Chapter 78: Balancing Safety and Opportunity
52 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The prospect of Adam stepping onto the glitzy, often confrontational platform of a talk show didn't sit well with him. 

"A talk show?" he questioned, his voice layered with apprehension. 

"Aunt Annabelle, I... I'm not so sure about that."

Annabelle locked her gaze with him, her expression earnest. "Adam, think about it. This would be a massive opportunity to show the world we are serious. If we are to convince people to join us, we need them to see you, to hear you. You are the Archon of our cult."

He considered her words, running his hand through his hair with a sigh. "Isn't there someone else who can go instead? Maybe you? Or Mum?"

Melissa cut him off, her tone firm. "No, Adam. This is your responsibility. As Archon, you are the face of our organization. It's your vision, your conviction, that needs to be communicated."

Adam exhaled deeply, a sign of his resignation. 

His father, Yusuf, spoke up then, his brow furrowed with worry. "But what if they twist his words? The media can be combative, especially when dealing with something as controversial as a cult."

Annabelle said. "They will provide the questions beforehand, Yusuf. We can prepare accordingly."

Stella chimed in, "Yeah, but what are the chances they'll stick to them? Those hosts are slippery."

Despite his initial hesitation, Adam found himself siding with his aunt's perspective. "I think it's a good idea," he admitted, catching everyone by surprise. 

"Even if it goes horribly wrong, it will put us out there further. It's worth a try. Besides," he added with a hint of a smirk, "I have my charisma to help out. No one else should have access to their attributes right now."

Annabelle gave an approving nod. "Exactly, Adam! Use that to your advantage. Also, your words will carry a lot more weight if you can show them your attributes."

Yusuf looked dubious. "Is it wise to show off his attributes? Sure, my family and the Emmanuels have a lot of influence, but we can't go up against the governments of the world if they decide they want something from Adam."

The room fell into an uneasy silence as the reality of Yusuf's words sank in. If they played this wrong, they could be making dangerous enemies. 

Ones that could overshadow even the power of the Emmanuels.

"Should we take the risk?" Adam questioned, glancing around at his loved ones. 

"If we show everyone... we stand to gain so much." Despite the firmness of his words, there was a tremor of uncertainty in his gaze. 

He was fully aware of the gravity of the situation - the gamble was massive, perhaps the largest he'd ever taken on Earth. He wasn't immortal here. 

The wrong kind of attention could prove deadly.

Yusuf quickly countered, his worry evident. "I really don't think it's a good idea, Adam. I can't protect you if you show off like that. It's too early. People might not understand what it means to be tier 1. They don't understand talents, but if you show off actual verifiable power..."

Annabelle shook her head in disagreement, "Eventually someone is going to reach tier 1 and they will show off their power. We need to get ahead of this. I’m sure the governments of the world will be too busy to do anything."

Melissa chimed in to support her friend. "Annabelle is right, honey. We stand to gain a lot, so many people will be looking towards the cult for guidance on the Dreamverse."

But Yusuf remained resolute. "No." 

"This conversation ends here. I'm not having Adam take such a big risk for such little gain."

"We are potentially letting another—" Annabelle tried to argue, but was cut off by Yusuf.

"Stop." His voice held a stern warning. 

"You can't convince me, Annabelle. I've been ignoring you and Melissa conspiring against the Emmanuel family. It's not my place to get involved too much when it comes to them. But this... this is different. You're playing with my son's life."

Melissa rose to the challenge. "Yusuf, he's my son too," she protested.

Yusuf retorted, his anger flaring. "And? I don't know what your mother did exactly that made you so reckless. You and Annabelle have forgotten there are consequences for our actions." 

He paused, sweeping his gaze over the room. 

"Don't forget what Adam is. If people figure out what he's done... Your plan will bring that day much, much sooner. I'm not risking Adam's safety for something we will eventually gain. I'm putting my foot down here.”

Yusuf turned to Adam. “Son, promise me you will not go on a talk show.”

A heavy silence fell over the room. Adam didn't expect his father's outburst, but he could see the logic in his words. 

However, his mother and Aunt Annabelle had valid points too, and their arguments had already swayed him.

