Countrycide – Erin Swann
32 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ya know, being bundled in the back of the SUV and losing my jeans was not what I had on my bingo card for today.

            I was thankful for the shorts I’d put on this morning, which I clung to like my captors would try to rip them off any second now. I always made sure to tie the drawstring tight enough to make sure that they couldn’t be taken off without a struggle. I’d never told the boys this but I’d told Gwen and Tosh, they understood the paranoia behind it all.

            My captors hadn’t actually done anything to me yet, apart from clobber my head, throw a bag over it and toss me in the SUV, which Owen had left the keys in because of course he had.

            I fucking hated the countryside.

            Suddenly, we screeched to a halt and a pair of large hands hauled me out, dragging me towards some sort of building, I couldn’t make it out through the white linen bag, that I could of sworn was just some beaten up pillow case. What kind of hostage situation was this? Was their plan to just pick us off one by one? That would take a while there were a lot of us. As kidnappings go it was a bit rough but effective, this hadn’t been the first time I’d been thrown in the back of a van after all.

            ‘In ya go!’ The callous voice cheered gleefully, pushing me stumbling forward to the ground.

            I went to rip the bag off my head but another set of cold hands grabbed my own, tying them with rope that burned at my skin.

            ‘Let go of me!’ I yelled but I was only met with laughter until I was hauled up again, pushed into what I presumed was another room. There wasn’t going to be torture, right? I really wasn’t in the mood for that today.    

            As I was shoved into the other room, the stench hit me like a tonne of bricks, old metal and rotting flesh – however I knew it wasn’t metal I was smelling.

            The bag was ripped from my head and I winced as the bright light of the naked bulbs hit my eyes. However, I nearly recoiled as I saw the man in front of me, a look as mad as a hatter in his eyes. His hair was thin and grey, his skin covered in dirt and grime, his eyes completely bloodshot.

            ‘There we are meat,’ He said. ‘Nice and toasty.’

            Did he just call me meat? What the fuck?

            ‘Who and what are you?’ I asked as his hand grabbed my jaw but I didn’t flinch, I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction.

            ‘You’re a feisty one, aren’t you?’ He asked. ‘Scottish I reckon, lot of passion they have, I bet you’ll taste all the better for it.’

            It was only then that I allowed myself to look away from him to see the long plastic body bags dripping with blood that hung from the ceiling. The old blood stains on the floor and the pickled jars of what could only be human remains. What the fuck? He called me meat – he said – oh holy shit.

            This wasn’t an alien thing was it? Had we just walked into a cannibals den?

            ‘But even then, meat is always better when it’s tenderised.’ The man cooed and without thinking I kneed him in the dick, clearing seeing where his eyes were going.

            He wasn’t going to touch me, I wouldn’t let him not like that, never like that. The paranoia and fear about what would happen next was coursing through me at what felt like a hundred miles an hour, next to the Cyberman, this was my biggest fear.

            Meat needs to be tenderised…even his words made me recoil into myself.

I  tried to run but the cold hands returned, forcing me into a chair. I tried to wiggle from their grip but then the owner of the hands, came around to face me. She was a large woman with short blonde hair and ice cold eyes, a wicked grin on her lips.

            ‘You think you’re funny?’ She asked. ‘No matter, we’re good with our food, we can prepare you later.’

            SMACK.

            She clobbered a plank of wood against my head, thwacking me to the side, the already stinging cut on my head now ripped even further apart. I coughed out a breath, sniffling the snot that had inadvertently ran down my nose. The pain wasn’t a new thing but the room spinning was – wasn’t there only a set amount of times you could get hit in the head before it became an issue? Fuck, Chris was gonna kill me.

            ‘You saw the campsite, you know I’m not alone, they’ll find you.’ I managed to get out.

            ‘Oh, we’re counting on it!’

            The woman reared back the plank of wood once more but this time, as it pummelled my skull, darkness snapped across my vision. The last thing I felt was the swinging of head before everything went numb.

 

***

 

‘Where’s Ianto!’ The faint voice of Tosh met my ears. ‘Where’s Erin? What have you done with them?’

            The garbled moans of Ianto echoed in my ears but I could barely open my eyes, where was I? Fuck what happened?

            ‘Wake up man.’ A voice said. ‘Time to be bled.’

            Fuck it was that man again, oh shit I was in a fucking slaughter house. It was only then that I realised the reason I couldn’t open my eyes, was because there was a blindfold over them, even when I looked down I could only see grime on my legs but then, I could see the backs of shoes if I turned my head, they were definitely Ianto’s shoes. At least he was alright, at least he wasn’t strung up on a meat hook.

            ‘Oh and the other one’s up too!’ The man said happily.

            Suddenly a hand grasped my leg and I screamed, the only sound leaving my lips being unfortunately muffled by the gag.

            ‘It’s me, it’s me.’ Gwen’s voice said. ‘It’s me.’

            Oh Gwen, fuck if she were here that meant the whole team had to be. Well that was good news or was it?

