20. The Last Fireworks
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Humid, damp evening.

I thought I was late, but it seems not because someone who should guide me to my usual relaxation spot hasn't arrived yet. I'm curious about what's keeping her. But thinking too much doesn't seem useful because just now, she sent a message that said, "[Just come inside. I'm waiting there.]" So, don't mind if I do.

My feet keep moving forward. Both my hands are tucked in the pockets of my short cargo pants. After some thought, is it okay to come just in short pants, a plain shirt, and a jacket? I think Hana won't really mind, so I choose my outfit casually.

Well, regretting is kind of useless now. I'm already here. Just a few dozen steps past this almost muddy ground, and I'll be there.

Finally, the setting sun rays hit my retina. It's too bright, I have to cover my face with my palm. But I've arrived. I look around and see things I've never seen before in this place.

Under an old tree, a round table with an partially opened umbrella is planted in the middle. It seems like the umbrella is extended with a pipe so it can stretch higher. Around the table are two slightly uneven chairs standing on the wavy and muddy ground. On one of the chairs sits a girl.

The girl is wearing a quite fashionable outfit. I'm surprised by her improved sense of fashion lately. I think Chika has a hand in this, but even if my heart is a bit biased, I can say that Hana Binatha looks very beautiful.

Her ankle-length skirt is salmon pink. Her blouse, coconut white, and her blouson give a warm impression with its cream color. She wears shoes without heels, I don't know its name, though. Then her neck is adorned with a snow-white scarf.

"Have you been waiting long?" I ask sarcastically.

"Not really, maybe I'm the one who made you wait long," she replies with an intonation almost similar to my previous statement. Then, Hana beckons me with a wave of her hand.

With a little laugh, I bow and quickly go to her side.

We chat for quite a while, completely ignoring the disappearing sun.

"Is your skirt okay? Did it get mud on it?" I ask.

"Hm? No, it's fine. Well, my shoes are a bit dirty, though," she answers while lifting her foot slightly under the table.

Then, she smiles mischievously. A smile that sends shivers down my spine.

"Arkan... were you sneakily glancing at me all this time?" she says with a mischievous tone.

Her words surprise me greatly. It's true, I've been looking at Hana all this time, but could she tell? I feel embarrassed, and my face seems to blush a bit. So, I cover my face and throw it away.

Well, maybe it's better to be honest, right?

"W-Well, you do look beautiful," I say hesitantly.

Then silence. She doesn't respond to the words that came out of the mouth of this still innocent high school boy. I'm curious, so I turn back to Hana.

To my surprise, I see Hana's face looking astonished and blushing. Seriously?! If she's embarrassed too, I'm even more embarrassed.

"A-Are you embarrassed?" I ask playfully.

"N-No! I'm not." she replies loudly while covering her face. "You dummy."

Not satisfied, I continue teasing Hana until she almost throws her bag at me. If I didn't apologize lightning-fast, that bag might have landed on my face. Then, she slowly puts the bag back on the table.

"Stop fooling around. I'm sorry. So eat this cake, will you?" Hana says while taking out a different tote bag.

She opens the bag and places it on the table—a long chocolate layer cake that might be about 30 cm long, although its width is probably only about 5 cm. The buttery aroma wafts into my nose. An appetizing aroma combined with its beautiful and neat appearance.

"Woah... did you make this yourself?" I ask to confirm.

"... No. I bought it," Hana says with a slightly low tone.

Then, Hana takes out a plastic knife specifically used to cut the cake and number candles, each showing '1' and '8'. Oh right, it's my eighteenth birthday today.

I watch the girl carefully placing the two candles side by side on the cake. Then, she takes a match from her pocket. She strikes the match against the box, creating a flame. Suddenly, a small light illuminates us. The light feels very bright because we haven't turned on the lamp yet.

The small flame sways due to the wind, or rather, the gentle vibrations of Hana's soft hand trying to protect the flame from the wind. Hana's serious expression could make me laugh. But I can't laugh because no matter how small the thing she does, Hana always does it seriously.

Finally, both candle wicks ignite. The source of light increases, from just a small light on its own, now assisted by its two equally small companions, illuminating the dark sky above us. Amongst this dark forest, these three lights become bright lanterns.

However, a tragic end awaits the fire on the matchstick. Its time to illuminate the world has come to an end. Before it could burn Hana's fingers, the fire extinguishes first, leaving only the two candle flames illuminating and providing warmth for the rest of their lives.

"Arkan. Happy birthday."

Warm and gentle words from a girl I like. I don't know since when I heard those words from someone other than my mother. I clench my fists, trying to hold back the emotions inside.

I wipe away a few tears.

"Yes. Thank you."

After finishing the chocolate layer cake given by Hana, I rinse my mouth with water from the bottle she also provided. She really prepared this surprise down to the smallest details. Maybe what people say is true, the older you get, the less you care about things like this. Therefore, when days like this come, although rarely, it can evoke a strong sense of nostalgia.

"So, what's our next schedule, Hana?" I ask.

