22. Her Wish
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You better explain everything, you little shit!" exclaimed the girl, gripping the collar of my shirt. I could barely breathe, but, my body doesn't even lift a finger, letting her act as she pleased. I no longer care about what this girl will do.

"Oi! Stop it!" interjects Tomi, mediating between the two of us. I step back, fixing my damaged collar.

"So, how did this happen?" Tomi asks with a serious tone. My gaze shifts between them, and finally, I take a deep breath and narrate everything to them, not forgetting any small details.

From a simple birthday celebration to a tragic catastrophe, I recount it all. For those who want to know, I'll reveal everything, even the current condition of Hana. After finishing my account, I feel numb. My mouth is no longer strong enough to speak. Meanwhile, they both remain silent, not uttering a single word even as I pour out my story.

*Plakkk*

Chika, standing next to Tomi, slaps me. It hurts, but I try not to calm myself. After all, telling the whole truth won't change anything. I'm the one at fault, and I know it.

"A truly disgusting way of talking. Do you think by speaking like that, anyone will sympathize with you? Don't make me laugh," she says in a low tone. "Right now, you're just hiding from your responsibilities, aren't you?!" she continues, raising her voice, seemingly preparing to strike.

"Enough!" Tomi stops Chika, who is about to hit me.

"Why?! This loser couldn't even save one girl! It all starts with this pointless birthday celebration! Coma? Trauma? Don't joke! All of this wouldn't happen if you... just once in your life, could save someone," Chika yells, crying.

"You have to know, it's not just you who is grieving!" Tomi shouts.

"But, this piece of shit!" she shouts as she struggle off Tomi's holding. 

"Stop it!" Tomi once again shouts while trying keep Chika on place.

I intervene, "Enough, Tomi. It's okay. It's already late, please don't be too noisy in the hospital," trying to change the topic. I continue, "Hana is still in surgery, but she will be moved to the patient room to monitor her condition. I'll stay with her tonight. You both can go home."

"... Alright. But please call us if anything happens. Don't try to bear everything alone," Tomi says, letting Chika, who is crying, stay in his embrace.

"That's my reliable friend," I reply shortly. "Yes. Definitely."

Though, I might not deserved it such friends.

***

The next day arrives. I sleep in the same room as Hana, on a comfortable sofa. If I'm not mistaken, I sleep around three in the morning, and now it's eight in the morning. Thankfully, I'm used to sleeping late.

I open the curtain, letting the morning sunlight in, hoping it will wake her up as if it's an ordinary morning, but her serene face remains unchanged since yesterday. I reach for her weak hand, like a lifeless body.

Hana's operation is scheduled for four in the afternoon, organized so that family members who want to visit can come in the morning or afternoon. Uncle Elard himself says he will come with Aunt Elly in the morning, around ten. I don't hear any news from her grandparents.

Uncle Eric and Tio also inform, saying they will try to come but are not sure. I really hope they will come.

Chika and Tomi will come in the afternoon, around two. But it's not just the two of them; Hana's friend, Laura, also seems to be coming to visit with them.

The day turns into evening. Now the clock shows its needle right at three. Most people who want to visit have come and gone before. I am still assigned to accompany Hana at least until tonight, then Aunt Elly will take over because I have to go to school tomorrow.

Since earlier, I just sit in the corridor in front of Hana's room. I don't feel like being inside. Therefore, I spend my time outside.

And suddenly, someone calls, "Hey, kid. Is this the patient's room for someone named Hana Binatha?" A man in his thirties wearing a black suit and tie, looking important like a really important figure. I wonder who he is. I have never seen him in this town, let alone the fact he knows about Hana.

"Yes. Who are you?" I ask while standing up.

He slightly bows, "I apologize for the late introduction. I'm Luke Luzman, Hana Binatha's father," he says in a humble tone.

My heart stops again upon hearing it. Hana's father is visiting her?! I don't hear anything about this!

"So, is Hana inside?" he asked while shifting his gaze towards the wooden door of Hana's room.

I answer, "Uh, yes. She's in, but she's in a coma," hurriedly and nervously.

He sighs and says, "... Coma."

No way I'm gonna let the father of the person that is on dire situation just standing here. So, I open the wooden door of the room and let him in. I keep the room's light off so that Hana will be illuminated only by the sunlight.

Suddenly, he stops midway through the door. As his face shows complete shock.

"... Hey, are you sure about Hana being in a coma?" Hana's father suddenly speaks. "Yes?" I answer in confusion, then turn to the sleeping Hana. There, I see Hana lying on the bed, just like the last time I saw her. However, her eyes are wide open. She blinks. Am I dreaming?

"Hana... are you awake?" I ask nervously. Then, she slowly shifts her gaze, previously straight ahead, towards the two of us. Truly incredible, Hana is already conscious. I fall to my knees, not believing what I am seeing.

Her father quickly approaches his only daughter. "Dear, how are you feeling?" with a very gentle and friendly tone.

Hana smiles as she looks towards her father, then says, "I'm fine, Father."

"... Tell me the truth," her father emphasizes.

The conversation that follows is so quiet that I can't hear a single word that comes out of their mouths. It seems like they are hiding something from me. However, this might be just a personal interaction between Father and Daughter, so I just stand there far away.

"... How did you end up like this, Hana?" Suddenly, his tone becomes sad, as if holding back tears. His right hand holds one of his daughter's hands.

