Chapter 59 – The Moment He Had Been Waiting For
32 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I look at their ugly faces, I remember that moment vividly. Not long before that, I discovered my uniqueness one day in class when I had forgotten to bring my pencil, and it suddenly appeared before me like it was the most natural thing in the world. I tried to hide it and made no mention of it to anyone, not even my family, but it didn't take long for them to start banging at our doors.

"Open up!"

They said it in English, but as we were a Portuguese-speaking family, we couldn't understand what they were saying. One of my older brothers hesitantly made his way to the door and unlocked it. As soon as he did, army men sporting unfamiliar uniforms surrounded us and extended their filthy hands towards me. My mother fought against them with everything she had, but they shot her and threatened to kill anyone else who resisted. 

It was like the world had slowed down at that moment as I stared at her dying form. I'll never forget that look on her face. It was so gentle, caring, and compassionate. I never knew my father, and as difficult as it was for her, she did everything she could to raise my two older brothers and me. She ran a baking shop and would work long hours, even on weekends, to make ends meet, but she rarely ever took her frustrations out on us and would play with us whenever she had the time.

My father had likely ditched us all after he had had his fun, leaving her to fend for herself, but she was always so optimistic, always smiling. I can only remember two times in the twelve years I stayed at that house that I ever saw her cry, and that speaks volumes about her emotional fortitude and inner beauty, so why did she have to die?! She told me to live nobly and follow the right path in as weak a voice as she could muster. It was all she could do at that moment, and I obliged. 

I was drafted into the military to serve a country I didn't know. I was forced to work for the same people who killed her, performing minor tasks for them like some errand boy. I burned with rage every single day, hoping they would lose the war and fervently desiring their deaths. I would curse them under my breath whenever I saw or was reminded of them, and my hatred was the only thing keeping me going. I so badly wanted to shred them all to pieces, yet I couldn't forget my mother's last words. If I killed them, I wouldn't be following the right path, I reasoned, so I let the hatred grow inside of me till I couldn't take it anymore and escaped. 

It was a brilliant solution, if I do say so myself. I wouldn't have to be in such a difficult spot if I escaped, so I teleported to an unfamiliar land and started honing my powers there. I can't even be sure of why I wanted power back then. Was it to exact revenge? Or did I just need something to distract myself? Over time, I started seeking power to enforce peace and help those in need. It was in accordance with my mother's last wishes, but a part of me was still unsatisfied, crying out for revenge. 

Lydia came at the right time and spoke to that part of me, and I decided to join her solely for that reason. I knew she was trying to deceive me. I just decided to play along, and now, I have no regrets.

"Spare us!"

Cried the same army men I had been seeking to exact vengeance upon. They were older, sure, but I could never forget their faces. 

"Why should I oblige to your selfish wishes any more than I have?"

"Huh?"

They seemed to be confused, meaning they probably didn't even remember me or my mother, for that matter. That fact only proved to stir up the flames of wrath within me, but I managed to preserve my cool exterior. 

"What should I tell you? That I'll be sending you to a magical land of sunshine and rainbows? Don't make me laugh!"

They all trembled like frightened mice before me, and it felt good. It made me think that revenge wasn't such a bad idea after all. 

"You'll suffer a fate worse than death, and not just you..."

I fixed my eyes with an especially cold glare at the rest of the U.S army and government officials behind them and continued,

"Everyone who supported and empowered that twisted system must pay."

Apparently, I wasn't the only Irregular who suffered such things. In a way, I could even say I got off lightly. My ability was underdeveloped, so they only used me for errands like a slave, but I've heard of Irregulars who were used as living weapons till they died. Just imagining what it would be like to be forcefully separated from your family, only to serve your abductors in a war until you die, fills me with an unexplainable emotion. Betraying an ally may not be noble, but punishing these evil bastards is the right thing to do. 

"You'll all be sent to the Hell dimension I specially created for you, where you'll be tortured for your crimes until I'm satisfied."

"No, plea—"

Before they could even start begging, I sent them all there with an irritated look on my face. It was too late for them to beg for forgiveness. Why couldn't they understand that?

"W-w-what about us?"

A man stammered. I had been so fixated on those scum that I had forgotten about the others, so I addressed the man, saying,

"I have nothing personal against you, so I'll be sending you back in the near future."

Relief washed over the man's face, and the thought came to me,

Or I could send him to Hell...

But I quickly changed my mind, thinking,

That's not very noble, is it?

I looked at the remaining researchers I had transported from the Coliseum and thought,

These bastards also have to pay for their crimes, so I'll do Lydia a favor and send them, too.

I probably had a nasty grin by now as I thought,

She thought she had me inside the palm of her hand. Too bad this is what her overconfidence led to. I've destroyed her Psi generator now, and all that's left is for Tsuruno to win the war. 

0