9
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Around 3,000 years ago, a mysterious individual emerged onto the stage of history. His true identity, race, and purpose remain shrouded in uncertainty. The extent of his abilities and intentions remain largely obscure. However, one intriguing aspect is that he possessed the unique capability to craft an enigmatic object known as the dungeon core. Furthermore, he possessed the power to traverse across different worlds effortlessly. Henceforth, he has bestowed upon himself the name Dungeon Maker.

It was during this enigmatic figure's journey that he encountered a magician from another realm. Without disclosing the details of their meeting, he entrusted the magician with the dungeon core, designating them as its master. From that moment onward, a bond was forged, giving rise to the inception of a nascent dungeon and its newfound master.

The original Dungeon Master, later known as the founder of the Arcus Empire, remains a figure whose true name remains elusive. Referred to by various honorific titles, the moniker "Origin" is primarily associated with him, emphasizing his status as the first of his kind. Having encountered the magician from another world, he appointed them as the founder Origin, bestowing upon them the responsibility of overseeing the Dungeon of the Beginning and accumulating strength. In order to sustain himself, he relied on the continuous influx of monsters that attacked the dungeon.

Over time, the Dungeon Maker introduced two distinctive rooms within the Beginning Dungeon. The first room facilitated the summoning of monsters through the coins generated by the dungeon. The second room enhanced various facilities within the dungeon. Eventually, the Beginning Dungeon branched out and evolved into independent organizations. The Monster Delivery Center and the Dangerous & Deluxe Construction Company emerged as separate entities, each possessing its own unique functions.

As the passage of time brought forth an increase in the number of dungeons, some inevitably fell into ruin. The Dungeon Maker, however, remained uninvolved in their fate. Whether from another world or from within this realm, he continued to select and provide new masters with dungeon cores to carry on his legacy.

The existence of dungeons naturally instilled fear in many humans. After all, dungeons served as the dwelling places for monsters and attracted their presence through summoning. It was only natural for people to harbor apprehension and aversion towards them. However, I, too, bore witness to those who sought out the formidable power that resided within dungeons. They were drawn to the allure of dungeon cores, coins, masters, and treasures.

Alternatively, some individuals, recognizing their own vulnerability, sought the protection afforded by the power emanating from dungeons. The interaction between humans and dungeons gave rise to exchanges of life and assistance. It was during this time that a child was born between the Dungeon Master and a human, heralding the advent of the dungeon child named "Hello."

"I have heard that initially they were not vastly dissimilar from humans," Mr. Leonard remarks, "but over the generations, they have grown in power. Now, these youngsters with their radiant hair outshine skilled warriors from various races. Their lifespans even rival those of elves. And if they possess such beauty and handsomeness, it would come as no surprise if they embrace the ideology of being the chosen ones."

He shrugs his shoulders, signaling his surprise at the existence of elves, yet continues with his narrative.

The population of hailows did not increase at the same rate as that of humans. It remained relatively similar to that of elves. However, due to the limited capacity of dungeons to sustain human habitation, their numbers were restricted. Despite their formidable abilities, they were unable to overcome the inherent idiosyncrasies of monsters.

Consequently, they began constructing a town outside the dungeon with the support and assistance provided by the dungeon itself. Such a feat was considered extremely rare in this world.

"The dwarves had their mountains, and the elves had their forests, so those two races were exceptions," Mr. Leonard adds. "For other races, creating a habitable place was a formidable challenge. Monsters posed a constant threat, not limited to emerging solely from dungeons. Originally, this world was teeming with numerous monsters."

"Dubatto," I respond.

"Yes, even after the Dungeon of the Beginning was established, there were numerous countries that faced demise," Mr. Leonard affirms.

In a short span of time, the village transformed into a thriving town, eventually evolving into a fully-fledged nation. One of the contributing factors to this growth was the gathering of diverse races who relied on the power emanating from the Dungeon of Hi-Lo. Hence, the Dungeon Master sought to forge horizontal connections with the incessant threats that emerged one after another.

Thus, a gathering place for masters centered around the Dungeon of Beginning emerged, giving birth to the Kingdom of Arcus, the precursor to the empire. The hailows naturally occupied the ruling class position, but they were not particularly drawn to governing the country. Their true home was the dungeon, and serving there was both a demand and an honor.

However, the number of available positions for hailows within the dungeon was limited. With the ability to be revived as long as they possessed coins, replacements due to death or injury were rare. Given their long lifespans and the suitable duration of their working periods, the opportunities were few. Consequently, many hailows sought alternative positions that supported the dungeon, leading them to the Monster Distribution Center and the Construction Company.

"This trend persists to this day. That's why most of the people working there are young ladies from prominent families. It's as if there is a lineage that extends back to ancient dungeons," Mr. Leonard remarks.

"Do you feel like an elite among elites?" I inquire.

Ms. Järvenpaa, being a young lady herself, confirms this notion.

"And approximately 200 years after the kingdom's establishment, the first civil war broke out," Mr. Leonard continues.

The outbreak of the civil war was triggered by various factors. Firstly, there was external agitation from foreign entities who envied the kingdom's power. Secondly, there was rebellion against the king, fueled by the overwhelming strength of the Dungeon of Beginning and its bloodline. Additionally, conflicts arose due to mismatches between noble families. These factors culminated in the eruption of civil war, which proved to be exceptionally devastating. Utilizing the power of their respective home dungeons, the combatants inflicted far greater damage compared to civil wars in other nations. The magnitude of the conflict was enough to invite the possibility of foreign invasion.

