Volume 3 Chapter 33: The Royalty and a Clever Snake
103 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Derisha Teigitan)

Today, the snow that rarely ever appears in Teigitan has finally stopped raining down into the city.

The pristine white snow reflected the setting sun in the clear sky. Carrying the fruits of today's battles, our footprints extended to the front of the Adventurers' Guild.

"Miss Derisha, good day to you, how can I assist you today?" The receptionist at counter number seven greeted me upon my arrival... What was her name again?

While pretending to remember her name, I waved my hand and approached the counter. I glanced at her name tag on her chest swiftly... Alice Illyas, oh right, her name was Alice.

She was dressed in a leather vest and a white robe, with chestnut-colored hair and a notebook always held close to her chest—a typical receptionist attire.

Well, not entirely typical, as she was missing the standard receptionist boots, considering she didn't have any feet.

...Alice was the only Lamia settled in the capital city of Teigitan.

"You forgot my name again, didn't you? Don’t think I didn't notice the way your gaze swiftly moved to my chest.”Alice stared at me with her usual sharp gaze, her brown snake tail swaying behind her.

Every time I forgot her name, she would give me that kind of intense glare.

"Hehe~ Sorry~"

"It's been six years! Six years! And you still can't remember my name! Even though I've been handling your business for so long..." Alice seemed visibly angry.

Yes, that's right. Ever since I escaped from the royal palace and became an adventurer on my fifteenth birthday, Alice has been in charge of handling my affairs.

In that aspect, we were the same. I was her first client... We both didn't start in the capital city but met in the town of Nonokuta.

After two years working as an adventurer in Nonokuta, doing various missions one after another, I reached Rank S and returned to the capital city. For some reason, Alice appeared here shortly after my return.

It was said that after I left, she immediately went to obtain a higher-level receptionist license. She passed various difficult tests, transferred the adventurers she had previously signed in Nonokuta, and came to the Adventurers' Guild headquarters in the capital city... all of that just to handle my affairs.

I don't know why, but she seemed quite attached to me. When I came back to the capital city, there was a new receptionist, but after going on a subjugation mission, the receptionist turned back into Alice.

Although a receptionist's salary is closely related to the adventurers they handle, with higher-ranked adventurers earning more commissions, it shouldn't be to the extent of abandoning everything for just one adventurer...

Besides, Alice hardly ever takes any commission money from me... In any case, we supported each other and made it this far.

"Really- Lately, it seems like you haven't been finding quests through me. Did you start accepting jobs on your own?" After staring at me for a few seconds, Alice sighed.

"No, I've only been going on routine goblin subjugations lately. There haven't been any special requests, so I didn't need to find anything specific."

"Hmm? You don't seem to be short on money lately. In the past, you always asked me to find high-paying quests for you."

"Unless there are special circumstances, I shouldn't have any money problems in the future. The only special requests that would trouble you should be the ones designated for me."

"I see... Congratulations, did you find a weapon that won't break?" Alice nodded her head upon my words, her gaze then fixed on the [Anti-Melon Spear Prototype 1.0] on my back.

"Huh? You guessed it right!"

"It’s easy to guess, you take so many high-ranking quest all just to make money to fix your spear, the moment you stop taking them mean you find a spear than won’t break, or at least a spear that are much more durable than the others.”

"Hehe, what about you? How are you doing these days?" While exchanging pleasantries, I placed the cloth bag on the counter.

It contained the spoils of our routine sweep in the small forest east of the city. Apart from goblin ears and a few magic stones, we had also hunted down a giant bat that unexpectedly appeared.

The teeth of this animal had medical applications and were suitable for making weapons such as daggers. They fetched a good price, especially if they were undamaged. Other parts could also be sold, such as the wing membranes as leather or the claws ground into powder for medicine.

"Wind attribute magic stone, and seven goblin ears... let me weigh them." Alice briefly glanced at the contents of the cloth bag and handed it to the temporary worker nearby.

I would have to wait until tomorrow. After that, the two of us went to the bar to socialize and confirm some information.

"... You asked me earlier about how I have been doing... Well, truth to be told, I've been extremely busy lately."

Six months ago, the "Shadow Brigade Incident" occurred, a spy organization that suddenly found itself exposed in broad daylight. According to the information, they had been hiding in the capital for over ten years, completely unnoticed by anyone, staying under the radar in a country's capital for a whole decade.

And then they were inexplicably wiped out, leaving behind spider silk, craters, bruises, and large burn marks at the scene.

...I managed to suppress this incident and helped Walson a little. Initially, no one had any leads, but during the "Festival Incident," Walson and his team stepped in to save everyone.

Spider silk, craters, punches, and widespread explosions... Those who see both of the event's aftermath could easily connect the dots. Walson had his reasons to hide himself, so i ordered the investigation to be halted, leaving it up to everyone's imagination.

...Although stories of heroes have started circulating around.

Anyway, this incident directly caused tension in international relations... let's hope it doesn't escalate into a war.

In wars, it's usually the common people who suffer the most, whether they are on our side or the enemy's.

"Ah, it's been tough lately. Do you remember Ad?" After taking a sip of wine, Alice's gaze became somewhat distant.

"Who?"

"Red Hansfis- Oh, right, it's a waste of time to tell you his name. He's the guy who loves to stab people's buttholes with a dagger."

"Ah, yeah, I see." If we had gone on a mission together, I would probably remember. I answered casually.

"He quit! I lost one A-rank adventurer under me! He went and claimed his retirement pension, saying he saved enough money and wants to go home and get married! Just last week, he lost all his money at the gambling den. It's just that his brain was filled with sadness, and there happened to be a good girl around to confront him! Why didn't he take a rest and think it through!" Alice ranted hysterically beside me.

Since I've known her, she has always been like this. Her personality undergoes a drastic change as soon as she drinks alcohol.

"He canceled all the missions he had just accepted without consulting me first. How can I explain this to the clients? It's so annoying! These past few days, I've been busy dealing with the mess he left behind!"

Thank you, Alice, for always staying by my side. At least for now, there is no possibility of you leaving me.

Watching my long-time friend in her drunken state, who I hadn't seen in two weeks, I felt both touched and worried.

...If a war breaks out, we might not be able to drink together like this anymore.

Feeling the key to the [Dog House] in my pocket, as Walson said, I can stay there without any problems.

"Every gathering eventually comes to an end." Looking at the unconscious Alice, I muttered to myself.


If you want to see multiple chapters ahead of this one for free, go to this link, However, if you want to see more chapters in advance than the one on the given link, you can go to my Patreon or Ko-Fi.

8