Chapter 97: Honor of a Dragon Knight
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 97: Honor of a Dragon Knight

Amphere Harrison

I gently closed my eyelids, a desperate attempt to hold back the tears welling up within me. The biting cold around me was no match for the searing emotional turmoil that threatened to consume me. The relentless wind provided some solace, its friction offering an unusual source of warmth that could rival a first-degree burn. I had become impervious to the harshness of the outside world.

My sole preoccupation was the love of my life, the one who had, yet again, sacrificed herself to ensure my safety, possibly for the last time. The Necross Ascension and Dragonoid Rights Law, once paramount in my mind, now seemed utterly inconsequential. I would willingly trade all my hard-won achievements for the chance to glimpse her presence, even if just for the briefest of moments.

Somehow, I found myself back on the planet's surface, miraculously unscathed, devoid of broken bones or injuries. Airi's parting gift, the shield plate she had bestowed upon me, must have been forged with extraordinary resilience, allowing it to withstand the punishing forces of atmospheric reentry and impact. Lying within the center of a massive crater, I remained still, not daring to move.

As the sun timidly crept above the horizon, heralding the arrival of a new day, I struggled to make out any remnants of the colossal demonic cathedral or the destruction it had wrought. Yet, I had a faint inkling that I was close to the southern Arcadian camp we had infiltrated the previous night.

With closed eyes, I conjured Airi's face in my mind, letting her voice echo through my thoughts. An avalanche of memories and flashbacks overwhelmed me, and I clutched the handkerchief she had used every day to charm and appear endearing to me. Even her habit of tacking on the superfluous word "totally" to her sentences, once an annoyance, now seemed a melody I longed to hear again.

"Are you totally okay?"

Slowly, I pried my heavy eyelids open. At first, my vision was a hazy blur, but gradually, the world came into focus. Before me was the countenance of a young girl, her innocent features reminiscent of Airi. Yet, it wasn't Airi; it was Duchess Corasell. She rushed to my side and gently grasped my arm.

"W-Where is Airelina?" The Duchess's voice quivered with concern.

Hearing Airi's name uttered aloud felt like a fresh wound, and I struggled to contain my emotions. My eyes welled up again, tears flowing freely down my cheeks. I attempted to shield my face with my arm, but my anguish was not lost on the Duchess. She too wept silently, her forehead coming to rest on my chest.

In that moment, we shared a brief, unspoken mourning for Airi. I had lost track of time, but when the tears finally ceased, Duchess Corasell encouraged me to stand. I accepted her outstretched hand, though my body felt weak and unsteady. Speaking was an effort, and my eyes remained blurry with every movement. I had lost my sense of smell and touch, and my shoulders weighed down like lead.

"I saw you crash into this place after your battle with the planetary demonic dragon," Duchess Corasell explained softly. "I'm deeply sorry I couldn't arrive sooner."

I replied, my voice heavy with sorrow, "…It's not your fault… It's no one's."

As we climbed out of the crater, my gaze fell upon Estoff, Elumina, and Rudolf, each resting on a withered tree. Estoff and Elumina clutched each other's hands, while Rudolf found solace in Kyrie's embrace. They appeared as if they were there, yet not fully present, surrounded by ethereal particles that whispered one undeniable truth – their time in this world had reached its end.

"…I'm sorry... I don't have enough tears to mourn for you three again…" I managed to say, forcing a feeble smile.

Elumina's voice, though weak, reached me. "You don't have to appear happy in front of us. We returned to the world of the living just to help you prevent Necross Ascension. That is our only purpose."

Bowing my head while tightly clenching my hand, I admitted, "I finally understand what you felt that day, Estoff. I...I honestly wanted to kill myself, just to meet her again."

Rudolf swiftly intervened. "Don't. The reason why Airi sacrificed herself is for you to keep on living and to have a good and peaceful life! She wouldn't want you to see suffering like this! If you kill yourself, that means Airi's sacrifice was in vain."

Estoff's voice was filled with wisdom. "She saved you, and don't you dare waste your life on foolish matters. Live your life to the fullest, Hero of Alterra."

Suddenly, their bodies began to emit a radiant golden light. Gradually, they dissolved into golden dust particles, merging with the swirling winds. Kyrie, left behind by her husband for the second time, wore a genuine smile as she approached me.

