Chapter 166
2.9k 6 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

3/3

Once again, thank you for the donation! Here's the bonus chapter for you <3

Edited: 15/10/23


 

The assessment organized by the Ministry of Public Works concluded successfully. Now, it was only a matter of time to verify the feasibility of this approach and make continual adjustments. Once proven effective, it could be extended to the entire Da Huan. However, this process wouldn't happen overnight.

The citizens of the capital most tangibly felt the changes within the imperial court. The emergence of "民报" (Minbao)1People's Daily newspaper deepened their understanding of Da Huan. The more they knew, the stronger their sense of belonging became. With public sentiment united, Da Huan's development thrived without harm.

In the tranquil afternoon, Shen Yu sat on a swing in the courtyard, basking in the sun. The warm sunlight gently enveloped him, bringing a sense of comfort. In his hands was a book, one of the most popular novels outside the palace. It was based on him and Shang Junlin, nestled among a pile of other books. Shen Yu had picked it out.

Shen Yu had originally thought that someone with Shang Junlin's temperament wouldn't let such things circulate among the common people.

Flipping through a few pages, Shen Yu roughly understood. In this novel, the explicit descriptions were removed, but the depiction of their emotions was delicately crafted. It was more touching and heartwarming than the original version.

Unconsciously, Shen Yu immersed himself in the novel and didn't even notice Shang Junlin walking over.

Golden sunlight filtered through the gaps between leaves and fell upon the young man, while a gentle breeze rustled the foliage, causing the spots of light to dance. Seated on the swing woven from green vines, his gaze was fixed on the book in his hands, and the moment was tranquil and beautiful.

Seeing this scene, Shang Junlin's heart settled.

As a palace servant prepared to offer greetings, Shang Junlin gestured for her to stand down.

"Mu Xi, hand me that plate of chestnut cake." As he spoke, Shen Yu's gaze never left the book in his hands.

After a moment, the chestnut cake appeared within his view. It was evident that the hand picking it up didn't belong to a woman. Shen Yu lifted his gaze and met a pair of smiling eyes.

"Your Majesty, how come you came over without anyone announcing your presence?" Shen Yu paused for a moment.

Shang Junlin fed him a piece of the cake, saying, "I saw you engrossed in your reading and didn't want to disturb you. What are you reading? What's so captivating?"

Shen Yu took a bite of the cake, savoring the sweet and delightful taste in his mouth, then squinted his eyes. "A novel written by Mr. Qingli. It's quite good."

Qingli was a bold individual who directly used the current emperor and noble monarch as prototypes for a novel.

As soon as this name came up, Shang Junlin knew what Shen Yu was reading. He walked over and sat next to Shen Yu, holding a small plate of chestnut cakes. From time to time, he would feed a bite to Shen Yu.

"Does Ah Yu like what he wrote?" Shang Junlin inquired.

"It's quite moving. This novel sells well outside the palace, right?" Shen Yu hadn't forgotten that he had picked this book out from a stack of bestsellers.

There were dedicated palace attendants responsible for purchasing and categorizing the storybooks brought to Shen Yu's palace. Shen Yu often started reading from the most popular ones.

"People are naturally curious about things they can't experience firsthand. Though not explicitly stated, those who read it assume that it's about me and you," Shang Junlin admitted.

Shen Yu closed the storybook and turned his head to look at Shang Junlin. "I thought Your Majesty wouldn't allow such storybooks to circulate among the common people."

"What's wrong with letting everyone know that I have deep feelings for Ah Yu?" Shang Junlin's tone was calm.

Shen Yu hadn't expected that Shang Junlin's reason for allowing the storybook to circulate would be this.

"Has Your Majesty met Qingli?"

"What does Ah Yu want to do?"

"This person's writing style is excellent, with great power to evoke emotions. It's a waste for him to write only novels. Why not invite him to contribute to People's Daily newspaper? It could be a great contribution to the people."

