Chapter 94 – Lopus.
286 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That night, everybody was restless. The worry about more statues was still present in everyone's mind. After some light conversation, they all decided to keep watch in pairs. Lee and Em would take the first watch. Kooco, Meriah, and Jeremy would take the second, and Kendri and Belgrate would take the last. They would leave later than usual, but nobody seemed to mind an extra few hours or days added to their already long trip.

Thankfully, nothing happened on Lee and Em’s nightwatch. It took him a moment to finally fall asleep. He was not entirely trusting of his unreliable companions. But, once he fell asleep, it felt like it was only for five minutes. The morning sun blinded him through the back flap of the wagon, waking him up.

Everyone but Lee ate breakfast, which consisted of eggs—Kooco’s eggs. Lee watched as everyone groggily ate their fill. If he could help it, he wouldn’t eat any of Kooco’s eggs, much to her displeasure. It was awkward and felt wrong. He could skip a meal; it wouldn’t be the first time.

Kooco was wearing a pout as she sat up front in the driver's seat, preparing to get the wagon moving. She was offended that Lee didn’t want any of her eggs. Lee settled into the back, overhearing her little tweeting murmurs. “Kooco lays good eggs. Friend Lee Barnes is missing out… It’s his loss… Yes.”

Then, they were off. The road was still steadily increasing with rock and stone. Little dirt was seen beneath the wagon wheels, causing it to rock back and forth.

Lee began to reflect on the wagon they had passed earlier in the week. Since there hadn’t been any turns, they must have come from this location—Passing through this section of the road and dealing with statues.

They could have at least warned us. Lee thought.

Em followed behind the wagon. Her head swiveled from side to side as she watched the thick forest for threats. Kooco watched ahead of them as she ‘drove.’ Inside the wagon, everybody was slightly nervous and tense, seemingly having the same thought Lee had once they left.

What of the village? They would find out in a few hours.

—----------------------------

As they grew ever closer to the next village, more and more activity could be seen. Multiple wagons were being loaded or unloaded by the main entrance, and several people were standing guard, watching the trees and those entering and leaving the village.

The guards didn’t look like what Lee had expected. They had an assortment of mix-matched gear and no uniformity in their ranks. They also ranged from older in their forties to younger in their teens.

Unlike Breye, this village was more akin to a town. Lee didn’t know the exact specifications of when a village became a town, but he wouldn’t compare Breye to this place. Breye had a single dirt road that ran through its center. This village had multiple cobblestone and dirt roads, creating side streets and alleyways. The buildings were of the same style, which was not surprising given their close proximity and since they were a part of the same kingdom, but Lee was expecting some form of variation.

Of course, Em drew a lot of eyes. The caravan of wagons seeking to leave the city paused in their loading and warily stared at her. The fact that she was walking alongside a wagon seemed to instill a ‘not a monster’ tag over her head, or Lee would have expected combat.

I wonder if that is a title someone can get. Lee mused.

It was instantly apparent in the fast-walking pedestrians, nervous or resolute guards, and the exiting caravan that something was, or had been, amiss. Lee had a good guess as to what that might be—the statues.

A man in his thirties wearing a thick gambeson with overlaying chainmail hailed their wagon as they finished strolling into the village. His eyes were hard and focused. There were to be no games today, just business.

“Halt. State your business and affiliation.”

Kooco blankly stared at the man and tilted her head. He didn’t seem to care. His eyes were sliding from the wagon to Em. Lee hopped out the back of the wagon, with the rest of his group following him.

“I’m a traveling healer—affiliation to nobody but me, myself, and I. Originally, I was coming to see if anybody needed healing, but along the way here, we ran into some interesting… Statues. Do you happen to know anything about that?”

The man seemed to ease up at the mention of Lee being a healer and then clenched his eyes closed at the mention of the statues. His knuckles turned white as he tightly gripped the pommel of his sheathed longsword on his hip in frustration.

“Indeed. Your services will be much appreciated…” His eyes landed on the rest of Lee’s group, noticing their military uniforms. He gave Lee a polite but rushed nod and grunt and went to talk to Jeremy.

Lee let him pass by, although he was slightly irked at being so casually dismissed and not given any information regarding the statues. The man had seen better days. He was tense, and the slight look of relief flashing through the entirety of his being once ‘help’ had arrived was enough to give it a pass.

