23. A Goodbye to The Everblooming Light
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even though I say I'll prepare it, and I know how. If no one helps me, the ritual can't proceed. Therefore, I call friends close to me and also to Hana, as well as Hana's acquaintances for help.

I call Tio. Of course, with his help, everything will go smoothly. However, how should I convey this?

My voice hesitates to come out, Tio just stays silent, not saying anything from there. Until I gather all my courage and convey Hana's request for the last time. Tio hears it, is surprised, and asks about Hana's condition. I can only inform him based on what Luke Luzman, Hana's father, says. Then..., he agrees.

Next, Uncle Elard. I really don't want to inform him, but I have no choice. Based on his take on this matter last night, I can be a little relieved, but my heart still finds it difficult to express.

I press the button, and the call connects. I don't talk much because I want to save time and just say that Hana wants to do the 'Ritual.' He stays silent for a few seconds and then replies, 'Alright, I'll try to help too.' Then, he hangs up.

Next is Tomi. He quickly answers my call and carefully examines each of my words. He doesn't ask me why suddenly everything is like this. He just says, 'I'll help.' The guy is reliable at the wrong time continuously. Even if I hope you to be the opposite, you won't.

I ask Tomi to contact the others too. All the friends Hana knows. Because, at least, I want everyone to pray for the success of this ritual. Also, I ask Tomi to pick up Chika, whom I'll call soon.

The notification sound of the phone vibrating right in my ear. Then, the sound disappears, and it is replaced by the voice of a girl my age. Even though I know, at the moment, she doesn't want to hear my voice.

[...]

"... Chika."

[... Yeah?]

"Can you help me with that ritual?"

[What ritual?]

"... Release Ritual."

[... For who?]

"Ha... Hana."

[Are you kidding?! Wasn't her condition stable?!]

"Chika...! This is Hana's own wish."

I hear a rustling sound as if holding back tears from behind this phone. Damn, I have to be strong now, and I'm letting this easily pierces through my emotional shield?

[... Fine.]

"Tonight. Please. Thank you."

[Promise me one thing first.]

"..."

"Let me punch you once again."

"... Do as you want."

The call is cut off. Go ahead, you can hate me as much as you want. I have never once made an issue out of it.

The time has come. I, Hana's father, and Hana herself, unconscious, are in the car right next to me, which has just arrived at the entrance to the forest route I usually use to hide.

We both get out carefully not to hurt Hana's very fragile body. Then, I hand Hana over to her father to carry, and I walk beside him, guiding to the promised place.

The more I step and get closer to the destination, the heavier the nervousness and the desire to turn back. Especially with my injured leg.
We arrive where all these tragic events began. My brain is instantly flooded with horrifying memories. I almost vomit. However, I try to swallow it back and keep walking.

There are already some people there. Chika, Tomi, Tio, Laura, and Uncle Elard are watching us. We approach Tio first to confirm the readiness of the ritual.

"How is it?" I ask.

He replies by opening his bag and pulling out a fireworks tube, handing it to Hana's father, and a modified scented lighter to me.

"Everything is ready."

I nod, and I look around. It seems that others are waiting for us to finish. Shortly, even without orders, everyone is in position. On the left row, there's Tio and Tomi, while on the right row, there's Laura and Chika, both of them seem on edge to hold back their tears. Uncle Elard watches us from behind.

I position myself next to Hana and her father. My task is to accompany the guardian to hand over the one who wants to be free from the shackles of the world. My gaze continues to be fixed on the point where I lost Hana. The traces of the landslide can still be seen.
Hana opens her eyes. She looks forward. Her eyes meet the night city view she loves so much. I see her eyes welling up, and her mouth smiles happily. Her smile gives me comfort and relief again. Relief that drives away the guilt of choosing the wrong answer.

I say, "Hana, everything is ready. Everyone here is for you. We are ready to perform the ritual."

She turns towards me, "Yes, thank you. Please cooperate...!" then turns to others while smiling happily from her heart.
And that smile is what shakes my heart.

"Arkan, can I ask you to be the guardian in this ritual? I think you are the one worthy of it," Hana's father speaks, suggesting that I should lead this ritual.

"But..."

Hana interrupts, "Please, Arkan. I want you to accompany me to the end."

I look around. Everyone nods simultaneously, except Chika, who needs a few seconds to convince herself that this is Hana's wish, not mine.

"... Fine."