            Was this how Torchwood died? Not by the scum of the universe but by some cannibals in the back end of beyond?

            ‘Like veal, it takes a long time but it definitely makes the meat taste better.’ The man cooed.

            Ianto groaned, the shuffling of his jeans scratching on the hard floor but then, I heard the clinking of glass and even though I was sure I had one hell of a concussion – I swear the room was shaking. The man’s large brown boots stomped away and I let out a sigh of relief because by the looks of it, Ianto’s blood was going to stay in its body.

            Suddenly I heard Ianto cry before Gwen’s hand left my leg and I saw her shoes right underneath me, oh thank God she had Ianto. Now how the fuck did I get out of here? I was bound, gagged and blindfolded – well the odds weren’t looking great I’ll admit but I could get out of here…somehow.

            ‘What the hell is that?’ The man asked.

            Oh so it wasn’t just the concussion making the room spin, wait then why was the ground shaking?

            ‘What the fuck?’

            SMASH.

            I couldn’t see a thing but over the next thirty seconds I heard the splintering of wood, the groan of an engine and more bullets firing than I ever had before. There were screams, there were cries, there were smacks and the sound  of glass shattering. I felt dust land on my skin, the hairs on my legs standing on edge as I struggled to move in the chair. I squirmed back and forth but there was no use but then, I heard it.

            ‘Oh really?’

            Captain Jack Harkness.

            ‘No Jack!’ Gwen yelled. ‘Don’t do it!’

            ‘These people don’t deserve warnings!’

            ‘Let me question him I have to understand…’ Gwen’s voice trailed off as I focused on Owen’s, his jeans scraping the floor, his hands already reaching for me.

            ‘Erin, you’re alright, we’ve got you.’ He said, carefully slipping the blindfold off, then the gag.

            I sucked in dry air, coughing what felt like a lung up before Owen slowly and clearly moved to undo the rope.

            ‘Did they touch you?’ He asked.

            ‘No,’ I shook my head. ‘No he didn’t – I…’

            I locked eyes with Ianto, he was covered in dirt and sweat, his eyes and nose red as Tosh took the his gag off. Fuck, had they tortured him? He looked terrified, shit, we better make those appointments with his therapist friend.  

            ‘Look into my eyes.’ Owen said, taking out a torch from his pocket. ‘Erin look at me.’

            ‘I’m fine.’ I said, rubbing at my wrists, seeing they were brandished red from the rope burn.

            ‘If you say that one more time I’ll stab you to get it through you’re head that you’re not.’ He stated, completely serious. ‘You’ve not lost a lot of blood but you’ve been hit.’

            ‘Yeah no shit Sherlock.’ I muttered, grabbing onto his shoulders to help me stand. ‘They hit me once at the campsite and then here with a plank of wood…oh look there it is.’ I said, looking to the discarded old wood on the floor, small little dots of blood at the end.

            Camping, cannibals and a murder spree – only in the fucking countryside.

 

***

 

‘The tape should hold it together, you’re lucky that cut looked bigger in there.’ Owen said, practically kneeling on the floor of the SUV, pressing the medical tape over the stinging cut on my head, as we swerved through the narrow roads. ‘You know these are times where I actually see a use for the emergency kits you ladies keep in here.’

            Tosh turned the small torch that was aimed at my face, straight into Owen’s eyes who winced at the bright light.

            ‘How are you going to explain this one?’ Jack asked as we pulled onto the long path that led to the Halliwell family manor.

            ‘Well this one should be pretty easy; company retreat turned into a living nightmare with a bunch of cannibals.’ I said. ‘It’s a murder case not an alien one, which means he can know about it.’

            ‘Well he can’t know about it.’ Jack said.

            ‘It’s a police matter technically,’ Gwen said. ‘We gave over jurisdiction when they arrived, technically it’s not classified.’

            Jack shot her a look but I smiled, squeezing her hand, well at least PC Cooper had my back.

            ‘Also he’s not gonna believe I just fell and then, how do I explain the situation with my favourite jeans?’ I asked, the jeep pulling to a stop outside the manor.

            Nearly all the lights in the house were on, the warm glowing bulb at the door shining brightly. Which I found a little odd, since it was only eight o’clock in the morning and the sun was shining, was Chris singlehandedly trying to raise our electricity bill?

            ‘What’s going on here then?’ Owen asked, peering out the SUV window.

            ‘No clue.’ I said, reaching for the door handle.

            It was a lot warmer in the jeep and since it was all Doctor Owen in the back seats, I was only in my black sports shorts and t-shirt, my socks and shoes still dirty from being dragged around.

            ‘Are you still good to try and fix my jeans?’ I asked Tosh who nodded.

            ‘Course, Ianto’s going to get a new zipper and then I’ll sew it on.’

            ‘Brilliant.’ I said.

            I opened the door to the SUV, taking my time to get out as the tone in my legs was soon to remind me that I was disabled and couldn’t just walk away after a day like today. My leg hit the ground a little shaky but I held the door for support as Ianto got my suitcase and rucksack from the boot.

