Volume 3 Chapter 24: A decision with a simple intention but endless repercussions
254 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Derisha Teigitan)

[Dog House]

With its wooden furniture, simple decor, and dim lighting, the peaceful atmosphere of this place is evident to everyone who steps foot inside. The [Dog House] has quickly become a beloved spot for many, myself included.

"Ah, you're back."

"Welcome back..."

Entering through the front door is a brown-haired boy who seems to always be wearing a confident smile on his face.

And there was a female elf with a somewhat dejected and helpless expression following right behind him. Her name was Barella, but she didn't quite like being called that by anyone other than Walson.

It's now evening, and darkness is about to descend.

"...Walson, goodnight, Aure, goodnight," says Grace, who is sitting beside me—I hope I didn't get her name wrong.

"Goodnight, master," Melon immediately stands up and bows to Walson.

Walson's return injects life into the once somewhat quiet [Dog House].

Before he came back, both Melon and Grace were in a peculiar state.

Grace sat on the couch, continuously writing something on a book, while Melon quietly rearranged the [Dog House]'s furnishings.

But the only common point was that both of them wore extremely happy smiles. Even from a distance, one could sense an aura of romance surrounding them.

Something good must have happened during today's school festival.

...If only I didn't have to rush to report the results of the investigation regarding Philip Rex.

...Well, it's all in the past now.

While waiting, I took a bath and started maintaining the [Anti-Melon Spear Prototype 1.0]... even though this weapon doesn't need any maintenance at all.

This spear was made with a solid alloy that withstands my magical power and allows me to unleash my full strength without any damage. This weapon was created using technology that surpasses the top craftsmen of Teigitan by several hundred years.

...Hmm, this reminds me of my recent blunder.

My sister, Deloria, married Duke Lux, who owned an area primarily focused on mining activities.

As a result, Deloria has knowledge of metal appraisal and is well-versed in forging and alloys.

After the [Anti-Melon Spear Prototype 1.0] was discovered, Nina and Deloria questioned me.

In the end, I had to admit that it was a gift from someone, but I didn't mention Walson's name and requested confidentiality...

Later, they asked many more questions about Walson's character and so on.

"Since he's a gentle and powerful person, even though I don't know his name, Risha, make sure you don't let him get away. You must marry him!" Deloria said that in the end.

But... this is a misunderstanding. Walson doesn't have such feelings for me... Thinking like this, my chest feels heavy and uncomfortable.

Hmm... marrying Walson... If I really followed my older sister's advice and did that, then what would Melon and Grace say to me?

They both wear engraved bracelets, symbolizing their commitment to each Walson... If I were to wear one too, as a princess, I would undoubtedly become... a legal wife... At that time, how would they react?

They would be angry, right?

I want to maintain a good relationship with them. I've always had this feeling of wanting to be their companion, to be their friend... Now, a sense of regret arises in my heart.

Why... Did I have to leave the party? If I had pretended to forget about it when we came out of the labyrinth... Well, at this point...

Holding the dagger in my hand, my emotions are in turmoil.

This dagger values decoration more than practical use.

...In the kingdom of Teigitan, in noble weddings, when the groom presents a weapon to the bride, if the bride returns a dagger, it signifies the establishment of the marriage.

Looking at the dagger, then at my empty left wrist, the pain in my chest intensifies...

Lately, I've been experiencing this kind of situation frequently. Am I catching a cold?

My sister told me that fools don't catch colds, and I think that's true, since I rarely do...

I'm struggling in my heart. After leaving the bathroom, when I see Grace preparing supper for everyone, including my portion, the inner struggle intensifies even more.

"Well then, the room on the far left of the third floor is yours. Go and check it out yourself, hehe."

Walson said this to Aure.

"Please, Miss Aure." After Walson said that, Melon immediately stood by the stairs and bowed, prepared to guide her.

"Wait, I... I'll go together..." When the two of them went upstairs, Grace also followed.

They get along well.

...Now, there's only me and Walson on the first floor.

"Oh Risha, there you are. Goodnight," Walson said, yawning as he walked into the guest room.

"Did you have fun today?" I casually asked Walson.

"It was fun, but I'm tired. How about you? Where did you go today?" he replied.

"I was investigating the Philip Rex case, but I didn't find any leads," I said with a hint of frustration.

"I see... Even though you're a princess, you always prioritize the safety of the people," Walson pondered for a moment, then picked up a glass and poured himself some brandy from a large barrel.

Then, he handed me a glass.

"You've been working hard," he said, still yawning, but his gentle demeanor made me feel warm, even in the winter.

Being treated like this... my heart inexplicably flutters.

"Hey," I spoke up, and with a thought, I tossed the short sword to Walson.

"Hmm? What's this?" he asked.

"A token of gratitude for you," I said.

"A token of gratitude?" he questioned.

"Didn't you give me a weapon? This is my way of saying thank you," I explained.

"Oh... thank you. It's a really beautiful dagger," he said, still sleepy.

"Don't... don't just look at it like that! It has great value, you know!" I retorted.

Normally, every noble daughter in the Kingdom of Teigitan receives this short sword when they are born. It is then given as a gift when an engagement is arranged.

I became a princess at the age of ten, so I also received this sword.

It is made of [Mithril], with a handle made of [Millenium Fairy Wood], engraved with my name and the Teigitan family crest.

[Millenium Fairy Wood] is a high-quality material, but the one used for this dagger is even more exquisite than that...

Uh, well, it does have value. It is a... proof of engagement... for a princess.

"Um... thanks," Walson said.

"You mentioned before that you might become a traveling merchant in the future, right? With this, you can bypass queues and receive VIP treatment when traveling between cities," I continued.

It bears my name and the Teigitan family crest, as well as a magic that cannot be forged.

If you show this at the city gate... not only will you skip the line, but you will also be treated as a VIP.

...Although originally, it wasn't meant for this purpose.


If you want to see 10 chapters ahead of this one for free, go to this link, However, if you want to see more chapters in advance than this 10, you can just click my Patreon or Ko-Fi it's 50 Chapters ahead!

12