Chapter 1: Beginnings
3.9k 5 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Beep Beep Beep …

From between the sheets of one of the rooms of a humble house in a small neighborhood, a trembling hand reached for the alarm clock next to the bed with alternating intentions of turning it off or breaking it.

Finally, after much hesitation, the owner of the hand decided to turn off the alarm clock, after which he grabbed the glasses that were next to it with a little more anger accumulating in his heart. Maybe the next time the result will be different.

Little by little the sheets slide towards the ground, exposing what was hidden by them.

Zack slowly opened his eyes as he got up and went to the bathroom with trembling steps.

As he approached the mirror, it was able to reflect his figure, which grew larger with each step.

When he got to the bathroom, he got ready to school. Today is Friday after all.

Zack is an ordinary 16-year-old boy, nothing has ever happened in his life to prove that Zack is more special than a stone on the ground.

Zack's parents are top lawyers in the country and, as a result, they are extremely busy every day. At least Zack can't remember a time when his parents weren't working on an "extremely important" case that couldn't wait to do things like normal families so Zack had a somewhat lonely childhood.

That doesn't mean he hates his parents; Zack feels grateful to them for the opportunities they worked to give him. However, their absence also meant that Zack had to mature earlier. That, together with his parents' desire for him to enter a good university caused Zack to move to study in the capital while his parents advanced their careers abroad.

Although Zack does not neglect his studies, due to the lack of interaction with people in his childhood Zack has two main defects: Difficulty interacting with other people and passion for reading.

Being from a wealthy family, Zack's parents made sure to provide him with a strict education from a very young age, which caused him not to have relationships with other children his age.

In his free time, and to get away from his studies, Zack looked for a way to entertain himself.

Unfortunately, Zack's parents used their house almost exclusively for sleeping, so there weren't many forms of entertainment. The only thing, apart from the basic necessities of any family, were books, so Zack began to read.

It didn't matter if it was science or fiction. Zack got to read all the books in his house. The first gift he asked his father for his birthday was a book.

And this is how Zack is known by all his classmates, a lonely geek only accompanied by a book in his hand every single moment of the week.

After taking a shower and changing clothes, Zack looked at the time and decided to go to school early.

Zack can't be considered attractive, but people wouldn't be upset by his appearance. He has soft features and common black hair that give him a calm appearance, added to his glasses that give him an intellectual air, coupled with his average height of 1.75 meters, which will make him go unnoticed on most occasions.

Zack turned around before leaving his apartment to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything.

After one last check, Zack nodded his head with satisfaction and went to his school like any other day.

Only God knows that this day will be completely different from the rest.

In a huge room with large windows that showed the beautiful views of the outside and walls describing great deeds carried out by heroes of the past, accompanied by beautiful decorations that gave the room a touch of elegance, there was a group of people wearing embroidered robes saying words whose meaning it was beyond what most could decipher as they formed a circle in the center of the room.

Outside the circle were two people talking quietly, not wanting to distract the robed figures from the mission they had been given.

"Is everything ready for the ceremony?" asked the figure on the right, a fat man with a small mustache adorning his face, dressed in official clothes a little tight for the bulging figure that threatened to burst from one moment to the next as he looked nervously at what was happening before him.

"Yes, prime minister. Everything is ready, in a few moments we can start" answered his counterpart, an elderly robed figure with much fewer beads who looked at the circle with impassive eyes.

"Good. Remember that we cannot fail his majesty. His patience is wearing thin," the prime minister said lightly, but if one knew him well, he would appreciate the concern in his eyes. Clearly the king they mention is not someone compassionate.

The Parmece kingdom is a country located in the northern part of the central continent. Despite its incredible military power, its soldiers are in constant war with the demonic continent of the north and its constant invasions to occupy the lands of the central continent.

This situation has caused the kingdom of Parmece to block the demon's offensive while the rest of the countries around it enjoy the enormous resources of the continent and uninterrupted peace at the cost of the lives of Parmece's soldiers.

The king has been dissatisfied with this status quo for a long time, and despite repeated requests for help to bear the burden of war with the neighboring countries and the multiple responses received, the amount of real support that has reached the borders is almost inexistent.

Remembering the anger in the king's eyes when the messengers praised his efforts with arrogant eyes, sent a shiver down the prime minister's spine.

He was sure that if it weren't for the fear of being besieged on multiple fronts at once, the destination of those messengers would have been the deepest torture chambers in the palace.

"Don't worry. We have already checked multiple times. The ceremony will be a success and His Majesty will get the heroes he needs" replied the other figure with respect in his voice towards the royal family, if that respect was true or false only he knew, although there was a hint of humor in his eyes.

The old magician knew very well the character of the current king, where others see greatness, he only saw greed and desire for conquest. A person who allows those around him nothing but total submission. Having someone like that as a king isn't exactly ideal for nobles, mages, or even commoners.

Fortunately, it is this same lust for power that keeps the king busy with foreign affairs, allowing each nobleman to rule his territory with a certain degree of independence and maintain a balanced situation in the country.

The current situation in the kingdom is closest to peace than it has been in hundreds of years. Even if a large part of the troops are stationed on the border of the kingdom, large-scale clashes rarely occur. With the threat from the forces in the north, neighboring countries do not dare to declare war for fear that troops will be diverted from the north to counter them. The demons could then bypass the kingdom's defenses to attack them.

Wizards don't hate this situation, peace means time to research and develop their magic, no wizard worth their salt would wish for a true war, as it would mean abandoning their studies and going to the front lines where they could die. As for honor and glory…

Hehehehe

They are magicians, there is no one nobler in the continent than them.

A trace of pity appeared in the eyes of the mage as he watched the performance of his men.

The ritual that was being prepared in front of him had been used on previous occasions when humanity was on the brink of extinction as humanity's last hope. Now it was just another tool of power for an arrogant, narrow-minded man with ambitions of greatness.

In fact, he was sure that if the army was not limited by the demonic hordes, the central continent would be engulfed in war, war caused by the current king.

The prime minister was going to answer him when suddenly the circle on the floor of the room began to shine and a solemn atmosphere permeated the room.

The heart of both people skips a beat from the amount of mana in the room. Soon the mana converges into the center. Green lights start to shine all over the place as the mana starts creating all kinds of geometric shapes all over the place.

The ritual has begun.

96