6.2
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As he continues speaking, I realize that our values, common sense, and environment are vastly different. Our worlds are different.

“…It seems Miyama-sama is having a hard time being a dungeon master,” he says.

I'm left speechless and decide to end the conversation there.

"…a?" I intended to shout out, but only a sullen sound came out. However, he continued to talk in his sleep.

"I understand. It's full of monsters outside, and they'll even attack you. What's more, if the monsters see you as food, they'll gain power-ups! It's painful. I sincerely apologize. I truly believe so. I'm trying to be empathetic," he said, looking down at me with a smile in his eyes.

"If you can, I recommend that you at least be able to heal. And if you can't stand being a Dungeon Master, you can quit. But by doing…"

I closed the book forcefully, and the light from the windows disappeared. The harsh talking ceased. I grabbed the book with both hands and slammed it against the wall with all my might.

"This idiot is so annoying!" I shouted.

I kicked and stomped on the book repeatedly, releasing my frustration. My hands and feet hurt from hitting and kicking, but I continued without restraint.

"Above all, you can't trust me! The price is a rip-off! It's a shady backdoor business! A moneylender with an unknown interest rate! Humans are treated as resources for consumption! You're not an idiot here!"

As a Dungeon Master, he looked down on humans and treated me politely, whether he was inside or not. But what would he do with me now that I was no longer the Dungeon Master?

"I don't want to hear from you again, damn it…" I muttered, feeling the fatigue from the battle returning. I sat on a stone chair. In the end, I had no choice but to be swept away by this situation. The rail was strong, lasting for three thousand years. The numbers were too significant for pranks. I remembered seeing those strange numbers in the colophon of that catalog.

While I had little way of verifying it, I believed the information they gave out was true and consistent. What was happening to my body was definitely real. If it was something that could be reversed with a little thought and effort, someone would have already done it.

Would it be easier if I gave up thinking and just followed the rails? If I did what that person said, maybe I could live as a stupid and useful tool. But no, I couldn't bring myself to trust him.

If he doesn't believe it, what about Ms. Järvenpar?...At least I've never been looked down upon. He was also sincere in his consultation. Does she believe in herself? She wants to believe... However, I just want to confirm her stance towards humans. Is she also a race that considers itself superior to others?

As I pondered with a furrowed brow, I sensed a presence ahead.

"Wow..."

It was the Kobold that had just woken up. Did it come to check on me again because of my outburst earlier? Ears down, did I frighten it?

"I'm sorry for making a fuss. It's okay now, go back to sleep," I urged it to return with a hand gesture. But this time, it didn't move from its spot. Even if I urged it again, it remained in place. Hmmm...

After a while, I beckoned it again. It approached cautiously, and I patted it on the head, being careful not to touch its ears as the shaman had warned me. Seeing the Kobold whimpering, I thought to myself, I can't abandon these guys. We've only been together for a week, but they've helped me a lot during this time of crisis.

We work together, share meals, bathe in water, and sleep huddled like small fish every day. Moreover, today, we risked our lives fighting together. They are my family. I cannot abandon my family. Even a Japanese family who can't remember their own relatives would surely get angry if they abandoned them.

"Starting the dungeon with Kobolds, huh? The wise elders of this world speak highly of it."

"Wow?"

"Don't worry," I reassured it as I stroked its head.

The power of the chair had relieved a lot of my fatigue, but even so, I had reached my limit today. There were too many monsters. I'll have to strengthen my forces tomorrow. I stood up and left the core room with the Kobolds.

I will continue to be the Dungeon Master.

2