Chapter 16 – Consortium Testing.
601 1 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lee borrowed some paper, a quill, and some ink. Once he finished copying the elemental combination list in English, he began brainstorming possible spells to create. Magic is rare, but infinitely powerful. The fact someone with the right element can think up spells from nowhere seems a little absurd. First let’s brainstorm the elements that could be used to heal.

  1. Fire + Earth = Magma
  2. Fire + Water = Steam
  3. Fire + Air = Smoke
  4. Fire + Light = ???
  5. Fire + Dark = ???
  6. Earth + Water = Mud
  7. Earth + Air = Dust
  8. Earth + Light = ???
  9. Earth + Dark = ???
  10. Water + Air = Ice
  11. Water + Light = ???
  12. Water + Dark = Cold
  13. Air + Light = ???
  14. Air + Dark = Void
  15. Light + Dark = ???

Expert: Glacial, Explosion, Ash

Master: Cataclysm.

 

Lee searches the list and his eyes fall on Cataclysm. Yeah that doesn’t sound ominous at all… what would that even do? Shaking his head, he continues searching for potential healing avenues.

After searching and brainstorming, Lee came up with a few thoughts. Nature seemed like it could heal, he vaguely remembers people called druids in fantasy stories, but he thinks they healed mostly plants. He also didn’t know if nature was even a thing or how to get it. Another option is some kind of Holy element. The gods and goddesses give people healing spells, so perhaps it isn't too far to think about. I should probably figure out the whole gods are real thing soon. He thought about Water + Light, thinking maybe that would be something related, but he had nothing to even go off of. Earth + Light also seemed like a good option, that could easily be some type of Nature or Plant type of element.

Picking up his notes, he placed his used books on the finished trolley and made his way towards the librarian once more. Once there, he asked. “Do you have anywhere I can test out new spells? I wouldn’t want to make a mess at my own home.” The librarian nodded, “Indeed, go back to the main hall and take the second door to the left of this one, there are training rooms and a practice range.” Thanking him, Lee heads out to test some spells.

The training area had a lot more people than the library. Looking around he spotted people talking quietly in small groups. Someone in the group closest to him walked up to the range and took a spellcasting pose, after a moment they slumped their shoulders and returned to their group. Must have failed?

Walking to the far side trying to get some privacy, he eventually spotted a nice spot that was away from most of the others and fairly secluded. Well, let’s try to make a spell for each element so I get a feel for them. First, Lee has to think of a spell for each element. He currently only has two spells, Conjure Water for the Water element, and Earthen Strike for Earth. He has been using Conjure water occasionally to drink, he also used it a few times in the clinic to wash away puss or dirt, from some patients.

Let’s start with Air. Thinking about how Air was supposed to fit somehow to be a spell, he thought of some possibilities. Flying seems like an obvious choice but I highly doubt that’s just air, haven't seen anybody fly yet either…

After about two minutes Lee decides that he just can’t think of Air as anything but just AIr. Looking around he decides maybe he should have looked up basic spells before coming here. Shaking his head, he walks over to a small group of Elves talking animatedly. Approaching he hears snippets of their conversation. “...can’t be right!” “You know as much as I do that’s wrong!” “Stop seeing the outcomes before results!”” The small group of five elves seem to be in disagreements.

“Sorry if I'm interrupting, but may I ask a few questions?” The Elves glance over seemingly to be glad for interruption. The Elf closest to him turns around to face Lee to have a proper conversation. “Why yes, we need a break from…” He realizes he is talking to a human now. “Well then! This is much more interesting than the little discussion we were having! I have heard of your exploits at the clinic! What might you need?”

The Elf speaking to him is physically around Lee’s age, that being the younger twenties. The Elf is wearing a robe like most people around, his is a simple robe adorned with small geometric patterns wove in. He has green eyes that are very clear and curly short white hair.

Lee smiles, “I am new to magic as a whole and I am having trouble thinking of some basic spells to create for my first time. Do you know some basic spells or concepts for some of the basic elements?” Smiling and nodding, the Elf replies with gusto. “Why of course! Welcome to the wonders of magic my friend, let me tell you of some of the basics!”

Coughing slightly, the Elf prepares a small lecture. “Air as a single word is hard to describe, so most have trouble with it at the start, it has the feeling and sense of wind when using Mana Sense. The spell beginners usually make is a small gust of wind from their palms. They are quite strong and can easily put people off balance. You can do much more with Air than you can originally imagine.”

The Elf pauses to take a breath when a second elf from the group jumps in. “We should probably see which elements he has first! You probably gave him useless information!” The female Elf, seemingly still in a bad mood from their earlier disagreement, is of similar age to the first, also wearing the same type of robes. She has bright blue eyes and platinum hair. “Sorry for him, he’s always jumping ahead before thinking. What elements do you need help with?”

Lee smiles and says “He was correct about Air. I also need help with Light and Dark if possible.” A series of “oohs” and “ahhs” spring from the five elves. “What fantastic elements. From what I've heard about light, it is fairly difficult to latch onto at first. I don’t have it but I have seen others create small glowing orbs with it. For Dark, a lot of people get the writing spell as it’s much easier than carrying around these all the time.” She points to all the quills and small inkwells. ”I don’t know much about that one either I'm afraid.”

