► Episode 01
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

► France - Bordeaux ◄

► 3 years ago ◄

" - Okay ! Can you tell me three of your strengths and three of your weaknesses ? "

" - I'm sorry ? "

I look at her in surprise. With all my job interviews, this is the first time someone has asked me this.

" - It's simple! Just tell me your strengths and weaknesses ? "

" - Um...of course ! "

I give her an embarrassed smile. I am already stressed, and mentioning my weaknesses is not going to help.

"- Well... "

Come on, Rhéane! You can do it. I'll start with my flaws, so I can end with my skills. That's a good plan.

"- For my weaknesses, I would say that I am someone who is...ambitious. I know that for some people it's not a weakness. But for me, it is. I am someone who likes to aim higher. So...I would put 'ambitious' both as a strength and a weakness."

"- Okay, noted...and then ? "

"- Well, sometimes I'm anxious..."

"- Ah !"

I can see the disappointment in her eyes.

" - But... "

She refocuses her attention on me.

" - Little by little, I manage my anxieties. If I get this job, don't worry. "

Shut up, Rhéane! You're going to mess everything up again.

" - You won't have any problems with me on that side! "

She observes me for a few moments before jotting down some notes on her paper. I'm so apprehensive that I can hear my heart beating loudly.

" - I see... And your third flaw ? "

" - To be honest, I'm a rather shy person, but despite my fears, I know how to be reasonable. Which, by the way, is a good transition to my second quality. "

" - Which is? "

" - I'm a hard worker. You can't find anyone better than me. When I work, I give it my all... And... "

" - That's enough! "

" - Sorry ? But I haven't finished... "

" - That's enough for me ! "

The woman keeps jotting things down on her document. I raise my head a bit to try to read it.

" - Well ! "

She lifts her head and I smile at her.

" - Why do you think you're suited for this secretary position ? "

" - I... "

Not this question again! I'm tired of hearing the same question over and over.

" - Why ? "

I put my bag on the floor and stand up. I place both hands on her desk. She looks at me, surprised."

" - Why ? Let me tell you. It's very simple. You know as well as I do that I'm made for this position. But you're like all the other recruiters. You ask questions that make no sense. What are your weaknesses? I'm sure you've already noted the weaknesses that are acceptable to you. And we have a one in a hundred chance of being hired. Oh yes ! The cover letter. Let's talk about it. "

I stand up completely and start pacing back and forth.

" - What's the point of bothering to write a cover letter if no one reads it ? We all know that 95% of recruiters never read a cover letter. And some even throw it in the trash. What does it matter to you to lose just one minute of your time? After all, we waste much more than thirty minutes with your meaningless questions. My time is just as valuable as yours. But unlike you, I make the effort to prepare for this interview. Something you only did halfway by not reading it. Because if you had read it, even for a moment, you would have all the answers to your questions."

She looks at me stunned. I grab my bag and start heading towards the door.

" - Well, have a good day."

I turn around and leave the room. I take a deep breath.

" - Miss! Miss! Are you listening to me ? "

I jump and find myself face to face with the recruiter.

" - I... Excuse me, I had a moment of absent-mindedness."

" - That's what they all say... Especially those who have nothing to say."

I look at her, frowning. She keeps taking notes. I clench my fist and decide to stand up. She stops writing and looks at me again.

"- What are you doing ? "

She continues to observe me while also frowning.

"- I want to thank you for this rather constructive exchange. But... it's time for me to leave."

"- I beg your pardon ? "

"- We both know that you would never have taken me. And that was clear from our first exchange."

"- This is absolute nonsense ! "

"- No, it's just the truth. Without realizing it, you left clues. To be honest, every time you looked at me, you looked from bottom to top, except when you asked me your questions. To show that you know your subject. Then, you keep hiding your mouth, a sign of lying. But also your breathing, your breath is becoming increasingly rapid, which can be a factor of stress. And your gaze... Since we came in, your gaze just wants to leave this place. There are many other factors, but I prefer to stop here. And especially to stop wasting your time. "

Throughout my speech, I noticed her face decomposing.

"- Thank you for our exchange anyway. And I wish you a good day. "

I take my bag and leave the office, taking care to close the door. I observe the other candidates carefully and head towards the exit. It's only outside that I realize what I just did. My heart beating fast, I try to take a deep breath and start tapping my foot.

"- What an idiot ! "

I take my head in my hands. I really had to decide to speak up.

"- No wonder I never find a job ! "

After going through so many interviews, I've learned to read recruiters. I've never done this before, until today. I notice the looks of some passersby.

"- Do you want my picture ? "

They disperse, leaving comments in passing.