            ‘Do you need help inside?’ He asked but I shook my head.

            ‘No you guys do the regular drop off, I think everyone’s gonna want to sleep after this.’ I smiled, pulling him in for a hug. ‘I’ll see you all later tonight!’ I shouted.

            The rest of the team stuck their head out the open door or windows waving goodbye as the SUV sped away back down the drive. I watched it go before turning to the manor but what caught my eye wasn’t Chris’ car parked, it was the third set of tire tracks on the gravel. The SUV’s, Chris’ tires and then-

            ‘Oh my God you’re back!’ The shrill scream of Chris’ sister Melinda shouted from the door.

            I turned my back on her, quickly grabbing my hoodie from my bag and shoving it over my head, the last thing I needed was twenty questions about the red marks and already forming bruises.

            ‘Hi!’ I shouted back, matching her excitement as she nearly tackled me into a hug. ‘Oh you’re not meant to be here till the weekend!’

            Why the fuck was she here? I groaned internally.

            ‘We thought we should surprise you!’ She said excitedly pulling back, her dark curly hair practically bouncing on her shoulders. ‘What happened to your head?’

            ‘Oh I was at a company retreat thing and rock climbing was a thing and there was some rope and some…idiot and then I bashed my head but I’m fine.’ I waved her off. ‘I’m guessing everyone else is inside?’

            ‘Yeah, mom won’t stop going on at Chris about getting new curtains, then aunt Phoebe and Paige have been making breakfast for everyone and Wyatt’s been on calls all morning, it’s been insane but don’t worry, I’ll make sure everyone is nice and calm, you’re probably exhausted.’ She had her arms around me, as she led me back into my house. ‘Wyatt can you get Erin’s bags they’re outside!’ She screamed.

            I nearly winced but kept a polite smile on my face as she led me through to the kitchen where the bang of pots and pans echoed. Fuck me this wasn’t going to do anything for the headache, was it?

The smell that greeted me was sweet as I saw fresh pastries lining the kitchen counters, chocolate being melted on the stove and scrambled eggs being made in a separate pot beside it. Two woman stood there; One was Phoebe Halliwell, she had short caramel hair and tanned skin, with an apron over her very expensive looking dress. The other was Paige Halliwell, she had darker hair like Melinda but paler skin, her lips marked in red. She wore another apron that I was almost positive I didn’t own over her equally expensive looking clothes, diamonds dripping from her earrings.

            ‘Oh Erin you’re – oh dear God what happened to you?’ Phoebe gawked.

            I guess I also hadn’t accounted for the fact that I was still covered in dirt alongside the bleeding head, I’d pulled my hair back but it probably didn’t make me look any better. Owen said I looked like I’d been dragged through a very unforgiving bush.

            ‘Rock climbing accident gone wrong aunt Phoebe but we’re trying to create a calm environment so no shouting.’ Melinda said, squeezing my shoulders a little.

            Ow, I thought.

            ‘Well we’ll get you some food and sort you right up, my Larry always feels better when he’s had something to eat.’ Phoebe said, ushering me to the table but I didn’t feel at all like sitting, I wanted to wash this camping trip off of me, as soon as humanly possible.

            ‘You’ve made enough food to feed an army.’ I said, a little unsure of the spread at the table. ‘Like I swear you could actually feed an army with this.’

            I don’t think Chris and I had ever made this much food before – like ever and we’d hosted a few dinner parties in our time.

            ‘Well we know with your guys’ job cooking isn’t always on the agenda so anything you don’t eat you can freeze and store.’ Paige said, putting a plate filled with eggs next to me.

            I heard the thunder of footsteps on the stairs at the front door but they were too heavy to be Chris’, his were more springy. The looming figure of Wyatt came into view, his back turned as he headed outside to bring my things in. Shit, did I leave anything out in the open for him to see? The team had taken my jeans and my suitcase hadn’t been damaged. There was nothing there to suggest I was involved in anything alien, right? Of course there wasn’t Erin, I shook my head knowing I was letting my thoughts run away with themselves.

            Had Wyatt planted bugs without Chris seeing? I knew Tosh was going to do a sweep after they left but I couldn’t help the anxiety riddling within me. Fuck I hadn’t prepared for this. He’d been upstairs unsupervised, Wyatt could of done anything, there weren’t hidden cameras, right?

            ‘Where do you want them Erin?’ I heard Wyatt shout.

            ‘Just put them by the stairs thanks!’ I yelled, grabbing the orange juice and begging for some strength from it.

            Come on vitamin C, I thought.

            ‘Oh hunni, you’re shaking.’ Phoebe cooed. ‘Did you have anything to eat at that retreat of yours.’

            What was it with this lady and food? I mean I would of eaten it’s just Tosh’s friend caught hepatitis of the burger van and then I was taken by a cannibal family, eating wasn’t exactly high on my lists of priorities.

