Chapter 3
91 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chenqing sat peering at all cultivators in the room. His pale red gaze moved to rest on Lan Xichen for a moment.

 "Did you send the letter?"

"Yes," Lan Xichen replied, his tone full of worry for his brother.

Chenqing sighed, rolling his eyes. "No need to fret, young Sect Leader Lan. No harm will befall your younger brother at my hands - that I can solemnly vow." Chenqing's gaze was serious.

  Chenqing then wondered...how would that Lan Wangji react if he knew his Master's body was here at Lotus Pier…

Maybe it was best he didn't find out that tidbit just yet…

Lan Wangji - Chenqing heard from the whispers that the resentful energy picked up from the wind and surroundings - had still called for his Master's soul, many months after his death. It had already been a year and a few months and the man had still.....

Chenqing admired the man's will to keep calling for a soul that might.....that might never answer.

The other had a right to be here for what he was about to show the rest of the cultivators and Chenqing would not confine him - not trap him, forcing him to stay..oh no.. He would allow Lan Wangji to decide - the man was owed that much.

Chenqing felt he deserved to see and know the truth, if Lan Wangji wished and could endure it. 

The crowd of Cultivators were terrifyingly quiet while Chenqing mused. 

It was awkward to say the least, none of them liked the situation, at all.

A young cultivator from the Lanling Sect, a Jin Sect member spoke up.

"This is the Jiang residence, and yet...Sect Leader Jiang, Why are you allowing this..this thing - a tool -  to act like he owns the place and is in charge? Doesn't that make you lose face?"

Chenqing blinked his eyes owlishly slow, staring at the cultivator who spoke. "You really must be a fool...you are still able to speak of  matters such as 'saving face' in such a predicament you are in but why is it your concern and business with what Jiang Wanyin does? Or what I do? Who do you think you are?" 

Chenqing looked at the young Jiang Sect Leader, "What do you think, Jiang Wanyin? Ah, you must agree I suppose. I am using your home after all. My apologies for the disrespect. If Master was alive and knew...about what I could do.. And how I have acted towards you - he would certainly scold me." Chen Qing forlornly sighed.

Jiang Cheng snorted at that. "Oh, really?"

Chenqing glared and bared his teeth, standing up from his seat to march over to the purple clothed man. 

"Yes, really." Chenqing spoke darkly. "You dare doubt Master… and yet you… who… hmph. Master cared for you and your sect, for Lotus Pier and you act like this…" Chenqing trailed off, "You know nothing…but just wait. Wait and see." 

Jiang Cheng sneered, twisting the ring on his finger and glaring at Chenqing.

      Chenqing revealed a wide grin, baring his teeth again. "Oh, is Sect Leader Jiang going to attack me?" He looked out from under his eyelashes, that smile still on his face. "By all means, I can fight a couple rounds or more. Ahh, but then...we'd be destroying such a beautiful place and… as much as you may want to attack me - you don't at the same time. You won't.

   You want to know something else? In Nightless City...between Lady Yanli and Master...and you. Those events, you know what happened, you know the truth you saw then with your own eyes and yet you still blamed Master and he accepted the blame. Did you know that..by doing so, blaming him for Lady Yanli's death - your spitting on your sister's memory? She loved him as much as she loved you, as family - just without blood ties. You take after your mother, using your anger and bitterness to hide behind like a coward. 

    Lady Yanli still cared for Master while you turned your back and spat on him. Hating him for her choice. Her decision. She chose to shove him out of the way, to shield him - to save him. And you shame the memory of her by blaming him for that incident. 

    Master didn't need your blame when he already blamed himself and hated himself more than you ever could. And yet...when you knew nothing… blinded by your own rage and vendetta…" Chenqing breathed, trailing off again, pausing before he continued, "you know that when you led the siege against him that led to his death - Master's death......you spat on your sister's sacrifice? Her sacrifice for him to live."

Jiang Cheng became paler and paler, but Chenqing continued, all his emotions pouring out in this tirade as he berated the young Jiang Sect Leader.

Chenqing's red eyes glared vehemently he tore down Jiang Cheng with his words and Chenqing let out a few sharp thunderous claps. "Well done, Jiang Wanyin, well done," Chenqing replied in a snarky-sardonic tone, adding a mocking smile with his next words, "You should be proud."

Jiang Cheng swallowed, face turning white to purple to white again, emotions rampaging through him. There were so many things he felt he wanted to say but they refused to leave his lips. 

Chenqing wasn't done by any means, with any of them. 

I am not done with any of you yet, not by far.

Chenqing turned a piercing gaze into the Lanling Sect, on Jin Guangshan and Jin Guangyao, who was so desperate for that worthless man's approval.

Chenqing sneered to himself watching the two converse, trying to find a way out no doubt - scheming against him. Hmph. No one could leave or enter unless he allowed it.

  Let them be brazen enough to try, then Chenqing would not hold back.

~~●~~

Lan Wangji sat inside the Jingshi, going over papers. His back was straight, and his back still ached with pain from the lash marks. 

  It had been months since he heard of Wei Ying's death, since the night he had found out after the fact and was unable to save the man he loved, unable to be there for him. 

Lan Wangji shuddered, tears stinging downcast golden eyes as he remembered that dreadful night his world had collapsed and he had done nothing to prevent it. 

He was grateful he had found A-Yuan, who was now known as Lan Yuan, Lan Sizhui. The boy was thankfully unburdened by his past; without weight of his memories. 

It hurt somewhat, that Sizhui could not remember the man known as Wei Wuxian to the world, and Wei Ying to Lan Wangji.