People's Daily was a newspaper sponsored by the court, directly under the emperor's authority. By inviting Qingli to be the chief editor of People's Daily, would essentially grant him a legitimate position within the imperial court.

"I've inquired about it. He said he doesn't want to be constrained. He thinks writing these small storybooks is quite satisfying."

For some reason, Shen Yu didn't find this strange. Anyone bold enough to write a small storybook about the emperor likely wouldn't be someone who followed conventional norms.

Since the person wasn't willing, Shen Yu didn't press the matter further.

"Your Majesty, you should try this chestnut cake. It tastes good."

Influenced by Shen Yu, the cooks at Yu Zhang Palace were enthusiastic about exploring culinary arts, especially various pastries.

After the results of the Ministry of Public Works assessment were announced, some were joyful while others were disappointed. Those who passed the examination began to pack their belongings in preparation to take up positions in the Ministry of Public Works. With the Ministry of Public Works currently in need of manpower, the Minister of Public Works swiftly enlisted the successful candidates.

Several cement roads had been laid down in the capital, and with their completion, many people aspired to become officials. The funds for road construction were sponsored by several influential merchants in the capital. Once the roads were completed, the merchants were granted the naming rights for those roads through discussions.

For these businessmen, this was a significant honor. Moreover, beside each road, a small monument was erected, bearing the information of the sponsoring individuals.

In the largest restaurant in the capital, the Yingxing House, several prominent merchants gathered. Yan Zheng, who had returned to the capital, was among them.

"Nowadays, there are inscriptions with our information on the monuments beside the roads the court constructed. In the past, who could have imagined such a day?"

"Indeed, I heard that the imperial court is preparing to erect a stone monument listing the personnel providing aid to the Northern Expedition. Yan-gongzi, do you have any inside information?" One of the merchants raised his wine cup.

At this point, they were all speculating whether Yan Zheng, an outsider among them, had connections with some high-ranking officials. Otherwise, how could he be so well-informed about internal matters?

Yan Zheng clinked his cup with theirs and finished the wine inside. "The information I've received indicates that the monument will be ready before the New Year, and the promised rewards will be distributed then as well. Additionally, it seems that after this year, the imperial court is planning to revise the commercial laws."

Yan Zheng's words reverberated like thunder among the people, and even Jin-gongzi couldn't help but show surprise.

"Is that true?"

"What kind of changes are they planning?"

"Actually, the current situation is quite good for us merchants. It's already much better than in the previous dynasty."

"Yan-gongzi, do you have more accurate information?" Jin-gongzi asked in a hushed tone.

"Rest assured, Jin-gongzi. The new commercial laws will only be more favorable for us than the old ones. As for the specifics, I'm not very clear. The imperial court has only proposed an idea so far, and the more concrete details will need to be discussed and decided by the ministers."

Yan Zheng knew all of this due to Shen Yu's revelation. Shen Yu had mentioned this matter to Shang Junlin before, and it had sparked his interest.


 

The information gathered from Hanzhou continued to be transmitted to the imperial court. Each piece of evidence confirmed the truth of what the illegitimate daughter from the Xu family had said. With solid evidence, both the Xu and Cheng families were doomed.

"Has Your Majesty said that Official Xu isn't aware of what Madame Xu and Miss Xu Wanjun did?"

The flickering candlelight illuminated the beauty of the figure beneath, and Shang Junlin set down the stack of documents and gazed at Shen Yu's face for a moment.

"Why is Your Majesty looking at me like that?" Shen Yu reached for his own face. "Is there something on my face?"

"Every time I see Ah Yu, he captivates me," Shang Junlin raised his hand, "come over here."

Shen Yu walked over, having changed into sleeping attire. Even in simple clothing, his charisma was undiminished and accentuated the intricate details of his face.

Shang Junlin held him close, burying his face in the fragrance of Shen Yu's hair, the restlessness caused by political matters dissipating in an instant.

