Gentle Snow – FINALE
43 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Oh yeah, we do love some long chapters. Releasing a late because I'm on a trip and there were some unexpected delays. Sorry!

ac3d860ab2a7b8f502ce9246021c1095.png

7de16b54fece6ae2783b88156076665b.png

"What's that smell?!" Turning around, I notice too late as two very large dogs with two very dangerous axes come up behind me.

(Sniff, Sniff)

As the dogs bound towards me at the speed of light, I sigh and prepare for combat.

Full stopping randomly, they stand at either side of me, rudely smelling me. "Hey! Don't you know it's disrespectful to smell people without asking!" Taking a small step back, the dogs seem deep in thought.

"It smells like..." Looking at each other, they quickly ready themselves, (ELIMINATION!) Cracking my knuckles, I prepare for some hardcore patting.

68474e109f2b6330c472fb9d6a04ab8d.png

Both of the dogs, thoroughly spent, pant heavily while laying their heads on my lap, excitedly explaining their day and plans for the future.

"Oh! You're planning on getting married?" I say, Petting the male dog behind the ears. (Twelve years from now!) The female dog says, Leaning into my touch. Tails wagging in a circular motion, Both of the dogs seem content.

"Oh, In a year from now??" I say, trying my best to calculate the difference between dog years and human years. (I forgot humans take their time differently!) She says, still excited.

"Well alright," I say, slowly standing up. The dogs whimpered in sadness, realising this was me leaving. "Don't be too sad," I say, giving the dogs a light smile, "I'm not leaving forever." Recovering from their random bout of sadness, they rise from the ground and quickly begin pacing around. "Normally we would tell Undyne but..." The female dog finishes his sentence.  (, You're not a bad human, are you?) Smiling, they say one final word before standing away. "We'll make an exception!" Grabbing each other, they dart away. Still excited.

"What cute dogs!" I say, walking through the woods with renewed vigour. Chara, slowly acclimating to her sad reality, follows after me.7de16b54fece6ae2783b88156076665b.png

Looking at the puzzle, I quickly step over both X's to solve it, again, showing how great I am. Papyrus, watching as the spikes detract quickly comes over to me.

"WOWIE! HOW DID YOU EVADE MY TRAP?!" Looking at me, he pauses before continuing. "AND... IS THERE ANY LEFT FOR ME?" Thinking back to the frozen spaghetti that was quite literally stuck to the table, and the unplugged microwave next to it, and how... Unique the taste was, I tell him the truth. "I did eat it... but could you plug the microwave in next time? Crunchy spaghetti is an acquired taste..." Eyes shining with joy, Papyrus jumps excitedly. "REALLY!" Suddenly stopping his movement, he continues, "INCREDIBLE, NO ONE HAS EVER ENJOYED MY COOKING BEFORE!" Quickly catching himself, he reenergizes. "Well, when you're as awesome as me,  anything tastes good!" Beaming,  Papyrus speaks while leading me to his next puzzle. "WELL THEN! IF YOU ASK, I WILL MAKE YOU ALL OF THE PASTA YOU COULD EVER WANT! NYEH HEH HEH HEH!"

On the way to the puzzle, Papyrus talks about Sans and his sock collection...7de16b54fece6ae2783b88156076665b.png

"HUMAN!" Papyrus says as we stand next to a monstrous puzzle. "YOU WERE TAKING YOUR TIME, AND I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE GOOD TO IMPROVE MY PUZZLE WHILE YOU WERE ON YOUR WAY!" Pointing to his puzzle, he quickly deflates. "HOWEVER, THE SNOW QUICKLY COMPACTED AND CREATED SOMETHING THAT EVEN I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO!" Putting his hand in the air, Papyrus proudly continues, "HOWEVER, WORRY NOT! I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, WILL ASSIST YOU IN SOLVING THIS ONE!"

Both of us, walking up to the puzzle, prepare to solve it.

101ee6be7c1084179e7eb36b6390c1d4.png

Both panting heavily, I and papyrus get ready to solve the puzzle... again. Stepping on the final button, I yell to Papyrus to step on the switch. The spikes, Detracting, allow us to finally get past the puzzle. "AH, H-HUMAN" Breathing heavily in between words, Papyrus raises his hand. Catching on, I high-five Papyrus as we walk past the now-deactivated spikes. "WOWIE! THAT WAS FUN!" Papyrus says as I follow behind him. "Yeah! It was!" I say, barely aware of the dreadful cold. Walking past Sans, I can feel his distrustful stare pierce me as me and Papyrus walk in tandem through the heavy snow.

