Chapter 4
83 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hearts were in disarray. They could not help but be secretly moved in their hearts by the scenes that they witnessed as they slowly, gradually unfolded, even if they had hardened their hearts - they were not immune. Chenqing kept his gaze on them in disdain; tapping his forefinger on his knee as he watched them, as he watched his master's memories-his spirit filled with sorrow and bitterness.


      Wei Wuxian and Jiang Cheng laid where they were for a while, tears all dried up. Wei Wuxian never thought that he nor Jiang Cheng would end up in a situation like this. 

  

    Wei Wuxian sighed heavily as he slowly dragged his exhausted body into a sitting position to stand up, placing his hands on his knees as he pushed himself and stood up. 

 Wei Wuxian spoke in a weary hoarse tone, “Come on, Jiang Cheng. We need to move. Let’s go.” 

He looked down at Jiang Cheng, waiting for the other to stand.

 

  “Jiang Cheng, we need to go. Come on.” Wei Wuxian bent, lending out his hand to his side. A loud crack sounded as Jiang Cheng swatted his hand away, leaving the back of Wei Wuxian’s hand stinging. 

Wei Wuxian didn’t say anything and blinked at the other, still waiting

“Go? Go where?” Jiang Cheng croaked, Wei Wuxian knew it must have been because of Jiang Cheng’s screaming from earlier. 

“To go find Shijie,” Wei Wuxian offered, wanting to reach out his hand once more to help his side, the little brother of his heart stand up… but he knew the help would be unwanted so - Wei Wuxian clenched his fist, hidden in the sleeve to stop the impulse. 

Wei Wuxian waited as Jiang Cheng slowly stood up.

The two set off on foot, leaving behind a night of storm and screaming, and dried-up tears.

~~~~~~~

    During their journey, they summoned up whatever energy they had left as the two trod the earth with heavy hearts and heavy footsteps. Wei Wuxian stayed quiet unless he needed to speak, occasionally glancing with worried grey eyes at Jiang Cheng, another sigh was a heavy boulder that weighed down on his heart that seemed to be submerged under deep water. Jiang Cheng kept his hands close to his chest as though it held the most precious treasure he owned, cradling the hand with the finger that bore the ring of Zidian and with it the last piece of Madam Yu. 

Wei Wuxian watched silently as his side kept glancing over his shoulder, looking back at what had been their home. Wei Wuxian wanted to look back as well, the need suppressed deep within. 

He could not - would not - look back. He did not have that right. He could only force himself to push forward, onward - never looking back, only looking forward.

He, Wei Wuxian, knew that he, himself, was high spirited. He had only ever looked forward, always following his own morals and principles, following his heart. 

   He never wanted nor ever felt he needed to look back before, until this moment… and now… there was nothing to look back at… except a ravaged and broken burning home, stolen and stomped on by others who did not care for it, only wanting to seize it.

Wei Wuxian did not look back, he could not - not until they retook their home from those damned Wens. 


Whispers sounded throughout the room from many cultivators that watched and heard the former Yiling Patriarch’s inner dialogue and felt his intense emotions of hatred towards the Wen-dogs, his seething need for revenge that was growing deep inside like an infected wound. 

“What? He clearly hated those damned Wens so much… and yet… why did he end up choosing to save some of them after?”

“He must have had a change of heart.”

One cultivator snorted, “having a change of heart towards those that were part of the clan that devastated his home?”

“Demonic cultivation must have done it.”

“Really? But he was such a fierce force against the Wens during the war, the Sunshot campaign! He had the highest kill count of all!!” 

    The whispering cultivators did not pay attention or notice other multiple eyes glaring vicious daggers at them.

Lan Qiren simply frowned and shook his head. Lan Xichen sighed heavily with a worried glance at his younger brother who sat stiffly, hands clenched in his robes, staring straight ahead at the images that were paused in motion. 

Lan Wangji heard the whispers and hated them, how dare they speak of him?!

Lan Wangji could not look away from the images before him, he was afraid and Wei Ying was gone… these past images, of Wei Ying’s memories -besides A-Yuan…. They were all he had left of Wei Ying. Wei Ying who was still alive in these memories. Lan Wangji could not bear to look away from these images. 

It would be like losing Wei Ying all over again…

Nie Huaisang hid his face behind his fan, Oh, Wei-Xiong… 

Jiang Cheng scowled, looking at the cultivators gossiping about his dead brother, the very same brother whose corpse was only rooms away, in a room the other had once lived in. 

Luckily Jiang Cheng had put up a spell so his brother's corpse wouldn’t decay and waste away… the other was dead… so there was no chance of him coming back… and yet… there was a what if? What if he could?

The small possibility refused to be put out like a fire drenched in water.

Jiang Cheng just didn’t-couldn’t let go… Wei Wuxian was his brother-

Jiang Cheng was alone, his family gone - save for his young nephew Jin Ling being looked after by nannies. Jiang Cheng looked at Chenqing and the other looked back. Somehow, Jiang Cheng knew he didn't need to worry about Chenqing not protecting Jin Ling, so Jin Ling was safe. 

The whispering cultivators were still whispering amongst each other about the infamous Yiling Patriarch.

Changing took in all the whispers in the crowd and sneered, ‘Hmph, these fools chatter away and yet they know nothing like the ignorant little simpletons they are, acting so damn righteous when they're actually just hypocrites.

“Are you all done with your little whispering session?” Chenqing gave an amicable smile this time instead of a sneer. 

The ones that had been whispering saw his smile and shuddered, feeling chills crawl up their backs and immediately went silent once more. 

His smile is far more terrifying than his scowl, some thought but were wise not to make any more comments.

They went back to focusing on watching the dead Yiling Patriarch’s past memories unfold.