"Dad, I-I can't promise you that," Adam confessed hesitantly.

Yusuf's expression crumpled. "Adam, it's for your own safety. Please don't do this."

Adam's heart ached at the sight of his father's pain, but he knew he had to make his own decision. 

"I'm sorry, dad. All I can promise is that I will consult you first before doing anything. It also won't be anytime soon."

"Fine." 

Yusuf's voice was heavy with resignation. "I can agree to that. But you have to tell me, Adam. I'm serious. I won’t forgive you if you don’t tell me."

“I promise.”

He hoped that concession would be enough for his father. It was touching to witness his dad's concern about his safety, even to the point of initiating a tense argument. 

He nodded at Yusuf, saying, "Let's shelf this topic for now. We'll discuss it another time since there is no need to rush it." 

Turning to Annabelle, he asked, "Aunt Annabelle, what's the objective today?"

"I've set up a timetable for today," Annabelle replied. "Remember the 100 people who wanted to join?"

Adam nodded in affirmation, prompting her to continue.

"Well, I've invited them today to a hall I rented out. You will be inviting them all into the cult. This will be a recurring event until we find out if digital invitations are enough."

Now Adam was intrigued. "That's fine. I'm guessing you're testing the digital invites now?"

"Yes," Annabelle confirmed. "I have a small group I'm testing this on. I'll be testing emails, pre-recorded video messages and if video calls are enough. I'll need you for some of these tests."

Adam proposed an idea. "Have you thought about checking if others can invite someone to the cult? Now that we have the ranks, can you check to see if you are able to invite people?"

Annabelle looked surprised. "That's an oversight on my part. I'll test that."

Adam reassured her. "No worries, we're still new to this. It's not like there is a guidebook for this kind of thing."

Stella chimed in then, her voice filled with curiosity. "Why do you think that? What if there is? I'm sure other races have written their experiences down."

The room fell silent as everyone turned to look at Stella.

"What?" She queried innocently.

Adam's eyes lit up with excitement. "Stella, that's an amazing idea. I can't believe none of us have thought about that. When I get back, I'll ask if mother Zara can find me some."

At that moment, Annabelle's phone started to ring. 

She checked the caller ID and said, "I need to take this call. Adam, Stella, get ready. We'll be leaving soon."

"Will do," Adam responded, his mind already racing with the exciting possibilities Stella's suggestion presented.

The realization that there could be existing guidebooks to the apocalypse was enlightening. He knew he had to get his hands on those books. 

Not only would they provide valuable information, but they could drastically alter his approach to dealing with the apocalypse.

He prepared himself to leave, slipping into the suit laid out on his bed. Stepping out, he noticed Stella was also dressed in a suit, and they spent some time joking around before departing.

As they were boarding the SUV, Adam saw his mother engaged in a heated conversation with some staff. Her face wore an expression of displeasure. 

Intrigued, he turned to Annabelle, who was engrossed in something on her tablet. "What's mum doing?" he asked.

"She's firing those who fell under your grandmother's influence," Annabelle replied without looking up from the tablet. 

"We won't tolerate traitors living among us."

Adam frowned at the situation but chose not to comment. They filled the journey to the event hall with light banter. 

London had always been a bustling city, but the current atmosphere felt different, eerie. The situation with the National Health Organization was particularly distressing. 

The health sector had been in trouble even before the apocalypse, but the number of coma patients had pushed it to the brink of collapse.

Upon reaching the event hall, they were ushered through a separate entrance by their security team. 

Backstage, Annabelle fussed over Adam's suit, ensuring he looked his best. 

Adam chuckled at Stella, who was sneakily making faces behind her mother.

Annabelle, while adjusting his collar, warned Stella, "I know what you're doing, young lady."

Stella responded with a sheepish grin. 

Annabelle, satisfied with Adam's appearance, turned to Stella. "Your turn now. Let's get you looking your best, honey."

Once Annabelle was done with Stella, Stella inquired, "Mum, when is this starting?"

Checking her watch, Annabelle replied, "Soon. I'll be going up now. I'll call you two in a moment. I'll start things off." 

