Chapter 55 – Quest Complete.
367 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As he walked down the stone streets of Neldam, he took in the wondrous colorful view of the city. From the colored tiles, to the pulsing mana paths of the great Garbola, all of it was new.

He had never walked in this city before. He had never interacted with its people, as they would never want to interact with him.

He strolled down the street, passing a bakery that emitted wonderful smells of freshly baked bread and sounds of laughter from within. He observed the Dark Elves along the street he walked past, most just strolling by, going about their day.

He didn’t know exactly where in this wonderous city he was supposed to be going, just that he had a building he was supposed to find. He did what was asked of him, and it was time to collect his reward. The faint ‘knowing’ of where it was, was all he had as he made his way to his destination.

Oh, how he wished he could live amongst people. He knew their hardships, maybe a bit more than they themselves knew. He just wanted a chance. A chance to show someone, anyone, what he was and how everything would, or perhaps could, be okay.

But he had tried that before—multiple times, in fact. It never worked out well for either party involved. He had killed more people than this entire city could hold, and he was neither happy nor sad about that fact. He just wished they could see his side of the story.

He was walking calmly down the streets, nodding to passersby, going toward his vague destination when he, and everybody else, stopped and heard the tragic news.

“Nitis Sindris city alert. An unknown high-level monster has passed the barricades. Shapeshift/illusion spells or artifacts. Most recent known description: Dark Elf, white hair in a top knot, ornate spear, un-darkened leather armor. Highest Level Alert. Stay in your homes or the closest building available.”

The people near her stirred, glancing about with shock, horror, and fear. They had just seen that man! That… monster…

She, of course, played the part. She turned to and fro, in shock and fear, looking for that same man, with that very same description, who was just here!

People began hurrying to their homes or, in some cases, the nearest buildings. One foolish individual even grabbed a weapon and exited the shop they were in, preparing to guard the entrance from this terrible, monstrous intruder.

She began speed walking down the street, fear and weariness shown to all who looked. Her long, flowing white hair trailed behind her as her yellow eyes scanned around for the intruder in their midst.

A nearby Elf whisper-shouted at her as she sped by the door of their building. At first glance, some kind of restaurant. She peered past the Elf who beckoned her, and saw a place she wished she could experience. 

“Miss! Come in! We have room! It could be anywhere!”

She paused and responded with an uncertain and shaky voice.

“I’ll be okay. I’m almost to my destination anyways.”

He paused and fought with his emotions, obviously aware of the threat and leaving a woman alone, then seemingly came to his decision.

“Well, hurry up! Be safe!”

She nodded and continued on, hearing the closing of the door and the wooded window shutters. That man was kind but only kind to the current her. She knew it deep down. 

The streets were near empty now, and this was going to complicate matters.

She hurried along and made it a few more blocks until her Aura Sense picked up on a very strong presence moving in her direction.

She sighed, moved to a nearby alleyway, and looked around at the objects, then settled into a form similar to her most familiar—a simple crate.

Oh, how it hated being an inanimate object. It was one for so, so long… The freedom of movement would never be lost on it. It would treasure the feeling for the rest of the days to come—one of its objectives it had completed long ago.

The strong aura slowed around its position.

It mentally sighed. The strong, familiar aura of Nitis Sindris was onto it somehow. This could have been so easy. Why did everything always have to be so damn difficult! It was here in peace! Well… mostly.

It watched through its Aura Sense as Nitis slowed in his rapid speed. He cautiously turned to face the dark alleyway and prepared himself.

It repeated in his head. It will be worth It. It will be worth it. It will be worth it.

It kept watching Nitis as he slowly made his way into the dark alleyway, filled with boxes and crates of nearby stores goods. He drew ever closer.

Itwillbeworthititwillbeworthititwillbeworthit….

It heard Nitis speak, his voice full of confidence but also with a hint of confusion.

“I know you’re here…”

It mentally sighed again.

How should it go about this? Hmm… Aha! Let’s hit him with the classic! The Greed Seeker!

It used its skill, Deep Wanting on Nitis, and saw something… he didn't want to do…

The odds of this backfiring are SUPER high… Oh well…

It decided to answer before employing the finishing touches of the Greed Seeker plan. Her sultry feminine voice echoed out around the alleyways.

“I am here in good faith. HAH. Sorry, sorry, not the time for that joke.”