            ‘Yeah we did it’s just – ya know what actually where’s Chris?’ I asked.

            ‘Oh for the love of God.’ I heard the familiar voice of Piper Halliwell say, her own footsteps marching down the front stairs. ‘Chris all I’m saying is people can see in.’

            ‘Who? The birds?’ Chris snarked.

            ‘All I’m saying is that privacy is a big deal.’

            ‘We’re literally in the middle of nowhere.’ Chris said as he came into the kitchen, holding the door open for his mum but he stopped short when he caught sight of me.

            Melinda held up her hands.

            ‘Don’t worry, rock climbing accident at the retreat but she’s okay, we’re not making a fuss and you’re not going all crazy doctor mode.’ She said.

            ‘Are you okay?’ Chris asked but he didn’t move from the door.

            ‘Oh sweetie,’ Piper murmured, pulling up a chair next to me. ‘That looks sore.’

            ‘It’s fine really, happened yesterday it doesn’t hurt anymore but you know what?’ I gently pushed myself from the table, not even looking at Chris as I walked towards the steps. ‘I’m gonna go pop for a shower, won’t be long!’

            Before anyone could say another word I was halfway up the stairs, then into my bedroom and closing the door behind me, pressing my back against it. Jesus that was fucking overwhelming. Everyone poking and prodding and asked questions about my business – I guess Sarah Jane and Mike were a little more lienant, they knew I’d tell them if anything had went seriously wrong.

            I flopped down on the bed that had been freshly changed but I didn’t care, I used my foot to kick off my shoes and lay still, soaking in the morning sun as it streamed through the windows. Fuck me everything hurt but hey, at least the room wasn’t spinning anymore. It felt like my muscles were as tight as harp strings and my hips as loose as a steel bolt. I don’t think all the bubble bath in the world would soak the tension out of me. I was probably walking like a deranged penguin who’d been dragged through a bush.

            A soft knock sounded at the door and I sighed peacefully, knowing who was there.

            ‘Come in.’ I said.

            Chris neatly opened the door, closing it as quickly as it was opened.

            ‘Rock climbing?’

            ‘Melinda just ran out the door and I didn’t have time to think of anything better and they weren’t supposed to be here till the weekend.’ I groaned, sitting up on my elbows.

            ‘Can I have a look?’ He asked.

            ‘Course.’ I said, pushing myself up fully on the bed, ready for him to take a look at my head or shine that stupid torch he has.

            I knew from being shot that him looking me over was more for his peace of mind rather than mine, I knew I was fine and it hadn’t exactly been too drastic of a weekend. Of course, there was that moment were I thought that…ya know but it didn’t so that was always a good thing. Fuck that was terrifying.

            ‘Were you tied up?’ Chris asked abruptly, his hands turning my wrists over.

            Oh fuck a duck.

            ‘Um…’ I trailed off, trying to think of a way around the red raw skin around my wrists.

            ‘You know what don’t answer that.’ He said, gently lifting my ankles to reveal the same red blotchy skin. ‘Fucking hell baby.’

            ‘It doesn’t hurt, I promise.’ I said honestly. ‘The main thing is the cut on my head and a small CP flare up.’  

            ‘You know you’re going to do permanent damage if you keep getting hit on the head like this.’ Chris shook his head, clearly worried as he looked over the cut.

            ‘I can tell you what happened, I got what happened today and yesterday cleared by my boss.’

            Chris knelt down, leaning back on his knees.

            ‘Okay, tell me.’ He said, like he was prepping himself.

            So I did, I told him everything from the moment I sent that last email until I turned up in front of the manor a mere ten minutes ago. For once, my work was strictly human and I wouldn’t admit it to Chris but telling him, made me happy. It took a weight off my shoulders that I’d always felt bared down on me. I could bring him with me on the insanity that was my life, even though this wasn’t the weirdest or most horrific thing I’d ever endured.

            By the end of my story Chris had joined me on the edge of the bed, his legs over my own and arms around my shoulders. I told him they’d took my jeans but they hadn’t done anything, I didn’t want to tell him but I knew if he found out I’d hid it from him, he’d think it was because of him. I knew Chris would be angry about what the guy had done but I knew he’d be more upset if I kept it from him because I didn’t trust him not to overreact.

            ‘So you told my family rock climbing?’ He asked softly, kissing me.

            ‘Yeah, I just hit my head on a cliff face.’ I nodded. ‘I’ll say the rope burns are from the harness we had on and maybe I dunno, I’ll throw in a team building exercise and say we were all connect by ropes to make us work together or something.’

            He kissed my forehead tenderly again and again, his hand caressing my jaw.       

            ‘I’m sorry, really I didn’t know they’d turn up.’

            ‘It’s fine,’ I waved him off. ‘It’s nice they’re here.’

            ‘What do you need from me?’

            ‘Co-codamol, diazepam and a cocktail.’ I stated.

            ‘How about Ibuprofen with some orange and lemonade?’

            ‘One diazepam and I’ll settle for a San Fransisco mocktail.’

