Epilogue – Now That The Light Had Fade
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now, how should I finish this?

Friday lessons, the last school day of the week. It takes about thirty more minutes before we, the third graders, can go home and enjoy the weekend we always look forward to. Not because of anything, just that everyone is usually tired because after school there are usually extra lessons, additional study for college entrance exams, or something like that. Our third-grade class is busy there right now.

Ah, the reason I'm confused like this is because the time I need is far from enough. Seriously! Why do I have to work on a ten-page essay just because I'm five minutes late?!

Even worse if I'm late to submit this to the duty teacher, I'll get another five-page punishment. I think my hand will die first because of that. It feels so tiring to have to do these annoying chores while focusing on class. My hand is about to become conscious and wants to commit suicide immediately after.

Twenty minutes have passed, and I'm almost done with my essay. Oh well, once I'm done with this, I'll just go home and sleep. Maybe I can spend the night reading a novel or comic when I wake up later at midnight.

I finish my assignment and quickly go to the teacher room to hand it over to the teacher who was giving me this assignment in the first place. Finally, I'm free. The reason I was late is because I didn't ride my bike today, so I had to use public transportation. While walking out of the school compound, something comes to mind.

Suddenly, my thoughts come to the topic before.

Ah, it feels weird if I judge all third graders equally like that. Some might not want to go to college and prefer to work directly, like helping their family's business, for example. Tomi is one of them. He told me that he wouldn't pursue college and would rather help his parents' business. If I'm not mistaken, it's a traditional food restaurant. I've visited once, and my impression was quite good. The food were fine, and the customary is decent. I've taken quite a liking, overall.

There are also those who are still determined to pursue their extracurricular activities. Chika can be an example. Until now, she hasn't resigned from the Track and Field club because she still has one last competition to do. After that, she'll retire.

Wait, if I'm not mistaken, isn't her competition this weekend?

Well, for myself. Maybe I still cling to the principle of 'Just go follow the flow.' Because that's the easiest thing to go through.

"I actually want to continue to college," someone's sentence suddenly crosses my mind. It's been a month since then, and you're still here, aren't you?

That's true. Maybe I can pursue a dream while studying. I wonder what will catch my attention this time?

***

*DORRRR*

The sound of the referee's pistol shot echoes throughout the stadium. The runners swiftly sprint from the starting line of the 100-meter Women's National Sprint Race. There are six participants competing for speed. One of them, I know.

Chika Rain, who is now in second place, is competing for first place held by a woman wearing a black and white jersey labeled 'No. 3,' while Chika is wearing a pink jersey labeled 'No. 2.'

They have circled about 75% of the track. Gradually, Chika manages to overtake the participant labeled 'No.3' and reaches the finish line as the first champion.

Everyone in the spectator seats cheers loudly, while I just sit there clapping. Well, at least she deserves it, for all the hard work she put into this final competition.

Chika heads to a platform arranged with First, Second, and Third Champion. Oh, they immediately give her the medal and certificate.
Chika bites the gold medal she receives. Once again, the audience cheers, Party Popper fireworks explode, and many colorful confetti fall.

Ah, once again I'm reminded of her. The sound of the pistol shot and now this. Somehow, my mind always links things like this to the time when Hana and I always set off fireworks together.

"Well, I've congratulated the winner of the race, it's time for me to go home," I say to myself as I stand up from the spectator seat and head towards the stadium exit.

Although I said I'm going home, it doesn't mean I'm going straight home. Today, I choose to stop by my personal sanctuary, perhaps, for the last time.

I tread the dark forest route again. It hasn't changed even after three years. This city hasn't changed much either. The Ilutu City Festival has more tourists because the 'Dance of the Fireworks' once made into national news. Of course, Hana was the dancer. That happened at last year's festival.

Just how much changes did she made?

Too much is the answer. Too much have changed since that girl came to our city. Whether it's for better or worse. In this city now, there isn't anyone who doesn't know the name of Hana Binatha. That's good, but spreading Hana's personal data to the public is not a good thing. Although she probably doesn't really care now. Everyone sings her praises, but I myself see the girl as always careless one, who thought she can't make any friends in the first day she came into school.

Then I arrive. A wooden table with two chairs fills its empty space welcomed me. Well, I'm not here to brew tea and relax, so I won't sit there. Wait, I came here to relax, just not there.

Of course, I chose to just hang out at the edge of the cliff. While being caressed by the gentle breeze, it feels so comfortable. Oh no, it's too calm and quiet here, I might fall asleep. At that moment, I heard footsteps behind me.

I quickly turn around, expecting it to be her. But it wasn't.