~~~~~

    Wei Wuxian and Jiang Cheng fled as fast as they could, in a hurry, with nothing in their possession to sustain themselves, using up their energy and strength. 

Wei Wuxian staggered slightly from a light wave of dizziness but held firm. He and Jiang Cheng weaved through a small city.

“You stay and sit. I’ll go find something for us to eat.” He spoke to Jiang Cheng, eyeing him with worry before leaving him, had repeatedly told his side not to move several times and to wait for him to come back before he left.

Wei Wuxian really didn’t want to leave Jiang Cheng alone but he didn’t have much of a choice. 

Wei Wuxian made his way back with a bunch of food he bought, only to come to a complete halt, dropping all the food in his hands to the ground with a thump.

Shock, terror, worry, and dread filled him all at once. Wei Wuxian’s pulse started thumping in a frantic beat beneath his skin.

 

He searched for Jiang Cheng frantically.

He had to find him.

He had to.


    Jiang Cheng stared at the images, watching his brother's expressions as he searched for him during that time. He felt bitter pain in his heart, Wei Wuxian didn’t know… would probably never know that the reason Jiang Cheng had left was to save him - to keep him safe.

And look at how everything turned out in the end…  Jiang Cheng squeezed his hands into fists.


 

Wei Wuxian asked a young woman who had called out to him, where 'the young purple-robed man' Jiang Cheng might have gone - which way he may have left. 

"Lotus Pier! He must have gone back….'" Wei Wuxian murmured to himself and then thought- 'Maybe he went to Meishan without me…' 


Ouch.

    Jiang Cheng felt hurt that Wei Wuxian would even think for a second that he had abandoned him and left without him. Fuck. A sharp pang hit his heart. It hurt. Fuck. It. Hurt. His heart hurt watching this.

His eyes widened as he flinched, feeling cold eyes assessing him.

   Chenqing was watching him, a predator assessing his prey, red eyes flashing. 

  

He flinched again, eyes growing wider as he felt and saw a wispy dark tendril swirl near him, twisting and writhing as he watched Chenqing's mouth move, speaking in a low whisper that no one heard but him, the black cold tendril of darkness carrying Chenqing's message directly into his ear.

"But you did in the endYou abandoned him. It was you that left him alone. You left him to rot on that mountain! So, you will watch. You will listen.  You will see just how much, how deeply he cared. You will see all he saw and felt. And maybe then, you will understand. Watch and pay close attention, Jiang Wanyin. And never forget any of it!" Chenqing's voice hissed low, snarling in that terrible whisper echoing through the tendril, chilling him to the bone. 

Oh, Jiang Cheng had heard everything. He felt fucking frozen, Chenqing's earlier words still echoed, reverberating in his mind over and over - again and again as he watched his brothers memories while his conscience continued to spew those same words with venom to him inside his mind, and stabbing into his heart repeatedly. 