"ARIGHT, HUMAN-" Papyrus, catching himself, realises something. "WAIT! I CAN'T CALL SUCH A PUZZLE ENTHUSIAST SUCH A DRAB NAME!" completely forgetting that I haven't told Papyrus my name, he continues. "HUMAN! OR, AH... WHAT IS YOUR NAME..?" Stopping at the very complex puzzle, I smile, "Im Frisk." Papyrus, seemingly ecstatic, tells me to stay at this side while he walks to the other side of the puzzle. Sans, walking behind Papyrus, stands next to him as Papyrus clears his throat. "H-FRISK!" Papyrus catches himself. "AS A FELLOW PUZZLE ENTHUSIAST, I KNOW YOU ALREADY UNDERSTAND THIS PUZZLE!" Looking at the grey, deactivated puzzle, Papyrus grabs a switch and presses a button. "HOWEVER, IF YOU WOULD LIKE A REFRESHER, THEN I WOULD BE HAPPY TO GIVE YOU AN EXPLANATION!"

Staring through the puzzle with a curious gaze, I look back at Papyrus and Give him a thumbs up. "SO YOU DO KNOW THIS PUZZLE! WOWIE!!!" Pressing the switch, I watch as the puzzle comes to life. Vibrant colours swirl as the pattern is determined. 

Grinning, I watch as Papyrus looks at me with great expectation. Chara, Seemingly popping in from nowhere, looks at me with a shit-eating grin. "So you can barely solve a word search, but you think that you can solve an incredibly complex puzzle like this?"

'Watch me' I whisper under my breath, taking my first step onto the puzzle....f1d8f4fad0a0a0c2452b579bc46b97f6.png"WHAT?!" Jaw nearly hitting the floor, she watches as I effortlessly waltz through the puzzle. Papyrus, Smiling claps as I reach the other side with a bow. "I KNEW IT! YOU REALLY ARE A MASTER PUZZLE SOLVER, JUST LIKE ME!" Chara, still slackjawed goes silent as I soak up all of the praise. Papyrus, grabbing my hand, practically pulls me to the next room.

7de16b54fece6ae2783b88156076665b.png

"....YEAH! LIKE THAT!" Papyrus says as I slide across the ice. "THEN, ILL HIT THE SWITCH AND WE CAN CONTINUE!" Sliding back to the snow, me and Papyrus high five as he confidently stomps on the switch, causing the previously hidden bridge to emerge. "WOWIE, SOLVING PUZZlES WITH FRIENDS IS SO MUCH FUN!" Sliding across the ice, Papyrus seems happy. emerging from the trees, I shake the snow off my head and shiver. "I-its cold.." I say, shivering. "AH! I FORGOT ABOUT THAT!" Papyrus, seemingly forgetting that the feeling existed, reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a shirt that says 'COOL DUDE'. "I ALWAYS BRING MY SPECIAL CLOTHES WITH ME, JUST IN CASE ANYTHING SPECIAL HAPPENS!!!" Handing me the shirt, I slip it on. Draping to the floor, Papyrus stares strangely. Noticing the problem, he stares at me differently. "FRISK... YOU ARE... QUITE," Wondering how to say it without being rude, he goes for it, "SHORT. VERY SHORT." Looking up to meet his eyes, I pout. "Im not that short! You're just... Very tall!" Giving him his shirt back, Papyrus goes back into deep thought. "...MAYBE SANS WOULD HAVE SOME BETTER FITTING CLOTHES? YOU BOTH ARE PRETTY SMALL!" Papyrus, not seeing my very reluctant face, Screams, "SANS!!!!!!!!!"

"yeah bro?' replies Sans, walking out from behind a random tree.

"DO YOU HAVE ANY SPARE CLOTHING?" 

"i have a skele-tonne socks" Staring at Sans with a face of pure grief, looks at me with an apologetic expression. "SANS! YOU KNOW THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT! 

"what about shorts? i bet theyre all bonely in my closet." 

"SANS!!!!!!"

