Chapter 104 – The Deep Dark
401 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, first off, we need to watch around us at all points in time. The darkness down here is a detriment to our vision. If we can’t see the statues, they will be able to move.” Jeremy stated, holding the torch up high to illuminate the entrance to the cave.

The rest of the squad nodded along. Jermey was glad that they were functioning as a unit for once. In the past, they had done some small training excursions together as military training, but they never actually went that well. He hoped this not being a simple exercise, with their lives on the line, focused them up.

A shadow was cast over his form. Turning his head, Jeremy saw Em looming above him. Her glinting metallic form was obviously eager for adventure. She spoke awkwardly—a forced formality. “I can pierce the veil of darkness with my vision. Fear not, for I shall lead the way.”

Meriah drew both of her daggers and held them aloft. She was anxious and frightened but surprisingly focused. “Kooco and I will watch our flank.”

Meriah gave a slight nod, jostling Kooco, who was perched on her head. Kooco released a series of flittering chirps and gesticulations of agreement. Her normally wide and innocent eyes gleamed with intensity, unbefitting the small avian beastkin.

Kendri and Belgrate nodded and stood off to the side of the slowly forming formation. That left him the center, the most protected of them all.

Jeremy turned to face the pitch black, slowly descending pathway downwards, took a deep breath, and gestured for Em to lead the way.

Em grinned and slowly scuttled down the rocky minecart pathway into the depths.


It took a few minutes for them to reach the entrance to the forgotten cavern, but following the main mineshaft led them to the partially collapsed entrance. Surrounding the entrance were several groups of adventurers, each equipped and deathly serious on their watch.

When the adventurers spotted them, they stood at attention and raised their weapons. It was only for a second, as they realized their group wasn’t a threat, but they were ready. They all glared at Em, who was unfazed. One of them spoke quietly, his voice reverberating off the rocky walls of the underground. “I assume you’re the solders scheduled? Is the… Arachne part of your squad?”

Jeremy stepped forward and gave the man the military salute—fist over heart, knees and back straight, with a confident smile. “We are, and she was a former defender. She has willingly joined us. Tell me, what are we to expect down there?”

The man sent a quick glance toward Em, then immediately paled. Em slowly turned her head towards him as her slight grin turned into a frown. “You do not stand a chance against me, especially in this environment. I advise you not to attempt such foolishness again, but I understand your fear. You are forgiven, Lancer Mathew.”

Jeremy watched as the man, apparently named Mathew, stepped to the side of the crumbling entrance with his head down, eyes toward the ground. Failed Identify attempts weren’t commonplace, but they did happen. This wasn’t the first time Jeremy had seen this exact scenario take place. Some commoners occasionally took a quick peek at a noble, and those generally had more dire consequences.

There was a commonality among them all, though. Every single time, no matter who it was, it was always awkward in the aftermath.

Jeremy politely ignored the small confrontation and asked his question again. “What should we expect?”

Mathew apparently decided to pretend that Em didn’t exist, as he answered. “First, a sharp drop. We’ve affixed some rope for the descent, but… some of your members might be too heavy to use them. It’s a large, open cavern—well over a mile wide with dilapidated buildings made from stone. This is where you’ll find the most trouble. The statues are the main threat. They can and will attempt ambushes.”

The man stopped to make sure everyone was listening before continuing on. “There has been a single sighting of a large dog-like creature. That was only yesterday, so we cannot confirm the truth of that statement…

Other than that, there are some of the more common mine monsters lurking about. Young Carapces mainly—level five to ten. No older ones have been seen as of yet.

Watch your surroundings, and do not let that torch go out. The statues can move in the darkness.”

Jeremy took a deep breath, nodded his understanding, and turned to face Em. “Can you descend downward with us? Or is this going to be an issue?”

Em waved away his concerns with her metallic hand. “I will be fine. I shall lead the way.”

Without another word, Em scuttled forward and wormed her way through what, to her, was a tight, small entrance. Jeremy watched with awe as she slammed her legs deep within the stone and started to walk down the rocky exterior, disappearing out of view.

He followed after her, torch raised high, and looked over the edge. She crawled down the side of the sheer rock wall like a spider, her immense weight sending loose rubble falling downward in her descent. Quickly, he wrapped the nearby tied-off rope around himself and followed after her. “Let’s move.”