But you did in the end… You abandoned him…

Fuck. Fuck. Jiang Cheng trembled, barely holding himself together. He really, really did not like Chenqing- wanted to lash Zidian at him - but… he was right. He was fucking right.

 Jiang Cheng's lips curled down, stomach twisting. He watched his brother intently through the memory. He did not look away.

  He couldn't look away, his heart wouldn't fucking let him. He cursed at himself when he felt a tear fall from his eyes. 

He let the tear fall. 

He kept watching as everything continued to slowly unfold, unraveling, gaze riveted to what was happening even if watching it summoned his own memories of the events.

No. Jiang Cheng would not look away.


Wei Wuxian ran. Even when he stumbled and fell, crashing to the ground he just got up again and ran. 

He couldn't stop. He didn't know what awaited him but if Jiang Cheng went back to Lotus Pier… then he definitely had to go back and get him, to save him or die trying. 

Rain poured down, making the ground wet and slick. Wei Wuxian crept carefully, keeping himself hidden and trying to think of where Jiang Cheng could be.

He froze up when he heard some Wen clan disciples talking. 

"Hmph. Young Master Wen Chao showed the Jiang heir who was in charge. He got what he deserved. Pathetic." A voice spoke in a haughty tone.

The disciples laughed in agreement, mocking Jiang Cheng. 

Wei Wuxian gritted his teeth and clenched his hands into fists. He wanted to snap their necks. He breathed deeply, quietly, to calm himself. He moved, trying to stay unnoticed, other disciples had alerted him to where Jiang Cheng was being kept. 

He moved quickly, sneaking into the room where Jiang Cheng was supposed to be and froze.

Jiang Cheng lay pale and quiet. Wei Wuxian felt ice crawl in his veins. He knelt at Jiang Cheng's side and put two shaky fingers over the other's throat for a pulse. 

Wei Wuxian sighed heavily with relief that Jiang Cheng was alive. He quickly placed him on his back and moved to flee. 

As he was running he was spotted.

'Shit,' Wei Wuxian cursed to himself. 

He ran, his foot accidentally slipping and propelling him into a fall. He reached and embraced Jiang Cheng and shielded his body from the impact of slamming into the ground. 

Though the breath was knocked out of him, Wei Wuxian wasted no time in putting Jiang Cheng on his back again, hearing the Wens shouting and alerting each other and hearing running footsteps rushing towards him as he ran.

He stopped, eyes darting and right for a quick place to hide. He couldn't get very far running with the right in his heels. 

A hand shot out and dragged him into a room, closing the doors. 

Wei Wuxian whirled with a snarl, Jiang Cheng unconscious in his back, his own hand grasping out for a possible threat and wrapped his hand around their throat, squeezing. 

"E-e-easy, Y-young master Wei," a meek voice spoke from the person Wei Wuxian was slowly tightening the grasp around their neck. "I-I-just want to h-help."

Wei Wuxian sneered, glaring with hateful eyes as the boy before him kept stuttering and speaking to him. He questioned the other  curtly. The boy explained his name was Wen Ning and that they had met at during Archery Competition at the Discussion Conference in Nightless City--

Wei Wuxian blinked, "Ah", he remembered. The boy had been very shy upon Wei Wuxian's presence. 

Looking at the boy, he wouldn't hurt any living creature being too kind, too soft but that was then and Wei Wuxian was unsure to trust him.

"Young Master Wei, you can trust me." The other boy murmured, and looking at him again, Wei Wuxian relaxed because he was right, Wen Ning was a gentle soul that was incapable of intentionally hurting others. It wasn't in his nature. 

Wei Wuxian sighed, following Wen Ning's lead. 

They hurried into what used to be his room, until the Wens came. 

Wei Wuxian laid Jiang Cheng down and Wen Ning hurried to make a healing drink.

Wei Wuxian made sure Jiang Cheng was hopefully comfortable while resting, even in the current situation. 

He sat at the foot of the bed and heaved a heavy sigh, shoulders dropping.  Hot tears threatened to spill from his eyes.

"Wen Ning… can you… would you… please… help me get Madam Yu and Sect Leader Jiang's ashes back?" He bowed his head and grit his teeth, clenching his hands into fists until his nails nearly broke through the skin. 

"Of course, Young Master Wei, I will do my best. I'll be back with more tea." Wen Ning hurried away.

Wei Wuxian sighed, placing his face in his hands, shoulders drooping as he waited.