"come on, your smiling."

"I AM, AND I HATE IT!"

Standing to the side and listening to their conversation, I sneeze.

"SANS! FRISK IS GOING TO GET A... WHAT DO HUMANS GET WHEN THEY'RE SICK?"

Sans, seemingly less on guard around me, winks. Chara, with a glare that could kill a bear, stares daggers at sans.

"they get a 'cold', and its snot funny" Chuckling, I watch as Papyrus nearly strangles Sans, but holds himself back. "SANS. DO YOU HAVE A SPARE JACKET?" Papyrus asks, staring pleadingly at sans

Sighing, Sans give in.

"yea. ill go get it. its snow problem"

"SAAAANSSSSS!" Running away, Sans vanishes into the tree line. "HE'LL SADLY BE BACK SOON. THAT BONEHEAD!!!

Sneezing again, Papyrus smiles. "HUMAN! I MUST SADLY LEAVE YOU FOR NOW! THE NEXT PUZZLE ISNT FULLY SET UP CURRENTLY, AND IT WOULD BE A TRAVESTY FOR YOUR PUZZLE-SOLVING SKILLS TO GO TO WASTE!" Giving him a thumbs up, he smiles before walking away.

"It seems like you and Papyrus are pre-tty good friends." She says, still annoyed at Sans and his shit jokes. "He is pretty great," I say, rubbing my nose.

"ya talking to yourself kid" Suprised by his random interjection, I turn around and see Sans holding a jacket. "like i said, its snow problem" Staring at him, I wait for the 'but', "but theres snow place like home, so, seeya" Throwing it at me, I catch it out of the air. "Thank you!" I say, glad to finally cover up. 'whats changed?' he says quietly to himself, before vanishing from sight.

"I AM GOING TO TEAR HIS FACE OFF!" Screaming, Chara again flails in the air like a baby bird learning to fly. Chuckling lightly at the pun-y interaction, I slip on his jacket and walk down the path, far warmer than I was a minute ago.

7de16b54fece6ae2783b88156076665b.png

"Why does it smell like bones???" Confused, I walk past the Snow Poffs. "What do bones even smell like?" Chara asks, genuinely interested.

"Startch?" I say, still not 100% sure myself. "Really?" Shrugging my shoulders, she blinks. "The more you know I guess..."

Advancing past the snow piles, I spot one directly down my path. "Arf!" Says the Snow Poff. "What the-" Suddenly,  a dog covered in plate armour pops out of the ground. "Arf!" Says the dog, excited. Pointing its spear at me, It starts with a lunge. Ducking under the spear, I get closer to the greater dog. Noticing my advancement, it backs away and prepares a spell. Quickly casting, A spear flies towards my face. Unprepared for such a thing, I put my hand out to block it.

Piercing my gloves, I wince in pain as it penetrates my hand before disappearing. Noticing the effectiveness of its attack, It doesn't stop casting. Deftly moving out of the way, I watch as the spears penetrate the ground deeply behind me. Getting closer,  I beckon the dog towards me.

Almost immediately, Its attacks stop and it bounds forward excitedly, Seemingly forgetting that we were fighting. Using my right hand, I slowly pat the dog on its head. Suddenly, the dog pops out of its armour and lands on my head. Smiling, I let the dog lay there. The dog, not making an attempt to leave falls asleep on my head. "Chara." Looking at me with a knowing look she stares at the dog. "Frisk. I don't think you can kee-" Cutting her off, I interject. "Pleseeeee." Conflicted, Chara sighs. "Well alright then..." Thanking her before she can say anything else, I continue down the path, the dog on my head. "...Should'nt you do something about your hand??" Confused, I look at my left hand and watch as blood pours from my deep wound. "I, uh... Forgot??" Pinching the bridge of her nose in frustration, She shoos me away. Licking my hand to hopefully stop the bleeding, I proceed down the path.

7de16b54fece6ae2783b88156076665b.png

Walking down the bridge, The dog wakes up and excitedly barks while shifting. Patting the dog with my right hand, I'm careful to not reopen my lacerated left.

