Chapter 196 – Next Level
302 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Temporary Perspective Change)

(Petra) “…”

(Asmodeus) “It’s useless now dark one, brother Lucifer has put his life force into that barrier. I’m honestly shocked the orange one was forced to use her second chance up this early”

(Zeki) “Erk, fucking show some respect for orangey dickhead. Is she actually dead?”

(Mute) “…?”

(Ariza) “Uh… I don’t know… I’m not getting any signs of life from her”

After Zeki’s complete mess up with the spear and the rest of us desperately now trying to break Ikarus free from that barrier, hitting it with all our weapons but seeing it not let up in the slightest, all of us give up and have no idea what to do. I should have enough time to heal her from the sword piercing her gut, but the longer she remains inside there, the worse it’ll get.

‘Uh, what to do, what to do…’

[<Me thinks Ariza should become one with the words and flow with the wind>]

‘Uh… probably not the best time right now Laura. Go rest for now’

It’s strange how Laura, or my voice sometimes wakes up at times like this. It’s nice she was able to make a coherent sentence today because even nonsensical riddles can sometimes be too hard for her.

‘What about you Loki? Can you help?’

<Sorry sweety, there’s not much I can say. I presume she’ll revive soon enough, whether it will be here or elsewhere is unknown to me>

‘Uh huh, no worries then’

Even though he’s normally busy, Loki always makes time for me if I’ve got a question I’d like to ask. I’m honestly not that sure why he’s so kind, even giving me Apollo’s bow alongside the last potion batch he sent to our world. Deep down, he probably just wants Zeki to suffer so getting in good with me will make that more likely, I’m not too fussed if that really is the case though.

“Erk, why the fuck did this stupid spear explode like that?”

Zeki picks up the spear from Ares that somehow survived the explosion and precedes to start smashing against the ground hoping it’ll break. Instead, it just ends clattering on the floor with Zeki holding his shaking hands, the vibrations of the clatter must’ve hurt that much.

“Uhhh… Petra, are you okay?”

“…”

Petra still standing there saying nothing, her aura is as empty as the void right about now, I’ve never seen anything like this. I know Ikarus means the world to her but she’ll be fine, right? We all know she has a revive left if she really is dead.

Thankfully, I do get a response but it’s even gloomier than expected.

“Ikarus… she’s starting to glow… Heh, knew you wouldn’t let him get away with that”

“Wait… what was that sis? Oh shit… I think orangey’s about to blow!”

“…!”

“Uh, what’s going on?”

“Heh, I think she’s activated a form of self-destruct… Brother Lucifer, it’s now time to rest”

The glow radiating from Ikarus inside the barrier gets brighter and brighter as sheer fear can be seen from the red skinned majin inside. Even in death, Ikarus was never going to let him get away with that…

(Lucifer) “Fuck…”

__________

[<I----s…>]

‘Urgh…’

[<Ika--s… wa-e up already! Ikarus!>]

‘Hrghhh… just five more minutes Aesa… shit! I erm… died, didn’t I?’

Waking up groggy and grouchy like I’ve just experienced death itself or something, I’m surprisingly refreshed considering I can barely see, have searing pain ripping through my stomach and have a banging headache.

‘Huh… guess this is where the rising from the ashes legend comes from. This just feels like sand though’

Slowly but surely, my senses start to come back to me as I realize just where I’ve woken up, pretty nice considering the frozen hellhole it could’ve been.

Within a big pile of ash, inside a nest that hides inside a huge cave of sorts, clearly my revive has taken me to where I first hatched, like it’s my spawn point or something. Ah, should also mention I’m back in bird form as well, this pile of ash is pretty big to be covering me up like this. This is probably the best spawn point on the entire continent I could’ve been given. If you exclude the dragon protection, it’s not as good but this cave is pretty impossible to get to without flying.

‘Aesa… do I have any penalties or restrictions for just dying?’

[<Other than the cooldown timer Ikarus, now being active for the next 500 years, negative. Other abilities are still being tracked for cooldown purposes as well, so it’s as if Ikarus never died>]

If only I could’ve saved my second life for another day. Sure, that guy seemed to be aiming for me and held a great hatred towards mother, it does feel like I’ve wasted it early though. Oh well, at least I’m back to the true YOLO experience now.

‘Then let’s get out of here… oh shit! I really couldn’t have chosen a worser time to die, my eyes!’

You see, both parents happen to be inside today and are yet to realize I’ve gate-crashed their privacy. They wouldn’t care normally, except both of them are naked…

Okay, I need to specify more now. Both parents are always naked, but in human form… trying to make another Ikarus or Minos. Yeah, I know, I’ve somehow spawned in right when both parents are getting frisky!