After some time, Wen Ning returned.

The other ducked his head for a moment in an apology as he held out his hands.

"This was all I could get from them. I'm sorry, Young Master Wei."

Wei Wuxian shook his head, refuting what he said. "No, Wen Ning, you did good. Thank you."

Wen Ning and Wei Wuxian froze, hearing Jiang Cheng shift in a fitful sleep, turning to him to see Jiang Cheng snapping awake with dull glaring eyes as he took in Wei Wuxian standing next to Wen Ning.

"You! Wei Wuxian! You dare betray our sect! AHAHA! Bastard!" He cursed, yelling, laughing, screaming.

"Eh? Jiang Cheng, you don't understand-" Wei Wuxian stammered in shock and fear. Jiang Cheng yelled and screamed and raved some more until Wen Ning’s sister barged in and knocked him out. 

Wei Wuxian turned and bared his teeth at Wen Qing with a scowl. 

"What?" She held her chin high, eyes flashing as she stared back at him, and spoke, "The actions of the Wen Sect does not represent what we do. We are not responsible for the Wen Sect's wrongdoings. Wei Ying, there's no need to look at me like that. There is a beginning to all debts. I am the office leader of Yiling, but I was ordered to take the position. I am a medic, an apothecary. I have never killed anyone - much less touched the blood of the Jiang Sect."

 

Wei Wuxian felt himself deflate, grinding his teeth - but she wasn't wrong. 

She was right.

Wei Wuxian's shoulders slouched, and he curled in on himself - as though the weight of the world was weighing on him and beginning to crush him. 


   

   Jiang Cheng flinched as he realized it too. As did the other cultivators who had a conscience and were decent enough to feel ashamed of themselves at Wen Qing's scolding words. 

Lan Qiren sighed and just closed his eyes, not saying a word, head bowed.

Lan Xichen looked on with sad, ashamed eyes.

Nie Mingjue clenched his fists and ground his teeth, his own shame tearing at him. Damn. Why did she have to be right?

Jiang Cheng felt more ashamed than anyone for the fact that he treated two people who had helped save him and treated them as less than nothing, not even reciprocating their efforts, even after Wei Wuxian tried to tell him. He just hadn't wanted to listen.


He sighed. He barely listened and registered as she spoke once more, saying Jiang Cheng would be out of it for a little while and also telling him to leave the needle in Jiang Cheng for him to rest so he could heal. 

Watching his shidi break down like this… out of his mind with grief and rage, like he didn't care for his life…..he despised it. He hated when Jiang Cheng cried, it hurt his heart and destroyed him but this - this was much, much worse. He had tried to explain the situation and make him understand but… Wei Wuxian clenched his fists and squeezed his eyes closed with his head bowed, tears threatening to spill beneath them as he listened to Jiang Cheng laugh hysterically and curse his name. 

No. He had to be strong, had to hold himself together. Even if Jiang Cheng was like this and blamed him, he would not leave him. Never. He would be strong….he had to be.

☆~☆~☆

  Wei Wuxian searched. He looked everywhere he could and poured over every book he could find to help Jiang Cheng somehow while he recovered. 

Nothing

Nothing

Nothing!

"Damn it all!" Wei Wuxian cursed at himself and snarled. There had to be a way to save him - to fix this! - it was all his fault! Jiang Cheng was meant to be Yunmeng Jiang's sect leader and Wei Wuxian believed he would be a damned great sect leader. He needed a golden core though! That bastard Wen Zhuliu! Wei Wuxian would make that man suffer. He'd make sure of that, including Wen Chao and his bitch! 

  Wei Wuxian's hatred of them grew. They would not get away with this! 

Focus on helping Jiang Cheng! He comes first! Wei Wuxian smacked himself.

Ah! A book caught his eye, pages sticking out of it. He had not seen or read through it yet. He opened it, and inside it was notes! Documents! 

He read what it all said, hands trembling.

The Golden Core Transfer Theory

This, this was it! This… could work, right? He could help Jiang Cheng! 

He shot to his feet and rushed to find Wen Qing. He would do this, he had decided. No matter what. He would do this. 

Not only had he promised Madam Yu to look after Jiang Cheng, not just because it was also his duty -  none of that, not really. 

He would do this because he wanted to, because… because - despite the fact that they shared no blood - Wei Wuxian saw Jiang Cheng as his family, his little brother.

