The Big Heist
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dylan

《☆》《☆》《♡》

"...and then that is when we will make our escape through the access tunnel. Everyone got that? Dylan!" All eyes turned to me. I was looking at something on the table.

"Huh?" I think I missed some of that.

"Dylan, did you hear the whole plan?" Crap, Gabriel was looking at me hard.

"Uh...yeah, go in, grab what we can, get out. Easy." His facepalm tells me that was not what he said.

"Look, I invited you to this because you are scarily efficient at getting in and out of places without being seen." Well yeah, the people in this city don't have the most amazing security, after all. "But why did you come if you aren't even gonna listen?"

"I am listening! I heard everything about the layout of the manor." Really, I did hear that part.

"The layout, but not the plan?" I nodded, to which Gabe sighed. "Fine. Good enough. Then we are doing this tonight, as agreed."

"Wait, tonight? You sure? Maybe we can take a rain check on that, organized crime is not really my strong suit, and more time to prepare could be good overall." I mean, I'm prepared enough to rob just about any place, but it really took a lot of spoons to hang out with other people. And there five of them!

Gabe pulled at his face. "It's happening tonight, whether you show up or not! So are you still in?"

"Oh...ehh, I dunno. You guys are cool and all, though I mostly only know Gabe. Maybe I'll meet you guys there later. See you inside?"

"You can't just mEet Us LaTEr! There is no arriving late for this!" The rather rude impression came from the tall lanky fellow with bright yellow hair. I'll remember that.

"Dylan, just don't come then. Ill bring you on another job, maybe." Gabe rolled his eyes to the side with a wave of his hand.

"Ugh, fine, I'll meet you guys there. Outside the service tunnel, right?" I began to leave, while the others protested.

"No, don't show up! You'll just- Dylan!" I was already gone, and hours later, I was ahead of everyone.

I actually had to wait a bit for them, and it felt like it had already went past the meeting time. I idly bit into an apple as some guards rounded the corner. Hm, just guards. Or, wait. Those emblems they have match the banner on the lord's manor beside me. Ah crap.

"Hold there, what business have you outside of Lord Hassel of Doff's manor?" Who's that? Oh, the guy we were about to rob.

"Sorry, I have no idea who that is." I replied genuinely. They were eyeing me warily.

"You don't know the lord of this manor? Then why do you continue standing here? Are you the ruffian we were warned about?" Ruffian? I'm a vagabond, thank you.

"Not sure what would make anyone tip me out as a ruffian, but if you must know my business, I'm waiting for some friends." Now the guards were looking at my outfit. A leather vest and leggings, with several bits of hardened cloth. I know, it looks amazing. But it seemed to raise their suspicions of me.

"Turn out your bags. Show us you have no intention to enter this place uninvited." Hell of a way to say break in. Whatever, I poured out the contents of my bag.

"Okay, I've got this soap, a box of needles, some empty flasks, my potions, scrolls, a rope, a travel lantern, my lockpicks- uhh, for locksmithing. I'm a locksmith." Oh shit, they aren't gonna buy that.

"Oh, a locksmith. Captain, didn't the lord need one soon?" A rather innocent looking guard said cheerfully, and I wanted to bless his kind heart, but the captain still wasn't buying it. He turned to call the other guard an idiot, and I ran away when I had a chance.

"Hey! Stop right there!" Their voices were fading behind me, I was already taking off down the street, and I was even able to grab my things before running too. Okay, so someone told the guards I would be there, and everyone was definitely late. So I seem to be....a distraction. Oh, these guys were smart! While the guards are chasing me, they can all break in! I'll be sure to find Gabe after and get my cut for this.

I smiled as I used various doors and tunnels to lose the guards, and made my way to the undercity. I had my hood up, so I should be able to lose the heat soon and not have anyone to identify me after. Anyways, why was I doing all this again? Well, after my disappointment from the last trip, I came back to Narmon, capital city of the country of Narmon (totally original, I know), and tried to find some other fun. Cut to Gabriel reaching out to me, and here we are.

I was waiting at their hideout, and hours later, they all came pouring in with the loot. "Hey guys, nice thinking calling the guards on me. Totally worked out in the end, huh?" I smiled at each of them, but they all had blank expressions, like they didn't expect to see me. Weird, I thought they knew I'd be there.

"Why are you here?" One of them asked.

"For my cut? I thought you guys wanted me to be a distraction." What was so confusing about this?

"Dylan- we told you not to come. I thought the guards were enough of a message that we cut you out of the deal." What?

"Oh come on! Gabe...I still ended up helping you, didn't I?" This was just upsetting. Cut me out? But I'm a core part of this team!

He pulled at his face again, he seems to like doing that, and had trouble meeting my eyes. I mean, me too. Fuck eye contact. "Man, just..." He held out a hand and then squeezed it into a ball, closing his eyes tight like he was trying to get rid of a migraine. "Look, just take some coin, and then get out. But you won't be getting a deal with the Dunreli's."

"...who are they?" Now everyone was groaning, and a bag of coin was thrown at me.

"Gods damnit Dylan, you weren't even listening to that? Big crime family, lots of money, it- it doesn't matter. Just go!" Wow, they were really sensitive about this. I feel kind of bad, I had a lot on my mind before coming here, and I ended up ignoring Gabe a lot because of it. I'll try and make it up to him another time.

"Okay. Thanks Gabe. Sorry guys, happy things still went well." I quickly left, forcing a smile, and then cried a bit on the way out. Well, more like sobbed. I have got to stop crying in the undercity someone's gonna- chipmunk wizard?

"Oh, hey Dylan." What's he doing down here? "Glad I found you. I still haven't thanked you for saving me."

"Ah. Now's not a good time chipmunk wizard. Sorry." I began to leave before he pulled me aside.

"First off, my name is Elias. Second, I do owe you for before. You saved me practically twice now. And frankly, I'm still interested in seeing what's at the bottom of those ruins." Oh, the meteorite. I almost forgot.

"Well, I still don't want to go there yet. And I...thought you were a chipmunk." I mumbled.

He sighed, having heard me. "I'm still an effective wizard, and...I can use a spell to change into a chipmunk. Every now and then."

My eyes widened with a smile. "Really? Okay, then maybe we can start planning and getting ready."

"Great, I have a friend in the city that can maybe help us. I think you'll like him." I agreed to follow and we left for an inn up in the commercial district.

《♤》《♤》《♤》

Dylan

0