Chapter 80: Behind the scenario (Part 2)
667 2 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Duke Richard's face twisted into a mask of anger. The slave he had worked so hard to acquire, exchanging favors with other nobles to fulfill his grandson's desire, not only managed to escape but also murdered him. A slave killed his grandson! It made no sense. Before bringing her, he had verified that her class was a miserable Tier 1, and she underwent thorough checks every time before being allowed to see his grandson. She couldn't have committed the murder.

Richard would rather believe that the king came to his house to hand over the throne than think his son had died at the hands of such a slave. Obviously, there was something sinister behind his son's death, but he had no evidence. Despite investigating the matter extensively and hiring the best trackers money could buy, there was no proof that she received any assistance from the outside or inside.

No, there was no solution. His son was dead, his grandson was dead, and there was nothing he could do to fix it. As he looked into his son's hopeful eyes, Duke Richard found himself in a difficult position. Of course, he wanted revenge too, but the problem was there was no one to seek revenge upon.

Duke Richard personally investigated what happened that night. All the employees who worked that day in the mansion where his grandson lived were tortured to check if any of them were involved in his death. The results showed they were innocent and had no connection to the incident. That didn't mean they lived to see the next day. After his son died, it wasn't fair for his servants to continue living. But the main culprit remained alive, and what happened that night remained a mystery.

Richard had never felt so powerless in his life. Even if he captured the slave who killed his son and sought revenge, it wouldn't bring him back to life. He knew that very clearly. If there were a method to achieve that, his enemies would be alive again, attacking the walls of his castle right now. Some of the people he had faced in his life were powerful and had the resources to reach his level.

"That's not something you have to worry about," the Duke finally said coldly, his face devoid of emotion.

"But father—"

"Retreat," the Duke interrupted instantly, his tone even harsher. Even if he was his son, he wouldn't allow his word to be contradicted.

Upon hearing this, the Duke's son gritted his teeth. After looking at his father briefly, he bowed partially and slowly left the room.

BAM

Once the door closed, the Duke sighed wearily. Duke Richard was old and had lived a lot. The death of a relative didn't affect him too much, but his son was different. Unlike him, his son struggled to have offspring, which is why he became especially attached to him when he was born.

(Anyway, he's just one son. As soon as he conceives another, he'll recover) thought the Duke decisively. The person who just left the room is not his only son. The Duke is a powerful and influential person; it's impossible for him to settle for just one woman. The number of children he has had over the years may exceed three digits.

The reason he values this one more than the others is that he is the most talented, with the most potential to inherit the family's most important legacy: his class. Duke Richard is already old. He knows he won't live forever. He must pass on an appropriate successor before he dies. Otherwise, his family could disappear.

The Duke turned and looked at his coat of arms hanging on the wall. Two swords piercing a mountain. For him, nothing is more important than maintaining the family's glory. The death of a grandson is not enough to make him lose perspective.

That doesn't mean he will allow anyone to crush his descendants as if they were worms. The ducal family has a reputation to maintain. If they let any slave do as they please, no one will respect them. Still, one of his sons must rise in class.

Richard looked away and focused on the documents on his desk.

(Hmm? A restructuring in the north? What is His Majesty planning?) After so many years as a duke, he's aware that the king's thoughts are far from simple, but this makes no sense. According to what's written here, the king wants to reorganize the northern territory to facilitate troop mobilization, but the cost outweighs the benefits.

(And it has already begun) the Duke noticed as he observed the progress of this ambitious plan.

(What is His Majesty thinking, especially now?) The Duke's face took on an unpleasant expression as he recalled the other problem he had on his hands.

(If it weren't for that issue, how is it possible that they knew where I was?)

This is something that no one else knows, not even his most reliable confidants. A few months ago, someone broke into his capital house to steal. In the eyes of the world, they only stole some money, and the culprits were caught immediately, but he knows that's not true. The culprits are still out there, and the worst part is, he doesn't know why they want that thing.

(The world is becoming a very confusing place) thought the old Duke as he lamented his situation.

In another area of the kingdom, in a forest far from the intrigues of the nobles, Zack and Titan emerged from one of the bushes and saw the dirt road. Seeing that they had exited the forest, their eyes widened, and they embraced each other with excitement.

Three hours. They had been searching for the exit of this damn forest for three straight hours. Seeing that dirty dirt road where it was hard to walk without losing balance, Zack and Titan's eyes overflowed with emotion.

After wandering aimlessly for so long in the middle of the forest, he was no longer so sure having a dog was such a good idea.

(Stew for dinner. Now, that's a good idea) Zack thought as he watched his dog run down the road toward the house.

Of course, not everything was bad. The detour not only allowed him to get to know the forest better, but he also found many herbs he hadn't seen before. He probably wouldn't need to go back there for a while.

(Glad it's all over)

Fortunately, he was on the outskirts of the forest, so there was nothing too dangerous. If he had ventured into its depths, no one was sure if Titan would have ended up as some carnivore's snack.

Unfortunately, it seems that every time you try to relax, it's interrupted.

In front of his house, two people stood still, looking uncomfortable.

(Looks like I can't rest. I just want to learn magic.)

"You two, what are you doing there?"

 

A NOTE FROM DAOISTWGQXZL
If you want more chapters visit my patreon:
patreon.com/DaoistwgQxZL
27