Wei Wuxian would plead and beg Wen Qing until she gave in if he had to, so she could give his golden core to Jiang Cheng, so his brother could become a damn good sect leader, and be able to cultivate and use spiritual energy.

He would do this for Jiang Cheng, no matter the price he may have to pay, no matter the cost - even his life. None of that mattered so long as Jiang Cheng was alive and able to be the sect leader which Wei Wuxian knows he'll be. Because he believes in Jiang Cheng's ability and strength.

He believes in Jiang Cheng. 

Wei Wuxian would do this, would give up his golden core for him… because Jiang Cheng is his little brother and he loves him. 

It has to work! It has to!

He would fix this and make things right!


 "Damn it! Stop! No more!" Jiang Cheng grit his teeth, tears streaming silently down his cheeks. The other cultivators had to look away from such a devastated, vulnerable expression.

Chenqing stared at him, a small look of pity in his eyes before it faded, but shook his head and levelled a cool gaze at Jiang Cheng. "Sorry, but no. We haven't even gotten to the best parts yet," Chenqing mocked, real anger coating his tone before softening, just slightly. "Master loved you, you know, even at the end. He loved you even when he believed you hated and blamed him - despised his very existence. He loved you still." Chenqing admitted somberly. 

Jiang Cheng squeezed his eyes closed, trembling. He had felt everything in that viewing of Wei Wuxian's memories. He felt it all. The guilt, the shame, the fear, worry and… the love. So much of it. 

Fuck fuck fuck fuck! Why?! Why does this hurt so fucking much?! Wei Wuxian, why? Damn you! Why? You bastard! Damn you!

Jiang Cheng wanted to lash out with Zidian and release the emotions roaring inside of him. It was too much!

Even so, he let the tears fall down his face, he didn't even try to wipe them away.

Many cultivators were in turmoil as well, so very shocked and in denial - many still disbelieving - that such a theory was even possible! It couldn't be! 

They were all feeling, seeing and hearing what Wei Wuxian went through in his memories. No one with a conscience could not be in turmoil or unmoved by it. 

Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen remained silent, heads bowed. Lan Wangji trembled, eyes glistening with unshed tears. 

Oh. Oh, Wei Ying… "Wei Ying," Lan Wangji whispered quietly, voice shattered with emotion threatening to spill out of his throat.

Nie Huaisang, face hidden behind his fan, allowed his own tears to slip free. Oh, Wei-Xiong… I'm sorry I wasn't a better friend when you needed one. I'm sorry… 

 Nie Mingjue was still as stone, his heart in utter turmoil seeing his little brother break into tears and after feeling Wei Wuxian's emotions, after feeling and seeing, hearing it all - the pain, the suffering and a creeping horror of the terrible knowledge of just what Wei Wuxian planned to do- and there was more. It wasn't over yet.

He had a bad premonition that things were going to get worse in the memories and the things they will continue to watch and feel until they have seen all there is to see. He knew that Chenqing would not release anyone until they saw and heard and felt everything Wei Wuxian felt to the very end.

The truth Chenqing kept hinting at, showing them. 

Things were going to get far worse, he could feel it. He wasn't sure he wanted to see this - the memories - what was coming next and after, to hear it, to know. 

But that's exactly what Chenqing wanted.

Nie Mingjue stared at Chenqing, who was staring back with a glint in his hardened eyes and a smirk - like he was baiting him. 

Nie Mingjue felt his lips twitch to the silent challenge but said and did nothing, he was strong yes and believed in his ability but Chenqing was an unknown, a mystery and very powerful. A flute, a weapon, an instrument, a spirit, a live being with a body.

He couldn't take chances and he was sure his little brother would want to stay to the end and see his friend's memories. 

Nie Mingjue shoved all that emotional turmoil into a box to delve into later. 

He clasped a comforting hand on Nie Huaisang's shoulder and he braced himself with a sigh and a heavy heart for any and everything he was about to witness. 

Nie Mingjue held his breath and exhaled deeply, he had a feeling that once they had all watched everything unfold to the end, things were going to change, with whatever revelations would be shone by the time this was finished.

Chenqing trapped them all in one room together, and here they all were. Watching, listening, waiting. Nothing they could do about it either and everyone knew it. 

Chenqing flicked his wrist with the wave of his hand, and the next memory he had already pulled up had begun to play.

4