            ‘Done.’ He kissed me again, his hands tangling in the ends of my hair. ‘Now go take a shower, I’ll go calm the crazy bunch down there.’

            ‘Why does your mum want to change the curtains?’

            ‘Oh don’t even get me started.’ He groaned. ‘Just go take a shower, cause it’s the only peace you’re gonna get.’

            I smiled as he closed the door and I headed to the bathroom, turning on the steaming shower. Once I got in I basked in the heat, soothing my shoulders and legs. I even sat down for a little while, just letting the water roll down my back.

            I was thankful I’d told Chris, it meant I didn’t have to endure this story alone.

 

***

 

‘So, what are we thinking to do for Chris’ birthday in November?’ Melinda asked me, promptly sitting next to me on the couch. ‘Cause Wyatt and I are going for a joint thing but I wanna make sure we don’t get the same thing as you by accident.’

            I’d just sat down Melinda give me a minute! I wanted to scream but instead gave a polite smile, brushing my wet hair to the side.

            ‘I’ve not had time to buy anything but I’ve got a few ideas, sentimental things to us so I don’t think we’ll clash.’

            ‘Great.’ She beamed. ‘Wyatt and me are thinking about skydiving or a trip round San Fransisco, he’s always wanted to go on a road trip.’

            ‘Sounds good.’ I said.

            ‘Oh and I wanted to say, I’m on your side, what Wyatt did was messed up.’ She said quietly but I took her hand.

            ‘It’s all sorted now don’t worry about it.’

            ‘No but really, when he told me I thought he was joking.’ She leaned in.

            ‘I spoke with his boss, it’s all closed down now.’

            ‘You bet it is, I wanted to throw his laptop across the room when he showed me.’

            ‘Wait it was on his personal laptop? Not just at work?’

            ‘Yeah but he said that his boss got him to delete everything.’

            ‘Did you see him do it?’ I asked.

            ‘No but he said he did.’

            Oh I didn’t believe that for a second.

            ‘This is going to sound horrible-’

            ‘I know his password.’ Melinda cut me off. ‘And I know where it is.’

            I smirked.

            ‘You’re giving me permission to do this, with no judgement?’

            ‘He’s my brother, you don’t need permission.’ She replied, bouncing off the couch. ‘Besides he’s talking football with Chris in the kitchen, he won’t even notice it’s gone, come on.’

            Melinda lead the way up the stairs, peeping into one of the spare bedrooms and reappearing with a silver laptop in hand, darting across the landing to my bedroom.

            ‘Come on.’

            I darted in after her, closing the door behind me. Did I feel bad for snooping? Yes but if I were honest with myself, I would of gotten Tosh to do this exact same thing tonight.

            Melinda opened the laptop, put in the password and started rifling through the Wyatt’s files. I crossed my arms anxiously watching her and then door, worried it was going to burst open at any second.

It took about five minutes before she spoke.

            ‘Oh my God.’

            ‘What?’ I asked.

            Right there on the computer was a whole folder with my initials EJS, then when it was clicked into spanned more folders titled: routines, pictures, bank statements, insurance documents, the Tyler family, blood family, past relationships.

            I gently pushed Melinda out of the way, clicking through the pictures folder, barely able to believe my eyes as pictures from the last few weeks were right at the top. There were images of me walking into Sarah Jane’s house, as well as when everyone left to go to the Bubble Shock factory. Then there more of me walking into the hospital in London with all the bags of food. Okay, what the fuck?

            I clicked out of the folder and started going through everything he had on Jackie and Rose, there wasn’t anything extensive but it had their address, their work history, as well as Pete’s death certificate. It even had pictures of what their flat looked like. Wyatt wasn’t just investigating my life, he was tearing it apart.

            ‘Erin I’m so sorry I didn’t know he was doing this.’ Melinda said, seeming as horrified as I was to see the evidence in front of me.

            I’m not saying Retcon was my first solution to this problem but it was beginning to seem like the only one. I had some in my bedside drawer, if I slipped it to him at dinner tonight he’d wake up with no memory of Torchwood or why he was looking into me. Shit what about Melinda? She knew these photos were on here so I’d have to give her something too – fuck.

I couldn’t call the team, they’d all be exhausted after the two days in the middle of nowhere. This was my mess, I had to deal with it.

            ‘What are you doing?’ Wyatt’s voice boomed from the door, marching into my bedroom and snatching the laptop from the bed. ‘You can’t go through my stuff.’

            ‘You said the investigation was shut down.’ I said pointedly. ‘You told your boss and mine it was shut down but it’s not.’

            ‘Why did you lie about being at the hospital?’ He asked. ‘Why did you rope Chris into it?’

            ‘We didn’t lie, we just left before it was nothing but a crater in the ground, it’s not my fault your investigator didn’t capture that.’ I snarked back. ‘What the fuck are you doing?’

            ‘You’re life doesn’t make sense and I want to know why; half your records are fake, your middle and last name are fake, it isn’t Swann.’

