Chapter 12 – 6 Verbeau, Capital of Yorland (6)
76 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ark - And good luck with NNN >_o

The Capital of Yorland, Verbeau, is in sight. Sebastien our chauffeur parks the airship in an empty clearing. The barrier I set up around the airship distorts space and perception such that even the shadow of the ship goes unnoticed. I saw this sort of psychic barrier back on Earth, when the members of the Bleak Moon Society used it.

This barrier messes with a person’s recognition on a subconscious level, causing them to disregard any unnatural phenomena. In their minds nothing wrong is going on and soon they’ll forget that this airship even exists.

Maeve was explaining the theory behind this barrier, something about cognition interference and how the brain stores memories. Like a computer’s RAM storage, the memory of the airship is deemed temporary and discarded.

It’s not like I need to understand the underlying logic behind a psychic barrier. So long as I know what it does I can replicate it in my own way. But according to Maeve it’s a wonder that I can use sophisticated psychic powers given my calculating power.

If using powerful ESP requires math formulas and calculations, then studying seems prudent. Sadly, studying is one of life’s banes, just don’t let Sister Therese hear you say that.

The girls are all set to go so I pull out a horse-driven carriage, one I bought as a cover-up disguise for the trailer, and load the asleep Adder. The interior is spacious as it’s a caravan type of carriage meant for merchants and their products.

We arrive at the gate to bear witness to a long line of carriages by the inspection point. It stands to reason that with the city in a festive mood around the princess’ wedding, security would be beefed up.

This line looks to be long but I don’t have any alternatives. In this situation it would pay to have an acquaintance high up, like the detective and her Solstice society for instance.

In this country of Yorland, I happen to know Baroness Mirenda and Lord Gosler, but they are far away from the capital so I can’t count on their help.

As I consider sneaking into the city, a familiar voice sounds in front of me. I raise my head up out of my thoughts and see an old lady. She is dressed in simple clothes with an ordinary looking chaperone, but this belies her true nature.

Abaleyn 「 Why, isn’t this little Becky? 」

Normally I’d be peeved if an old lady started calling me Becky, but since this granny is an ancient beast in human form, I’m inclined to let it go. Granny Abaleyn, who I met briefly back around Wahlburg, is here before me.

This old lady who looks far too energetic, is in reality a Dragon God that has lived for a long time. I can’t even see her status, not that she’s hiding it to begin with. The difference in our abilities is too vast that I might as well still be level 1.

Quite funny that I would run into her again, well before I could even visit her again for tea as promised. Did she know that I would be here? I don’t remember mentioning where I was headed.

I hope she didn’t read my mind or something. It might be possible for her to and maybe I’m dangerously spot on.

If I tried to use Analysis on her again, I’m sure the status shown would be a cryptic mess as before. Even if I’ve become stronger since I met her, there’s still an immutable wall between mortal and god.

Becca 「 Miss Abalenyn! 」

I give her a bow as a basic courtesy. That was close, I froze up upon seeing her and could have made her upset. I was able to run through my thoughts at light-speed and respond in a timely manner and avoid incurring her wrath.

Perhaps she could sense my chaotic thoughts, but she seems to ignore that and chastises me like a grandma would to her granddaughter.

Abaleyn 「 Like I said, just call me granny. I’m no one so special to receive such treatment. 」

I mean, mother of dragons, someone who has lived for several ages, if she isn’t qualified then who is? Plus, that butler next to her, I remember seeing him in her estate. He probably has considerable power if he can venture out with her.

I should use Analysis on him to find out his status, but only when Abaleyn isn’t present to catch me using it.

Becca 「 Granny Abaleyn, what are you doing here at the capital? 」

I ask her for the reason why she is here, completely ignoring the how. If she assumed her dragon form she could easily fly here. Although I’ve yet to see her dragon form, would it be a massive figure blotting out the sun?

Abaleyn 「 I’m just here to visit my sister. 」

The Dragon God has a sister? Would that also be an ancient and powerful dragon, here in the heart of Yorland? Or maybe an acquaintance on a similar level to a Dragon God? Maybe Abaleyn can really read minds since she answers my question.

Abaleyn 「 She’s a sister I met nigh on countless nights ago. I believe my sister goes by the name of Dionyss now? Although that was the name I heard 50 years ago. 」

Adder 「 Grand High Priestess Dionyss?! 」

Looks like Adder woke up already. He is peering out of the window at us after hearing Abaleyn. He looks spooked like we were talking about something outrageous.

Abaleyn 「 Oh my, is that what they call her? How hilarious. Sister Dionyss has never liked pompous titles and hierarchy. I’ll be sure to tease her when I see her. 」

Abaleyn resembles a mischievous child more than a cheerful granny. I’ve been victim to her teasing before but teasing someone like the Grand High Pirestess, that will be a sight to see. Perhaps Abaleyn will let us tag along to witness?

Adder 「 She talks of the High Priestess so fondly… who is she? This is probably something far beyond me. Or rather, miss Thorn knows this old woman? 」

If only I could whisper to Adder that this old woman is actually a god among dragons, he’d probably faint while standing stock still again. He looks ready to collapse, like a gentle breeze could topple him.

Now that I think of it, my earlier problem of not knowing influential people and being forced to suffer long waiting lines, isn’t that pretty much solved?

With Abaleyn here and her sister the Grand High Priestess Dionyss, I now have a way in. As a trade-off I might owe a favor to Abaleyn or this High Priestess, but that’s neither here nor there.

The sorriest person here might just be Adder though. At this rate I’m afraid he might just die of shock.

1