Chapter 48: The Black Cat
5k 11 248
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time and time again, a black cat could be seen skilfully leaping from one rooftop to another in Seireitei. No one knew where this cat came from or how it could dodge any Shinigami that tried catching it.

This agile cat had become a mystery, and an often-told story among the Gotei 13.

The cat was, in fact, Yoruichi Shihōin, a banished Shinigami who was exiled along with Kisuke Urahara and Tessai Tsukabishi.

Before her banishment, her reputation in the Soul Society was legendary. Few were given the title of 'Shunpo Master,' but Yoruichi went further in her pursuit of agility, earning the respected title of ‘Flash Goddess.’ At one point in her life, she held the title for the youngest captain in the history of Onmitsukidō — the special forces of the Soul Society — as well as the Captain of the 2nd Squad of Gotei 13.

Like her noble titles, Yoruichi was born into the nobility of the prestigious Shihōin family, one of the five great noble clans of the Soul Society. Her family, renowned for their stealth and agility, were masters of Kidō — a unique form of combat derived from demon arts. As a princess, she carried the weight of expectations from the first day of her life. She didn’t lose to the pressure, rather she excelled in her family arts.

Even among the Shihōin, Yoruichi's abilities stood out. She was excellent in hand-to-hand combat, stealth, and had impressive control over Kidō spells. But, despite her noble birth and all its advantages, Yoruichi wanted something more. The formal lifestyle and strict rules irritated her free spirit.  She found hope in Kisuke Urahara, a man from a fallen noble clan who had come to live at the Shihōin Mansion with Tessai Tsukabishi. Despite his humble beginnings, Kisuke was a man of extraordinary talent.

While she had friends to spend time with, Yoruichi could not often leave the clan's estate. When her own family limited her freedom, Yoruichi came up with a creative solution - she developed a technique that let her turn into a cat at will.

Decades later, Kisuke became the Captain of the 12th Squad, and Tessai became the Captain of the Kidō Corps.

Less than a decade later, Kisuke and Tessai were arrested for experimentation on fellow Shinigami. Yoruichi was at a crossroads. Loyalty or duty? In a heartbeat, she gave up everything for her friends. Her status, her titles, her family - she left it all behind in order to help Kisuke keep his Shinigami powers.

The Central 46 labeled them as 'Exiled Shinigami,' forbidding them from entering Senkaimon, the doorway to Soul Society.

Did that keep Yoruichi away from the Soul Society?

Not at all.

Her ability to transform into a cat altered her Reiatsu signature just enough to sneak past the Senkaimon restriction. Thus, she made a new legend — the Legend of the Black Cat.

***

Currently, Yoruichi relaxed under the moonlight in her cat form, her tongue smoothly sweeping over the bowl filled with creamy milk. Her old pal Kūkaku Shiba savored the saké from a cup held in her tattooed arm — her only arm.

“Yoruichi, you have balls of steel to pull that off with Byakuya Kuchiki.”

Kūkaku had met Byakuya once in Seireitei. The first meeting alone made her quite terrified of Byakuya’s Reiatsu and his icy demeanor. As bold as Kūkaku was, she wouldn’t dare mess around with Byakuya.

"Playing tag with him was a thrill," the black feline replied, her masculine contradicting her actual gender — a trait exclusive to her feline form."The lad is still training under his old man?"

Despite being the same age, she treated Byakuya as if he was way younger than her.

"I believe he is," Kūkaku confirmed, setting down her saké cup to pick up her pipe, taking in a satisfying, smoky drag. "Won't be long before he succeeds as the 28th head of Kuchiki Clan and takes on the Captain position in the 6th Squad."

“Still won’t beat me in speed.” Yoruichi laughed as she cleaned her whiskers with her paw. “Nyaa…. I am feeling sleepy now.”

“It’s my time to sleep, too. You can stay the night here.”

“Don’t mind if I do.”

Yoruichi harbored a special fondness for Kūkaku, primarily because of her unfiltered, down-to-earth nature. In stark contrast to the pretentious nobility, Kūkaku acted according to her heart, giving no care to what others thought of her.

They shared an unyielding spirit and philosophy, leading their lives according to a unique creed — to never shy away from bold choices even if they changed their lives forever.

As Yoruichi curled up on the wooden floor, the fluttering wings of a butterfly disturbed her peace. A Jigokuchō, the spirit butterfly traditionally employed as a messenger by the Shinigami, drifted around her.

“Shop awaits you.”

The message, as devoid of emotion as the emptiness of space, echoed within her mind, prompting her eyes to widen in alarm.

“Kisuke?”

She hastily departed for the Living World.

The moment Yoruichi entered Kisuke's living room, she found him poised in quiet contemplation, his hand restlessly fidgeting with the brim of his hat. They hadn’t met each other for almost a decade now, a time frame considered months for the long-living Shinigami race.

“Kisuke?”

"Yoruichi, you've returned," Kisuke greeted, his usually jovial tone swapped for an uncharacteristically somber one. "Shall we catch up before or after milk?"

“I’m not hungry. Tell me, how did you send a Jigokuchō?”

“They only restricted me from entering Senkaimon. It’s easy to imbue Jigokuchō with a Reiatsu signature different from mine.”

“You’re still obsessed with that? Are you that desperate to enter the Soul Society?”

“Obsession is the greatest driving force,” Kisuke mused, waving his paper fan. “Now, what did I call you here for?”

Yoruichi brought her paw up and flashed her sharp claws. “I can cut nine thousand times in a second. Do you want to test me?”

Kisuke raised his hands in a gesture of surrender. “We have a problem. A big problem.”

“A problem you can’t solve on your own?”

She had seen him coming up with ingenious solutions that nobody could have ever thought of. His intellect and adaptability were terrifying, even for her.

Kisuke nodded in affirmation. “Today I met a man.”

"A man, you say?" Yoruichi's chuckle tinged the air with mild mockery. "Who knew our Kisuke Urahara swung that way?"

Kisuke swatted her head lightly with his fan. “Let's focus, shall we? How many people know about Aizen’s true nature?”

“Huh? That would be us and the Visored. The man you met today—”

“Yup, he knows about Aizen’s hypnosis and his betrayal. There is something more bizarre, Yoruichi. He is part of the Quincy Clan.”

“Quincy? Now that’s a name I haven’t heard for a century.” Yoruichi narrowed her golden eyes. “Who leaked it to him?”

“So it wasn’t you. It must be one of the Visored. They opened their mouth against their will or—”

“—It’s another one of Aizen’s tricks to shake us. That bastard is like a fox.”

Kisuke couldn’t help but let out a chuckle. “Oh, how interesting it’d be if Aizen is pulling the strings here.”

His intuition told him otherwise, but he never trusted his judgment against Aizen. The treacherous Shinigami had shown to manipulate the Central 46’s judgment. How hard would it be to send a man at their doorstep pretending to oppose Aizen?

Yoruichi snorted. “Interesting for you only. A pain in the ass for the rest.”

“Don’t worry. We'll get to the bottom of this tomorrow when we have a heart to heart with our Quincy 'friend'.”

Favorite if you liked it!

248