Chapter 6
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The game continued and all I could do was lament. My team was being completely pressured and suppressed. Manchester United's attacks were constant, and it was only a matter of time before my team would concede a goal. I knew a change was necessary, but what? I had no experience in this point. How could I turn the game around? I had no idea!

I looked at the fans around Villa Park cheering and roaring for the team on the field, and all I could think of was not disappointing them. If I didn't come out with a win today, I had to make sure not to bring a defeat to my team.

I looked at the field and decided to ask the team to change their approach. I also decided to make some substitutions to reshape the team's energy. The approach would be more aggressive, and we would press more in the creation, trying to take as many chances as possible created by the opponent. I also signaled to Angel to focus on overtaking John O'Shea. His state of mind was not good, and he could make a mistake.

With my decision made, I turned to my assistant coach. "Tell Ian Taylor and Ulises de La Cruz to warm up. They will replace Lee Hendrie and Mark Delaney, respectively."

Taylor could help with a better ball distribution, while also renewing the team's energy. While de La Cruz was a player with a lot of fighting spirit. His will on the field could motivate his teammates, in addition to, of course, also renewing the team's energy.

I continued to analyze the game, and at the 32nd minute of the second half, what I feared the most happened. David Beckham made a low cross, which came guided to Van Nistelroy's foot, who skillfully controlled it and shot.

TCHAAA!

The ball stopped on Peter Enckelman's chest, who had come out of the goal. It was a beautiful save by the Finnish goalkeeper.

I raised my hand above my head and celebrated. The game could have ended here. But this missed chance could tremendously lower Manchester United's morale.

After the ball went out of bounds, I signaled to the fourth official that I was going to make a substitution. I called de La Cruz and Taylor. They came to me, and I put my hand on both of their shoulders as I looked into their eyes. "Go out there and don't let them score. Taylor, help the team with ball distribution, presenting yourself. I need you to make dangerous passes forward. While you, de La Cruz, just play as you always do, with fighting spirit."

They nodded. "Yes, boss!"

After they entered the field, I approached Hendrie and Delaney. "You both did great, I'm proud of you."

Hendrie simply smiled at me and nodded, while Delaney said, "It's just my job, sir."

Looking at them, I could only smile. It was obvious that they weren't happy about being taken out of the game, but that was something for me to deal with later.

...

The game was going well, Manchester United wasn't able to press as they did before, and with de La Cruz repressing Giggs, the game became a bit easier, although David Beckham's progress increased. When I noticed this, I signaled to Gareth Barry to switch positions with Thomas Hitzlsperger, allowing him to defend Beckham's side.

The game continued like this for a while without any real danger until the 42nd minute of the second half, when Paul Scholes made a one-two with Ole Gunnar and got a chance for a long-range shot.

But Enckelman managed to palm the ball away for a corner, ending the danger.

Sir Alex Ferguson continued on the sidelines trying to encourage his players, but it didn't seem to have an effect, most of them seemed to have accepted defeat after Enckelman's sensational save.

This was, of course, great news for me.

I continued to watch the game.

David Beckham tried to make a breakthrough from the right to the center, but was interrupted by a perfect tackle from Gareth Barry who quickly passed it to Ian Taylor who made a long pass to Dion.

Dion struggled to control the ball, but his speed failed him in front of Rio Ferdinand who continued to follow him. He tried to fake left, but Ferdinand skillfully made a tackle.

I was tense, watching the clock carefully. There wasn't much time left in the game, and we were winning 1-0 against Manchester United. But then the referee signaled that there would be one more minute of added time.

My heart started beating faster. One minute may seem like a little time, but in football it's enough time for the opponent to score a goal and tie the game. I knew we needed to keep our defense strong and not let Manchester United create any chances to score.

I got up from the bench and started pacing back and forth on the sidelines, watching every move of the players. They were tired, but I knew they needed to stay focused until the end of the game.

The Aston Villa fans were shouting and singing, encouraging our players to hold on to the victory. I was also anxious, but I needed to stay calm to provide the necessary support to the players.

I looked at the clock again. There were only a few seconds left in the added time. I started praying silently, asking that nothing went wrong.

Tweeeet!

I could hardly believe it when I heard the final whistle. Tweeeet! We had just beaten Manchester United 1-0 in a tough match at Villa Park, and I couldn't be happier.

I started jumping and screaming with joy, raising my arms to the sky in celebration. My players came running towards me, jumping for joy and hugging each other. Gareth Barry hugged me tightly, while Thomas Hitzlsperger and Ian Taylor jumped beside me. I felt a tear escape my eye as I looked at the stands, where the Aston Villa fans were celebrating as if there was no tomorrow.

I hugged each player one by one, thanking them all for the determination and effort they showed on the field. Paul Scholes tried to bring us down with that long-range shot, but Peter Enckelman made an incredible save, keeping the score in our favor. And our goal, scored by Juan Pablo Ángel, was a work of art, the result of a perfect team effort.

Meanwhile, the fans kept singing, jumping, and screaming with joy. They knew how difficult it was to beat Manchester United, but we did it. I looked at Sir Alex Ferguson, our opponent, and could see the disappointment on his face. But for me, there was only happiness.

This victory was the first of my career as Aston Villa's coach. I couldn't be prouder of my team, and I can't wait to continue celebrating this victory with them and our fans. Tweeeet! The final whistle has never sounded so sweet.

0