"As for the matter of Xu Wanjun committing acts of murder in Hanzhou, Official Xu was unaware. When the crimes of Madam Xu and her daughter were exposed, his astonishment didn't seem feigned. Further interrogation of Xu family members confirmed this."

"Such a significant matter, how could they have kept it hidden from Official Xu? With so many cases of murder, he couldn't have been completely oblivious to the rumors, could he?" Shen Yu found it rather incredulous.

"They were probably able to deceive Official Xu due to the fact that he trusted Madam Xu and the pressure from the Cheng family. None of the victims dared or were able to escalate the matter, especially since Official Xu was known to handle such cases. Officials who relied on Official Xu for their positions wouldn't have dared to speak out. They all believed that Official Xu was aware of the situation."

Since their immediate superior was aware, who would willingly stir up trouble by revealing the wrongdoings of their superior's daughter?

"Furthermore, they accepted benefits from the Cheng family. Due to the face they've saved, they merely turned a blind eye and kept their mouths shut. It's an easy thing to do."

Shen Yu discerned the hint of sarcasm in Shang Junlin's tone and nudged his face. "Now that the truth is revealed, those who chose to remain silent at the beginning have now become accomplices. I wonder if they regret their choices."

Regardless of what they might think, the matter had already occurred. Regret now wouldn't change the outcome. People had to take responsibility for their actions.

Hanzhou wasn't large like Subei. It was easy to change a few officials here and there without causing a major upheaval. With the truth exposed, those guilty would all be demoted from their positions, in accordance with the laws of Da Huan.

Shen Yu continued, "After the truth was uncovered, those who once chose to remain silent have become accessories to the crime. I wonder if they regret their decisions."

Hearing Shen Yu's analysis, Shang Junlin nodded in agreement.

They had almost made a grave mistake due to a momentary oversight.

"Given their control over Hanzhou, it's normal that information couldn't escape. The fact that no one in the local area dared to speak about these matters made it even harder for the news to spread beyond. If it weren't for the incident involving the legitimate daughter of the Xu family and Your Majesty's decision to send officials to Hanzhou to investigate, these matters might have remained hidden forever." Shen Yu leaned back against his seat.

In his previous life, Shen Yu hadn't heard of this matter at all. Even in the end, the Cheng family survived unscathed, and Official Xu remained in Hanzhou until he joined the rebellion led by King Yue. Only then did he leave Hanzhou for the capital.


 

Xu Linghua2Full name of Official Xu was genuinely surprised. He had always believed his obedient and well-behaved daughter, at most a bit willful, would never commit such terrible deeds. Back in prison, his mind was still reeling.

With the Xu family's mother and daughter punished, their spirits were dejected. Only the Xu family's illegitimate daughter radiated an unusual gleam in her eyes. She had been waiting for this day for a long time.

Time passed day by day, and the deeds of the Cheng family were gradually brought to light. Numerous individuals consumed by hatred yearned to tear them apart, to feast on their flesh.

The Cheng family members were like ants on a hot plate these days, scurrying around in anxious circles.

"Elder brother, has that person responded? What should we do now? Are we just going to wait passively, ending up with our family destroyed and lives lost?"

"It's been a couple of days. That person said their people would arrive soon. Once they're here, we can leave."

"Leave? Besides Hanzhou, where can we go?"

"We have only a few more days. That person said their people will be here soon. Once they arrive, we must leave before the official verdict is announced. Otherwise, we won't be able to escape. That person said someone would come to help us."

"But..." This course of action would turn them into fugitives.

At night, King Yue and his entourage secretly arrived near the Cheng family's estate. 

A servant knocked on the door of the Cheng family's patriarch, "Master, the guests have arrived."

The head of the Cheng family donned his robe and left his bed.

At the same time, the Hidden Dragon Guards stationed near the Cheng family's vicinity detected movements from the Cheng family.

 

8