5.1
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fire can be a nurturing force. To start a fire, you will need to prepare something flammable. This could include thin bark peeled from firewood, dry grass, or even cotton waste from your pocket.

Next, retrieve flint and steel from your tinderbox. Flint can be a rare sight, but it is easy to grip and often has a square ring like a meriken sack. Strike the flint against the steel to create a spark, which can then be used to ignite your prepared kindling.

It may take several attempts to get a spark, so keep hitting the flint against the steel and aiming for your combustible material. The sparks will disappear quickly, but with persistence, you should eventually be able to start a fire.

If you have a firestarter made of magnesium, this can make the process much easier. Simply strike the magnesium to create a bright and long-lasting spark, which can then be used to light your kindling.

As metal scrapes against metal, sparks fly and scatter onto combustibles. Blow enough to keep the sparks from disappearing. After many attempts, smoke finally rises from the kindling. If only I hadn't accidentally put out the fire yesterday, I wouldn't have had to go through all this trouble.

While I could let the kobolds handle this task, it would take too long. It's faster to do it myself. With persistence, the kindling finally catches fire. I gradually add thin firewood to make the flames grow larger. The kobolds gathered the firewood from outside, making sure to only use fallen trees that have been left unattended for years and are dry enough, unless they were recently wet from rain.

Eventually, the furnace catches fire, and I pour a large pot over it. This dish is meant for the 31 kobolds and myself, so I need a pot that's suitable for cooking all of it at once. The pot contains water and peeled vegetables. Cooking is my job since if the kobolds do it, their hair might get in the food.

As the firewood crackles, I place a small kettle next to the fire to warm up.

"Phew..."

I take a moment to catch my breath. It's been a week since I started living in the dungeon, but the construction is going well. First, the slimes worked hard, crawling through every nook and cranny of the cave to clean up bugs, moss, and small animals. The bats near the entrance are gone, and the droppings have been completely cleared.

Next, a temporary passageway was installed. I removed the stones and laid down a plank, making it much easier to move from the entrance to the core passage.

Our current task is temporary leveling near the entrance. We're using pickaxes, shovels, and unicycles to remove obstructive stones and level the path. Since it's only temporary, the path may flood when it rains, but if the slimes do their best, they can clear the water in no time.

I cut the grass just outside the cave with a sickle. It was hindering me from going to the forest to gather firewood and food. It wasn't my intention, but the sylphs have been very active in hunting. They seem to be able to guide their prey towards the kobolds by playing tricks on the animals. I can't leave the cave, so I haven't seen it myself, but the shaman told me all about it. Sylphs can't use dragon language, but they can speak spirit language, which shamans can understand. It's excellent.

Thanks to the sylphs, we have a steady supply of meat, which has been a big help. The kobolds are also doing a great job with tanning the fur. I've left it up to them to decide how to use it.

I stand up and look around. This place is designated as a residential area. My dungeon is a winding road that leads to the natural cave and the core room, which consist of two parts. If you know what a deformed letter T looks like, the upper part is the natural cave, and the bottom part is the way to the core.

This residential area is deep inside a natural cave. I'm using a place that's a dead end and not suitable for defense. When the battle comes, I plan to block it with some means, but I haven't decided on a specific method yet.

Over the past week, I've set up a bed, a tool storage area, a stove, and other essential items in my living space. Ms. Jarvenper recommended a store called "Kettle Shop," where I could buy various tools through online video calls. Even in a different world, online shopping is a convenient option when I can't go outside.

I've also gathered important daily necessities, especially clothes. Wearing a jersey every day had become inconvenient, so I bought sturdy fabric clothes that could be used as workwear. Additionally, despite having night vision, it's still challenging to see in complete darkness. So, I prepared a portable lantern for my personal use and several more for the kobolds to share.

Today's meal will consist of meat from the kobold's homemade shelf. I'm not sure how long it should mature, but it should taste better than fresh meat. I remove the cloth that has been covering it to avoid dust and wash it lightly with water from the stored barrel. Then I cut it into bite-size pieces and add it to a pot of boiling water.