            ‘Wyatt, we need to go downstairs.’ Melinda said, trying to push him but he didn’t move. ‘You’ve gone too far now, seriously Chris is gonna kill you.’

            ‘If it keeps him alive he’ll thank me.’ Wyatt quipped back.

            ‘Oh for the love of God.’ Melinda muttered, running out of the bedroom and down the stairs. I could faintly hear her when she said. ‘The CIA and Secret Services are having it out up there and it’s not pretty.’

            I didn’t care to listen to the shouts and rustle from downstairs as I stared at the laptop in Wyatt’s hand.

            ‘I love Chris, why can’t that be enough?’ I asked. ‘Chris knows-’

            ‘He knows a lie and I checked, you’re not in any sort of witness protection scheme and your adoption documents to a stable household were faked. I had to break a few firewalls but I saw that your adoption was handled by UNIT soon enough, now why would an intelligence agency handle an adoption?’

            ‘What kind of person do you think I am?’

            ‘A dangerous one.’ He answered, without a shred of hesitation. ‘I found this under the bed.’

            He pulled out my nine millimetre from the back of his trousers, tossing it on the bed.

            ‘Oh come on,’ I shook my head. ‘So what if I have a gun?’

            He had to of planted listening devices, maybe even a camera. He’d been going through my room to the point of checking under my mattress. Wyatt really was onto me, wasn’t he?

            ‘Who do you work for?’ He asked. ‘It’s not MI5 or MI6.’

            ‘Wyatt what the fuck is going on?’ Chris stormed up the stairs and into the bedroom, his eyes alight with fire. ‘Mel say’s you lied about shutting the investigation down.’

            ‘Of course I haven’t, she’s dangerous Chris.’ Wyatt snapped back. ‘And that so called rock climbing accident is bullshit, that kind of wound only happens-’

            ‘You’re not a doctor.’

            ‘I have enough field experience to know she’s a liar!’ Wyatt yelled. ‘Her last name isn’t Swann, her adoption documents are faked, hell it’s a good thing her brother works for the high court isn’t it?’

            ‘…What?’ I asked, since the last part of that sentence didn’t make any sense.

            ‘Your brother, he works for the high court, handles most of the classified documents and could easily get a judge to sign off on anything.’ He sneered.

            ‘I don’t have a brother.’ I said confidently.

            ‘James Hay, formerly Sturgeon, thirty-two years old.’ Wyatt retorted. ‘Works in Scotland but travels down to Cardiff to see his mother who’s in the Stepstone Institute, which is the care home you put her into and still pay for after her third visit to the emergency room years ago.’

            ‘Wyatt I don’t have a brother.’ I said, shaking my head. ‘I’m an only child, always have been.’

            This was all bullshit, I couldn’t have a brother since Katherine had made it perfectly clear that she didn’t want nor have anymore children because of me. This so called James person was older than me but surely it would of come up in my own paperwork if I had a brother.

            ‘Oh it was hard to find him, he changed his name after he married.’ Wyatt tossed the laptop onto my bed. ‘Must of looked better on paper, that or your mom really was shit.’

            ‘Get out!’ Chris pointed to the door. ‘Get your things and get out.’

            I felt my breathing hitch as I came to the realisation that maybe he was telling the truth, why would he lie? I couldn’t have a brother but evidently, I might have.

            ‘Look at her Chris,’ Wyatt said but Chris wasn’t listening.

            ‘Wyatt I’m gonna give you thirty seconds before-’

            ‘Her name is Erin Sturgeon, she’s twenty-four years old not twenty-five and she was adopted by the British, now she manipulates the media and probably works with her brother that she never told you about to-’

            ‘Stop talking about her and get out!’ Chris roared, this time grabbing his brother by the shoulders and shoving him out the bedroom door.

            He threw Wyatt against the top banister and I scrambled for the laptop, opening it and retyping the password I’d seen Melinda use, quickly finding my file and going through the blood family folder. Even though it was there in black and white I couldn’t believe it, James had the same face and lips as me, even had the same eye colour. He wore expensive suits and gloves, chatting happily with colleagues as he walked out of the High Court in Glasgow.

            ‘Wyatt what is going on?’ I heard Piper shout as she ran up the stairs but I was too busy reaching for my bedside drawer, grabbing a memory stick and copying everything I could onto it as the Halliwell’s had it out.

            How had this never came up when I looked into my family on the Torchwood server? How had Wyatt found this out before me?

 I knew why Wyatt was investigating me but why wasn’t my love for his brother enough? Who cares if my name was fake, it was one I was happy with! I didn’t want to be associated with my mother, was that such a crime after what she did and how she’s been treating me? She’d hid a whole other person from me, a whole other member of my family when I thought I was alone.

            ‘What is she doing?’ I heard Wyatt asked as the completion bar for copying the documents reached eighty percent. ‘What are you doing?’

            ‘You know Wyatt you did one thing for me,’ I said, leaning back as I watched the completion bar climb. ‘You’ve just told me exactly what kind of a man you are.’

