Crystal 14: Noid
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Noid came out of the woods and looked up, ascertaining the size of the wave he would have to deal with. He looked around, and after seeing that the danger was still about an hour away, he went into the small hut he called his home.

The interior was cozy, with a sturdy wooden table standing in the middle. The table was taking up a fair bit of the available space, along with a few chairs. There was a bed in the corner, and a surprisingly comfy one at that, with feather-stuffed pillows. The rest of the interior was taken up by various chests, cupboards and wardrobes. Herbs and various smoked fish were hanging from the ceiling, and the entire thing was lit up by small yellow orbs, strategically placed all around the inside of the room. The orbs flickered merrily, mimicking candlelight.

Noid opened one of the cupboards, and placed the jar of honey he just collected inside. He stood still for a while, before taking it out again and using a bit of his magic power to inscribe the date on the container. He then put the sweet treat back, and closed the cupboard.

Suddenly, the small orb attached to his waist began glowing white, and Noid took it into his hand. He then smiled, and nodded his head in agreement to the words only he could hear.

- Today's wave is going to be big, i can feel it. The more you bring, the better. - Some more silence continued, and then Noid smile deepened, as he replied to the voice on the other side of the ball, before grabbing his sword and shield, and going outside.

- Be healthy and happy, my friend.

***

Thoren was making his way downwards, trying to avoid climbing down the cliff for as long as possible. His last attempts at climbing made him dead. He did not want to make that same mistake again. Scared of heights? Nonsense. He was merely taking an easier path, who could know who or what would await him in that hut he spotted. It was better to meet whatever it was while being full of energy, rather than drained from climbing. Yes, that sounds reasonable, doesn't it?

- Of course it does. - The voice in his head was growing more talkative every hour. The man shook his head at the thought of going crazy out here after repeatedly dying. Besides, he did not know if this was a side effect of meeting with Thaed, or the fact that he already died twice (thrice?), but the possibility of death did not bother him as much as before. Or maybe it was just the property of this cursed place? Who knows...

As this internal monologue continued, Thoren finally found a more or less safe path downwards, and soon stood in the green valley surrounded by cliffs. He looked up, and seeing that those accursed red clouds are getting closer and closer, he doubled his pace in an attempt to reach the hut he saw from above before that blood rain fell.

At this precise moment, he felt something itching on his skin, as a droplet of rain appeared on his hand, and immediately dissapeared, seemingly sucked in by his skin. By the time he looked, he saw just his hand. Then he felt another drop fall. And then another.

- Run. The rain... Not good for you. - Whispered the voice.

***

As soon as the first drops of rain started to fall, a glistening dome of bright green energy slowly started forming above the forest. The flow of power came from Noid, who raised both his hands high above his head. The dome was made of beautiful leafy motifs, but as soon as it was completed, it quickly turned transparent.

Noid stopped channeling his power as soon as the barrier was strong enough to protect his forest and home from demons. As always, he left the other half of the valley unprotected, so the demons would flock there, instead of possibly wandering into his peaceful forest. At the same moment, he felt a small tug on reality on his left, so he turned his head to the source of the intrusion.

What he saw was a familiar sight. A bright yellow circle, slowly expanding on itself to form a huge white portal with rainbow edges. Soon, a chariot pulled by two huge goats came out of the portal, and after it, dozens of warriors, dressed in animal skins and fine armor. The chariot stopped near Noid, and the person riding it jumped out. The intruder was a bearded man in his thirties, with long, fiery red hair, dressed in scale armor. On his back was a round, red shield. The man walked up to the gatekeeper, and looked him in the eyes, brows furrowed. Noid crossed his arms, and returned the stare. Suddenly, the air between them turned dense, and began crackling with energy, small sparks flying through the air. After a few seconds, as swiftly as the tension began, it dissipated, and both men started laughing and fell into each other's arms. After a short hug, they both took a step back, and shook hands.

- You look as good as ever, Noid! I hope we're not late? - Asked the red-haired man, a huge smile still visible on his face.

- Of course not. And I see you have brought more men this time. - Replied Noid, bearing a soft smile himself.

- Just as promised. - The man waved his hand, and his men began going to the grassland to prepare for incoming demons, talking with each other and joking about in the meantime. An atmosphere of old friends surrounded the soldiers. Soon however, the jokes went silent, as the few droplets of red rain that were falling from the sky swiftly turned into a cloudburst.

- By my shield and hammer, none shall escape our wrath today! Are you with me, Gatekeeper?

- You know full well I am, Goat. - Smiled Noid, unsheathing his sword. Seemingly in response, the other man clenched his hand, manifesting his weapon of choice, the aforementioned hammer, into existence. Soon however, they heard a scream of one of the warriors as they neared the front line.

- By the gods, there is someone in the rain!

A small figure was running in their direction, and despite the distance, their screams of pain could already be heard.

- I'll need five men! Quickly! - Screamed Noid, creating another barrier over himself, ready to go into the rain.

- There's no time, get in! - Goat was already inside the carriage, with two archers positioning themselves inside. The carriage had an inherent barrier, so they would be protected from the rain, and get to the running person faster. The gatekeeper wasted no time, quickly climbing inside, and shortly after they rode into the rain.

***

Thoren ran, even though every step burned his feet. He ran, even though every breath was painful, and every time a droplet sunk into his skin, he felt his thoughts becoming more and more disarrayed. Even the voice in his head, urging him to run faster and faster had stopped. That, or his hearing finally gave out. Not really knowing when, the man found himself on the ground. Soft, muddy ground. With heavy eyes, he looked up, at the house that was just a few hundred steps ahead. He'll just rest a bit here, and then go. There's no shame in resting a little, is there?

Moments before he finally gave in, the chariot arrived next to the young man, and a ray of holy light instantly hit him, purifying the demonic influence. Noid quickly cast a barrier around the area, and one of the archers helped Thoren up, as the red-haired man walked up and patted him on the shoulder.

- Hey, you alright? Good. - When the man they saved nodded, and his eyes focused, Goat smiled and handed him a silver sword, then turned to his men and Noid. - We have to fight here, my chariot was dispelled by the rain.

- Goat, we both know full well that your chariot cannot be dispelled. You just want to have all the fun for yourself. - Said Noid, holding a hand to his head, as if the redheaded man was giving him a headache.

- Of course i do. - The man laughed loudly.

Noid looked at Goat. Goat was not a gatekeeper, nor was he a human. He was one of the Ravens. And even though he shared their characteristics, he was not truly like them. As evidenced by the fact that they were able to become friends. Goat did not think of anybody as below himself, and he always tried to give people a chance.

And as the sound of the rain subsided, and was replaced with the sound of mist slowly rising from the wet ground, Goat's smile became crooked, almost ecstatic. He turned his head to look at Thoren, who was weighing the sword in his hand. When he felt the god's eyes on himself, and turned to face him, Goat nodded once again, and strapped the shield from his back onto his arm.

- Do try to keep up, human. - He said, his hammer already sparking in anticipation. - Ready men! We are marching to join the rest of the troops! FOR VALHALLA!!!

Three voices joined him in the scream, and soon, a fourth, a bit confused, but full of spirit joined in too. The mist around them started taking shapes of various monsters, some small, some big, some soft and others heavily armored. They heard someone amidst the men they left by the hut giving out orders, and soon, a similar shout could be heard from the other side.

This was going to be a bloodbath.

0