Chapter 9 – 6 | The Hero of Wahlburg Part 2 (6)
207 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bigger Wyvern Lord descends to the field. With a glance I can tell that Wyvern Lord’s only differ from normal Wyverns in that their spines have spikes protruding, and what seems to be a crown of horns decorates their head.

My son! My… son?

The large Wyvern Lord looks at the younger Wyvern laying defeated by Brigid and struggling against the restraints. It seems confused.

My son is only 4 months old, who is this Wyvern?

Mistaken identity? What are the odds that a different Wyvern child was recently kidnapped. I ask the girls if the village recently kidnapped any baby Wyverns. They reply that they haven’t as the Wyverns all fled the area a long time ago.

Father? Is that you?

The roped up Wyvern looks to the Wyvern Lord and mutters.

Father! It can’t be! I saw you die years ago.

What sorcery is this? Are you my son? But you were taken as a babe not a fortnight ago.

On one side is the younger Wyvern who claims that his father died long ago when he was taken as a babe. On the other side is a father who is looking for his recently kidnapped son. There seems to be a discrepancy.

Becca Yeah this is getting really annoying, like the answers are all there but scrambled up. Clairvoyance, just give me a clue already.

If my Clairvoyance skill could have an expression, I’m sure it would be fed up with my reliance on it. I can imagine it begrudgingly pointing to the answer and saying, “quit using me to cheat all the time.” I can’t help it when I designed the Clairvoyance skill to point me in the right direction.

What feels like a quick minute passes and then a notification pops up that the Game Menu skill has been updated with a new feature yet again. That self-evolving skill is continuing to change that it’s almost scary.

A new tab called Quests is flashing yellow so I select it. A new quest called, Calm The Raging Dragons is the only quest available. The description reads, “A father Wyvern believed to have been killed has returned to find his son. Stop the rampage somehow.” Rewards are experience, gold, and a random item.

Well that tells me nothing.

Wait, there’s something else there.

A Codex category tab is next to Quests. Codex is that sort of thing, like a dictionary or a collection of knowledge. There’s a new entry titled Formast the Hero of Wahlburg. It seems to be a summary of Formast like notes taken in a history class.

Most of it I already know, but at the bottom it details how he fought with the Wyvern Lord that went on a rampage. The Wyvern Lord came looking for his son that the village had captured thanks to the Lord’s Wyvern control magic. At the time, the hero Formast could not bring himself to kill the Wyvern Lord so he used an ancient magic that Lord Trisvern was researching.

Time displacement magic was used in a special ritual to lock the Wyvern Lord away. After being trapped in stasis for years, the temporal prison weakened and the Wyvern Lord emerged.

Becca Now it all makes sense.

The Wyverns heard what I said and asked me about it. Of course, to everyone around it just sounds like the Wyverns are grunting and I am answering in similar grunts.

Human girl! Can you explain what is going on?

Becca Well it’s like this, you time traveled, sort of. Papa dragon is in the future and this grown up Wyvern is your son several years later.

I point to the younger Wyvern.

Becca And you, turns out your dad never died. He just disappeared and then reappeared here at a different time.

The Wyverns silently digest this information but I can hear the rusted cogs slowly turn and creak to a stop. I guess none of this makes any sense to them.

Becca Look, don’t question it. It’s time travel magic. None of it makes sense. Just know that you guys are father and son, just a few years have passed. Now hug and make up.

Brigid the knight approaches awkwardly and poses a question that everyone is wondering.

Brigid You’ve been making growling noises for a while now. Are you, talking to the Wyverns?

Becca Oh yeah you guys can’t understand them.

Brigid What’s going on?

Becca Ah, long story. Basically… time travel.

Brigid Time travel?

Becca Time travel.

Brigid What the heck is time travel supposed to mean?!

7