She watched as Nitis, who was formerly ready for a fight to the death, turned as white a sheet and stood stock still.

From crouched behind the crate she was next to, she walked forward into the open. She didn’t really want to play the Greed Seeker this way, but ultimately, it was up to him.

She watched as Nitis slowly took in her new form. Her bright glowing blue eyes were dazzling, her long silver braid flowed down her back all the way down to her calves, and her dark blue illustrious robes were split down the center, revealing a very short, tight-fitting black leather jacket that revealed her most of her midriff. The long tight-fitting black leather pants, which showcased her long legs, were also eye-catching. She even had black high heels, which clacked along the stone alleyway as she made her entrance.

So far, so good. No sudden moves. She thought.

She waited for Nitis to make a move or say something… she waited quite a while, actually. It must have been, like, 10 seconds of awkward silence...

“Are you going to say something, dear?”

Nitis, wide-eyed and now fearful, took a step back and spoke in a fearful whisper.

“What manner of creature are you? How did you… No, Why are you here? What is your goal?”

Damn, I almost got him. At least it's not full-on fighting yet.

She knew what she looked like and knew who she was to him, but this form… It was actually kinda nice! Good aesthetics, comfy, and well-balanced! Might add this one to the favorites.

“I am here on business of my own. I can promise you I will not harm anybody here. You can clearly see that I have not already, yes? Just let me get to my destination, and I will be gone. You can go back and watch over our daughter. That would be what I would have wanted, I hope.”

And mistakes were made. She played her hand a little too far from the chest. Nitis screamed back with furious indignation.

“OUR!? YOU ARE NOT NILTHALLIA! I KNOW IT IS SO!”

She placed her hands outward in a placating gesture.

“Okay! Okay! I know that, and you know that! Let me just be on my way…”

She tried to edge past Nitis calmly with a non-aggressive stance, hands splayed outwards. People typically like this stance, not that it made her any less dangerous if it came to blows.

She stopped as she felt the static electricity in the air. The faint burning of ozone ramping up in the surroundings. She was only mere inches from Nitis when he said.

“And why should I let you go?”

She instantly replied with a teasing but condescending tone.

“Because I don’t want to massacre your entire beautiful city, and we could both leave happy and whole?”

Nitis piercing glare stared into her unflinching and playful eyes.

You’ve been the target of a failed Identify attempt!

She didn’t even flinch as Nitis’ eyes widened in shock. She shook her head as if disappointed.

“Nitis, Nitis, Nitis. You know that’s rude to even one such as I, do you not? Let me go. You can even follow me if you wish. Take in my form a bit longer and stuff. I know you want to.” She winked.

She started to edge around Nitis slowly, and he turned to watch her—eyes piercing and ready to act.

“Give your word to the Oathkeeper that you will not harm a soul within this city, and I will watch you leave.” Nitis bluntly stated.

Tapping her forefinger on her lips, she pretended to think for a moment before chirpily saying. “Deal.”

Fingers and thumbs together and at her forehead? I think that’s how they did it.

“I give you my word that I will not harm a single person in this city unless in self defense, in which case this is all null and void. I will leave peacefully without even taking or stealing anything. I won't even mess with that nifty leyline you have underneath this city.”

Nitis jerked as the light of the Oathkeeper revealed itself. She could see that he was in sheer disbelief. Mock angry, and exasperated, she said.

“What?! Do you think I wouldn’t keep my word? Let us be off!”

Calmly striding forth out of the alleyway with a smile and curiously taking in the sights of the city, she made her way forth to her destination. She, of course, kept Nitis in mind, not that she couldn’t see in all directions anyways with her senses. He warily followed after her.

She bent over and gazed at the cobblestoned street and even walked over to a broken colorful tile that fell off a nearby building to inspect it. She was curious, and this was a once in a lifetime, not her life, but that's the saying, experience! Nitis just had to ruin it by asking questions when it should be her asking them all.

“What manner of creature or monster are you?”

She scoffed and put down the tile exactly where it fell from the rooftop.

“What a rude question. I don’t want to answer. Do you people also use metal coins for currency? I thought maybe it would be different here.”

Obviously, she could tell that Nitis was wary and ready to fight to the death, but he was also perplexed. He didn’t answer her question and instead asked another.

“Do you have a name? I doubt Jud is your actual name.”

The blankest stare in the world, almost as if she was looking at a complete idiot, was the look she gave Nitis in return for that question. “Duh. Every… PERSON!” She screamed. “Has a name.”