Hana's father and I exchange roles. The father with the lighter, like someone who triggers this life to live and illuminates the dark world, and

I with the fireworks, as a support for this life to continue to radiate its light.

I start it. Take a deep breath and exhale. Without wind, this is the right time.

"... Hear our call, O Heaven!"

We both step our feet together, with that, the ritual has begun. As well as its 'welcome.'
The first row, Tio and Laura, light the fireworks they hold. Then, point them towards the sky. This is a form of greeting that we give to the 'Heaven' as something respected in our traditions.

We pass through them between the fireworks shots. Then, we almost pass the second row. They also light their fireworks, also as a form of greeting. Until finally, we stand at the edge of the cliff. Right where I failed to save her.
The fire of the fireworks rains down on us like luminous snow. I just realized that this has the same duration as the one I made for Hana's.

Again, I inhale and exhale.

"O Heaven! Can you see the suffering this girl has experienced?!"

"Do you yourself think this innocent girl deserves to be treated like this cruel world treats her?!"

"No! Not at all! You never think that, we believe so. However, you who accept the souls that are tired of this world, can you give this girl a good resting place?!"

"A peaceful and warm place. The light given by the fireworks we provide warms. Are you willing to take Hana to that place?!"

"Answer us! O Heaven!"

Hana's father then lights the fireworks, and I direct the fuse of the of the fireworks that I hold with my left hand towards him. Hana also tightly grips the tube, directing it right above us. The shot of the fireball soars high into the sky covered by dark clouds and explodes. This repeats several times until my last bullet. Shortly, the last dew of fire falls and disappears below the cliff. The 'Heaven' does not answer our call.

Until a small light is seen from a distance coming from the direction of the city. The small ball rises into the sky and explodes. Followed by several, no, many fireworks from the city residents.

Suddenly, a strong wind hits us very hard. The clouds covering the face of the sky move away and are carried by the wind, revealing a dark blue color with dense spots of stars decorating it. The previously hidden moon finally reveals itself.

This amazing sight feels not much different from the Ilutu City Festival held twice a year. Truly beautiful. The dark blue sky contrasts with the lively and light-filled earthly surroundings.

I continue, even though all this will come from the depths of my own heart.

"O Heaven! Look! Many lights below you are calling for the goodness of this girl!"

"Frankly from me, I don't care about them! I don't want this girl to leave this world! I continue to pray for the failure of this ritual. I am consumed by my own selfishness!"

"I love Hana Binatha! I want her to continue to be by my side!"

"Her cheerful nature! Her foolishness in actions! Her personal problems! Her beauty on stage! Everything! I love everything about Hana Binatha!"

"Even so, I can't make her sad again. Therefore, I will follow her wish. Therefore, I will surrender her to her final destination, among the glow of warm fireworks!"

I finish screaming, expressing the turmoil in my heart. My throat is dry and sore, causing me to cough. I run out of breath and have to continuously inhale oxygen.

"Arkan..." Hana calls my name softly and fluently. I turn. "Really... thank you so much...!" she says with a face full of joy and happiness. If I see her like this, I can't even be angry anymore.

Then, she closes her eyes as if relaxing her body carried by her father like a prince carrying his beloved princess. I see her facing upwards, moving her lips, trying to say something.

Then, the soft and delicate lyrics are heard, accompanied by the embers of the fireworks raining down like leaves in autumn.

♪ Oh, little sparks in the sky, how are you flying freely into the night? ♪

♪ Like fireflies dancing with grace, a mesmerizing sight ♪

♪ Your presence ignites the darkness, a beacon in the vast expanse ♪

♪ A symphony of twinkling stars, a celestial dance ♪

♪ But your light, soon will fade, like a fleeting shooting star ♪

♪ But the joy you bring, beyond measure, an ethereal relief ♪

♪ So let us embrace your shimmering grace, as the night unfolds ♪

♪ For even in your departure, your essence forever holds ♪

♪ Yet in our memories, your brilliance forever will reside ♪

♪ A goodbye to the vivid sparkles ♪

The fragile and weak voice of the princess singing, but also like poetry, sounds beautiful in my ears. We, bathed in the light of the fireworks, just remain silent, listening to the girl's final chant.

Until one of the small sparks touches me. Providing a warmth that feels incredibly comfortable in the moment of her last life. Shortly, the living ember disappears. So does Hana's burden in this world. Everything is done.

Her small hand holding the fireworks with me releases its grip.

Farewell, the sparkle of life.

0