Chapter 6 – 4 | Frosthill’s Epidemic Part 1 (4)
336 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Doctor Fraude takes a vacant seat next to Lord Gosler. The doctor has an unhealthy complexion and his hands tremble just holding the tea cup he received from the butler. He seems sleep deprived and hyped on caffeine. I wonder if coffee exists somewhere in Yorland?

Gosler Doctor, you look like you could use some rest. When’s the last time you slept?

Fraude I remember a full moon that day.

When was the last full moon in this world?

Fraude So you called my lord?

Gosler Right. It seems these Keepers here just got to town and wish to assist in aiding the ill. I suggested they speak to you on that front.

Fraude Then you are the same as me. I came to this town after hearing about the symptoms the people suffered from. I’ve been researching both this affliction and a subsequent cure.

With my Restoration magic I could try to cure the people, but in this case I should just let the doctor handle it naturally so there are less questions about it. No one mentioned a death toll so it seems the illness isn’t too deadly. Plus with a cure even if I’m not around they can resolve it.

Becca What kind of ailment is this White Death?

Fraude It’s a disease that eats away at the skeletal structure over a long period. The effects are slightly fragile bones and higher risk of getting sick. It’s not a common disease nor one that spreads so not too many people have had it.

Becca But it sounds like that disease is spreading around in the town?

Fraude I have some theories about how that occurred. I have some colleagues looking into it so we should find out soon. Not much else I can say at this point. But coupled with poor conditions and it can lead to a high mortality rate sooner or later.

Becca So what can I help with?

Fraude Actually there is something a Keeper like yourself could help with. My research is progressing at a steady pace, but I’m afraid I’ll hit a road block soon. In researching a cure I’ve been studying a local fauna that shows a resistance to my tests. Unfortunately I’m almost out of samples and acquiring them is difficult for someone with my constitution.

Gosler Leave it to me. I’ll make a designated request for your party and hire you to retrieve the necessary materials for Doctor Fraude. What is the name of your team?

Becca Team? We don’t actually have a name do we girls?

Alice I vote Team Ramen!

Cheshyr How about Team Eternal Nightshade?

Laura Why not Team Thorn?

Like that we became Team Thorn and accepted a request from Lord Gosler. The details of the request was to go to the edge of the Silver Ravine and harvest some rare herbs. The target Rainbow Flowers are encircled by predatory Four-Winged Bees who prey on animals attracted to the nectar.

We purchased a map from the guild of the Silver Ravine and set out in the early daytime. I scanned the horizon and warped my party a couple times until we reached the ravine. A deep chasm opened up to us with wailing strong winds.

According to Envie the Silver Ravine has existed for almost a millennia as many tried in vain to reach its depths. The Four-Winged Bees are white and gold striped giant bees with razor edged stingers. I put up a barrier around Alice before we reach the place.

In my laziness I update the Map tab in my Menu skill to have a GPS search function. I highlight all the Rainbow Flowers within a couple miles and get a few hits. Makes gathering much easier.

The enemy proximity alert function of map tells me in red that some bees are approaching so I relay that to my party. We bring out weapons and ready magic spells. Except for me who has no weapons or strong magic spells. Makes my hands feel empty.

The bees attack us promptly. Laura vanishes in smoke with Darkness Magic, then next she appears behind one bee slashing its wing with a dagger. With three wings left the bee manages to keep afloat until Cheshyr shoots it down with a fireball.

Three more bees are left. Alice blows some harmless bubbles at the bees. Suddenly the bubbles explode vigorously with a loud bang on contact. That surprised me. Did she magically imbue her bubbles with destructive explosions? Maybe I was too liberal in making that bubble magic that I set no limitations on it.

Envie takes down another bee with a large ice shard and the last bee is tag-teamed by Mu and Fu. They struggle a bit so I help them with telekinesis holding the bee down. Mu has the shape-shifting skill so it takes the form of armor enveloping Fu. The armored pup charges into the bee and takes it down.

My party takes the highlight again without needing me to do anything. Maybe it’s a good thing. I can take it easy and let them do all the work. As a function in menu I have a party tab that details my party members. It lets me monitor their status in real time and as a side effect of being in a party we all share the experience the others gained.

My experience and levels keep going up without me putting up a fight. Hooray for experience sponges.

I scan the area with Map and no enemies show up. The Rainbow Flowers are located at the edge of the ravine so I scoop them carefully with my psychic powers and deposit them into Inventory where they’ll be safe.

Just then I get an alert that enemies are closing in and map shows 3 dots. Two dots are blue colored which means non-aggressors or friendlies. The last dot is a massive red which means a disaster.

A horde of giant rats chases two Keepers up to the cliff where we are. A pair of young boy and girl wearing loose protective gear is running in our direction pleading in their eyes. The swarm of rats is at Alice’s height with glaring red eyes and closing in. What to do?

7