7.1
13 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning has arrived, casting its light outside the dungeon, even though the sun cannot penetrate its depths. I prepared breakfast for everyone, and we all gathered to eat. The monsters, too, commence their daily work routines. As for me, I prioritize self-care.

One particular aspect of self-care involves shaving, a rather daunting task when done with a knife. Nevertheless, presenting oneself before a woman with a five o'clock shadow is far from desirable. Therefore, I generate a lather, spread it across my face, and meticulously remove my beard.

When contemplating this world, it becomes apparent that it deviates significantly from the conventional medieval fantasy setting. Advanced technologies like the magic refrigerator and the mirror I currently use serve as testaments to this fact. It appears that mirrors capable of providing a clear reflection were once non-existent. I recall reading about it somewhere, possibly in a light novel. However, I should have verified the accuracy of that information. The absence of a smartphone proves to be rather inconvenient.

Anyway. The dungeon core seems to be a rare item, so even if it's an exception... ok. By the time we can buy such things in stores, the technology and distribution must have advanced considerably. Since I can't leave the dungeon, I can't check any further.

"...ok."

Didn't fail today. If you have a red line on your face, that's it. Well, with the power of the Dungeon Master, it will disappear in less than an hour.

After washing the work clothes, Yoshi, I hope you sleep well, Yoshi. Don't forget to take care of your mustache, Yoshi. And those nose hairs...

"...haaaah!... Yoshi!"

Alright then, shall we proceed to the core room?

"This is the Monster Delivery Center's inquiry window. Good morning, Mr. Miyama."

Ms. Järvenpaa greeted me with a radiant smile, as she has done every morning. It seems I couldn't repeat yesterday's success. A bit disheartening, to say the least.

"Good morning. Apologies for the early hour."

"No need to apologize. It's within business hours, after all. This is our work."

I should really purchase a watch. I wonder if the typical working hours are from 8:30 to 5:30. But then again, I can't help but ponder if this world, this planet, adheres strictly to a 24-hour day. I have many questions, but I always set them aside for later contemplation.

"Well, the initial maintenance of the natural cave is progressing smoothly. We have also managed to secure the minimum amount of food. As of now, the living environment is adequately prepared. It's about time we recruit monsters for combat. Just the other day, we experienced our first attack."

"Our first attack? How severe was the damage?"

"Thanks to your assistance, the injured kobold emerged, but it has already been treated. It was simply exhausted, not fatally injured."

"That's a relief. Congratulations on successfully repelling your first attack."

We often exchanged information regarding the events of the previous day. Her expression darkened as she recounted her role as bait and the ensuing physical altercation.

"I understand. It makes sense to discuss the need for defensive and offensive roles. Hiring too many monsters can become burdensome, so would it be acceptable to have a single powerful monster in this position?"

"Yes, that sounds reasonable."

Let's take a moment to lift our spirits. Now, how is she doing?

"Please refrain from employing monsters that prey on humans. They are unnecessary for our dungeon."

The expression on the other side of the screen turned serious.

"...But such monsters offer cost-effectiveness, strength, and unique abilities."

"Understood, we won't include them."

They exchanged serious glances, their expressions void of any humor... and then she bowed.

"I apologize. In that case, I will proceed accordingly... If I may ask, for reference, why did you arrive at that conclusion?"

I remained silent, instead picking up her book and rotating her screen to face a particular direction. It was aimed at a catalog that lay discarded in the corner of the room.

"Can you see it?"

"...Yes, I see and understand."

As I placed the book back on the table, she offered a wry smile.

"I apologize for disrespecting my superiors, given my position."

"Actually, it was another company's doing. It's not something you need to apologize for. However, I have lost the desire to associate with that place, deep within my heart."

I laughed and made a gesture as if suggesting to bury the issue. Ms. Järvenpaa clasped her hands together.

"Um, well then. As for the monsters I can recommend, let's start with defense. Since there's a natural spring in Miyama-sama's dungeon, how about considering this one?"

As she waved her hand, the book's pages turned on their own. I still can't help but marvel at this seemingly magical book. It serves as a reliable means of communication, just like the sturdy catalog over there. ...Ah, I see, it truly is robust.

"The Mudman, priced at 5 coins, is a spirit associated with mud. It also possesses the qualities of water and earth. It can act as a physical barrier akin to an earth elemental. However, being composed of mud, it is susceptible to crumbling. Yet, being a water spirit, it quickly regains its original form. If one attempts to forcefully pass through it, the mud will cling to their body, hindering their movements. Despite this, Mudman remains standing, allowing you to freely attack and impede opponents. While their offensive capabilities may not be exceptionally strong, they can overwhelm even the most experienced fighters. Most living creatures struggle when deprived of breath."

The information is presented in a straightforward manner. However, this creature possesses specifications that make it ideal for a defensive role. ...If there were a rice field, perhaps its name could be Dootabo?

"If you have a swamp in your dungeon, you will be unbeatable. As long as the dungeon exists, you will be resurrected."

"I understand that those who use it will utilize its benefits. However, these are only recommendations."

I'm grateful that I don't need to eat like Sylph. Preparing breakfast, lunch, and dinner can be quite demanding. Afterward, I was introduced to several other monsters, but I've decided to use the Madman as the defensive wall. However, summoning should be done after setting up a swamp in the dungeon. ...There might be an infestation of insects, but I have a slime cleaner, so it should be fine.

"Now, for the attacking role... what is your budget?"

"Hmm..."

In total, I have twenty-six coins as rewards for the first attack. Five will go towards the Madman, leaving twenty-one. It's not feasible to use all of them. There's no point in summoning weak creatures. Serious investment is required, considering that...

"Ten coins."

I called out to scrape together the funds. It feels like I've finally reached the bottom of my wallet. In a game, you'd use all your initial funds and maximize your equipment, but this is reality, and lives are at stake. Without stable income, it's crucial to always have some reserves.

"I apologize. Then... Miyama-sama, I have a recommendation for you."

She said, wearing a flawless sales smile.

"It's called the Guardian Employment System."

2