"Can you stop with that formal tone? It doesn't suit you," she replies coldly.

How mean. Is she angry?

She continues, "Nothing. We just have to wait until the festival starts."

"Hm? Festival? Oh right. It's the 16th today," I realize. Because I was too focused on today being my birthday, I forgot that today is also the middle of the month. The festival is always held in the middle of the month.

If that's the case, we just need to wait a few more minutes. It's currently 7:55, and the festival usually peaks at 8 p.m. Therefore, I get ready. She has given me precious memories tonight, I will repay them immediately.

"Alright. Time to light it up," I say as I stand up from the chair.

"Light it up? What do you mean?" Hana asks in confusion. Odd, considering she saw my bag with the fireworks. Doesn't she realize?

If she doesn't, then, "Light up this," I just have to point it right in front of her.

"Woah, seriously?" she says, a little surprised.

I ask Hana to be with me, and she comes to my side.

while carrying the lighter she used earlier to light the cake candle. Her movements are like a kindergarten kid who just got a new toy. Honestly, I find it cute.

"We'll light it up together with those participating in the festival. Let's consider it our own festival," I say. Hana nods vigorously.

Soon, the first fireworks burst far into the horizon. Followed by several other fireworks, it's a signal for us to immediately participate in the excitement of this festival.

Hana strikes the lighter, and a small flame appears. The small stick with the flame is brought close to the fuse of the firework in my hand. Until the fuse catches fire and quickly heads into the inner part of the firework.

I unleash it towards the sky. Hana's palm also immediately grips the bottom tube of the firework tightly. Side by side, we both hold the same firework. However, Hana doesn't know that the firework she's holding now is different from the others, the one she normally had seen.

The first shot shoots off. The bang echoes loudly, while the small fireball soars high into the sky, then explodes into particles of light. Hana, witnessing it – as usual – is amazed by the sight right above her head.

The second shot shoots off. If my hand couldn't withstand the momentum of the firework, it would be very dangerous. However, the second shot successfully flies off and explodes nicely.

The third shot shoots off. "Eh..."

So, she finally realizes, huh?

The fourth shot shoots off. Particles of light from the previous explosions still float in the upper sky, only forced down by Earth's gravitational force.

"How can this...?" she wonders.

The fifth shot. The cluster of lights gets closer. I can even feel the warmth of those colorful blob of light. Although my hands feel more of the heat from this tube. Perhaps because of this reason, Hana releases her grip.

She walks forward, leaving me behind. As if chasing the light in front of her, she doesn't even look back. I want to call her, but my voice won't come out.

The sixth shot shoots off. Above us, a heap of light, like the Milky Way galaxy, illuminates our night. The sight is exactly the same as in the that world.

Hana, still walking, slips due to the slippery ground she stepped on. My hands become lax, and simultaneously, the seventh shot shoots off. She lets go, and the firework bounces behind me but directs itself forward, heading toward Hana.

Knowing it's still the seventh shot, I scream.

"HANA! MOVE AWAY!"

The eighth and final shot shoots off.

***

Ah, I fall. Damn, my foot slips on the mud as I walk towards those brilliance shining of light. Those which almost comes eternal.

A loud male voice screams, calling my name, then orders me to move away quickly. I don't understand, so I turn my gaze backward.

Instantly, a dazzling white light covers my entire field of vision. The intensity of the light makes my eyes ache for a moment, accompanied by an enormously loud explosion right in front of me. Both of my ears are ringing, the pain is severe. My eardrums feel like they're about to burst.

My thoughts are in disarray. The snatched vision and the persistently loud ringing in my ears make me dizzy.

Panic became my reaction. My body automatically become stiff, breathing so heavy that I can feel chest expand too big. Shortly after, my vision returns. The painful screeching sound disappears from my ears. My entire body feels limp, unable to move any of my joints. I finally can see again. Arkan is there, looking at me with a panicked and worried expression.

"...What just happened," I utter with a low and feeble voice.

"Hana! Are you okay???" Arkan says to me in a high tone.

While holding my aching head, I reply, "...Y-yes, I'm fine."

"Can you move?" he asks again while slowly walking towards me.

Honestly, I can't move at all. My body is completely limp, not a single one of my fingers can be lifted.

"Stay there; I'll come to get you," Arkan says.

Those reassuring words come once again from his mouth. Thank you, it seems I have to entrust this to him -

*GRREEEEKKKK*

What was that sound?!

In an instant, the ground beneath my feet feels a tremor and emits a resounding, echoing roar. Gradually, I feel my foothold shifting. Then, after understanding what is about to happen, I scream.

"DON'T COME CLOSER, ARKAN!"

Arkan, surprised by my scream, also seems to realize what is about to happen. Instead of following my command, he starts running towards me, adding an excessive load to the edge of the muddy cliff because of the rain.

What if we don't do it today? It's a bit risky to go there after last night's storm.

Those words comes to my mind like a lightning.

Ah, I fall again.

 
 
0