Poor father looks like he’s being suffocated by the weight of mother on top of him but damn, I can’t look at this! Motherfucker… argh! That isn’t even funny!

“Faster Dermakvar! Don’t be using your age as an excuse, keep going”

“I’m trying dear, don’t be afraid to use your nails… is that, little one?”

“I-I’ll… explain another t-time! Oh, sorry about the ash, but I really need to go…”

‘…Aesa, TP me back to that dungeon, asap! I feel so sick now…’

Getting out of that situation as quick as possible, Aesa does as asked so we end up… on a stone floor outside?

Most of the area around is flat, grey, devoid of any life and honestly pretty depressing. Ah, I guess there is snow falling as well so we’re probably in the north, what happened to the cave though?

‘Erm… Aesa? Where the fuck are we?’

[<These are the coordinates of where Ikarus died. If you’ve already forgotten, last message was to activate everything so that’s what Aesa did>]

Jeez, no wonder I didn’t understand where we are. I was expecting a lot more fire and devastation. Since I activated everything underground, it’s not as pleasing to the eyes? Oh, it’s probably had time to settle as well… this crater we’re in is as far as the eye can see. This is definitely my work, just

----------

---In our world, humans cause climate change. In this world, its solely on Ikarus’s shoulders…

Spoiler

[collapse]

----------

‘Aw shit! I didn’t freaking blow them up, did I!?’

I mean, technically I did, but I didn’t accidently just off my entire party self-destructing against that fucktard!?

[<Relax Ikarus, your intent was detected so party should be here… somewhere>]

‘Phew… what did you even activate anyways?’

[<Ikarus’s request of everything was confusing so Aesa activated -meteor shower-, -atomic hellfire- and -supernova instead, that held more than enough impact. Aesa is unaware if demon lord Lucifer still lives but if he does, this world can go rot>]

Damn Aesa, she’s gaining my taste in world destruction with that little comment. If this fucker has another life hidden away, I’m going to be so pissed.

Looking around though, I can’t see how he would’ve survived that. There’s no trace of anything other than my handiwork. I’m actually missing the gigantic mountains of ice now.

‘So… what do I do now? Start searching or just wait a little bit?’

Even though my barrage of attacks shouldn’t have harmed my party, I guess they could’ve been thrown far away from the force of it? I could be flying over the horizon for days if that’s the case.

[<Aesa suggests waiting, as its guaranteed wife will track us down…>]

“Ikarus!”

[<…Told Ikarus so>]

As I turn around, all of a sudden, a black smudge flies straight into my field of view, taking me back and tossing me like a fat phoenix bowling ball.

Once the little tumble is over and now on top of me, phoenix to phoenix staring deeply into each other’s eyes, I can’t help but comment on just how dopy that was. Crash landing into the other partner, I swear that has my name written all over it!

“You forgotten how to fly straight Petra?”

“Heh… what can I say Ikarus? You make me blind for you”

‘Urgh, goddamn it! She’s purposely putting on the Ikarus cringe charm and because she says it, it’s okay!’

“Oh, come on Petra! I just freaking died and yo-”

Instead of getting an interrupting kiss beak to beak, that would look pretty weird, Petra nuzzles her entire head into me that seriously might be even cuter than a kiss.

Instead of saying something, I nuzzle her back and it basically becomes one of the cutest and fluffiest moments of my life. Being a bird really has its advantages at times and this is definitely one of them.

“Our entire dynamic is ruined Petra! Thought I was supposed to be the cute one?”

“Heh, you want me to stop Ikarus?”

“No no, nuzzle to your heart’s content, it’s nice”

‘Should I ask her how’s she’s doing after seeing me stabbed? I mean, I know Petra too well so she’ll probably just try and deflect giving me a proper answer. I’ll just leave it’

“Heh, too bad Ikarus. You’ll just have to wait till my heart repairs itself now”

“You’re horrible to me at times, you know that?”

“Heh, love you Ikarus”

“Urghhh… we’re not having the same conversation… love ya too”

Anyways, now that little moment is kinda finished since Petra’s fluffy but scarred body is getting off me, we should probably get back in the moment.

“You know where the rest of the par-… speak of the devil”

A little navy speck in the distance rapidly begins to get bigger, presenting the rest of the party following in my clingy wife’s trail. It’s funny how Petra’s a little like the government when it comes to us birds, she’s constantly tracking our movements and knowing what we’re doing constantly, talk about invasion of privacy much! Eh, I don’t care nor can she help it so it’s fineee.

