Chapter Ten: Stone Wall
59 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location: Stone Wall Village

Six Months Later

Dark smoke clouds the sky, as the noise from a singular large factory booms across the small, desolate village. A large stone wall closes them off to the rest of the world. Small cottages are spaced across the withering field, filled with metal scraps and the bodies of animals that have passed on. Stone Wall Village. The most depressing area that resides in the far east of Reekwood's territory. A place often compared to a dump or a cemetery. A young boy exits one of the many cottages. His overalls appear too baggy for his small frame, and his jumper that he wears underneath, seems to swallow him whole. Hid brown boots trudged across the muddy ground as the wind threatened to knock his flat cap off his head. His green eyes looked up into the sky, a small smile forming on his face. A single front tooth is missing. His fair cheeks flare up a red colour from the harsh cold breeze. His messy mop of blonde hair, blowing in different directions. The pilot goggles resting around his neck, swayed side to side as he walked up the hill. His destination. The small chapel that stood on top of that hill. He brought his gloved hand to his nose, rubbing away the watery snot running down. He was almost there. The young boy finally reached the top of the hill, and greeted the nun standing there.

"Morning, Sister Marie." He says to her with a grin. His hands inches toward the door handle. Sister Marie turned around to face him. Her blue eye sparkled as she returned his greeting.

"Morning Alec. How's your mother?" Alec gave a thumbs up.

"She's been better since you provided the remedy. I really can't thank you enough." He laughed. The two exchanged a few more words before they head inside. Alas, Alec was at bliss when the warmth of the chapel reached him. Everyone from the village was chatting amongst themselves. Alec wasn't interested in the food, or the chatter his people were indulging in. No, he was interested in the job board at the far end of the chapel's hall. He rushed toward there, greeting everyone along the way and answering the questions about his mother. When Alec reached the job board, his eyes immediately darted for the request he sent out to the neighbouring guilds, and if anyone answered.

His heart sank at every rejection from the top guild, only to lift back up when the Black Bandit had agreed to take the jobs. This was the first time someone had answered since he started sending requests half a year ago. He did a cheeky little dance, his grin widening. The pastor looked at the boys, his eyes covered by the shades, but a small smile was sprawled out across his face. Their prayers were answered in some form, and he silently thanked Alec for his persistence. Stone Wall Village will finally see peace and prosperity once again.

__________________________________

Location: The Black Bandit Guild.

Rubi, Cordelia, Calcious and Zoey were all standing in Zion's office. Zoey was one of the three mages that resided within the guild. She was the tallest in the room. Her lanky figure complimented the black and hot pink lolita styled dress she wore. Her dark purple hair was styled in long butterfly locs. Her sharp, cat-like orange eyes darted around the room, as her platformed heeled boots impatiently tapped the ground. The sunlight coming through the office window gave her dark skinned complexion a golden hue. Her long cloud earring jiggled as her turned.

"I've brought you all today to hand over a mission to you." The group stood up straight. Rubi fixed her tracksuit, that some adjustment made to it by Anne. For example, she had a cool new horned skull engulfed in flames, with her name in white bold. Her horns finally grew out in an even shape, her body mass slightly increased with more training.

"First things first," Zion spoke out. "Congratulations Rubi, on completing your tenth mission and the final stages of training. You've proven yourself to be just as capable as any old guild member." Rubi thanked everyone, blushing at the standing ovation she received. She had proven herself in the last six months, and also racked up a nice amount of money to spend on things she wanted. She had finally grown accustomed to life in Athera, especially Cyanne City. The young girl was practically friends with everyone in the guild, except for the white haired snot of a man. Her attention was brought back down to Athera when Zion placed a job request sheet down on his table.

The four guild members moved closer to take a better look at it. Calcious icy blue eyes scanned the text written in bold.

STONE WALL NEEDS YOUR HELP!

"Isn't Stone Wall Village the new grounds for Axe Hat's Guild factory for creating magic tools?" Zoey asked, her voice was silky yet had a little raspiness to it. Zion nodded, tapping the reward.

"There's none." Cordelia pointed out. "We're actually doing a job for free?" She asked, giving her guild master a long hard look. Zion nodded again. Rubi looked over the flyer, analysing the photograph. The place looked depressing. The trees lacked leaves, and the bones surrounding the cottages sent a chill up her spine. If there's one thing she had learnt about the guild and her guild master. It was that, they never did anything for free. Why was this any different?

"Doesn't the council throw out jobs if there's no reward? They all know not to go to guilds with those kind of requests." Calcious said, confused.

"I asked for the job to be taken." The group turned their head around in the direction of the voice. It was an elder lady with long flowing grey hair, wearing a black robe with a large x necklace hanging low from her neck. "I've decided to pay for it, instead of the young boy who had sent it. I'll also be accompanying you to Stone Wall." She spoke, her voice grew tired, and her expression became sullen with grief.

"I know I shouldn't be mixing personal with business, but I truly need this favour, and I'm at my ropes end with this." Zoey looked her up and down, then at her master.

"Why would a Antiquan council member need our help. Isn't the great five meant to answer your prayers." She pressed. The old woman lifted her cane and pointed at the girl.

"How foolish. It'll be far too embarrassing to waste their time with such a trivial matter. I thought this guild would suffice." She concluded, fixing her robe.

"You've tried the other guilds and they rejected the job." Rubi spoke up, and from the woman's reaction, she was right.

"They all have business ties with the Axe Hat Guild. And the factory being there, serves their best interest." The councillor explained.

"The magic tool market has seen a boom in the last two years." Zion explained, crossing his arms over his chest. He was wary, but Councillor Tobias was the only one who ever treated him with somewhat respect.

"That means we're going to piss off a lot of people." Rubi stated, shrugging her shoulders and looking back at Zion.

"How much is the reward anyways?" Calcious enquired, placing a hand on his hip.

"Two million moonies." Their jaws dropped as they stared at the woman with bulging eyes. Silence befell them, before......

"WE"RE TAKING THE JOB!"

 

3