Everyone took a few minutes to make it down to solid ground except Kooco. She was actually the first to the bottom, beating out Em as she slowly floated downward with flapping wings.

Once everyone rejoined their formation, Jeremy equipped his shield and drew his sword as he asked Em what she saw. All he could make out was endless darkness past ten feet. Their torch was the only beacon of light in this deep, dark abyss. He could make out his party and the rough, rocky ground. Nothing else. The damp underground air on his exposed skin and earthy smell were prominent as he focused on his surroundings.

Em swiveled her head back and forth. “Almost exactly what Mathew described. Lots of stone buildings fallen and broken by time. I see no statues.”

Without turning away from peering into the darkness, she spoke to him. “Jeremy, what are our goals here? Are we to search for treasure? Or are we here to destroy?”

Jeremy warily peered around himself and his squad. “Em, I will be frank. We aren’t capable of destroying the statues. We might do well against some of the lesser monsters, but that’s not why were here. We’re here because as members of the military. It’s our duty to help. We’re relying on you to destroy some statues, and hopefully, find the cause and stop it.”

“But… I’ll take destroying some statues and going home as good enough. That’s our goal. Let’s aim for five?” He asked questionably while letting loose a shaky, nervous breath.

Em nodded and looked at the other squad members. “How long is our adventure? Days? Weeks?”

Jeremy stilled and slowly looked up at Em’s face. “Hours…”

Em let loose a ‘tsk’ as she turned back toward the front. “Let us be off then. I shall cherish these precious few hours.”

As they walked off, Jeremy spoke quietly. “Meriah, how are you doing? Doing okay?”

Meriah spoke without turning around, focused on their retreat. “I’m fine… I’m fine…”

Jeremy could hear the anxiety in her voice, her head jerking upon the sounds of shifting rubble caused by their walk. He would have to keep a solid eye on her. As soon as the fighting starts, she would be the one to leave the formation.

“Belgrate, how about you?” Jeremy asked.

Belgrate scanned the darkness and looked mildly excited. “I’m good. I might get a class if things go well.”

Jeremy left it at that. Belgrate’s ability was already stronger than most, enabling him to peirce most defenses with his fists. Armor meant nothing against his bare knuckles; with a class, he would become a formidable fighter.

He had nothing against the man, but his desire for magic was hampering his own growth. His talent was obviously for melee combat, but magic called to him like it did for so many others. Everyone wanted magic, but it wasn’t meant to be for most. He didn’t want to be the one to break it to him, but if he didn’t have magic by now, he probably wasn’t going to get it ever.

Last and obviously least, Jeremy called out to Kendri. “Kendri, how about you?”

Jeremy heard the sloshing of liquid and some gulps before he got a response. “I’ll be fine. Stop this nervous chattering.”

Begrudgingly, Kendri was correct. He was nervous, anxious, and afraid. Afraid that this would be their end. They were not suited to this task; without Em, they would likely die. He would never get to see his father again and never get to make up for his mistake.

Frankly, he didn’t want to be here. While spinning off a tale about how a noble joined the military was grand, he didn’t want this. He would do his best. Both for his reputation and for his kingdom, but he would much rather be back in Felispar.

Jermemy was knocked out of his thoughts as Em paused and raised her hand, signaling a stop. Her head was locked in one direction. She spoke ominously yet eagerly. “They’re here.”

Upon hearing her words, everyone readied themselves. Meriah handed out torches to everyone without words, and each one lit theirs upon Jeremy’s. They each threw their flaming torches out ahead of them, creating a circular ring of light around them.

Em didn’t throw her torch. She walked forward, holding it aloft and high-lighting her determined and eager grin. She walked forward around fifty feet, causing Jeremy to worry about being left behind when her torchlight revealed a broken stone building.

In the doorway stood a nearly seven-foot tall, slender statue with pointed ears. Its face was blank, eyes pupilless, and hair long and stuck in a state of flowing. It was female if statues had genders and looking toward them.

Before Jeremy could speak or inspect it further, Em slammed the statue to the ground and started wrapping threads around it. Within seconds, she was finished. She stood, yanked, and grunted while she sliced the statue into small chunks.

Em crushed the remaining bits underfoot, the grinding of stone and metal reverberating through the open cavern. “One down. Two to go.”

4