"However, after repelling all threats, they launched a counterattack," Mr. Leonard interjects.

"Wasn't it chaotic during the civil war!?" I inquire.

"The power of the land is different, the power of the land. And thus, the Arcus Empire was born," Mr. Leonard responds.

This protracted conflict created an irreparable divide. In terms of national entities, there were winners—the Kingdom of Arcus, now transformed into the Empire—and defeated vassals. The defeated parties devised various schemes to escape the empire's grasp. Even the countries that were not directly involved in the war began preparing themselves for future conflicts.

Even within the empire itself, divisions emerged. Among the hailows, a profound rift emerged between those who maintained a connection to the dungeon and those who did not. The presence or absence of this connection created an absolute disparity in terms of economic and mental standing.

The Arcus Empire, ruled by an imperial family tracing its lineage back to the Dungeon of Beginning, established a strict rule of law and possessed a formidable military power. Despite this, conflicts, both overt and covert, continue to arise, hidden or out of reach. Daily occurrences include skirmishes, disputes, and the occasional conspiracy. The empire has experienced civil wars, wars, and even defended against alien invasions throughout its 3,000 years of existence. Despite these internal and external conflicts, the Arcus Empire has managed to prosper and maintain its hegemonic status.

"What does peace mean?" I ask.

Mr. Leonard chuckles and responds, "Aside from the cynical joke that it's merely the time to prepare for the next war, all things considered, we're doing relatively well. We uphold the law and work together."

"So, when an opportunity presents itself, you strike?" I inquire.

"As long as you have a just cause," Mr. Leonard confirms.

"They're refined barbarians," I comment.

"Ahaha, you have a way with words," he replies.

You remain solemn, Mr. Leonard. However, what does it signify that there are countless sparks of conflict that refuse to extinguish? I wonder if it is the immense power wielded by the imperial family and even the Dungeon of Beginning.

"Now then, let's get to the main topic. Why is the Dangerous & Deluxe Construction Company in such a state?" I inquire.

"It's a result of factional disputes between the Delivery Center and the Builders," Mr. Leonard explains.

"Hmm, but that doesn't seem to be enough. It feels like there's more to it, especially considering the added factional conflicts within the construction company," I note.

"Indeed, it's quite unfortunate," Mr. Leonard agrees.

The largest faction within the construction shop consists of imperial nobles who have no direct connection with dungeons. They are followed by the commercial faction, comprised of individuals seeking to exploit the various benefits arising from dungeons. Additionally, a minority faction exists, comprising those who aim to profit from the exchanges between the two primary factions, as well as those who attempt to impede their activities and spies from external forces.

What brings all these factions together, despite their divergent interests? There are valid reasons for their convergence. First and foremost, there is an empire law that prohibits "Nobles from providing excessive assistance to dungeons." It is not possible to establish a relationship with a dungeon solely through monetary means.

When this law was on the verge of being enacted, numerous nobles voiced their objections. At that time, many hailows sought financial assistance when they were unable to secure positions within the dungeon. However, the law was established. But why?

"It is not the proper growth of a dungeon to be bloated with bags of gold coins. Cease it," came the cry from the founder Origin. Throughout the 3,000-year history of the empire, there were only a few instances where the founding ancestors involved themselves in the empire's politics. No one could resist the words of a being revered as a deity, equivalent to the Dungeon Maker.

In any case, due to the influence of this cry, it became challenging for nobles to establish a direct connection with the dungeon. This is one of the reasons why hailows congregate at the delivery center and construction shop.

"If you are part of these two factions, you can legally meet the Dungeon Master," I note.

"But it's an incredibly narrow gate," Mr. Leonard acknowledges.

However, forming a deep bond is not easily achieved through mere conversations. It was the commercial faction that extended a helping hand to the troubled aristocratic faction. They boasted strength in their wealth. Even if direct transfers were not possible, borrowing was not prohibited.

"That's right! Let's invest in extravagant buildings and become lenders to connect the edges!"

"The dungeon will thrive because it will go to great lengths to repay the debt. It's different from simply accumulating wealth in a gold coin bag. It may be a gray area, but at least the empire turns a blind eye. These cliques intertwine with one another. Well, it's a bit complicated, but it seems there are those who maintain good relationships in their own ways. However, their reputation from the outside is not favorable."

It's a daunting tale. Do dungeons need to go to such lengths? They possess extraordinary capabilities that surpass other races, and they constitute the ruling class of a mighty empire. Yet, they cannot escape the clutches of the dungeon. Hiro is indeed a challenging race.

"However, this is just one of the primary reasons behind the high pricing structure of the construction company. There are various other speculations and ideas that contribute to this situation. I may not fully comprehend them... Well, I've spoken at length, but are you satisfied?"

"Yes, thank you very much."

Thanks to you, I have gained valuable insights. Whether it's the Dungeon Maker or Founder Origin, it seems that someone higher up desires the dungeon to be formidable. For that reason, they allow us to face hardships.

Someday, I hope to strike back. However, it appears that it will take 3,000 years to do so.

0