This Can’t Go Wrong
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dylan

《♤》《◇》《♤》

I was moving quickly through different houses, starting from the richest to the snobbiest. I moved through almost like clockwork, and I realized I needed to change up my routes soon. It was fine for now, though. These people never expected to be robbed during the day.

I then took a trip to my favourite merchant. Coming in through the front door, Anvel grimaced as he saw me. "Miss me?"

"Oh yes, for the fifty one hours, three minutes, and seventeen seconds I got to be apart from your grating voice." Ooh, the sarcasm was dripping, and there is no way he actually counted the exact time since my last purchase.

"Need some scrolls."

"What's new?"

"Lots of things, like I lost and made some more money again." I said with a smile, and he mumbled something about me probably stealing all of it. Well, he wasn't wrong. "Anvel, come on. Let me see what you got."

"Can't. Since someone took some scrolls from the arcanium, they have limited what they sell to merchants for the next week. And I can't use my other channels cause someone also stole from them." Was that anger in his voice?

"So you have nothing in stock?" I asked, eyeing a scroll sitting on his counter. He shifted it away as he looked me in the eyes.

"Nothing for you. And I've got a package I'm holding onto for the mages from Salted Lakes."

"Pfft. More like salted ponds." He rolled his eyes and finished writing something down.

"Not ponds, lakes. Bigger than some around the city, even, dumbass." I pouted at him, and he just shook his head, carrying his paper to the shelves behind him. When he came back, he looked at the now vacant spot of where a scroll once stood. "Dylan."

"Yes?"

"Put it back."

"Put what back?" I said innocently.

"Don't..." He pointed a single finger at me with a stern look. And then he shrugged. "Whatever, keep it. I don't even remember what it does." He waved his hand dismissively.

"I don't know what you're talking. Gotta go, bye." I left through the back door, into the backstreets. Even in the nobles' quarters, back alleyways had a knack for drawing trouble. Found some quickly too.

A couple of guys who were up to no good starting causing trouble in the neighborhood. I got into a fight with them, and I honestly have no idea why. But I was not prepared at all, they just came swinging and I could barely avoid their punches, but each one that connected with my face sent blood flying onto the walls and street.

"Found you, sack of shit." A knee to my stomach dropped me. "Thought you could steal from us, huh?"

I coughed and looked up. "I don't even know who you are." Oh my god, was this dude about to cry? Did he really expect me to remember him?

The other guy stepped between us. Ah, him I remember. Dalton. Some punk that's been going around saying we have beef, but I seriously have only met him twice. He punched my face and held my head up before it could rest on the cold stone. Ah, how I crave that cool feeling.

"See, Dylan? This is what happens when you bump heads with the rotting gourds." I snorted, barely able to contain my laughter. That's what you call yourselves? "The fuck you laughing for? Imma gut you today, bastard."

He tossed my head aside and stood up, holding out a knife. His friend pulled one out too. Cute. But also, I was in a lot of pain, and two against one was not good. And from the footsteps I heard, I'm guessing they weren't alone. Hm...

I pulled out the scroll I...found, and proceeded to unfurl it. They looked worriedly between each other and I could hear their allies faltering in their steps. I began laughing menacingly, even though I had no idea what was about to happen. But it sure was worth the look on their faces. Wasting no time, I tore the scroll and felt the magic shape between my hands. I had to channel it still, and they tried to close the distance when they finally noticed. Too late.

I released the gathered energy, faced it outwards and.....nothing? Some nervous laughter rose into outright hysterics as the men around me pointed and laughed. And then they couldn't stop laughing. Tears flowed from their eyes from how hard they were laughing, and their faces were twisted into massive smiles. 

But they all soon turned to each other and shock was behind their laughing eyes. It was funny to see but kind of horrifying. I mean, they couldn't even hold their weapons or stand up for long from how hard they broke into hysterics. It looked painful now, and I just left. It was getting uncomfortable. My lips twitched into a grin though, and soon I was laughing.

Shit, did I get effected too? Nah, I was thinking back over the whole exchange. Holy shit, they're probably still back there, confused and panicked with those stupid looks on their faces! I couldn't stop and tumbled over myself into a bush. Ooh, there's a small door built into the foundations of this tower behind it. I quickly picked it open and went inside.

《☆》《♤》《♤》

Dylan

0