I let out a deep sigh, feeling a mix of relief and weariness. It had been a week since I started living in the dungeon, and thankfully, there had been no attacks so far. But the constant fear of being targeted by monsters and other creatures had left me on edge. On the first and second days, I was scared out of my wits. By the third and fourth days, I had become more vigilant, preparing myself for any potential threats. But as the days went on, I found myself becoming more and more lethargic. I knew this was not a good sign, but I couldn't help it.

According to Ms. Järvenper, the Dungeon Core, Dungeon Medal, and Dungeon Master were all highly sought after by various beings such as monsters, demi-humans, evil fairies, demons, and even gods. The fully grown core was said to possess power comparable to that of a divinely gifted artifact, while even a single medal could enhance the power of spells and special abilities. And as for the master who received the power of the core, many monsters instinctively understood that consuming them would grant them incredible power.

As Ms. Järvenper had warned me, only the Monster Delivery Center and Kettle Shokai had my information. Hopefully, no information had leaked from either of them, which meant that any attacks would be purely instinctive.

I've heard that there are many monsters in the forest surrounding the dungeon. Fortunately, with the help of the Sylph Elite, who control the winds of the area, we're able to guard a fairly wide perimeter. Additionally, the kobolds' acute sense of smell keeps us safe while we procure food and lumber, but we must remain vigilant against potential attacks.

However, it's been seven days since I've been on high alert, and I can't help but feel a sense of laziness creeping in. "Please don't come, please don't come," I mutter to myself, hoping that we won't be attacked.

The basic way to earn dungeon coins is by defeating the attacking enemies in the dungeon. As the dungeon consumes defeated enemies, it grows and produces coins. If the core grows, I will also gain power and can deploy more monsters using the coins. The equipment of the dungeon can also be expanded with the coins.

While attacks are life-threatening, they're necessary elements for growth. Raiders are after treasure, while the dungeon's primary goal is to consume prey. It's a relationship of mutual consumption.

I also heard that offering coins to the core can revive your monsters that have died in the dungeon. It sounds crazy that resurrection from the dead is possible by using five times the amount of coins you used for the summons. Nevertheless, nothing beats not dying. However, I cannot afford to pay the revival cost right now, so fighting not to die is my best option.

I am making preparations, including setting up barricades to turn even the weakest Kobolds into a fighting force and implementing "Operation Sandstorm" to utilize Sylph's power. Despite these efforts, I still feel anxious since I have not yet hired any combat monsters. Although I have the minimum living space, I am considering hiring one.

"... Alright, let's hire someone."

I cannot afford to be complacent, and it may cost me more, but living with anxiety is mentally exhausting. The question is, how much will it cost?

I exchanged one coin for the local currency to purchase daily necessities and construction tools. Additionally, I bought a second-hand large refrigerator powered by magic for one coin, which I deemed necessary to accommodate the large number of people in my dwelling.

I have already used up half of my stock of twenty-four summoning stones for the kobolds. I wonder how many monsters I can summon in the next half hour? I want to be mindful of my expenses and save as much as possible.

"After we finish eating, let's discuss our plans," I suggest.

Thank goodness for my hobby of solo camping, which has proven useful in this unfamiliar setting. The knowledge and skills I acquired during my camping trips have allowed me to manage without relying on any guidebooks. Although my cooking repertoire is limited to basic methods such as baking, boiling, and seasoning with salt and vinegar, it suffices for our needs. The exorbitant price of pepper compared to other seasonings is quite astonishing.

The shopkeeper mentioned that the product was now more widely available for the general public, but I refrained from purchasing it, as I knew I needed to earn more before splurging on unnecessary items.

I really miss the staple Japanese foods such as rice, miso, and soy sauce. Although I have lost some of my memories, the essence of the Japanese diet is deeply ingrained in my body and soul.

I take the pot off the furnace and call out to the hungry children. 

"WOOOOW"

Just then, I hear an unexpected and powerful howl from Sylph.

2