Chapter 7 – 4 | Frosthill’s Epidemic Part 2 (4)
263 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone ignores Gosler who is aghast and trembling. His secret is out for the whole world to see. It was all because of that weakness that allowed the Abyss Star to take the cure. He practically handed it to them when it was ready.

The fact that he disappeared at the same time as the cure without a scuffle made me suspicious earlier, but it was only a hunch.

Dunfer’s men cautiously stare at us. The thick skinned lizard man snorts in ridicule.

Dunfer Even if you already caught on to our plans, what can you do? By legal rights, this cure belongs to my Abyss Star guild. I’m allowed to do whatever I please with it.

I cross my arms and try to stand imposingly.

Becca Well I have the right to beat you up and snatch that cure back.

Dunfer No you don’t.

He looks at me like I’m talking nonsense.

Becca Yeah I don’t, but that’s not going to stop me.

Dunfer What?

Dunfer freezes mid expression looking clueless and skeptical. In fact, everyone stops moving and even a bee nearby is frozen mid flight. This temporal manipulation skill is coming in real handy as I freeze time.

I walk up and grab the strongbox when I catch the young kid wrapped up in bandages staring at me. He couldn’t be staring directly at me could he? Time is frozen, I’m the only one who can move. The bandages cover their face but their eyes are still shining through, in my direction. It’s unnerving.

I warp back to my original place and resume time. I hold up the strongbox triumphantly.

Becca See? I got the cure. Now what are you going to do?

Dunfer What?! That’s impossible. It’s right here in my – The lizard-man with the fancy feathery hat stares dumbfounded at his empty hand as he clutches the air.

Dunfer How?! You – you stole my cure! Give it back!

Becca I don’t know, does it have your name on it? I only see Ricken’s name.

Dunfer You insufferable brat. Return it this instance, or pay the price!

What a thinly veiled threat.

Becca How about this? Let’s settle this the old fashioned way, with a series of duels. Nothing lethal, just a competition of sorts. We have around the same numbers so we’ll pit your guild against my team. The side with the most wins gets the cure.

Dunfer looks intrigued and assured, just needs a little push.

Dunfer Why should I wager what is rightfully already mine?

Becca Well a wager is only fair if you stand to win something for your effort. How about this? 100 pounds in liquid silver.

I produce a bucket of mercury crafted from raw mana. Crafting the raw substance doesn’t pose any problem for me. For an entrepreneur like Dunfer, I assume something like a never-before-seen precious metal would seem like liquid gold. His fervent eyes say I hit the mark.

Dunfer Liquid Silver you say? I’ve never heard of it. Let me take a closer look.

Becca It’s extremely rare and it’s price is in constant flux. I just happen to have some on me. If you want to take a closer look, just win it.

It doesn’t seem like mercury is well known in this world. He might actually believe that this mercury is a precious article. I hold out the bucket and sway it left to right, his eyes stuck like magnets to it.

He takes a cautious look at my group who all appear to be normal girls. He smirks like he won a bet.

Dunfer Deal!

Dunfer (These Keepers don’t look all that strong. My guild can easily wipe the floor with them.)

Or so I hear Dunfer thinking with my psychic mind reading.

We each take a moment to consult our party members about our lineup. Sending in a little girl like Alice wouldn’t do, so the five that will compete will be me, Cheshyr, Envie, Laura, and Lina.

The girls can take care of themselves in a fight, although Lina isn’t exactly a fighter, but the enchanted equipment I have on her should make her more sturdy. I’d say we have good odds of getting the most victories.

I came up with this arrangement because this is the first time I’ve run into an Exile Guild and I want to be wary of them. I’m not scared of the Abyss Star but I should keep in mind they could have friends in the other Exile Guilds. Having hidden enemies sounds like trouble.

Better to settle this with little bloodshed and try to leave their honor in tact.

6