Chapter 18 – Higher Powers.
619 0 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took a few minutes for Lee to calm down. Slowly but surely he stood, wiped his eyes, kept his smile, and walked back out of the alley. On his way back home, Lee thought of the future. If I can create healing spells and make spell scrolls to teach them to others, the quality of life around the world is going to change massively.

Arriving at his home, he checks for another letter just in-case… Finding nothing, Lee prepares to sleep, moving the coins into his Hidden Cache again and placing the furs around his bed in more comfortable positions Slowly he closes his eyes, still with a small smile. Today wasn’t so bad after all.

Waking in the morning, Lee conjures some water to drink and decides that if he’s going to be walking around healing and making the quality of life better all around, that he needs to take care of himself better as well. Okay, get breakfast, get food for the house, pick up clothes from Sarum, get an actual wardrobe, buy some other small things for the house, and check in with the clinic to see if I still work there. We will see if that goes to plan or not.

Opening the door and heading outside, Lee locks up then starts to find some breakfast. Only having taken a few minutes after leaving the housing tunnel, Lee stumbles upon a nice bakery. Currently there are people going in and out at a decent rate. Must be popular. Heading that way as well, he looks at the bakery. The building stands between two other larger buildings, it’s small and quaint, with a smell of freshly cooked bread and pastries. The door is held open with a stopper and the warm inviting light peeks out through the opening.

Entering, Lee waits in a short line examining their displays while he does so. Fresh loaves of bread and pastries filled with an assortment of fruit seems to be the usual affair. The line moves quickly and eventually, it’s Lee’s turn. “I would like one of these” Lee point’s to a nice strawberry strudel pastry, “As well as a loaf of sweetbread and two loaves of regular bread.” The baker is so focused on her job that she doesn’t even realize Lee is a human. “That will be twelve coppers.” Lee pays the baker and stores his loaves of bread.

Eating the pastry on his way out, he decides that he will get breakfast here every single day. The strawberry strudel is one of the best things Lee has ever had. The strudel is the perfect amount of sweet, with nice slices of strawberry stuffed between flaky layers of pastry. The golden brown flaky layers are coated in a nice sprinkle of powdered sugar. I wonder where they even get these ingredients. I haven't seen a farm yet.

Along his path towards the clinic, Lee stops into a small general store. Browsing the store for things that would be good for the house, he picks up a few bowls, some candles, an extra blanket, as well as a nice handheld mirror.

Picking up the mirror Lee looks into it. Over the past week Lee’s hair has begun to grow back. It only amounts to a buzzcut for now, but he’s finally getting hair again. The stubble on his chin gives him a five-o’clock shadow look. Lee’s most excited about finally having eyebrows again. Smiling, he buys the small amount of objects for one silver twelve copper. The mirror had been almost silver by itself.

Arriving at the clinic, Lee skips the receptionist and heads for Anya’s office. Knocking on the door, *knock* he waits for a moment. “Come in.” Anya replies. Opening the door, Lee finds Anya filling some paperwork. “So, do I still work here? And if so, what days am i even supposed to work.”

Anya, looking up from her paperwork, has an awkward look on her face. “Hello Lee. Well, that’s kind of up to you. We don’t have people lining up into the streets anymore, and everybody who needed healing got it. So if you want you can work on injuries and things like that, but we have enough people doing that already…” So they don’t actually ‘need’ me, but they can’t not have me because of what I've done. “I understand, I will heal the in-patients whenever I stop by. Also you’re wrong about everyone who needed healing having gotten it. I got a letter delivered to my home about a woman with cancer. I had to run over last night and heal her. If you have a list of patients with cancer, send it to my house and I will go to their homes and heal them for free. Also, set me up for people coming to my house if they have an emergency. They will pay me what they can, if they can’t pay anything that is fine.”

Anya stares at Lee with a look of bewilderment. “You can fucking heal cancer?” She stands and goes to one of the many bookshelves and grabs a large tome. Searching through the large tome, Anya stops once she finds what she wants. “There are thirteen people with cancer currently. Twelve now if you healed one already. What was her name?”