Without warning, I also speak, "It's all my fault! Your daughter became like this because my mistakes in protecting her! My reckless actions put her into this. Please forgive me."

"... And you? Who are you?" he asks directly to me.

Immediately, "I'm Reza Arkan. Hana's classmate," I answered while bowing.

"Ah... you're the one Hana often mentioned on the phone," he said. Then, "... Let's talk," he invites me, who is standing next to the door.

His invitation felt like an invitation to death for me. We both went out together, leaving Hana inside. Honestly, I'm really nervous now. Whatever punishment or anger I receive, I will try to swallow it.

Outside, we are just sitting next to each other on the hallway bench, leaving the door room open. Unexpectedly, Hana Binatha's father, Luke Luzman, bows to me. Surprised, I try to make him lift his head.

"W-What are you doing, sir? Please raise your head!"

"Thank you. For everything you've done for my daughter, thank you."

"Your daughter... I didn't do much. She managed to find her own way. I just provided encouragement," I explain.

"Encouragement that I couldn't give her. I have failed as a father."

"..."

"But unfortunately, everything has to end like this."

His words shock me again and confuse me. "What do you mean?"

"Hana... doesn't have much time left."

What... did he just say?

"What are you saying..."

He takes a long breath, as if about to say something heavy. "Earlier, when I asked if she was okay, she said 'yes,' but I've known my daughter since she was born. I know when she's lying. So, I pressed her, and she said, 'I can't... anymore' in a very soft voice. She didn't want you to hear that, it seems."

What does he mean...? Hana doesn't have anymore time? But she just regained consciousness! I don't understand!

"But she was just right there, having her eyes open!" I shouts in denial.

Oh, yes! The doctors! I have to call them right away!

I rush to the doctor's office, while passing the open window frame only to be stopped by the faint voice of a woman calling my name.

"Ar... kan..."

My movements stop instantly. That fragile and sad voice manages to make my chest ache. This is the first time she called me with such a tone because usually, all of her tones sound cheerful, even if was fake.

I turn to the open room and see Hana's gaze fixed on me. A powerless gaze, like withered leaves, contrasting with the brightness of her blue eyes. That gaze seems to call me to come to her side again. I... can't.

But somehow, I can't deny her. So, I approach Hana's bed, only I stand right in front of her. She keeps tapping her hands, asking me to stand by her side, but I keep refusing until she finally gives up.

Her dark pink lips move, "Ar...kan. As a... compensation for... your surprise, I want a fireworks festival... for myself. Can you... prepare it?" while uttering some difficult words.

Again, a strange request from her. Compensation for my surprise? We don't have time for that!

Moreover, a fireworks festival for Hana?

...

Oh. She's talking about that ceremony.

What should I do? I'm confused. No, not because I can't do it, in fact, I know exactly how to do it. But, can my heart accept it as if... Hana is saying she wants to die?

"What does Hana mean?" her father comes over to me and asks.

My whole being wants to say, 'It's nothing,' but I can't. I can't lie about the last wish of a beloved daughter to her father.

A ceremony, 'Release Ritual' is its name. From its name alone, one should already know that it is intended for those who want to release themselves from worldly burdens and rest peacefully in the sky while being showered with the warm light of fire fairies. This ritual is performed when someone is already confirmed not to live much longer, so we all consider this ritual as a passage for their souls to the high heavens. With fireworks as their guide and ensuring the safety of their journey, they fly and release their attachments to this world.

That's my explanation to Luke Luzman, as Hana's father. Now, how will he react?

"... Is that so," he says shortly as if his mind is consumed by something. Then, he walks towards his daughter's side and gently strokes her hair while saying, "You are exactly like your mother."

"I understand...," he says shortly and fluently. Then, he looks at me. He tries to smile while saying, "How about it, Arkan? Can you prepare it?"

Again. This huge responsibility is handed over to me. Why? Why only me?

I clench both hands with frustration. Then, I ask for permission to leave the room for a while to think about it. "... Give me a moment."

The visitor's chair in front of the patient's room turns out to be empty. I take it and sit down, lying down my entire body. I'm not physically tired, but mentally this is an absolute torture. Trials like this one after another. Why should this responsibility be on me?

The door to the patient's room opens again. Hana's father also came out and approached me. He sits right beside me.
"I'm sorry. It seems like my daughter always burdens you," he says. I don't respond.

"...."

"... That child really is like her mother," he continues while rubbing his palms. "From food, favorite animals, even school subjects, that child likes what her mother likes. Even..., the way they want to die is the same," he says. I'm startled to hear that.

He continue, "Just like in the past, during my wife's final moments. She asked me to light a firework at the time of her death. She said she wanted to see the colorful fireworks for the last time from the hospital window. I, without thinking too much and understanding her feelings, immediately refused because my main objective is to keep her alive."

"But now, I understand her intention. It is her wish, not my selfish desire. I think I am truly foolish because I had to be advised by my own child. Because... when I married my wife, I couldn't weigh all her desires. My thoughts were limited to, 'She loves me, I love her very much,' that's all to it. A truly foolish thought."

He stands up, looking at me with determination.

"And now, I have made a decision. I will let her go, even if by doing so, I will truly be alone. But please, make this farewell the best for her."
Then, he bows to me. "I beg you."

I sigh and let it out. Continuously wondering what is called belief, strength, determination. Even though there is already tangible evidence in front of me, I just have to follow it.

"Vey well. I will do it."

0