Chapter 8: The Girl with the Raven Hair
117 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the warm late afternoon sun enlightened the room, my hands opened the dirty closet and revealed a small quantity of shabby attires within its damaged walls. Without taking too long to consider, my hands snatched a simple dark brown dress from the hanger and braided my dark hair, allowing two slightly short strands to frame my face.

   My stomach grumbled, displeased with what I’d just eaten. Heartburn flew through my esophagus as I gulped down my saliva, hoping to ease this unpleasant feeling. Seeing how there had been no further improvements, my hands turned the door knob and walked towards the entrance of the mansion. Maybe walking for some moments would relieve such sickening sensation.

   One step after the other, I strolled slowly as my mind stood deep in thought, considering today’s events. Bradley had finally acknowledged me and soon, the Duke’s soul would follow. He couldn’t remain oblivious or in denial for long.

   There’s no way he will take any risks with their wedding... A grin was drawn on my lips, feeling a sense of satisfaction travel through my bones. The beautiful garden filled with tall trees and bright green bushes, flapping with the soft breeze, made such emotions increase even further.

   As I passed through the large iron gates, Amanda’s voice rung in my ears and, some moments later, my chest tightened. Bradley was currently entering his carriage but, the moment he sat down, his eyes connected to mine, charmingly surprised.

   Beneath my dark gray cloak, my fists clenched strongly. Couldn’t you sit on the other side? How unlucky.

   Noticing how her guest’s attention was focused on a specific direction, Amanda’s body turned and was greeted by my presence. With cheeks flushed as a piping hot volcano, she stamped her feet on the floor, dashing towards me. “What are you doing here!? Leave at once!”

   Even though she yelled, I remained calm and composed, taking in the horrendous sight before thinking of a reply. My eyes voyaged up and down her body, analyzing her thoroughly. Almost immediately, my gaze forced itself to focus on the bushes a couple of meters to my right.

   How... Trying my best to retain the laughter inside, a soft chuckle slipped by. Luckily, it wasn’t noticed by the fuming beast in front of me. Are these the new trends...? Where has fashion decency gone to...

   After taking a deep breath, I faced her once again. Her dress was extremely voluptuous on its bottom and tremendously tight on its upper half causing Amanda’s large breasts to mimic two peas, ready to burst their contents out from how tight the corset had been placed. Of course, the bright orange color and the amount of riffles the attire possessed, specially at its lower half, made her seem like a one of those performers from the festivals - the clowns. If that wasn’t enough, there were also large bright green flowers surrounding her waist, mimicking a belt, holding still a somewhat transparent golden and sparkly layer. This was the most horrendous dress I’d ever seen.

   “My dear sister, you hurt me with those words... I cherish you so much.” My hands passed by her shoulders before grabbing a strand of her dark crimson hair and kissing it softly. Her blue eyes glared at my smirk with bitterness.

   Uncomfortably, she shoved my grip away. “What are you doing!?”

   “Elder sister’s dress is so magnificent that even bees are drawn towards its greatness. I was simply removing the frail creature from your body. Please forgive me if I offended you, sister.” She gritted her teeth and turned on her heels, approaching Bradley’s carriage once again, completely lost for words.

   At first glance what had been said didn’t mean no harm, however, to those cult enough to read between the lines, one could tell they were clearly insulting. If wildlife was drawn to one’s attire, wouldn’t that be the same as considering them animals?

   A tingling sensation traveled through my bones. Yes Amanda, hate me more.

   After walking a bit further, Bradley intervened, waking me up from that pleasant feeling. “Lady Ophelia, where might you be headed? I can provide you with a ride.” He politely said, a charming smile stamped on his lips.

   In a fit, Amanda rushed in front of the carriage door, arms wide open as if she was a 5-year-old child protecting her most precious toy. ‘He is mine, back away!’ Was what her expression said.

   “I’m simply going for a walk, My Lord.” Hiding away any hint of annoyance, my head bobbed forward slightly, paying my respects.

   “Would you like some company, My Lady? Truth be told, I’m still stuffed from lunch as well.” And there it went again, the wonderful, charming knight in his white stallion and shining armor.

   Hearing his suggestion made Amanda’s body turn and glare at him. Noticing how he didn’t even dare to spare her a glance, her face became void of color. She couldn’t believe this was happening.

   Such event was enough to make me understand my plans had worked too well for my own good. But, since he was of no further use to me, there was only one route that needed to be taken.

   “I am very thankful for your kind offer, but I must refuse... how could I do something like that to elder sister?” My hands covered my parted lips slightly as my eyes shone with sorrow, shily looking away.

   Seeing my strange attitude, Amanda’s eyes widened, confused as to why I was refusing such a splendid opportunity. My hands grabbed hers, bringing them closer to our chests. “Why don’t you take the lord for a walk, Amanda? I’m sure you two will enjoy it far more than me.”

   Still slightly dazed, all she did was nod, giving me space to continue. “Well then, sister, Lord Bradley, have a wonderful afternoon.”

   My hands grabbed the hem of my dress, saying my goodbyes as rapidly as possible. I didn’t want to give him time to come up with any sort of reply, to allow that snake of a man to slither away from my sister’s weak grasp.

4