"- She's completely crazy ! "

"- She probably didn't pass her interview, anyway, did you notice how she is ? "

"- She's pathetic ! "

It's rather you who is pathetic. I sigh with annoyance. For some reason, I feel like I'm being watched. I pay attention and notice that the recruiter is watching me from the window. She scares me. I hurry to leave. I walk without knowing where I'm going. Once again, I've failed. It has become a habit. I wonder when my life will finally take a new turn. Initially, I chose the job of secretary, but I have other ambitions. Unfortunately, I'll never make it. I'm destined to live a life that I'll never be proud of. At 26, I've never been so lost in my life as I am now. Especially when I see those people who succeed at everything. I've never felt so empty inside. I know I shouldn't think like this. But it's stronger than me, I feel like I'm failing at life. And that I have to live a life that will never make me happy. Without realizing it, my legs have carried me to my favorite café. I head towards the stairs and sit on one of them. I start massaging my temples and try to think about what's next."

" - Tired ? "

I startle with surprise and look up at the person in question. I notice that it's my best friend: Mathieu. He is also the manager of the café. I give him a small smile.

" - Let's just say I've had better days ! "

" - I see... Here ! "

I notice that he's holding a can of coke in his hand.

" - Oh, thank you! I'll pay you back. "

" - No! It's not necessary. It's a gift from the house. "

"- Are you sure ? "

"- Yes, after all, how many times have you come to get a coke or water from me ? You're one of the few customers who buys them from me. Usually, customers order more alcohol. "

" - Thanks again. "

I take the can and he sits down next to me.

" - So ? "

" - What ? " I ask him.

" - How did your interview go ? "

" - ... How... did you... "

" - Let's just say it shows on your face easily. "

He looks at me amused.

" - Well... you can take out a cake. "

" - Did you get the job ? "

I could see the joy on his face.

" - No, unfortunately. But today, we can celebrate the fact that it was my 50th . "

He looks at me surprised.

" - Wait! We're already at the 50th ? "

" - ... Yes ! "

I sigh again and look up to the sky.

" - Well... When I say unfortunately, I would rather say fortunately. "

" - Why ? What happened ? "

" - I noticed, as soon as she came to get me, that she wasn't going to hire me. I still played along. But at the last moment... I wondered what I was doing there. So, I left. "

" - I see... You did the right thing, although if I were in your place, I would have stayed at least until the end. "

I observe him for a moment before looking back up to the sky.

" - I was too lazy to waste her time as much as mine. Anyway, it's over now. "

" - What are you going to do now ? "

" - Well, as always, I'll be looking for job ads online, hoping to find something. "

" - It's good that you mention it... I have something to propose to you. "

I observe him with attention.

" - I know you're looking for a job in your field, but... If you need a job right away, I can offer you to work with me. Of course, you won't earn as much as a secretary... "

I look at him with a big smile.

" - Really ? "

" - Of course, since I'm offering it to you. Of course, you'll work either in the morning or in the afternoon. And every Friday, you'll organize your schedule for the following week with your colleagues. That'll give you time to find a better job. "

" - Thank you so much, Mathieu ! "

I hug him.

" - You're welcome! Does it work for you to start working tomorrow ? "

" - It's perfect for me ! "

" - Perfect ! Then come with me. We'll talk about your contract, and I'll take the opportunity to introduce you to your future colleagues. "

" - Very well ! "

I smile at him and follow him inside.

***

► United States - Los Angeles◄

► LAX Airport ◄

A woman in her thirties exits Los Angeles airport and heads towards a taxi with her suitcase. She opens the door.

"Hello ! Can you take me to the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center ? " she asks.

"No problem, ma'am," replies the man, also in his thirties, as he takes the woman's suitcase and puts it in the trunk.

He gets inside the car and starts driving towards the hospital. The woman looks at her phone and takes a deep breath. The driver glances at her before returning his attention to the road.

"Are you visiting family ?" he asks.

The woman looks at the driver for a moment before turning her attention back to her phone.

"No. Let's just say I'm taking care of a kid who had an acciden." 

"I hope it's nothing serious !" the driver remarks.

"We'll see when we get there !" she responds nonchalantly. "Anyway, I just came to see how long he needs to stay there."

"I see," the driver nods.

After several minutes, the taxi arrives at its destination. The woman pays the fare, and the man takes her suitcase out of the trunk.

"Would you like me to wait for you ? "

She looks at him before giving him a small smile.

"No thanks ! Anyway, I don't know how long I'll have to stay. But thanks anyway."

"You're welcome ! And I sincerely hope he's okay."

"That's kind of you for him."

She thanked him again. Then she turns around, her smile erased, and heads inside the hospital. She heads towards the reception.

"Hello!"

"Hello! How can I assist you ?"

"I would like to know where Seo Joon Kim's room is."

A doctor stops talking upon hearing the latter's name. And looks at this woman with a questioning look.

"Are you a family member ?" the receptionist asks her.

"No ! I'm his manager: Cho Kang. I came all the way from Korea when one of your colleagues called me."

"Alright !"

The doctor approaches the manager slowly.

"Miss Cho ?"

The latter turns to the doctor.

"Yes ?"

