Chapter 84 – Em’s Triumph.
293 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lee was reading a book as he sat cross-legged on the cold gray stone between several bookcases in Em’s ‘Library.’ She always insisted that it was her ‘Library,’ not just her collection of books. Lee had quickly learned just to nod and agree with her regarding these minor misunderstandings or differences in opinions.

He gently flipped the old, delicate page in the silence of the tower.

On Earth, he never really read for enjoyment. He, of course, read posts online and news articles, but never anything because he simply wanted some enjoyment.

Trying to calm down from his run-in with Timberson, he checked on Em. She was deep in focus, meditating in her bedding. Not wanting to interrupt her, he perused her bookshelves for a book to kill time. He didn’t want to go back out while simmering from anger and make things worse.

He knew he wasn’t wrong in what he did. Boundaries had to be set, and expectations followed, but it still felt disturbing just to imply a quick death. He was capable of it, and that scared him more than he previously thought it might.

He’d done the math earlier; he knew how much death Antithesis of Healing could bring to those around him—friend or foe. He also knew that one day, he would kill another person. It wasn’t a matter of if. It was a matter of when.

Lee had time to think about life recently. Knowing that you’re going to live forever, if nothing actively kills you, changes you as a person. Good and bad things came from immortality, but Lee could only mostly think of the terrible things that could come from it.

With the warnings from Neia never to reveal his Healer’s Touch in the forefront of his mind, his first immediate fear was being used as some type of healing slave. Trapped in a cage, strapped down and unable to move, used only for healing his captors.

This was made worse, knowing the fact that he would never die from age. He imagined being trapped and locked away for a hundred years, causing a cold chill to travel up his spine.

The second thought was of outliving all of your friends and family. Luckily for him, his one family member was also immortal. So that was a blessing he could count on. His friends, on the other hand? He would outlive them. It wouldn’t be anytime soon, but he would. Even Neia and Ruven would fall to the sands of time before he would.

Unless he could make them immortal as well.

There were positives, for sure. Pallesia was apparently a never-ending dimension-esque world? He wasn’t sure about the specifics, but there were endless places and people to discover and meet if it never truly ended. He could live and explore to his heart's content. If he wanted to settle down somewhere for a hundred years? Why not? It’s not like he didn’t have the time.

So many great and terrible things could come in his future. If he wanted to experience any of them, he needed to survive. To survive, he needed to grow strong enough not to be fucked with or become irreplaceable—or both.

He lazily flipped to the next page as he heard Em stirring. She rose from her resting position, which was rather unique. Her long spider limbs folded against the sides of her spider abdomen into small indentations as she rested. They fit smoothly into place. The flattish bottom of her spider body rested on the ground as her leg-fangs and human body appeared like someone sitting on the edge of a large metallic object.

She rose and looked to where Lee was sitting on the ground. A great ferocious grin spread as her legs slammed into the stonework beneath her. “I have triumphed! Life is mine to control!”

Lee clapped his book shut with one hand as he rubbed the bridge of his nose in exasperation with the other. “Congratulations, Em, but reign in the supreme overlord vibes.”

She scuttled back and forth in excitement and pride before she schooled her face and approached Lee. She stuck her chin up and spoke in her royal tone as she waved one of her arms out gallantly. “I do believe my reward was the teachings from your spellbook. Come, I shall be rewarded now.”

Lee just nodded and agreed. He always tried to play along with her when he could, as when he didn’t, she started to fidget and grow nervous. He didn’t appreciate it when she slammed her legs into the ground. It always caused him to jerk in surprise. “So shall it be.”

He followed her to the table against the blackened window and brought forth his spellbook. He grabbed it by its thick, silvery chain as he looked Em in her dark red eyes. She was excited, but he could see her trying to hide it. “Before we begin, there is something I must ask of you.”

Em straightened her back and raised her chin once more. “Name it; it shall be done.”

Lee just stared at her blankly and continued. “I have a skill. One that will allow you to gain some of my knowledge about healing. For it to work, you must be willing.”

Em could barely see Lee now with how high her chin was raised. She was legitimately looking down her nose at him now. “I am willing and able. Proceed.”

Lee raised the book by its chain and opened it, revealing its golden pages. Lee had never realized it before, but in the darkness of the tower, he could see for the first time that when his spellbook opened, the golden pages within faintly glowed.

He raised the book as high as possible so that Em could reach the pages more easily. He awkwardly coughed and felt embarrassed for what he was about to say. “Place your hand upon the golden pages and learn the art of healing. Take your time.”

Em wasted no time. She quickly placed her metallic palm against the golden pages. As soon as she made contact, the silvery glow of Life mana spread around her hand and the book itself.