The original male Elf jumps in. “Do not be afraid to mess up creating basic spells. Experiment and think of the possibilities! The only risk at basic is losing some mana.” He smiles and encourages Lee to go and do some trial and error, gently pushing him back to his spot. Lee chuckles, “Okay, thank you for the information. I hope your disagreement gets solved.” The female elf speaks as Lee leaves. “Yes, I also hope this goblin sees reason.” She waves her hand in the direction of the male Elf.

Laughing Lee returns to his spot. Those were good people, it reminds me of my short stay in college.

Done with his reminiscing, Lee decides to take the advice and just attempt his ideas. Coming back to the idea of Air, he tries the short gust. Using Mana Sense and Mana Manipulation, Lee begins to try and feel through his cacophony of feeling in the mana, he feels on his skin a short breeze and seizes that feeling. Deciding for the gust of wind, he walks towards the range and attempts to force a large amount of Air mana out his palm at once.

Just like firing a rifle, the recoil caught Lee by surprise, the sound of whipping winds lasted for only a brief second and nothing down range seemed to be damaged. He didn’t see much of anything happen, he just felt it and saw faint traces of what he assumed to be, Air mana.

Spell Created!

Spell Name: Gale Burst.

Spell Description: Shoot forth a large gust of air, knocking back anything or anyone in its path. Less powerful underwater.

Cost: 30 MP + Variable.

Reading the spell and smiling, he decides to try another air spell. Using his mana skills, Lee grabs onto the feeling of Air and tries to create a curved wall of blowing winds in front of himself blowing upward and over, He didn’t want this spell to be a one and done like Gale Burst and Earthen Strike, he wanted this one to last for as long as he wanted. Securing his connected and willing the air to blow, he held the connection and let mana seep out of himself to keep the coming winds blowing.

Trying to keep the Mana Sense going while casting was difficult, but through his eyes he began to see faint traces of Air mana rapidly blowing upwards.

Spell Created!

Spell Name: Wall of Winds

Spell Description: A wall of wind appears and blows fiercely upwards. May deflect or slow down anything coming into contact with it.

Casting Time: Three seconds.

Cost: 20 MP Per second.

 

Quickly canceling the channel, with a large smile on his face, Lee reads through his two new spells. The Gale Burst sounds useful for getting things away from me, I don't know if it does damage or not though. Wall of winds seems very good, but it has a casting time? It takes three seconds to start up? I guess I wouldn’t be able to instantly create meteors to fall from the sky if I was some kind of super high level mage.

Happy with his two new spells Lee sees that his mana is about 75% full. Lets try light.

Lee spent about forty five minutes trying to find what light feels like before he sensed the faintest hint of radiance, locking onto that feeling he found that what the female Elf said was completely true. It was definitely a slippery feeling, how do you latch onto light? Spending another ten minutes Lee felt satisfied that he could firmly remember and hold the feeling. Willing the Light mana into a small ball, he tried to create a glowing orb. Slowly a small globe of light the size of a softball rotated in the air above his palm. Moving his palm, the orb stayed there with no effort of his own.

Spell Created!

Spell Name: Orb of Light.

Spell Description: A small globe of light appears around you, giving vision to the surroundings. May follow the user.

Duration: Ten Minutes. Variable.

Cost: 25 MP + Variable.

Reading the spell, Lee decided to test what ‘variable’ meant. Casting Orb of Light once more, he felt an option to add more mana. Lee added another twenty five mana and waited. Ten minutes later the first light winked out of existence. Another ten minutes later the second did as well. I guess I can spend more mana to increase the effects? Earthen Strike and Gale Burst have variables. What does that do? Increase the size and strength? Lee checks his new status page.

Name: Lee Barnes

Titles: None

Level:4 XP: 440/800

HP:135/135 MP:90/215

Stats:

Strength: 7

Dexterity: 8

Constitution: 10

Wisdom: 13

Intelligence: 17

Luck: 10

Unused Points: 0

SkillsIdentify, Mana Sense, Stealth, Mana Manipulation,

Spells: Conjure Water, Earthen Strike, Gale burst, Wall of Winds,

Orb of Light,

Abilities: Language Comprehension, Healer’s Touch, Hidden Cache.

With his mana regenerating at one a minute, Lee has a little bit of time before he can truly test more. Deciding to create that nifty writing Dark spell before he leaves, he grabs some paper and begins his search of his mana.

Around five minutes pass and he senses the feeling of Dark. Just like the feeling of naturalness of base mana and the radiance of light mana, the feeling of darkness was more foreign than Lee could ever anticipate. Pushing a faint amount of the darkness out of his fingertip he tried to write his name onto the paper.

Spell Created!

Spell Name: Darken.

Spell Description: By using Dark mana, you may darken something you touch. The harder the material, the harder it is to darken.

Cost: 1MP per second.

Satisfied with his new spells, he prepares to leave the library in search of some desperately needed food.

34