Chapter 86: Gathering Information.
30 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 86: Gathering Information.

 

As time passes, Maggie and Kate, as promised, will secretly go to the dark territory to give Levi any information that he wants, and in return, he will give them M.O.D. core energy and other resources.

 

However, the guilds and associations notice their activity. How can two women who are not hunters kill M.O.D. and gather resources with just two people?

 

-

 

Plesa City, Starlight Guild

 

"How is your investigation?" A bearded middle-aged man asked.

 

"They enter the dark territory, and half an hour later they return with resources safely." A woman in her late thirties answered.

 

"They might be the middleman for an unknown hunter." It’s not that rare; there are hunters who don’t want to get involved with other humans because of personal reasons, but they still need human resources to survive in dangerous, dark territory.

 

"Should we make contact with that hunter?"

 

"No, that type of hunter had distrust for other humans; even if we made contact, he or she would ignore us. The best solution is to make friends with the middleman."

 

"Yes."

 

"How is the M.O.D. incident in the city?"

 

"From the investigation, it might be an escaped M.O.D. from a research institution."

 

"Investigate further." The monster of darkness that appears in the city is suspicious. Although the M.O.D. can move at night, the city has a way to detect them before they enter the city. Nevertheless, there are no reports from any research institution that the M.O.D. has escaped.

 

"Sir. Do you think it’s something to do with that mysterious organization?" A few years ago, the authorities found a hidden M.O.D. experiment lab. What they found out is that the organization is trying to make the M.O.D. stronger and more resistant to sunlight. They even experiment to fuse human and M.O.D. body parts rather than the core energy.

 

Because of that, all hunter guilds and organizations are ordered to report any suspicious lab and destroy it. Until today, they didn’t know the name of the mysterious organization.

 

Without proof, it was useless to think about it; continue the investigation."

 

-

 

Inside a secret chamber under the city.

 

Stupid, how can you let it escape?" The man in the wheelchair shouted.

 

"We can’t do anything about it; the M.O.D. mind control device is not working. The researchers and guards that tried to stop it are already dead."

 

"We need to capture it fast before the guild and association take action."

 

"But sir. The rank 1 M.O.D. after being modified is almost as strong as rank 2."

 

"If you can’t capture it, send people to destroy the M.O.D., and the mind control device must have the tracking system.

 

"The tracking device only works when we are close."

 

"I don’t care; find the escaped M.O.D. now!"

 

"Yes sir." The researcher quickly orders his man to go out to hunt.

 

"We are not yet ready for the revolution." The man in the wheelchair murmurs while gazing at the large glass tube. Inside, there is a grotesque human floating inside an unknown liquid that has been fused with various M.O.D. body parts.

 

M.O.D. core energy is hard to get and expensive. For a long time, humans tried to fuse other monsters of darkness's body parts but failed. The host becomes unstable, and the human rejects the M.O.D. body part, causing death.

 

-

 

Maggie and Kate's lives are wonderful; both of them don’t need to be concerned about money.

 

Few organizations try to rope them in. However, they refused. At first, Levi met them once a week; now he meets them once a month. Because they need time to gather information, especially confidential information.

 

Today is the day they are going to enter the dark territory to see Levi. Both of them are greedy and don’t tell Levi the truth; the price of the resources that he gives them is more than the price of the information that they gather.

 

What they don’t know Levi already knows that, but he is pretending not to know.

 

While Maggie and Kate are preparing. A burly leader who left them in the dark territory to flee is watching them. To comfort the families of those who died, the Darkness Hunter Association suspended the burly man. With nothing to do, he notices that the porter that he left behind is still alive and doing fine.

 

After some investigation, he found out that Maggie and Kate had sold resources from the dark territory. He wants to ask how but is ashamed to ask. In the end, he decides to follow them secretly.

 

Nevertheless, he is not the only person who has the same idea.

 

Maggie and Kate enter the dark territory with a large suitcase and trolley.

 

-

 

Dark territory, inside the cave

 

Levi is reading while surrounded by books and documents.

 

Most Twilight World countries are peaceful, and the M.O.D. rarely ventures out of the dark territory because of the sun. Normally, the M.O.D. that appears in human settlements escapes from the experiment lab or restaurant.

 

Some M.O.D. meat is delicious, and it is for the rich to show their wealth. They are even made into pets.

 

The last catastrophe happened hundreds of years ago when there was a solar eclipse that lasted for a year. The M.O.D. don’t die after getting hit by the sunlight; they come out of the dark territory in masses. Many cities get destroyed, and human deaths are uncountable.