Lee waited as she learned his spells.

And waited.

And waited.

After about a minute, his arm was growing sore from holding the chain. He propped his other hand up to try and ease the burden, but it wouldn’t last long.

After another minute, the book slowly began to inch towards the ground with Lee’s failing strength. Luckily, Em seemed to have finished. She withdrew the hand quickly and scuttled back a few feet before reverting to her resting position and peering ahead of her with absolute focus. Her eyes scanned the air before her as she read her system prompts.

Lee stored the spellbook in his Hidden Cache and sat on the table. He massaged his arms as he waited for Em to finish her reading.

It didn’t take long for her to finish. She must have had a skill similar to Lee’s Speed Reading. Without moving her head, she peered toward Lee with her fierce and inquisitive eyes radiating utmost seriousness.

“You created these two spells by your lonesome?” She asked.

Lee smiled at her as he rested on the table. “That I did. I’m curious as to what my skill taught you, though. Would you mind telling me? You’re only the second person ever actually to have it activate.”

At this news, Em squinted her eyes and raised her chin. Almost as if she was going to issue a challenge. “I am second? Who was the first? Who beat me?”

Lee lost his smile and blankly stared at her. She was getting weird again. “A child. So, what did you learn?”

Hearing that it was a child seemed to soothe her competitive nature as she instantly grew relaxed. “I learned the two spells from the spellbook: Mend Wounds and Purifying Light. Afterward, I was given information regarding how the spells function precisely. It… is confusing. Purifying Light especially so.”

Lee quickly brought up both descriptions of his spells.

Mend Wounds: Mend flesh and bone. Also prevents infections to a target at a range within 30 feet. Must have line of sight.
Heal: 50 HP.
Cost: 7 MP + Variable.
Purifying Light: Shoot forth purifying life mana into a target, ridding them of all pathogens and bolstering their immune system from future attacks.
Cost: 12 MP.

After reading through the spell descriptions, Lee could completely understand where the confusion was coming from.

“Yeah, I’m going to be honest here. Even I do not fully comprehend how it works. Obviously, I know enough to make it work, but I’m not an expert. Just imagine that there are tiny, tiny, tiny, monsters that can attack you. Purifying Light kills them. It also makes it that you will naturally be able to defend yourself against them better.” Lee said.

Em nodded thoughtfully. “That is an adequate analogy. The knowledge granted to me is much more complex, but I can see how the analogy works. The Mend Wounds spell is rather interesting. You are not actually restoring the life essence of another. You are bolstering the restorative capabilities already present in a person to a staggering degree, enabling them to heal their wounds.”

She flicked her eyes back to Lee with a nod of acknowledgment. “Impressive.”

Lee waved away the praise. In his mind, he didn’t discover any of this information. He had just stood on the shoulders of the giants before him. “While we’re on the topic of impressiveness, You said it would take a week or two, but it’s only been four days. That’s an achievement if I’ve ever heard of one.”

It was Em’s turn to wave away praise. “It was only natural, due to my excellent nature.”

Lee scooted off the table and raised an eyebrow at her. “Aren’t you the one who told me a week or two?”

Em, stonefaced and serious, readily had her response. “I do not recall ever saying that. You must be mistaken.”

Before Lee could argue back, she pushed on. “If anything, I was slow in my training. I will do better when it comes to moonlight.”

Lee sighed, nodded, and agreed. “Of course you will.”

He placed the book that he had borrowed back onto its shelf, then tried his best at persuasion. Over the past few days, he had repeatedly tried to get Em to leave her tower. It failed every time, either from her deflections or her getting rather aggressive and flat-out saying no.

“I bet Vannessa and Robert would like to know that you can heal now. You could go about the village and heal those who need it when the time comes. Do you want to head over and tell them? I’ll come with you.” Lee asked, pretending to be nonchalant.

Em paused and thought about it for the first time since Lee had known her. Lee pretended to look through her collection as he occasionally glanced over, seeing emotions war on her face.

Eventually, Em came to her decision. “Bring them here, and we will celebrate. If they are too busy to come, all is fine. Do not pressure them.”

Lee, feeling emboldened by this slight success, attempted to respond casually. “I’m sure they aren’t busy. We can go and see together.”

“Lee…”

“You know, we could bring them back here and have a little party outside in the courtyard…”

“Lee.”

“I’m sure some others can come and we can make it a big celebration.”

“LEE!” Em screamed. Her shrill, metallic, and sharp voice reverberated throughout the entirety of the tower.

Lee jerked, stopped pretending to look through books, and looked over his shoulder. Seeing the heaving shoulders, twitching legs, and shrouded face of his Arachne friend.

5