Chapter 31 – Return and decision.
478 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Traveling at night would have been a fantastic sight if Lee didn’t have to worry about monsters. The large moon bathing it in its glow only faintly illuminated the forest. The purple leaves and grass seem to turn a lighter shade, giving the dark forest an enchanted, lightened tone.

Having a slight amount of trouble seeing in the dark forest, Lee asks Neia about using his Orb of Light. Without pausing in her pursuit, Neia immediately shuts down the idea. “The light will help you see, but will also be a beacon in this darkness to all monsters who see it.”

Ruven, who is typically more aware of his surroundings than either Lee or Neia, is intensely focused and on the lookout for incoming threats—scanning the surrounding trees and canopies constantly, without a lapse in his vigil.

As time passes, Lee understands what Neia and Ruven must feel. If my home were suddenly under threat of more monsters than usual, without warning, I would also try to warn others as soon as possible. I would also probably try and seek the cause and stop it.

Lee, still following Neia, decides then and there that he needs to really try and learn more about the world he is in. He hasn’t looked up what types of monsters are common; he just took Neia and Ruven’s word. He hasn’t looked up the history about anywhere; he doesn’t even know the names of many other places to try to look into the history of. He has no fundamental survival skills, having been relying on Neia and Ruven, and he set his goal to be something that he currently can’t achieve by himself.

Looking at Neia back, Lee contemplates how the elves have been teaching him. What if I never found them in this forest? That answer only took but a moment to find an answer too. I would be dead. Still staring into Neia’s back as she slows slightly to check the forest floor, Lee walks forward and asks a question. “Will you teach me tracking?”

Pausing and looking over her shoulder, Neia examines Lee with her glowing green eyes. After a few seconds, Neia nods, motions toward the ground, and explains what she is looking for and why.

Having never been much of an outdoorsman, Lee was vastly underestimating what it took to track and was surprised by how much information could be gleaned from a footprint or broken branch. Simply by finding a footprint, which in and of itself was a difficult prospect, having to always be on the lookout for them, told Neia which direction the creature was going, what type of creature she could expect, the size of the creature, and how long ago the creature was here.

After explaining why and how she was doing specific things and by having Lee attempt to replicate her actions and motives, Lee gained a new skill.

Skill Gained!

Skill Name: Tracking

Skill Description: This skill grants the user an understanding of the subtle nuances found within footprints and other tracking signs. Able to decipher the hidden information left behind, the user can discern valuable insights about their target, such as their direction, speed, and size. The higher your wisdom, the more pronounced the effects.

Skill Enhanced!

Skill Name: Stealth.

Skill Description: Stealth is a skill that allows you to avoid detection and move silently more easily. The higher your Dexterity, the more powerful the effects.

Enhancement: Innately leaves behind less of a trace, lowering the effects of tracking.

Lee raises an eyebrow in surprise, then turns towards Neia. “I got the tracking skill. IT also enhanced my stealth. I didn’t even know enhancing skills was a thing that was possible.” Neia smiles slightly and flips her braid over her shoulder to her front while standing. “Congratulations, you’re a natural. Learning Tracking took me a few days.” Then, starting towards Neldam once more, Neia leads the group forward while continuing the conversation. “Enhancement sometimes happens when you have complementary skills, but don’t expect it to happen often.”

While traveling and testing the new effects of his new skill, Lee thought about his class quests, specifically the Path of the Healer.

Path of the Healer. 1/5

Heal a total of Five hundred Health.

32/500.

There’s a very easy way to complete this class quest… but I don’t think it’s something I should even do. Hurting himself to heal it back over and over again did not seem ethical, but it did seem like it would be very effective.

Shaking his head and sighing, Lee knew that he wouldn’t do it. You couldn’t be a fucking healer and support self-harm. That’s hypocrisy at a ridiculously high level, only in some sort of life-or-death situation. Lee thinks while remembering a movie in which someone had to chop off their foot to escape death.

More hours passed by, and the group eventually reached the entrance to Neldam.

Neia, with a look of severity, strides toward one of the entrance guards. The guard, a tall Elf with slick form sitting leather armor, righted his posture, seemingly realizing who Neia was. “We have a problem; a group of over twenty goblins and two Hobs was less than a day away. Notify the council immediately.” The male guard nods once and enters Neldam in haste.

Lee takes his pocket watch out of his Hidden Cache and checks the time, seeing that it’s roughly 3 AM. Lee looks toward Neia and Ruven and says. “Thank you for coming out with me to help me reach level five. If you ever need anything from me, don’t be afraid to ask. Do you need me for anything involving this goblin situation? Or can I go to sleep?”

Neia swaps her look of severity for one of embarrassment. “I forgot that you need much more sleep than us. No, Ruven and I can handle it from here. Go home and rest.” Ruven smiles and reaches out, grasping Lee’s arm with his own, “Congratulations. If you ever need anything, you can probably find me at Helroc’s Arrowworks, my father’s store.” Lee smiles. “If you need me, I’ll be at home, the clinic, or at the consortium teaching. You both should stop by the lecture for healing. Even for someone without magic, it will be helpful; I will be teaching useful information that doesn’t include magic. I think it’s about time I teach you both something instead of you teaching me.” Neia and Ruven nod and wave as they go their separate ways after entering Neldam.

Lee begins his return home and quickly realizes he is getting more glances and stares than his previous, albeit already high amount. Quickly searching his person for anything out of place that might be causing the sudden influx of attention and finding nothing, he suddenly remembers he has an extra title. Fucking hell. Hiding his Miracle Worker title with his Hidden Miracle skill, he continues on his path home, noticing the disappearing heightened sense of attention. I hope that rumor doesn’t spread…

Walking by his favorite breakfast bakery, Lee restocks on his bread and strudels, losing himself some of the copper he earned from his share of the goblins’ loot.

Finally returning home, Lee unlocks the door and notices a letter on the floor, lacking anything but ‘From Anya Stoli.” Then, picking the letter up and moving toward his bed, he opens and reads as he yawns from sleep deprivation.

Lee,

We have finished gathering the materials for creating the spellbook. Please come to the clinic to collect it when you return from your trip.

The Consortium of Magical Scholars provided enough materials to increase the spellbook’s page number. The spellbook may hold a total of eight spells instead of the normal of five.

Thank you for being able to teach and spread your knowledge of healing to all those willing.

Anya Stoli.

Storing the letter into his Hidden Cache, Lee prepares to sleep, planning to visit the clinic tomorrow when he awakens.

Lee slowly awakens, groggy from barely getting his eight hours. Checking his pocket watch, Lee sees that it’s 11:30 AM. Getting up and getting ready for the day, Lee grabs a strawberry strudel from his storage and starts eating his breakfast. While eating, Lee ponders about what spell to make to finish his Path of the Spellcaster class quest.

I could make a personal movement spell. The buff I made isn’t too great for personal use. I could make a different offensive spell; the buffs from my class really improved my ability to launch spells repeatedly. If I make another Glacial spell, the 50% boost to power and reduction in mana cost will make using experts more feasible… What about synthesizing a spell?

Quickly, Lee checks his Arcane Synthesis cooldown.

Cooldown: 0:00:00

New element or a brand new spell?

Lee contemplates which path he should take, spell or element. With a week-long cooldown, it’s not the most important choice he’s had to make, but he is going to have to test synthesizing spells sooner or later.

26