With that, she left, leaving Adam and Stella behind.

With the sound of Annabelle's voice indicating the commencement of the event, Adam turned to Stella. 

"You ready, Vice Archon?" he asked.

Stella responded humorously with a mock salute, "I'm always ready, Archon." 

Their laughter filled the backstage area, easing the tension.

"I never thought I would be a vice leader of a cult," Stella confessed. 

"You know, I’ve had that typical phase where I wanted to be a princess and a handsome prince would come and sweep me off my feet. But I'm glad that isn’t the case. I would much rather be a badass wizard cultist than some damsel in distress."

Adam was about to respond when Annabelle's voice boomed through the speakers, interrupting their conversation. 

"I guess that’s our cue," he noted, offering his arm to Stella. 

She looked slightly disappointed to end their conversation, but took his arm regardless. 

"I guess it is," she said.

Stepping onto the stage, they were met with a sea of faces. The hall was packed to the brim, with people even standing due to the lack of seats. 

He was sure there were more than a hundred people present, more than what was initially invited.

"Everyone here is the person who made this all possible. The reason why we can help everyone here," Annabelle proclaimed, gesturing towards Adam, who flashed his best smile in response. 

"Please welcome the Archon of the Immortal Dream Cult."

The crowd burst into applause. The response was unexpected. 

Adam had assumed there would be resistance to a kid leading a cult. But their clapping suggested otherwise.

With a nod, Annabelle passed the mic to him, moving to stand behind him. 

Taking the mic, Adam addressed the crowd, "Thank you." 

He glanced at Stella, who released his arm and stood proudly by his side. He knew it was time for his charisma attribute to do it’s work.

"Welcome everyone. My name is Adam Emmanuel-Amin. I'm the leader of the Immortal Dream cult. I’m also a tier 1 being in the Dreamverse and recently prince of a Dreamverse organization," he declared, his voice clear and strong.

Adam held the audience captive with his words, his high charisma attribute making his voice an irresistible magnet for attention.

I'm finally free! just went to my friend's wedding today. 

I've added a sneak peak into the next chapter here:

Spoiler

Adam began, "when I awakened to tier 1 in the Dreamverse, I was granted a talent. It is known as the Immortal Dream Cult. I didn’t choose to call it a cult but whatever force grants us talents when we awaken decided to name it so."

A ripple of interest spread through the crowd at this revelation. Their attention was now fixated solely on him.

"This talent does exactly what you might guess from its name. It offers a form of immortality in the Dreamverse. Once you join our ranks, your soul is safeguarded. You can't die in the Dreamverse. Instead, any harm that would otherwise prove fatal will only result in pain."

His words were met with gasps and murmurs of astonishment. 

Yet, he continued unperturbed, weaving a captivating narrative that kept the audience hanging on his every word.

"But being part of the Immortal Dream Cult is not just about that. It's about belonging to a community, a family. We share knowledge, pool resources, and provide support to one another. We are united, helping each other navigate through the trials and tribulations of the Dreamverse."

The audience was quiet, taking in his words. 

Adam gave them a moment before he continued, "Furthermore, our cult offers a unique path for growth, an easier way of leveling up that you won't find anywhere else."

He paused once again, his gaze scanning the audience, "And all that we ask in return... is your loyalty."

His voice dropped a notch, adding a touch of solemnity to his next words, "Many of our fellow Earthlings are currently in a coma. Their souls are destroyed. They are, for all intents and purposes, dead."

He let the weight of his words settle before he continued, a touch of sorrow creeping into his tone, "My heart grieves for them. They did not deserve such a fate. And it is our responsibility, our mission, to ensure that no more of our kind suffer the same."

His words were met with silence. A silence so deep, you could almost hear the heartbeats of the listeners echoing in the room.

Suddenly, the silence was shattered by the sound of a door being slammed open. 

Three men, dressed in robes, burst into the room. 

The man in the lead had a distinct air of authority about him as he stepped forward.

The man in the lead barked out, “Enough of this heresy! This is nothing more than a false promise of immortality!”

Adam fixed the man with an icy stare. “And who might you be to disrupt this gathering?”

[collapse]

2