Purpose of Life
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was sitting on a VIP chair, watching Steele's match. He was fighting quite fiercely as his opponent was just that strong. Beside me, sat a person who I thought was an Overseer but he refused and didn't say anything.

" I heard that the principal of the academy brought another kid home. Are you the one?"

" ....Yes, but I am not a kid."

I replied while keeping my eyes on the match.

" I wonder if that guy is hiding his harem away from his wife. Whenever he goes out of the academy, he always brought back a child or two."

" Pffttt."

The guy who sat beside the figure who I thought is Overseer barely held his laugh and composed himself quickly. We enjoyed the Steele's match silently. You aren't a man if you don't love Fist fighting. The thrill of punching your opponent, the way your blood boils while fighting, the sensation that spreads with every punch is just that amazing.

The match ended and a break was announced for fighters to take a rest.

" My friend, can you leave us alone for a while?" the figure who sat beside me politely asked the Overseer. The Overseer just nodded his head and left.

The atmosphere between us grew quieter as no one spoke. I wonder why this guy called me out? Should I use the transportation spell card?

" When I was younger, my parents forced me to take education required for nobles, taught me how to handle territory and passed all that burden on me, married me to a girl I never met before. My life was being completely led by them."

Azeroth sighed as he spoke-

" When I rejected them, they scolded me and told me that's how the society works. I didn't want something like that, I just wanted to live my life leisurely drinking, hanging out, watching my favourite movies and reading novels. But I couldn't find time for myself for these things from my busy schedule. Then a question came to my mind. What is the purpose of my life? What do I live for? I sent many days thinking about the answer but couldn't find any."

" Am I going to spend the rest of my life without ever being able to do the things I want to? My life became so bored that even I couldn't believe, the world around me felt darker than before. It was like only I existed in this world, doing all the meaningless things because my parents told me to."

" ...Until I saw you. The look in your eyes, it's faint but familiar. It's just like me. I never thought I would meet a person like me."

Azeroth who sat beside me spoke in a serious tone

" Mind if I ask you something Rudra?

" ....Yes."

" What is the purpose of your life? What do you live for?."

I was suspicious of this person as he wanted to talk to me alone. He even sent his friend away to talk to me. But after hearing him speaking so emotionally and sincerely, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to answer his question.

What do I live for? Huh...

It's a question which plagued my mind back on earth. Going to school, studying things I don't want and the busy schedule of classes. If nothing had happened, my condition would have been the same as his. Marrying  someone you don't know, working extra time for cash. The questions this guy asked, these same questions kept ringing in my mind at that time.

What do I live for?

Do I live for my family?

No. I was simply doing all those things just so that in the future I could support my parents. Truthfully speaking, I wasn't doing it because I wanted to. In an anime series, one of my favourite character said that no matter what you become, no matter how much money you earn, no matter how strong you become, no matter what amazing thing you achieve,  home/ family will always be your final destination. A final place to rest.

That's the reason I wanted to save my family so desperately.

I have friends, but none, which I could say, will stay with me no matter the situation. I don't have a girlfriend as I was always busy studying and what little time I could manage to save. I always watched anime in that time. So I didn't even have time to spend with someone. I had nowhere to go. So I choose to live for the sake of my family, who always gave me a cold shoulder.

I had lost all the reason to live.

A hope, a false hope is all I had, that one day, something will change. One day I will be able to live the life I wanted. I clung on to this false hope, which kept disappointing me everyday. Until.... you know what happened.

I still haven't found my reason to live, but I think the life I am living right now is the best I could ask for.

I looked into the eyes of the other person and answered-

" Hope, .....believe that something will change that will make your life better or do something to change your life for better."

" In my case, I am a mentally weak person. I clung onto the false hope that one day my life will change and it did. One day a hand reached out for me even though it was a hand of deception, I accepted it."

" I was haunted by the same question as you. What do I live for? Honestly speaking I still haven't found my answer yet but the current life I am living right now is the best I ever lived."

The person next to me fell silent and didn't say anything. I don't know if what I said, answered his question or not, but let's hope it did. I don't want anyone to live the same life as I did, an ambitionless life, a hollow life, the life of a puppet.

" ....Thank you for your answer."

The atmosphere between us once again grew quieter as no one spoke, but unlike before we understood each other a bit better and the silence between us didn't feel uncomfortable as before.

0