Chapter 10 – 2 | St. Esclaire’s Secret (2)
151 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

According to Detective Raina Geritz, the famous prep school St. Esclaire’s has an issue with its students but doesn’t want to bring in the police. They’ve asked for a detective to investigate and find out the truth of the matter, discreetly.

The school has been concerned lately with reports of students staying out past curfew and reports of noise disturbances. If it was just things like that it wouldn’t concern the school too much, but as of late a student was seriously injured and they fell into a coma.

The witnesses and students close to the victim refuse to speak of what happened clearly so the school is stumped. Raina thinks that she wouldn’t have much luck interrogating them like the other adults so she assumes that I can just go undercover as a student to investigate.

Becca 「 So you want me to find out what happened to the injured student? 」

Raina 「 I have a lot on my plate at the moment so I can’t divert a lot of my resources to this case. And I figure that those kids will feel more at ease talking to someone their age instead of me. 」

Becca 「 Sounds easy enough. I just need to pretend to be a student and get close. Any details I should know? 」

Raina hands me a folder of files that list the victim and people related to the case. The victim is a young man named David who was discovered with lacerations and internal bleeding. He was admitted to the emergency ward and stabilized but remains unconscious.

At the scene of the discovery was David’s roommate Carl and close friend Ralph. The two swear that David just fell down a hill and got scraped up, but reports from the hospital declared that David was wounded by some sharp instrument and bludgeoned with force, they concluded harm was done with some sort of weapons.

When classmates of David and associates were asked they only replied that nothing was wrong lately with David and he seemed normal. Teachers have noted however, that David has been skipping classes with Carl and Ralph and found returning to the dorms later than usual.

I’ll have to find out where David and co. have been hanging out and what they’ve been up to that involves life threatening danger. The file also has documents prepared by the school to allow me access and cover as a visiting student from another school.

My contact in the school is the school’s nurse, miss Phiebe Withers, a pretty nurse that invokes the imaginations of countless adolescents. She is known for curing ills both physical and mental with her presence.

Pheibe was the one who originally reached out to Raina for the case as the school is more prone to adopting a stance of, out of sight out of mind. But most of the school personnel agree with Phiebe that the incident should be investigated.

Day 1 of my incarcer– I mean, the first day of my short school life begins today. I told my team that I would be going solo for this mission so they get to rest back at the lodge. From their insistence, I’ve set up a monitor using illusion magic so they can see and hear everything my senses pick up. We can also communicate telepathically so I can receive their counsel at any time.

For those from Arcoul, this would be first hand experience of Earth’s school environment. Laura and Lina are laying around just to reminisce I guess. While I think of these things, Phiebe finishes explaining any relevant knowledge I should have about the school. Besides the curfew and not leaving school grounds, the students are generally left to do as they please, while keeping the dignity of the school’s prestige in mind. I guess for a prep school outside impressions are important.

I say farewell to the beautiful nurse and head to my homeroom. The teacher introduces me and I can hear the students whisper in gossip. My sharp hearing picks up some useless chatter, but one thing to note is a common phrase that pops up.

A couple of the students are talking about David in worried tones and saying to be careful of being outside past curfew. I’ll have to look into that at some point. The teacher assigns me an empty seat which actually belonged to David, as my personal desk hasn’t arrived yet.

What luck, I get David’s seat next to his acquaintances and friends. I introduce myself once the teacher leaves us alone for a few minutes. The students adjacent to me are David’s friends, including the witnesses Carl and Ralph.

Becca 「 I’m known as Rebecca, pleased to make your acquaintance. 」

I try to seem polite and well mannered and also use my original name back on Earth. The girls near me respond in kind and social manners so it seems that I’ll be able to fit in just fine. Carl and Ralph look at me with a skeptical glare, just barely hiding any suspicions.

The two hang back and talk in hushed voices but I pick them up clearly.

Carl 「 Ralph, what do you think? Isn’t it a little weird? 」

Ralph 「 A transfer student at this time of the year? And our class is the lucky one to get her? Definitely sus’. 」

Carl 「 Just be careful of her. Right, when do you wanna meet at the usual spot? 」

Ralph 「 I got practice today so how about just after the sun sets. 」

Carl 「 Deal. 」

The two have something strange going on that they’re trying to hide. I place a pin marking them on my Map so I’ll know when and where they meet up. I’m looking forward to what they’ll show me.

The rest of the day passes uneventfully. From class to class I just tune out and ignore everything. One teacher seems to not like my attitude and asks me up to solve a difficult looking problem.

Although I have a high intelligence stat in my Status that doesn’t mean I know things I don’t have knowledge of. Luckily I remember seeing this same problem before in class and solve it flawlessly. The teacher looks humiliated and like one who would hold a grudge but I ignore him and put it out of mind.

The day ends eventually and I am released from my boredom. I check out Map after eating and see that the two guys are close to each other on the other side of the school grounds. I teleport there through space magic and observe from a far vantage using Clairvoyance.

Carl 「 Did anyone see you coming here? 」

Ralph 「 I should be asking you that. You sure you weren’t followed? 」

Carl 「 Enough joking around. It’s almost time. 」

The two assume some position and peer into a nearby building. The spot they met up at is at the back of the gymnasium. What are they planning?

I turn my gaze to the same direction and see something that makes everything click together in my mind. The two of them met at this spot at this time for one purpose, the girls volleyball is finishing up practice and heading to the showers. The two boys are peering into the gym’s changing room with clear intentions.

These guys are just a bunch of perverts!

5