Lee is a little embarrassed. “I don’t know, her daughter named Nymie, wrote me a letter for help. I healed them and left immediately.” Looking through the tome, Anya nods once and fills in some information with her quill. “Kaylith Springs was her name.” Taking a piece of paper and transferring the names and information over, Anya hands the list of cancer patients to Lee, as he grabs it and tries to take it Anya doesn’t let it go. “This is going to place a larger target on your back, I hope you know that.” Lee nods and Anya lets go of the paper. “I will notify them of your coming, none of them are near death’s door, so don’t rush yourself into a sick bed yourself.” Lee leaves.

Lee quickly healed the two in-patients and then left the clinic. He makes his way to where Sarum’s clothing store is located and enters. Walking up to the counter, he waits a moment. After thirty seconds of waiting he rings the small bell on the counter. Sarum walks through the draping doorway with a smile. “Welcome, what can I do…” She takes in Lee's appearance. “Oh, the Human! I have heard many things about you these past few days. Let me grab your clothes.” She hurries back and presumably grabs Lee’s outfit that Neia had paid for.

Sarum comes back with clothes in the exact same style he currently has, but made to fit him. “There you go, no more tripping over your own feet. May I help you with anything else today?” Lee nods. “Actually, I think there is, can you make me more sets of clothes, say, two more? Also I am looking to where I can perhaps buy a high quality robe, similar to those from the Consortium of Magical Scholars.”

Sarum looks happy at more business. “The sets of clothes I can do easily enough, the robes of the scholars are meant to be worn by the scholars. I can’t give you one of their robes, but I can most definitely make you a robe in general. Would you have any requests for design?” Lee thinks for a moment. “Yes, I would like it to be white, with silver seams. I would like for it to have a hood as well. I want very nice quality materials for this robe.”

Lee can almost see the money signs appearing in her eyes. “Would you like for me to get it enchanted? I think I can get a friend to do it. For a price.” Now Lee is interested. “Enchanted? What do you mean?” Sarum, now with the hook sinked in, begins to reel. “By enchanted I mean adding magical effects! Self cleaning, extra durability, even self repair! All for the low low price of five gold coins! Imagine how wonderful the robe would be!”

Lee grabs his clothes and begins to walk away. Sarum basically screams. “WAIT! Three gold for the robe and enchantments!” Smiling, Lee turns around and hands over most of his money. Greedy indeed, thank you Neia. “Pleasure doing business with you, when will it be ready?" Staring at the gold coins with eyes bulging out, she waves him away, “I’ll send it to your home when its done.” She grabs the gold coins and stuffs them into a pouch at her side so fast that they basically teleport. Lee nods and leaves the store.

Well then, todays been going well so far. Need to buy some ingredients for home, then I'll probably start on the cancer patients.

Finding ingredients for his house was easily done, the multitude of produce and butcher stalls solved his problem easily. He even managed to buy some milk. Okay, they most definitely have a farm of some sort somewhere. After buying and putting all of his purchases away in his Hidden Cache. She started to look through the list and addresses of the cancer patients.

Lee realized that he had no clue what the names of the housing tunnels were. The addresses were names of tunnels, then house numbers. One of the patients apparently lived up the tree, in a building carved into the side.

While pondering and walking towards one of the tunnels to check if he could figure out which one it was, he noticed a very large cathedral-like stone building carved into the wall next to it. It had stained glass, a new sight to Lee, and very large double doors with multiple figures carved into it. People seemed to come and go from the building freely. Curiosity peaked, he went to investigate.

Walking up the steps to the cathedral-like building. Lee figured that this must be a church or something similar. When he reached the doors he opened them and entered.

Lee was amazed by the sight that greeted him, the inside of the church was one of the most beautiful buildings he had ever seen. The inside consisted of a main chamber and twelve smaller chambers around the room. The main chamber was fairly basic and had a few pews with some people in them listening to a priest. The side chambers on the other hand, were simply amazing. Each of the twelve small chambers had a completely different aesthetic, they sharply contrasted against one another and each of them were so well done with their artwork, that Lee could tell what they represented at just a glance. He started to walk around and inspect them in detail.

Starting from the leftmost chamber’s entry, it had smooth marble blocks making up the walls, with glowing purple wood lining and detailing the corners of each slab of marble. The doorway into the small chamber had the six basic elements dividing the door into six sections, each with the color of their elements. The first word that came to mind was magic.