"I am the doctor in charge of Mr. Kim. Come with me, I will take you to him."

"Thank you !"

She turns to the receptionist.

"Thank you, too !"

"You're welcome !"

She walks with the doctor towards Seo Joon's room.

"You see, when he came here... he was in a bad state. We managed to stabilize him. Today, his condition is stable, but he remains in a coma. I don't know yet when he will wake up. It can last a day, a week, or even a month. It will only depend on him."

"I see... That's rather troublesome !"

She puts her hand on her head while looking at the floor.

" - What for ?"

" - Well... He absolutely must be there for the performance. It's even critical."

The doctor looks at her with furrowed brows.

" - Did you understand what I just told you ?"

She looks at the doctor.

" - Yes, I understood perfectly. But that's a problem."

The doctor looks at her sternly.

" - In any case, he won't be able to do anything. The most important thing is that Mr. Kim wakes up. Only then can we know how long he will have to stay off duty."

" - ...Alright. I'll talk to my agency right away. Thank you, doctor."

" - Don't you want to see him ?"

" - No, it's okay ! If he's in a coma, it's not very useful to see him. Thank you anyway."

She leaves immediately with her phone in hand. The doctor watches her go.

" - Strange manager."

He furrows his brows and heads to Seo Joon's room. He opens the door and checks the idol's health.

" - Ah ! Your manager came and left as quickly as she arrived. To be honest, she's strange. As a man's advice, you should change your agency. Well, from what I see, there's nothing to report. I'll come to see you in a few hours. Hoping to see you wake up."

Before leaving, he leaves the papers and closes the door before going to see another patient. In the meantime, the manager is on the phone in one of the hospital corridors.

"- So what do we do ?" the person on the phone asks.

"We do what we planned to do. We can't cancel now," the manager replies.

"Technically, we could," the person suggests.

"No way. I've put too much of my energy into this concert." the manager insists.

"But people will question the absence of one of the members." the person points out.

"It doesn't matter. We'll explain that he had to take a break due to an accident. But we won't say anything about his coma."

"And what about the other members of the group ?" the person asks.

"We'll tell them the truth, but they'll go see him after they finish their duties,"

"You know it's not very loyal to do that,"

"I don't care. Whether Kim is there or not, it doesn't make much of a difference."

"..."

"Now that you know, do everything to make the concert go smoothly. And especially without any problems. My reputation is at stake. I remind you that I am not only the manager but also the director of this agency. Do you understand ?"

"Yes."

"Okay, talk to you later."

The manager hangs up the phone and heads towards the secretariat. The door of one of the rooms opens to reveal the doctor. He crosses his arms and watches her leave.

"Interesting," he mutters, before closing the door and heading towards another room.

***

► France - Bordeaux  ◄

I finally arrived at home, or rather at my parents' home. After a disastrous morning, I finally found a job thanks to my best friend. I look down on my contract. It may not be a permanent position in the secretariat area, but it’s better than nothing. In addition, I will start tomorrow. At least this way, my mother will leave me alone for a while. I sigh and open the door and, as I expected, my mother is already there. Seeing her, I sigh again. She looks at me.

"Why are you sighing ?" she asked.

"For nothing! oh, by the way, I have finally found a job, but as a waitress. And I begin tomorrow."

"Well, it’s about time !"

"Excuse me, I’d like to go and rest. See you later."

I don’t even look at it and I go to my room. I put down my bag and the contract, and I fall on the bed like a ton of bricks. My face buried in the pillow.

"I am tired !" said I.

I turn around and look at the ceiling.

"Why can’t I have an exciting life ?"

I rub my face and sit down. I take the remote and turn on the TV. After a few seconds, the news comes on.

"What happens now ?"

And I’m still watching the ceiling.

"Today we have more information about the death of Korean-American actor Aiden White."

I look down at the TV and sit.

"- According to the police officers in charge of the investigation, the actor, whose real name is Aiden Cheonwoo White, did indeed commit suicide. He left a note admitting to having killed someone before taking his own life. We still do not know the identity of the victim. The police are refusing to give their name. Three days ago, this announcement shocked many fans around the world. The investigation is still ongoing... We will come back to you when we have more information."

Without realizing it, a tear runs down my cheek. Why? I wipe my face and look at the photo of this actor. I don't know him. I have never seen him in my life. So why... I feel so bad. I can't stop crying. Usually, when an actor I like dies, I don't cry so much. So why does my heart keep shouting for a perfect stranger? I think I'm sick?

"That's it ! I'm sick, there's no other solution."

I try to pull myself together, but I can't. I'm really not normal. I move closer and look at his photo. Plus, I'm crying for a potential criminal. Yes, I am absolutely not normal.

"... Aiden White !"

"Yes ?"

I jump and look next to me. And notice with surprise a man sitting on my bed. I observe him for a moment before falling to the ground.

"Ah !" I cry out in surprise.

0