The Great Ahamkara Hunt (4)
23 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-------------------------------------------

The hologram came to life as it simulated the Ahamkara's image. A titanic draconic lizard with a hunched spine, on all fours, with thousands of fangs lining it's mouth.

'The last wish raid was one thing, but this...', Void gawked at the hologram's lifelike simulation. Astonished at the Ahamkara's appearance.

Real life was far scarier than the game. A real ahamkara was hundreds of times more cryptic and mysterious than Void thought of.

"This, is an ahamkara?" Void walked around the hologram, taking in it's gigantic stature.

"Not exactly, no." Ikorra replied as she flicked her wrist, and the hologram morphed into something far smaller.

"The consensus has already discussed everything about the Ahamkara, however, since you missed the appointment, we'll be doing it again. Listen carefully, I won't be doing repeats." Ikorra said solemnly.

Void immediately stood at attention, careful analyzing the hologram.

"Tevis, get the rest of the squad in here. We'll do a joint session." Ikorra ordered, pushing the hologram towards the center of the room.

Tevis immediately complied, as he opened the door, and gestured to rush in. The Nightstalkers calmly gathered in the room as they stood in line at the side, their eyes naturally drifting towards the hologram.

Void joined the other Nightstalker in their ranks, as he lined up with them, facing the center of the room, but he soon felt a deadly glare at the back if his head.

Void flinched, glancing back, he saw Levi staring daggers at him as he slowly creased a thumb across the neck.

'F*ck, did he hear me?' Void immediately grimaced, but chose not to show it and focused towards Ikorra.

The warlock vanguard's gaze fell on the Nightstalker squad as she took a resolute stance.

"Guardians, we gathered you here for one thing. The city, is facing a new enemy. An enemy from myths and legends, capable of twisting our very reality." Ikorra declared clenching her fist, garnering several varied reactions from the squad.

She touched the hologram, as the image of an Ahamkara appeared once more in all it's glory. It's titanic figure scaled down was imposing regardless of size.

The Nightstalkers sized the hologram up, observing its features, as several frowns appeared in the team.

Ikorra noticed the dull reactions, but continued regardless, "The Ahamkara are a powerful species, of shapeshifting, wish-granting creatures. They first joined our world with the Traveler."

Murmurs broke out as everyone looked at the draconic entity with a newfound perspective.

"The old guardians called the Ahamkara, dragons. Like fables brought to existence. Some of you might not know, but a few centuries ago, the city utilized these wish granting creatures for our own incentives. However, many notable guardians paid a terrible price for their wish." Ikorra's gaze turned deadly.

A sudden lull flushed the room as Ikorra spoke with a melancholic glint in her eyes.

"The list was long, it even included two hunter vanguards' Tallulah Fairwind and Kauko Swiftriver. After losing many guardians, we decided to shun the Ahamkara and to drive them away from earth."

Void's eyes widened, this part of history was mentioned in the lore books but, hearing it first hand had sent chills down his spine.

"What we did not know, was that the Ahamkara grew stronger with every wish they granted. Feeding on our desires, like parasites. We fought a gruesome battle, and with the help of Osiris, we were able to remove the strongest Ahamkara's from earth. Sending them drifting into space."

The room grew silent at her words, as people bowed their head in respect to Osiris's name.

Void was entranced by the history as he couldn't help but ask, " If we really did drive them out, what use is the hunt now?"

Ikorra dejectedly swayed her head, " The Ahamkara are mysterious indeed. We don't know how, but they came back. Our operatives noticed a paracausal event on Venus." She displayed the world altering event on the hologram.

The squad inched closer, anticipating her next words.

Ikorra's voice grew sullen, "Detecting the energy fluctuations, a fireteam of three went out to investigate. Only one survived, and when we found him, he had completely lost his mind."

The Nightstalkers were aghast, grinding their teeth with clenched jaws and hardened faces.

Levi stepped forwards courteously, "If the Ahamkara are as strong as the vanguard says they are, how can we defeat them?"

This question had also popped up for the other Nightstalkers, but questioning the Vanguard wasn't exactly what they wanted to do.

Ikorra nodded, acknowledging his question, " The Ahamkara feed on our wishes. But in return, if we have none for them, their power over us grows weak."

Ikorra immediately flicked the hologram once more, as the Ahamkara's stature shrunk from a gigantic draconic abomination to a small lizard barely a foot in size.

" Their form is simply a lie that they weave into the universe. Do not trust it, their true self, is far weaker than you would think."

Ikorra walked towards the squad, "But a word of caution, guardians. The Ahamkara are notorious for being able to read surface thoughts. Do not let your mind lead you astray. They can take any form you think of, but they can't copy every mannerism."

"When engaging an Ahamkara, do not reveal any information. They might be able to emulate our image, but they can't simulate our knowledge."

Void immediately perked up, "You said they can copy how we look. So how do we know which one is real if we aren't allowed to reveal any information to verify our identities?"