"We will keep on living," she said softly, her voice filled with determination. "That's our duty as the ones who were left behind."

Kyrie's strength waned, and she collapsed into my arms, her consciousness slipping away. I noticed the fatigue in her eyes, the pallor of her face, and a faint trace of mana surrounding her. Could this be the side effect of overloading the Vesryn Pulse?

From the Duchess's pocket emerged a firefly, which then transformed into a humanoid, fairy-cosplaying child – Eva. She attempted to explain the situation to me, her tiny form brimming with significance.

"All the dragonoids in the Task Force suffered the same thing. It seems that they had their strength fully drained. We shall now go back to the S.S. Libera to treat your wounds," Eva explained urgently.

However, just as Duchess Corasell was about to activate the Vesryn Pulse to return us to safety, a deafening gunshot rang out, echoing through the desolate landscape. We swiveled our heads to see that we were entirely surrounded, confronted by a sea of Arcadians. Their rifles were trained on us, and many drew their swords, poised to charge.

"I thought the war was already over," I muttered, disbelief lacing my words.

"Our war ends with you," declared one of the Arcadians, venom dripping from his voice. "You are the most treacherous snake, a blight that should never have existed! You killed Estoff Wraith! You ordered Brow Gattling to massacre dragonoids! You murdered Duke Yuri Dragunov! And finally…You used Airelina Frembell, your dragonoid, as your pawn and a convenient sacrifice! The Underworld will not even open its gates for you because of the filth you have wrought!"

"You're wrong!" Duchess Corasell cried out, tears welling in her eyes. "Amphere is a good person! He…He would never do any of those things!"

But it was futile. The Arcadians were beyond reasoning, their minds poisoned by Dragunov's lies. Hatred had taken root, and once that happened, people were willing to believe whatever justified their sense of justice.

"They only want me, Marie," I whispered to the duchess. "Even with Eva's help, you'll only end up getting hurt or worse."

"B-But-"

From my pocket, I retrieved a small hexagonal box and gently placed it in the Duchess's trembling hands. She looked at it in puzzlement, her voice quivering as she asked, "Is this the ring that was supposed to be given to Airelina?"

I nodded, a genuine smile on my face. "Yes. I want you to keep it, for Airi's and my sake."

Tears welled up in Marieflorine Corasell's eyes as she struggled to find words. "W-What are you planning to do?"

"I'll stall them," I replied firmly. "Meet with General Holster and Cleru and escape from this place. The Arcadians only want me."

"I-I won't-"

"GO!!!" I shouted, urgency lacing my voice. The Duchess closed her eyes in shock, and when she opened them, her gaze bore into mine. "Hold onto that ring. I promise you, I'll come back to retrieve it."

"Just promise me one thing…" The Duchess's voice quivered even more, as if she were on the brink of tears. "Promise me that you'll come back alive."

"I promise," I assured her, patting her head gently.

Once I removed my hand, she took a slow step back and activated Vesryn Pulse on Eva. Riding her Fairy Dragon, she carefully carried the unconscious Kyrie and gained altitude as she dashed away until even the dragon's silhouette vanished.

As I had suspected, the Arcadians didn't aim their guns at her; they let her escape. She was their symbol of freedom and had done nothing wrong to the dragonoids and Arcadia. All they wanted was my head in the first place.

Their collective attention fixated on me, and their anger radiated from their crimson eyes. Though slightly intimidated, I reached behind me, drawing my remaining blue photon sword. Gently, I pressed my lips against the flat blade, kissed by destiny. Closing my eyes, I welcomed the serenity of the wind.

This could very well be my final battle—the real one. No Vesryn Pulse, no Eye of Deus, no clearance systems, no magical powers... and, most painfully, no Airelina Frembell. I was just an ordinary human now, a knight burdened with a tarnished name and legacy. In the eyes of the dragonoids I had once fought for, I was no hero. Here, I stood, utterly alone, facing thousands of enemies.

"Airi...please let me feel your heart one last time. Please protect me once more. Guard my honor...as a Dragon Knight!"

With a resolute heart, I opened my eyes and readied my sword. With determination, I charged into the fray, facing the overwhelming tide of adversaries.

 

0