Em scuttled up alongside him as she took in the busy street and worried citizens. “I know I said I was coming along for an adventure, but I didn’t think it would be so soon. Also, I’m shocked that nobody has questioned my presence.”

Lee watched as worried civilians speed-walked through the village, rushing to get where they needed to be. He glanced at the ever-watchful guards and caught one of their eyes. They instantly looked away. “I think they have more pressing concerns, Em. Do you know what this village is called?”

Em shook her head as she waved at the guards, causing them to shift in place. “I do not. I didn’t need to know what was around me when all I did was defend Breye.”

Lee shrugged. If she didn’t know, she didn’t know. “Well, if I had to guess, I would say this will be a longer stop than I imagined.”

Em turned to the conversation between Jeremy and the man who stopped them and saw Jeremy’s admirable attempt at being a confident and capable soldier. “You’re going to have a lot of work cut out for you. I have a feeling.”

Lee glanced over his shoulder and sighed. “I already have a lot of work. The amount of bickering between them in the wagon is astounding. I’m pretty sure Meriah mumbles threats your way as she daydreams.”

Em gave a haughty laugh and grinned down at Lee. “She couldn’t threaten me, even in my sleep. Her bird friend, maybe.”

Lee had to take three seconds to register what Em had said. He did a double-take at Em. “Kooco?”

Em nodded. “You should use Identify more often. So what if it’s rude? I’d rather know what those around me are capable of.”

Lee squinted eyes toward Kooco, still in the driver's seat. Her eyes were wide and innocent, oblivious on what was to come. “Okay, no games. Will she know?”

Em laid a hand on his shoulder and replied in all seriousness. “She won’t.”

Lee used Identify.

Kooco - Avianshee Beastkin. Level 24 - Caring Windweaver.
Avianshee communicate through a combination of vocalizations and gestures. Their small size doesn't hinder their adaptability, as they’re known to overcome most of their disadvantages through allies. Family bonds and community are significant to these avian creatures, which can display a vast range of emotions. They excel in using their avian features for tasks and may form schedules to keep themselves grounded in their day-to-day lives.

Lee stood there dumbfounded. While he knew that Kooco had a class, he didn’t expect her to be at a higher level than him. He tried his best to smooth his emotions, not giving away his inner turmoil, as he turned back to stare at the village.

Em looked down curiously at his reaction. “Surprising, I know. Although I am at a higher level than her, magic can make up for shortcomings. Never judge someone by their appearance, and never think yourself untouchable. A dagger through the back is still a dagger through the back, high health or not.”

Lee nodded, then broke away from Em to join the conversation with Jeremy.

“We will do our part.” Jeremy finished saying as he spotted Lee.

Jeremy waved him over as the man left and started talking to some nearby guards. Jeremy’s face was strained, and it didn’t look like he had any good news.

Lee waited for him to speak, but as nothing came out of his mouth, Lee spoke first. “Well?”

Jeremy looked between Lee and the guards lining up outside of the town. “As members of the military, we are obligated to help resolve this situation.”

Lee held up a hand. “I think you mean, you are obligated to help. I don’t know where this we is coming from.”

“Nonetheless, the citizens of Lopus have uncovered a sprawling underground cavern underneath their village. Inside held delapitated buildings and statues…” Jeremy trailed off.

Lee, face blank, silently stared at Jeremy. “They uncovered an underground cavern and released the statues?”

Jeremy swept his eyes to the side, glancing at the guards. “That’s correct. I didn’t get the details yet, but that sums it up quite nicely. They sent a missive to the adventurers guild in Calhome, and asked for varius adventurers to conduct a raid on the cavern. Any and all treasures found will be their payment. They just want their safety back.”

Lee walked over and sat next to Kooco on the wagon. “What do they want you!” Lee pointed a finger at Jeremy. “To do about it?”

“Contact my higher ups to inform them of the growing situation and to help cull the statues to their last.” Jeremy responded.

Lee ran a hand through his growing head of hair. “Well, you can’t deal with the statues. We tried that. Em can deal with them, but I don’t know she counts as a member of the military. I’ll heal those that need healing, but I don’t want to head off on some cavern dive.”

Jeremy quickly spoke up, trying to reassure Lee. “You won’t have to go in. The adventurers will do that part. You can be more of a supportive role if that’s what you wish. You aren’t obligated to help.”

Em scuttled up to the wagon with a vicious smile. “I’m going in. Adventure awaits.”

Lee held his head in his hands as he released an enormous sigh. “Of course you are…”

6