 

However, since then, humans have already prepared for a similar thing to happen. It might take him decades or centuries to complete the mission to create the greatest hero that is recognized by all of the countries.

 

For his strength, it will take him a few more months to fully recover, like in the Acheron world. It looks like the voice will not give him the evolution path, and similar to other missions, he can’t convert corpses to death points. In the end, he can only rely on himself.

 

The M.O.D. near the border of dark territory can’t harm him since most of them are ranked 1 M.O.D.

 

Since Levi can’t go to the human city because of the sunlight. He is planning to venture into the depths of dark territory; maybe he can find a way to resist the sunlight.

 

Maggie and Kate, of them, don’t have the talent or perseverance to become heroes. Things are not going according to plan.

 

While Levi is thinking, a tiger-sized black ant enters the cave and makes a noise with its six mandibles.

 

"Kill the people that secretly follow them," Levi ordered.

 

The black ant nodded and left the cave. After that, many M.O.D. creatures moved into the dark forest.

 

Levi stands up and waves his hand; the books and documents disappear. Even if he can’t think of a solution now, he still has a lot of time. A three-meter-tall dark-fur primate goes out of the cave and disappears into the darkness.

 

-

 

In a bustling city, a chubby, hooded man in his twenties walks on the sidewalk, frowning. No one knows if, in his past life, he was an itinerant martial artist. Michael had recovered his past memories, but he was also not sure what was going on.

 

The last thing he remembers from his past life is that his brothers betrayed him because of the unknown nine-colored mushroom. Before he dies, he consumes the unknown nine-color mushroom, and his vision becomes dark.

 

When Michael wakes up, he realizes he is not in the same world.

 

Michael gazes at his chubby, soft hand that never holds a sword. From his memory in this life, he doesn’t like sports or do anything dangerous. This body parent treats him nicely, but most of the time they are not at home, working in another country.

 

This world had a dangerous place called the dark territory. Although he doesn’t have a problem with money, he wants to live like he did in his past life. He decided to train his body and become an M.O.D. hunter.

 

After walking for a while, he arrives at the gym, where the first thing he does is train his chubby body.

 

-

 

Umbra Guild. Training simulation room

 

Dozens of people are watching the fight on the large screen.

 

A beautiful woman with short blonde hair is fighting with a large hologram spider M.O.D. that has a pincer-like scorpion. Rank 2 M.O.D. required a group of stage 1 or 2 M.O.D. fusion hunters to kill the Rank 2 M.O.D.

 

The blonde-haired woman manages to evade all the attacks from the Rank 2 M.O.D.

 

"To think she is a stage 1 M.O.D. hunter."

 

"The simulation is weaker than the real one." One of the women said the M.O.D. is unpredictable and lives in dark territory. There is even a case in which the pincer spider, M.O.D., lays a trap in the dark woods and ambushes the hunter.

 

"Even if the simulation is weaker, its movement and speed are almost the same as the real one."

 

Nicole fights the M.O.D. calmly; she is one of the recruits who join the Umbra Guild. Because of her talent, the higher-ups approved stage 1 M.O.D. core energy fusion. However, other than talent, her father is a stage 2 M.O.D. hunter in the Umbra Guild.

 

Most hunters without money and opportunity can only become normal hunters. While others can become M.O.D. fusion hunters.

 

While they are discussing the spider, M.O.D. turns around and sprays a web from its spinnerets. A large white web falls above her. Most hunters get caught in the web, can’t escape, and can only wait to be devoured.

 

"Activate stage 1" Nicole's bracelet activates, a black tattoo-like pattern appears on her arms, and a dark energy-like blade covers her hand.

 

The web easily gets cut by the dark blade energy.

 

"What type of M.O.D. core did she fuse with?"

 

"Rank 2 dark mantis M.O.D."

 

The people who didn’t know had shocked faces. Most hunters fuse with the rank 1 M.O.D. core first. The higher the rank of the M.O.D. core, the lower the chance of the fusion succeeding.

 

In the end, Nicole managed to cut the spider's leg, leap on the spider's large head, and shoot it using an assault rifle.

 

[Mission complete]

 

Nicole comes out of the simulation capsule and smiles. "I win the bet; you promised me an unlimited dessert."

 

Wait, who said about unlimited dessert?" The man gets nervous because Nicole is known as a dessert demon.

 

"Fine, 25 desserts."

 

"I don’t have enough money; how about five?

 

"You are stingy, fine."

 

“Wait, wait, how about 10?”

 

 

4