"... What's this. How did you know I'm here?" Chika said, pretending to sneak up silently.

I turned my head back to the scenic view. "I'm used to it because of the behavior of a certain someone who has no manners."

"Hana, huh. Hahhh... I can't believe why Hana would spend time here with someone like you," she said sarcastically.

What's wrong with her? Coming uninvited and suddenly starting a fight.

"What do you want?"

"Nothing. Just wanted to say thank you."

I asked, "Thank you? For what?"

She then turned her face sideways and hid her hands behind her back. "... You came to my last match today, didn't you? Thank you."

Wow... what's gotten into her?

I never imagined Chika Rain, who I always thought would hate me for the rest of her life, would thank me just for something trivial like that.

"Are you... really. Chika? You're not sick, aren't you? Is your fatigue so heavy that it's making you delusional? Come on, I'll take you to the hospital," I replied sarcastically.

The girl's face turned crimson. "You're annoying! I'm really grateful to you! For coming today, and for letting me be friends with Hana!"

"Huh?"

"Thank you for making me friends with that girl. If you hadn't stopped me then, maybe we wouldn't be like this now," she said, slightly bowing her head. Wow, very rare indeed.

I, who have never seen this side of Chika Rain, am amazed. I never thought she could think like this. At that moment, I didn't even think my intervention with her encounter with Hana could change her like this.

"Thank goodness. Looks like I don't have to use that recording of you from middle school," I replied, returning with sarcasm.

"You're really!" she shouted fiercely. Then she said, "Here, you make Hana do weird things here, right?!"

I heard that sentence and got triggered. "Huh?!"

"Answer the damn question!"

I said in an angry tone, "What do you mean by saying that?!" Then, I try calming down and say, "... Huff. It's better if you stop that. It's not good. Hana is..."

"No. She's still here."

What is she blabbering about now?

"Hana is still here," she said firmly for the second time.

I am tired of listening to her rants, so I say, "Listen, okay. I'm relaxing, and you're disturbing my personal spac-"

*SMACK*

"Weren't you the one who said it yourself! We can give light and warmth with just fireworks! Isn't that what it means, that they can still feel our love and affection?! " she retorted after hitting my back quite hard.

Ouch, it hurts.

"That's you keeping your promise. A man won't back down from his words, right?" she whispered to me.

I thought what now, it turns out she's just demanding her promise to let her hit me from that time.

But that's how it is, right. True, if you think logically, it could be like that too.

Ah, finding thoughts like this makes my heart move. Oh wait, I don't want Chika to see me like this. She'll end up joking me mercilessly later.

A few drops of tears fell from my eyelids. My voice became incoherent. I burst into tears. A feeling of happiness and emotion overwhelmed me. I close my eyes and try to stop them but failed, nonetheless.

"You know... I once met Hana in a strange world. We talked there for several full days. Small talk, finding new topics, until laughing together. I once asked her why she became like this, maybe it's because she moved to this city. Her family's hometown."

I felt two arms enveloping me around the neck.

"But... the most important factor in her change is because she met with you – with us. That's what Hana said. So... you don't have to worry. I'm equally guilty too...," she said, holding back her tears.

It feels like my tears can't be held back anymore.

The strong gust of wind in the evening made my tears flutter, like a dandelion flower when blown.

I cried.

 

Oh, hello! Congratulations on making it this far with me. This mark the end of "The Thoughts of A Firework".

A story about a girl who's in lost due to her condition of life. She has nowhere to go except for her Uncle and Aunt. Her father is a workaholic whether he wanted or not. Since the passing her Mother, she begins stray a new life on a foreign land. Only her Uncle and Aunt who has been visiting her can she rely on.

Overcoming her previous painful memories. She learn what is the meaning of 'Friendship'. She learns new things about her family that are buried deep within. A fireworks, she finds some resemblance of herself into that fire magic. So, she pursue it, leading her knowing about her mother past.

To let go of your past, you must face it first. A story comesback to her, a tragedy that left her on trauma again, just right before. But fortunately this time, she has all her friends supporting her. Those friends that she make in a weird way, ends up being her pillar of life that sustains her physically and mentally.

A story is ended, as expected. Just as a Sparklers fireworks reaching its end. At last, the light that shines this world shall fade, too. But, that light won't just leave without any legacy. All the things she did, the changes she made into the Ilutu City, the form of friendship they left, and a feeling of unreached love. Those are the legacy of Hana Binatha.

Thank you so much for reading up this point. I will continue my hobby as a writer on a project called 'A Paper Piece of Her' which is started already.

Once again, thank you and I hope you have a good day ahead of you. 

0