            Once the memory stick was finished copying I flipped it over and pressed the small black button, inserting it into the computer once again. I couldn’t help the pride I felt as Wyatt’s computer glitched and spat out noises, the entire disc, documents and files being erased. I knew I kept Tosh’s prototypes hanging around for a reason. This thing could copy the documents and then delete them from the computer they were found on, in a matter of seconds.

            ‘I know now that you’ll never stop looking into my life no matter what I or Chris tells you,’ I said snapping the laptop shut and pocketing the memory stick. ‘I know that you’re a hunter, that you won’t give up and I applaud that but I love Chris, that should be enough.’

            ‘You’re dangerous.’ Wyatt repeated.

            ‘Wyatt stop this!’ Piper yelled. ‘This is absurd.’

            ‘Is it mom?’ He asked. ‘Then tell me why there’s four bullets missing from her gun.’

            ‘That doesn’t matter, get downstairs!’

            As I stared at Wyatt, I understood he was ruthless and I understood why he’d done what he had. I was dangerous, I worked in a place that dealt with death and destruction, with no thanks or sign of appreciation. I couldn’t even remember where the four bullets had gone too, I rarely used that gun and sometimes, if I needed an extra one at work, I’d take it in. Owen could of used it and I wouldn’t know any different.

            ‘Rose Tyler.’ Wyatt said and my whole body froze. ‘Jackie Tyler, and Mickey Smith – those were your friends weren’t they? You said from when you were younger but that’s not possible because that whole family went missing just over seven months ago now…you’re a dangerous woman to be around.’

            ‘Wyatt-’

            ‘No.’ I cut Chris off, pushing myself up from the bedroom floor and walking over to the group, who’d all huddled around the stairs. ‘Wyatt you don’t know what you’re dealing with here or more importantly, who.’

            ‘Then tell me.’

             I laughed, holding up the memory stick.

            ‘What exactly are you trying to prove here?’ I asked. ‘That I have a shit mother and a dad that works for the British government, it’s not breaking news Wyatt.’

            I tried talking to him like he was a child, like he could never understand that gravity of what he’d done. I didn’t want to Retcon him, I didn’t want to do anything of the sort but this had pushed it too far.

            ‘All your records are faked, you’re a ghost.’

            ‘And doesn’t that scare you to death?’ I asked, my voice but a whisper. ‘My life doesn’t make sense and you hate me for it, you can’t understand all the intricacies or details but you’re scratching the surface like an impatient child desperately wanting to be something you’re not.’

            ‘What are you getting at here?’

            ‘I’m just saying if the big bad interrogator from the CIA really was here, he’d ask better questions than that.’ I stated and Wyatt stopped for a moment. ‘Oh, didn’t you tell your family you lied about getting that promotion? You’re a guy in a cubical not some hot shot CIA agent.’

            ‘How do you know that?’ Chris asked shortly, turning to me.

            ‘Believe it or not it was when my job was doing a background check on your family, they do it with everyone, especially with those that might be in-lawed to the American’s…I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to embarrass him but hey, apparently two can play at this game.’

            ‘That’s not true.’ Wyatt shook his head. ‘I don’t work-’

            ‘You work at desk number eighty-seven and help plan and oversee small operations, you’re not a senior agent and you are in way over your head.’ I said, very finally. ‘So get your shit and get out of my house.’

            Wyatt didn’t say anything else but a face like fire burned away, he huffed pushing Chris away and grabbed for his stuff in the spare room, leaving the laptop behind and running down the stairs, slamming the front door behind him. Piper had her hands up, shock on her face as her mouth hung open, Melinda stood not too far away a hand over her mouth, while Chris bared his hands on the banister, not even looking at me.

            Why wasn’t he looking at me? Had I done something wrong? I wasn’t in the wrong this was all Wyatt’s fault, he’d been the one to do all of this!

            ‘I have a brother now…that’s exciting.’ I muttered, turning on my heel and slamming the bedroom door behind me.

            I eyed the Retcon in the drawer knowing full well what I had to do, there were enough pills in there for the whole family. We could go about our day dress shopping and wedding planning tomorrow and they wouldn’t know anything different. I carefully took the tin foiled packet from the drawer, knowing I’d have to find someway of getting this to Wyatt, the tablets dissolved in less than twenty seconds so putting it in the drinks would be the best course of action.

            Would Chris forgive me for doing this? He wouldn’t remember if he did anyway.

            Why did Wyatt have to go sticking his nose into other people’s business? I wasn’t dangerous!

I heard the crunch of gravel outside and the thunder of footsteps outside my door, I watched as a mere spectator as the scene between Chris and Wyatt unfolded. Both screaming at each but I didn’t care to listen to what they had to say, even when Piper, Melinda and his aunts joined in.

            I could do it now, put it in the orange juice they all had downstairs, I thought.

