Chapter 3: preparations
46 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

11 years later…

I have been doing a lot of research for this day, I have took every single opportunity I could to find out how I can create a gun. I have listened to my tutors ( about most things) and have been doing research on substances that can potentially be used as gunpowder to no avail. Until today when I was reading a history book of the Last Great Dwarven Empire. as it turns out they had created hand cannons and Hwachas just like the Asians had done in my previous world. They had created early guns. Unfortunately that technology was kept a secret right up to the fall of the Dwarven Empire 50 years ago.

H

H

if only I could figure out how they did it. There may be Dwarves alive today that hold the secrets to that technology. Then a plan began to form in my head, all I have to do is ask my father if I may start my own small military group and hire a dwarf blacksmith or 2.

After that thought I immediately closed my book and and sat up out of a soft leather chair surrounded by stacks of books. As I walked out of the large library I thought more about my plan. I at least need a platoon to do what I plan but I would like to have an entire division but that’s not gonna happen for a long time. 

As I walk out of the library and down the hallway I stop at a corner. Somebody is having a conversation. I decide to listen in case it may provide valuable information. 

???: you know that the Dukes  son is a freak right. 

That one sounds like the maid Lara Kaine. That comments a little hurtful. 

???: W-what do you mean?

This one must be a new servant of some kind. As the entire staff knows about my no magic but only a very few know about it in the outside world as my parents had it covered up. 

Lara: you see he has no magic whatsoever and of course everyone knows that magic is the only the most valuable and important thing.

???: oh how awful! That poor thing.

Lara: Poor thing!? He is a freak of nature just like dwarves, elves and other nonhumans. It’s just like the great two churches say the only purity left is in humanity and magic.

???: i-I see…now if you will excuse me.

I hear as she walks off.

‘Well time to get going before I’m caught snooping’ I think as I quickly run away.

                  ****      

After walking around for a while I reach my Father’s Study. I quickly but firmly knock on the ornately carved, ancient oak door.

Duke Wyrmblood: Come in!

I slowly open the door and enter, closing the door behind me. I see my Father looking over some documents on his spartan desk.

Duke Wyrmblood: Son, you have something to tell me?

I decide to quickly get into it. 

John: I wish to have my own military corps.

Duke Wyrmblood: *chuckles* don’t you think that that is a bit ambitious? You are only 14. How about we start with a squad.

John: division.

Duke Wyrmblood: Squad.

John: battalion.

Duke Wyrmblood: squad.

John: brigade. 

Duke Wyrmblood: platoon.

John: deal.

In a quick fire if offers we came to an agreement and quickly shook on it. 

Duke Wyrmblood: you drive a hard bargain. Now what is this all about? 

John: I have some ideas that could revolutionize warfare as we know it.

Duke Wyrmblood: well, if you’re that confident then I will give you an experimental platoon and some funding. but if you can’t give me results by 3 years time then the whole experiment is over. However if your experiment proves successful then I will upgrade you to a company.

John: thank you father. 

Duke Wyrmblood: call me dad. I’ve only told you a hundred times. Now on to funding. How does 4 platinum, 10 gold, and 50 silver sound? As a starter. I’ll give you another 10 gold each month. 

John: that should be enough. Thank you dad. 

Duke Wyrmblood: of course. Every young man needs to prove himself in the military.  Also I will provide you with a base of operations in a forested, mountain base near the wood elf border.

John: sounds good.

Duke Wyrmblood: now was there anything else you wanted to talk to me about?

John: no, sir. 

Duke Wyrmblood: well then take your leave. Patty will take you to get started tomorrow morning.

I then left his office and jumped up in celebration. Now all of my plans can be fulfilled. 

sorry it’s been so long but I have been busy with school. I will be continuing this story whenever I can. I will be putting more information about the world through John’s journal (the glossary) and I thank you all for reading.

1