As she was turning to continue her walk, she paused as she felt a large magical eruption from outside. Also, the death of the Troll that she had convinced had a chance at killing everyone here had died. Its aura was weak, but she still felt it wink out from this distance.

“Seems like your daughter can pack a punch. I’m sure you will be happy to know she killed that dumb Troll.”

Nitis’ emotion flickered for only a second as she turned her back to him, but she still saw it nonetheless. She felt she was growing closer to where she was supposed to be.

“I feel like we are approaching my destination. Ask your questions with haste young man.”

She had a twisted smile as she saw Nitis jerk from being called ‘young man.’

“What was your… mission here?”

Instantly she replied, losing her aloofness as she began walking up the steps of the cathedral.

“None of your business. It was nothing with anything of your concern. One last question, for this question, I will answer to the best of my ability, make it a good one. We are here.”

She turned to face him at the doors of the cathedral. She waited while he thought because this could have been much more troublesome if he had some kind of fatalistic ego to try and fight her. She was somewhat glad she finished her task without any complications.

“Is there any danger coming toward Neldam? Anything that you know of because of your… nature?”

Disappointed with his question, she sighed, but she did promise him to answer to the best of her abilities.

“No danger besides the leyline, which I suppose you’re well aware of. No grand machinations of any kind that I am aware of—at least… no dangerous ones.”

Nitis stared at her in alarm, but she didn’t care any longer. She turned and opened the beautiful stone double doors leading into the cathedral.

“This is where we part ways. Goodbye. We are not all monsters, remember that.”

She closed the doors in his face as another elf approached and stood at her side with a small smile, a priest.

“He has been waiting for you.”

She turned and inspected the room, seeing all the fantastical works depicting some of the gods and goddesses. She wasn’t impressed. She quirked her eyebrow and looked in askance at the priest.

“Only the twelve? Kind of short-sighted don't you think?”

The priest was infallible, not even a twitch in his small smile. He waved his hand towards one of the doors as it swung open by itself.

Finally, her journey is done! She made it! She did it! Hooray! She skipped to the open doorway of a log cabin. She slowed in her approach, noting the grain of the wood. It made a brilliant depiction of roads, maps, rivers, and valleys, all without color, simply with the grain. She entered the room as the door closed itself. She turned as she heard it shut and couldn’t find the entrance anymore.

Turning back, she took in the vast meadow with a simple dirt road trailing up and down very small hills. She shrugged and began walking. The day turned to night, and night turned to day, in such sort time. She only walked for around thirty seconds before she saw a figure sitting on the side of a road, viewing a field of flowers and small animals like birds, squirrels, rabbits, and even a beaver playing. Quickly, she lost her fake personality. She walked toward him and sat down beside him. She watched the little animals play with one another as well.

The middle-aged human spoke without turning to her.

“Thank you very much for what you did for me Mimi. I will uphold my end of the bargain.”

Mimi shifted to its original form as a large old but well-crafted gilded treasure chest. The top opened and closed minutely as it spoke with a garbled, slimy accent with a lisp. When speaking, and peering into the small gap, you could see a mass of moving reddish muscle or flesh. If lucky, you could even spot some pearly white sharpened teeth.

“Iz waz eazy. Iz not ebery day you get quez from a god.”

The man nodded with a smile as he turned to the Mimic, Mimi.

“No, it is not. I seldom give many out. This one was personally very important to me.”

He turned back to watch the animals playing. He waited for Mimi to speak. It took a whole minute of watching before Mimi nervously whispered, almost like an afraid child.

“Iz… Iz da plase real?”

He nodded.

“It’s real, Mimi. Would you like to go now?”

The chest was still for a few seconds. The only sound heard was the ruffling of the small animals playing.

“Yez.”

He nodded once and placed a hand on Mimi's top.

“I think someday I’ll have another quest for you. You might even get a visitor in the future if all goes to plan. Goodbye, Mimi. Remember to explore and adventure.”

“Gooz bye shame.”

Swirling and twisting condensed black mana encompassed Mimi in her entirety as the God of Travel sent it to its destination with a sudden popping sound. It was a place where monsters who became people lived together away from those who persecuted them. Now that Mimi knows the location, it can leave and come back whenever it pleases. Mimi can go and explore and travel, now with a home and possibly friends for the first time in its long life.

14