Chapter 86 – Fatal Fatalina.
352 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The two titles were as follows.

1: Miracle Worker / Worker of Miracles. 2: Genesis of Healing.

The impressions given to me were as follows.
1: Miracle Worker / Worker of Miracles. - Capable of feats thought impossible. It is very overwhelming to comprehend. I could not fully conceptualize this title.
2: Genesis of Healing - The beginning of healing / First healer / Creator of healing.
Further notes on this later.

Fatalina snapped her fingers rapidly, getting the attention of Regina.

“Call for Hossidus, NOW!” She barked as she read on.

Upon noticing the titles, the unaggressive behavior, and the inability to identify the level or class rarity of the target, I chose to seek a peaceful resolution.

Fatalina nodded to herself; she would have done the same. Someone with two titles alone was someone you didn’t mess with. Not even she would disrespect someone of that caliber.

After formal introductions on my part, the individual, going by the name Lee Barnes, said this. I quote as accurately as I can recall. “Greetings. My name is Lee Barnes, I am a healer. I come from Neldam, home of the Dark Elves. I am a Human and wish to enter the Kingdom of Thexis to spread my healing magic.”

Fatalina reread the passage several times as she wrote down the critical information regarding the Dark Elves—the name of one of their cities.

Regina opened the door and walked into the office alone. Fatalina looked up, noticed no Hossidus, then slammed the table with so much force that the legs instantly splintered and exploded across the room.

She stood, took a deep breath, then screamed. The scream shattered the glass windows behind her, the clay pitcher, and her cup. Throughout the building and even in the street, she was heard by all.

“HOSSIDUS! GET IN HERE NOW!”

This wasn’t a fucking game. Healer or not, when she called for him, he should come.

Not thirty seconds later, a frazzled man wearing fine silks and pretentious jewelry stumbled into the office with a mix of affrontedness and fear etched onto his face. He was about to complain as always, when Fatalina growled through gritted teeth.

“Speak one word of dissatisfaction and I will kill you. Sit the fuck down, read this, and tell me what you think.”

She passed along the transcribed passage regarding the titles and nothing else. He didn’t need to know anything else.

She waited as he read and as servants came to replace her desk. She would readily admit she had anger issues and that this wasn’t the first desk to shatter. It surely wouldn’t be the last.

Hossidus read through the titles and then met her eyes. “I don’t understand what you expect of me. This Genesis of Healing title is not something that is possible. Obviously, someone was mistaken.”

“Leave.” Said Fatalina calmly.

Hossidus looked up from the paper with confusion and outrage. “What…”

“LEAVE!” She snarled, causing Hossidus to wince and clap his hands over his ears.

Hossidus began to leave the office. He was fearful but brimming with anger and indignation.

Titles couldn’t be faked or mistaken for something that they were not. They were earned. The gods couldn’t just give you a title with their own free will. They could do many things, but giving a title was not one of them.

If they could give titles, the disgrace of God's gift in front of her would be Hossidus the Fool. The pompous healer thought that someone could mistake a title? He was ignorant.

Fatalina’s ear twitched as she picked up a murmur from the retreating healer. “Unclean halfbreed.”

She froze, face blank, as she listened to his angry footsteps stomp down the hall. She grabbed a loose slip of paper, wrote instructions, and held it out for Regina. “Take this to Markus. Tell him his tab is clean.”

Regina nodded and stepped over shattered bits of wood as she went to fulfill her task.

She sat back in her chair as everything was cleaned up around her. Carefully, she began to read again.

He claimed to have come from Neldam, a Dark Elven city. I invited him into the wall and into my office to question him under truth stone. He willingly followed and cooperated.

He answered all questions truthfully. I am unaware if he can bypass the magic contained within the stone, but I dared not attempt to verify.

I have transcripted the questions asked and the answers given.

Q: “Do you seek entry into the Kindom of Thexis to cause harm to either the kingdom as a whole or any of its citizens?”
A: “No.”

Q: “Do you come from the city of Neldam, home of the Dark Elves?”
A: “Yes.”

He then asked if he was required to answer with yes or no. Leading me to believe that this is his first interaction with a Truth Stone. Previously, he asked if the Truth Stone was a Lie Detector—a possible similar magical item.

Q: “These Dark Elves you speak of, what kind of people were they? Were they aggressive or threatening?”
A: “No. They were great hosts and very respectful. They saved my life and taught me many things—for example, magic.”

It was at this point I stopped writing physically into my records. Lee noticed and was unhappy. I’m not sure of the cause. The audio transcription still captured the conversation.

Q: “Are you aware of the history of the Dark Elves in relation to the Kingdom of Thexis?”
A: “Yes. I am aware of what the Dark Elves call The Harrowing.”