His question immediately stumped the squad, as they too realized the contradiction of their orders.

As the Nightstalkers panicked slightly, Lord Saladin, Shaxx and the others curled their lips into a smile.

"They can copy how we look guardian, but not our essence. If at any point, any team is faced with an Ahamkara and cannot differentiate between each other. Face your double, and pull the trigger." Ikorra gestured for a shot to the head.

Her gesture left everyone speechless, as Void frowned, "You mean to say, that we kill our copy?" He interrupted.

"The Ahamkara will do everything to blend in, copying you best they can. But they cannot copy the light. You and your doppelganger shooting each other will result in a simple skirmish. The Ahamkara will either reveal himself, or you both will die. But the real guardian can be revived." Shaxx instantly retorted.

"Do not forget guardians, the weaker Ahamkara gather their powers from deception. Don't give them a chance. As for the stronger ones, they will seek to overwhelm you, annihilate them with all your fire power." Shaxx commanded with a growl.

The Nightstalkers immediately snarled, stomping their feet in acknowledgement.

Void followed their lead, snarling with a gruff voice.

Ikorra continued to discuss the various formations for the Nightstalker squad, but as Void wasn't included in their lineup, he decided to step back and observe the room instead,

His eyes mainly lingered around Saladin.

'Lord Saladin Forge. One of the ten legendary guardians who stopped the warring age before the city. I didn't think he would make an appearance so soon.' Void's gaze met his as he nodded with respect.

Saladin acknowledged the young hunter and then promptly excused himself from the room, vanishing away.

As Saladin left so did Shaxx, leaving the squad with the Vanguard and the speaker.

Ikorra finished her long lecture of tactics, turning to Void at the end.

"Kabr will take care of your plans, his judgement is impeccable. You can rest assured, he won't make any mistakes. I suggest you meet up with them and become familiar with their pace. "

Void agreed with a nod, but his eyes lingered towards the exit, he found the meetings very exhausted.

He clenched his jaw, almost letting out a yawn, as he glanced to the side and saw Cayde eyeing him with a raise brow.

With a sly grin, Cayde yawned, stretching out his ligaments. Watching him had almost forced a yawn out of Void, but seeing Ikorra so close, he had no choice but to try his best to hold it back.

'Bastard, I swear I will loot your stashes for this' He grieved internally.

"One last thing, our forces alone might not be enough for the Ahamkara. The vanguard plans to contact the awoken to send forces and weapons for aid. So I am telling you all now, if you do anything to ostracize their people."

Ikorra flashed a dangerous frown, as everyone in the squad understood her without a need for the words to be said.

They sheepishly nodded, not daring to go and test out the Vanguard's threat.

Turning her back towards them, Ikorra looked to leave the room. Her footsteps stopped directly before the door, as she flicked it open.

Glancing back at Void she chucked him a gps node, her figure withering into thin air.

Void immediately put the node in his pocket and looked towards the remaining guardians.

The Speaker greeted everyone once more, as he humbly walked towards his ship and travelled back towards the city.

Zavala and Cayde gave each other a nod before disappearing swiftly.

With the Vanguard gone, the squad breathed a sigh of relief, and so did Void.

However, before anyone could react two figures flickered besides Void, pinning him down by the arms.

"M****F****, I should have left earlier." Realization dawned on him on what was about to happen as Void cursed under his breath.

"You dog bastard, following my lead you said? I didn't f*cking know you were so loyal to me." Levi chuckled, twisting his wrist.

"Doing what I taught you? You sure seem to have some nerve." Tevis chortled with a steeled face, as he kneeled on Void's spine.

Void felt like puking as his stomach sank, "Listen, we can talk about this, there's no need for violence" He immediately tried to weasel his way out of their grip, but failed.

"Come on, guys. Hey, hey bandit, come on." Void panicked and looked towards the squad as they all turned deaf ear towards his cries, scuttling out the room.

"Cory, Cory?"

"Guys, guys please."

The last man shut the door behind him as Void remained pinned on the ground, struggling as he tried to wobble out from underneath Tevis.

"Stop f*ckin moving, do you really think you can escape?" Tevis, patted him on the back with a smile.

"Captain, listen, I am not wrong you know? You did teach that during my training" Void pleaded.

"Not wrong? Is that so?" Levi gave him a soul gripping stare, as he placed his hand on his holster.

"W-wait, wait wait. You, you don't have to do that." Void instantly cried out.

Levi chuckled mercilessly, "It's fine Void, whatever happens, just follow my lead."

Void gulped dryly, knowing he wouldn't get out of here easily, he surrendered himself to fate, and took his beating like a man.

However, as far as some Nightstalkers were concerned, that day, they did hear something akin to a dog yelping like it was being beaten with a stick.

While the others could swear it sounded like a duck being interfered with.

None could really agree to the source of the noise, but they weren't stupid enough to check. Whatever happened in the Cosmodrome, stayed in the Cosmodrome.

--------------------------------

3