The second small chamber was very different from the first, the wall connecting the chambers ended abruptly and the wall changed as it transitioned to the new chambers territory. The wall this time was not made out of stone or marble at all, it was wooden planks. The chamber had whole logs making the beams and pillars used for framing, making the exterior look like a wooden cabin. The rustic looking plank and log home wasn’t what made the chamber special. It was the grain of the planks. The grain of the planks were connecting and making a detailed map, roads and rivers, mountains and valleys. All drawn with the simplicity of the grain of wood on the side of the cabin. The word that hit Lee was the word travel.

The third chamber, again, with another abrupt divide, was made of dark metal sheets, riveted in place. The bottom of the wall, where the wall connects to the ground of the main chamber, changed colors from dark to an orange glow. It looked like it had been heated. The door on the other hand, while large and made of dark metal, was engraved with pictures of items, an ingot, a weapon, an armor piece, a glass vial, a spool of thread, pieces of leather, a bubbling beaker, all kinds of materials and items were engraved into the door itself. The word Lee thought was crafting.

The fourth was much simpler, and easy to guess. The chamber walls weren’t walls at all, but many trees that grew so closely together that they formed one. The roof was just the combined canopies of the grown trees, the doorway was a large naturally formed knotted hole. This was nature if Lee had anything to say about it.

The fifth chamber was something Lee’s world was very familiar with. The chambers outside was simple stone blocks stacked together to what Lee would assume a castle wall would look like. Images near the top of the wall showed drawn and painted defenders attacking downwards. The bottom of the wall had figures shooting arrows and dragging ladders. Each side of the door was filled with an army attacking towards the other side. When the door opens the armies separate from one another. This was war.

The sixth chamber was almost the polar opposite of war. The stark castle walls transitioned into a nice marble, carved into the marble were patterns of hearts, the hearts traveled across the wall in a wave, almost like flower petals hit by a gust of wind. There were pink, red, and white ribbons hanging down and the doorway was a very well done stained glass door, depicting a woman and a man in a loving embrace. The word was love.

Out of all the chambers, number seven was the chamber that caused a tad amount of concern. Black rotten wood made up the façade of the building, dark green plants growing along the walls. The door itself was a solid black ebony type wood, and carved into the door was a depiction of a solid white skull. Lining the sides of the ebony door were two scythes, they created a door frame. This building screamed death.

After the off-putting chamber that depicted death, came a chamber that was again, a stark contrast to the others. The walls of chamber eight appeared to be bookshelves, with actual books placed into them to create a wall. The doorway was the shape of an open book. The book door had actual words carved into it, the door read “The search for knowledge is never ending, and the reward for its pursuit is infinite.” Obviously a chamber of knowledge.

The ninth chamber was something that Lee found particularly beautiful. The chamber had a light blue wood wall that had attached shells. Between the eye-catching shells were carvings as well as paintings of sea creatures and plants. The doorway looked to be a normal wooden door, with crashing waves carved into it. This was a very beautiful chamber of either oceans or seas. Lee wasn’t one hundred percent sure.

The tenth chamber was just as eye-catching, simple bright orange and yellow walls with no distinguishing features. The door itself was fairly basic as well. What truly gave away this chamber was above the door. Above the door was a very large stained glass depiction of the sun, light shining through the other side marked a sun on the ground in front of the whole chamber. Lee liked the simplicity of the sun chamber.

The eleventh chamber was the sister of the sun, Pale whites and silver wooden planks made up the wall, with a dark blue wooden trim. Just like the sun chamber, this one had a fairly similar design. A simple wooden door with a large stained glass depiction of the moon above it. There was no light shining through the stained glass yet. Perhaps when it is night time the sun would go out and the moon would shine instead? Lee wondered, the chamber was a chamber of the moon.

The last and final chamber was unique, in that Lee actually didn’t know what it represented. It was very basic, it was basically a simple stone building from outside. It even had colored shingles. The only thing different was the door. The door had a simple carving of a laughing man. The weird thing about this is that you could almost see the man actually laughing, almost like an illusion. Lee didn’t know what this one represented.

After viewing the breathtaking chambers, he realized that the people who were in the pews were standing and starting to leave. Lee noticed the priest staring at him with a smile, waving him over. Figuring this was as good a time as any to learn about the gods and goddesses, he walked over to the priest.

“Welcome Lee, how did you like the chambers of the gods?” The elf priest in his mid thirties asked. Lee raised an eyebrow “You know my name?” The priest smiled and nodded. “I have been asked to give you some messages. It appears a few of the higher powers wish to speak with you. They asked me to tell you to enter their chambers and speak with them.”

WHAT?!

31