To appease him, I continued to transcribe our conversation physically at this point in time. Before I could ask another question, Lee spoke of his free will.

Lee: “If what was told to me was accurate, I can safely say that they are a changed people. I would even go so far as to say that they are no longer a threat and could re-establish relations with us Humans.”

The truth stone remained blue, indicating the truth of his statement.

Fatalina paced back and forth, crunching the shattered glass underneath her boots as she bore a hole into the Copy Scroll with her gaze. Thomas did a fine job. This is invaluable information, and if what Lee said is true? It would indeed change the kingdom.

Seeing as Lee was open about his relations with the Dark Elves, I felt emboldened. I fear I overstepped.

Q: “Do you know how far Neldam is from The Wall of Shadows?”

Response: Silence.

I then started to ask about their city's defenses but was stopped.

“I will not answer any questions in relation to the defenses or placement of their city—nothing about their levels or skills.”

This line of questioning was detrimental. I changed topics.

Q: “You say you are a healer and wish to spread your healing magics into the kingdom. Is this true?”

It was here that the scroll ended for all but her. The passcode used was old, not so old as to have been forgotten, but old enough to be questioned by anybody but her. She had taught Thomas to be a soldier. She had taught him all he knew, and that included hiding information.

Fatalina felt a chill as she inputted the rest of the code, revealing what else was written.

A: “Yes. As the Genesis of Healing, I have created healing spells.”

She spoke without looking away from the scroll. “Leave my office now. Anybody who enters before I leave will be killed.”

All the servants cleaning the office fearfully left. The only person who remained with her was Regina.

“You too.” She said calmly.

Regina gave a bow and left the office.

Fatalina placed her back against her office wall and slowly slid down until she sat on the floor. Her eyes were still reading the scroll.

A2: “I have a spellbook in which to teach others my spells.”

Spellbooks were rare but not unheard of. An advanced practitioner or teacher of magic may have one at their disposal. They were expensive, but nothing a noble or mage couldn’t afford. A spellbook holding healing spells, though? Her hand trembled at the thought. It would change the war itself.

It was at this point that a Beastkin entered my office. I was distraught by the knowledge presented and didn’t realize she had knocked. An avian named Kooco entered. She was stationed here with a member of Squadron 16 named Meriah Camp. She is listed as both a family member and emotional support.

Lee spoke with the avian beatkin Kooco in their language. He seemed surprised to have seen her but spoke fluently without pause.

Kooco was immediately friendly toward him. Even daring to sit on his lap in my very office.

At this point, I felt no more questions should be asked. Not by one of my station. I immediately thought of you, Fatalina. I pray that my next decision was correct, but I fear I blundered.

Fatalina read on. She was surprised that this Lee could speak the tongue of nature, especially the avian kind, but it wasn’t anything incomprehensible. Not like his so-called spellbook of healing or creating healing magic. However, the ill omen left at the end made even her afraid to read onward.

This was not someone who you could offend.

Hossidus, was someone you could offend. There was a cost to doing so, but you could. This Lee? No. Just no.

He wished to tour our great kingdom to spread his magic. His healing magic. Afraid of confrontation, I let him enter.

Fatalina smiled and began to nod to herself.

I left with him a squadron—squadron 16, the same he had met previously. The nobleman, Jeremy Blight, is the son of Jeremiah Blight, lord of Felispar. He is also the ‘best’ soldier we have and should know his way around a healer.

I have instructed him to send you information about Lee during their travels.

Lee accepted the squadron to join him. I attempted for it to be under the preface of protection, but he knew better. He knows we are watching him, and he allowed it.

I end my report here. Please be vigilant of any further information from the Wall of Shadows.

Wall Commander, Thomas Timberson.

Fatalina immediately rolled up the Copy Scroll, walked over to one of her candles, lit it, and then burned the scroll within its flames.

Her vibrant green eyes reflected the burning, wickering flame within them as she smiled. Her two pointy canines on full display. The angry footsteps from the hall quickly approaching her door turned the smile into a wicked grin.

The door flew open, revealing an outraged Hossidus.

He didn’t get to speak a single word before a sixteen-inch dagger flew across the room and plunged between his eyes. He crumpled to the floor like a puppet whose strings were cut. The momentum from his entrance caused him to fall forward. His landing sent the dagger through the rest of his skull and out the back of his head.

Fatalina lowered her arm and spoke quietly as blood pooled across the shattered glass underneath her feet, turning them into beautiful shards of red crystals. She could hear the blood coursing through the tiny gaps---a pleasing sound.

“One word of complaint and I would kill you. I told you, so.”

8