"FRISK!" Quickly coming down the bridge to meet up with me, Papyrus starts. ", THERE WAS GOING TO BE AN INCREDIBLE PUZZLE HERE! BLADES FLYING, SPEARS SWOOSHING THROUGH THE AIR, CANNONS FIRING!" Quickly taking a breath, he doesn't stop. "HOWEVER, I CAN'T BARE TO USE SUCH BARBARIC METHODS ON A FELLOW PUZZLE CONNISEUR!" Noticing the dog on my head, Papyrus squints. The dog, Fully re-energized from its nap, jumps off of my head and onto his shoulder. "WOE IS PAPYRUS..." He says, signalling for me to follow behind him. 

At the end of the bridge, the dog gets bored of harassing Papyrus and jumps back onto my head. Giggling, I pat the dog as I follow Papyrus to Snowdin.

7de16b54fece6ae2783b88156076665b.png

"Hello traveller" Looking up, I see a large bunny woman staring back. "Y'need anything?" Feeling woozy, I look around the shop "Do you sell bandages?" Ungripping my gloved hand, I wince as blood begins flowing onto the ground. "Oh, sweety! You don't need a bandage, you need stitches. Come over." sitting down in the chair next to her, She rushes off to get medical supplies from the back room.

"Maybe you shouldn't try to grab the pointy end of a spear with your hand" Fully taking off the glove, I cringe at the sight of the gaping wound at the top of my palm. Quickly re-applying the pressure, I wait for the rabbit lady to come back. Having gotten everything she needed, She comes back and sits opposite me. "Give me your hand," She says sweetly, obviously trying to make me less anxious. Giving her my hand, She looks lost in thought. "How did this even happen?" Looking up at the sleeping dog on my head, I sheepishly lie and say that I fell over into a pile of very jagged rocks. 

"Tell me if it hurts," Getting a bottle of alcohol, she dabs a white ball with it, before gingerly going over the wound. Nearly gasping at the radiating pain from my hand, I keep quiet.

"All right..." Entranced in the process, she quickly looks for any debris lodged inside the wound. seeing nothing, She gets a long needle ready. Sighing, I prepare myself.

7de16b54fece6ae2783b88156076665b.png

"T-thank you," I say, looking over the sutures. My pain tolerance seemed to have completely vanished. "No problem honey. Do you need anything else? The situation was quite dire, so the procedure was on the house." Silently thanking god,  I check my pockets to see if I have the funds necessary to purchase anything. 

Pulling, I find a scrap of my shirt, a button, and 26G. "Do you have a cheap pack that I could purchase?" Looking around, she walks into the backroom before coming out with a tiny light green pack. "I know it's not the largest, but you seem quite low on funds." Looking at the tag, I see the 25G price. Pale, I hand her the money and grab the pack.

"I'll tell my sister you're in town. She runs the Inn next door, and you seem like you need a nap." 

"I don't really have the money for something like that," I reply, Looking over the solitary coin in my pocket.

"It's on the house she says" Grinning. Walking next door wave Papyrus goodbye and walk into the inn. Moving to the desk, I look up to see a tall, lithe rabbit lady. "Your, uhm... Your sister told me to come here?"Smiling sweetly, she speaks. "Yes, she did. Now follow me upstairs." following after her, she leads me into a room with a bed, a lamp, and a small nightstand. "You can stay here for as long as you need," She says, tousling my hair." 

"Thank you." smiling happily, I walk into the room as she closes the door behind me. "You need more stamina" Chara states, floating around the room. "Stamina training takes a long time, time which we don't really have" Sitting on the bed, I yawn and stretch my body. "We aren't on a time limit per-se. We just need to get out of here." 

"I also don't really think that I want to exercise in Snowdin for-" Shooting me a glare, I sigh as I take the still asleep dog off of my head. "Do I have to?" I say, Praying.

"Yes."

Groaning, I lay in bed. "Really?" I say, still slightly hopeful. 

"Frisk. You almost lost your head to a goddamn mutt. You're lucky you were wearing those thick gloves, else you might not have had much of your hand left." Wincing at the very true statement, I give in. "Alright, but for how long? I don't feel like staying here for too long." Taking off the jacket, I set it on the floor.

"Long enough for your lungs to not implode on themselves when you go for a light jog."

"A billion years."

Shooting another glare at me, she groans and vanishes. Leaving me all by myself. Yawning one final time, I pull the covers over myself, Letting sleep overtake me.

7de16b54fece6ae2783b88156076665b.png

 

2