            I rushed down the stairs, thanking my lucky stars the door was closed and ripped as many tablets as I needed, plopping each of them into the glasses, leaving my own barren. I just had to get the family back inside the house, maybe I could play the fool, say I over reacted? I threw the now empty foil packet in the bin, shoving it underneath heaps of other empty containers.

            It was only then that I heard the small footsteps of Piper walking towards me, her arm resting on the door.

            ‘Are you alright, sweetie?’ She asked and I nodded.

            ‘Yeah sorry I just – I didn’t even know I had a brother.’ I said, bringing out the crocodile tears I’d practiced hundreds of times in the mirror. ‘My mother gave me up because of well you know why and told me I was the reason she didn’t have anymore children and now I find out…’ I trailed off, pushing the sob in my throat.

            ‘Oh sweetie.’ She cooed, pulling my into a tight hug. ‘It’s all too much today, isn’t it?’

            ‘I’m a good person, I don’t know why Wyatt hates me so much.’

            ‘Oh he doesn’t hate you.’

            ‘He does, he doesn’t trust me and now he’s got an investigator following me, I feel like I can’t breathe half the time, I’m scared I’ll lose my job and I’ll go to prison if this gets out.’

            ‘Now, you listen to me,’ Piper cupped my cheeks. ‘We are going to get this all sorted out, I’ll personally see to it, I’m not condoning what he did, Wyatt was wrong.’

            ‘I can’t believe I shouted at him like that, I’m sorry I was angry and-’

            ‘Oh don’t apologise for that,’ Piper said, bringing me into a hug again. ‘It’s going to be alright.’

            The tear filled expression dropped as I rested my chin on her shoulder, guilt now being the only thing coursing through my veins.

I knew what I had to do.

            It took about ten minutes to coax the family back inside, Wyatt included and when everyone sat down at the rather tense kitchen table, I revelled in knowing I had the upper hand. Even as we ate Chris held my hand under the table and I had half a mind to tell him not to drink the orange juice. He’d of wanted to try and work something out, he’d of wanted to find a better way but there wasn’t. The CIA couldn’t know of Torchwood and I wasn’t going to let my marriage be the cause of international relations breaking down.

            I wasn’t going to let Wyatt get the find of the century either, he wasn’t going to get promoted because he’d uncovered Torchwood.

            ‘Thank you for all of this,’ I said to Phoebe and Paige. ‘It’s much better than the canteen.’

            ‘Of course.’ Paige smiled quickly, sipping at her orange juice.

            Another fifteen minutes of tense silence passed before I noted all the orange juice had been drunk and I squirmed in my chair a little, still uncomfortable with what I’d done.

            ‘Listen Erin…’ Wyatt trailed off but the ends of his words were slurred.

            I couldn’t even bring myself to look him in the eye as Phoebe’s head dropped to her shoulders, asleep.

            ‘Aunt Pheobe?’ Chris asked, going to get up but his whole body dropped back to the seat in a heap.

            Fuck, I thought.

            He turned to me his eyes wide, whether they were filled with shock or betrayal however I couldn’t tell.

            ‘I’m sorry.’ I whispered, genuine stinging tears rising to my eyes this time. ‘I’m so sorry.’

            ‘Erin?’ He asked but I took both his hands, kissing his forehead and gently laying his head on the table to sleep.

            He didn’t move after that, his soft breaths warming my cold skin. His head drooping onto the table, I made sure he was comfortable before turning to the rest of the family, all of whom had fallen asleep, all except one.

            Wyatt’s eyes were drooping but they were staring at me.  

            ‘Who are you?’

            ‘Torchwood.’

            With that his eyes rolled into the back of his head and I let out a cry, my hand hovering over my lips as the guilt started to eat me alive. This was a nightmare. What had I done?

            I sprung up from the table, running upstairs to put everything back to where it was before, including Wyatt’s laptop. I grabbed my suitcase and bag from the bottom of the stairs and wheeled it back outside, taking a jacket and my phone with me. The air was a little cold on my damp hair but I didn’t care, I just had to get out of here. I locked the door behind me, walking up the long drive away from the manor, knowing the family would be safe. They’d be safe for a couple hours while I went to the Hub and sorted my business out.           

            The urge for sleep had disappeared as I yearned to know about my brother but what I was more concerned about, was finding this investigator. I needed to get in Wyatt’s files in the CIA, see what he had on his work computer because undoubtedly, he’d of made some kind of copy. I wondered if Mike had any friends in the states, UNIT had a base in New York so maybe they could get into the CIA for me.

            I knew leaving the family for six hours would be enough time for the Retcon to work. When I returned I knew I’d walk up the drive and be asked the same questions by Melinda and her family, tell the same story of what had happened to me at work and have the same conversation about what to get Chris for his birthday. Everything would be the same except, there would be no talk of Torchwood or my brother, Wyatt’s folder on me was deleted and everything could go back to normal.

            My life wouldn’t destroy Chris’, my life wouldn’t tear apart my future.

            The Doctor’s world wouldn’t decimate my chance at happiness.

1