As Mute goes to land and everyone gets off, something noteworthy catches my eye when everyone gather’s around. Poor Zeki, his eyes are a noticeable red, that can’t be the case…

“Is that… did you cry over my death kid!?”

Seriously though, he’s either got red makeup around his eyes or, he was bawling them out!

“Erk, why would I ever cry for anyone like you orangey?”

“Heh, he was weeping Ikarus, you should’ve seen it”

“Uh, I wouldn’t say he cried that much. He did start sniffling a little once the explosion went off though”

“Heh, your definition of tears must be different to ours blue one. He definitely started crying”

<…!>

To top it off, Mute puts both her paws to her eyes, then precedes to activate water magic making a small flood start to pour. That gives me the biggest smile I’ve had in a while, excluding the little feathery moment we just had. Who’d have known Petra’s sister has the same sense of wicked humour we all do?

(Zeki) “Erk, I hate you all… stupid freaking dragon”

“Relax kid… you can give me a quick hug if that’ll help”

“You’re boring me now orangey; I didn’t freaking cry!”

“I wasn’t joking though….”

Now knowing we’ve all pissed off a sulking Zeki, he sits down facing the other direction and crosses his arms and legs like a toddler. The funny thing is, the hug offer was genuine. If he’s seriously going to be this much of tsundere, even from something like this, then he can sulk alone.

“So… what do we do now? Start searching to see if the demon is dead or not?”

It’s odd really. Due to the explosion, the land is kinda warm right now so none of the falling snow is settling. Give it a little while and I’m sure it’ll be cold again but for now, it’s quite pleasant out here. The issue comes from the fact I doubt we’ll find his corpse if my self-destruct definitely ended him.

“Heh, I can help you with that orange one. Although we may not have the body, I can feel that my brother’s soul now remains in the Underworld. This part of the journey is now over”

Oddly enough, Asmodeus has a sense of melancholy from now knowing he’s the last one around. I was expecting cheers and celebrations considering how much he seems to despise his race, guess revenge never really solves anything... I personally get satisfaction from all that though, killing the prince and princess was pretty dope for all that dragon hell they were responsible for. Maybe less for that evil mage because she was more like a slave, she was still a bitch though.

“He’s definitely dead Asmodeus? This isn’t going to backfire not looking around, is it?”

Petra asks that while snuggling back into me. This bird-on-bird action seriously might be better than se-, I mean normal hugging! It’s like every single feather has a mind of its own and even just a slight nudge in to each other causes my heart to flutter. Never thought I’d be this much into fluff but damn, it’s great. Comparing it to sex is something I really shouldn’t do, especially if said out loud. I could imagine Petra going the extra mile and making whatever we do next way too intense…

I wonder… would we even be able to do you know what, in bird form though? I mean, we’d have to get something custom made, anything beak wise wouldn’t work as bird bods aren’t meant for lesbianism. Think the positioning would be awkward and very difficult… just forget it. These hugs are good enough.

“Heh, relax dark one, he’s gone. We’re now good to go”

“You say that Asmodeus, but when I was stuck inside that barrier, he seemed to have a second chance ability of sorts. All his stats went down to one percent like he cheated death after Zeki’s spear throw”

Lucifer even admitted to it like he knew he’d die during the fight with us all. Whether he really was arrogant, stupid or knows something we don’t, it just made the entire thing feel like there’s way more to this story.

“It’s an instinct orange one, you’re not the only person who gains more power every lord that dies. I can assure you, his soul no longer remains in this world, six for six and we’re now done”

I can already see the issue with Asmodeus’s statement. What if his soul somehow made its way into another world, not being the land of the dead and finds its way back? I know that sounds paranoid as hell, but stranger things have happened. The four of us birds are prime examples.

“You never explained in detail why Ikarus needs all the lords to become one Asmodeus. Maybe now’s the time to explain a bit more in detail?”

Petra asks that making me seem a little unsure, mostly because this guy never really explains things that could be good to know. Is this actually important?

“Heh, did I ever directly say orange one needs all to evolve? We could’ve done the ritual after Leviathan’s horn was taken back in the empire; the threshold was already met”

“What the fuck!?! Why did we even bother coming out here then?”

Just another piece of information Asmodeus should’ve shared even if he didn’t know the exact future around these parts. I literally lost my life just on a goose chase that had nothing to do with becoming a demon lord! Sure, I know my level was already at the point of being able to step up, it always seemed like this was more tied to actually killing the lords first though.

“Heh, relax orange one, it was necessary and you’ll understand why shortly. First, let’s head back to that igloo the silent one has, if it’s still standing of course. We need to make some preparations otherwise; this could be quite messy…”

9