It hurt. Oh, did it hurt. 

Lan Wangji's heart ached thinking about the soul he had called for so many times with Inquiry, yet never receiving and answers to his pleas. He had played Inquiry everyday after his duties, after Wei Ying had died and after his wounds had healed on back.

His Inquiry was never answered by the one he wished would answer it the most.

Wei Ying's death left a hollow space inside him that refused to be filled. 

Lan Wangji paused, glaring down with trembling lips, with his hands shaking and he clenched them into fists as he tried to pull himself back from that edge.

The windows were open slightly and it was evening but Lan Wangji had the urge to play Inquiry once again before Lan Sizhui would come by. 

He sat in the Jingshi, holding his guqin, Wangji. He caressed the strings before strumming them with familiarity.

Do you know Wei Ying?

He would ask souls nearby.

Wei Ying, are you there? Wei Ying, please answer me.

He would plead.

Wei Ying 

Wei Ying 

Wei Ying

Wei Ying

Over and over, Lan Wangji's heart would chant his name, he strums until his fingers bled.

Over and over he asked souls of that knew him or knew where he could be..

It never worked.

He never found the answers to his pleas...

"HanGuang-Jun?" A small childishly timid voice called from outside the Jingshi.

Lan Wangji stood and let the young boy in.

Lan Sizhui looked up at him with a small shy smile.

"Mn, what is it?" Lan Wangji inquired curiously. "Studies?"

Sizhui's eyes widened, shaking his head. "Fine. Uncle Xichen … I mean -" He started to panic. Lan Wangji pat the child's head. "It is fine in private." 

     Lan Sizhui's eyes widened in happy surprise, stuttering, "- F-Father.." he bashfully looked away, with a small relieved smile before handing Lan Wangji a letter, and while it said it was addressed to Sizhui, it seemed otherwise. A note was inside with the letter, instructing Sizhui to hand the letter to him. 

 Lan Wangji opened the letter, reading it.

        -Dear Wangji,

     I hope you are well and that Sizhui is doing well. 

   Uncle and I are fine, so do not worry - despite some matters - I am certain things will turn out alright. Uncle and I, along with the other cultivation sects are at Sect Leader Jiang Wanyin's residence and there have been...some interesting ...developments. It was requested that you come join us. Wangji… it has to do with young Master Wei's memories and Chen Qing, young Master Wei's flute.

   If I could, little brother, I would try to shield you from this.. in the end it is ultimately your decision, and I know your choice. I know you will want to come see for yourself.

  I will see you soon, Wangji.

      With love,

          Xichen. 

  He froze up, golden eyes widening with every word, fingers trembling as his lips shivered mutely. 

  A few tears dropped down, splashing the letter and trying to smear the ink. 

Lan Wangji squeezed his eyes closed trying to calm himself. He breathed.

In and out, he stood, breathing. Having regained his composure, he stuffed the letter into his robes and turning to look down at a small worried Sizhui.

 "Father… is everything okay?" The child gripped his robes, looking up at him worriedly. 

  Lan Wangji's heart softened. "Mn. Must go. Will be back soon." He patted the child's head gently, "Study well." Lan Wangji murmured. 

    Lan Sizhui grinned up with sparkling eyes, "Yes, HanGuang-Jun..I mean ..Father.." the boy blushed, Lan Wangji nodded and the young boy scurried off.

Lan Sizhui was always a good child, and it made Lan Wangji proud.

He hoped that wherever Wei Ying was, he was proud too.

     

▪○•♤•○▪

   Chenqing drummed his fingers along his knee.

  He was quietly waiting, eyes closed to rest, but he was still fully aware of his surroundings.

 He snickered to himself, listening to the cultivators chat amongst themselves animatedly. He wondered if they would try anything if they believed he had let his guard down. 

  He did not care to listen to what they said to each other, he muted them to meaningless chatter in his ears. 

  The had word from Lan Xichen that Lan Wangji Would have gotten his letter the other day. 

  Chenqing new that the other would be arriving very soon. 

   A tingling sensation ran across his senses.

Ah, that was sooner than I expected. The other must have rushed over as soon as possible.

Good. Then we can get started.

  Chenqing turned to Jiang Cheng. "The new guest has arrived, since this is your place after all, you don't mind bringing him hear do you?"

  Jiang Cheng scowled but after the berating he had gotten from Chenqing. For a spiritual, instrumental tool, a weapon - Chenqing was quite powerful.

  Not only that...the berating Chenqing had given him had sucked out all his venomous fury and energy...because deep down…. He knew the other was right.

 And that was what hurt the most. 

Deep down he still thought of Wei Wuxian as his brother. 

  The man himself, his brother's body was currently hidden away at Lotus Pier, inside the room Jiang Cheng had rebuilt exactly the way it had been, before Lotus Pier was burned to the ground.

  His brother's old room. 

He always kept in it perfect condition, waiting for his brother's return...just not like this…

Why did it turn out this way?

It hurt... deeply… more than Jiang Cheng and thought possible.

What would A-Jie think?

Hmph. Jiang Cheng turned and left to go get the Second Jade without a word, he refused to look Chenqing in the eyes.

He couldn't. He wasn't ready to face the whole truth… 

~~

But Chenqing wasn't going to let anyone off easy…

Chenqing's glittering red gem-like eyes met cold golden ones. 

"Hello, HanGuang-Jun. It's a pleasure to meet you. Your brother can fill you in on more details before we dive in and get started."

《>○<》

  Indeed, Chenqing wasted no time in getting things started after he was sure Lan Xichen had filled his younger brother in more about what was going on.

   

    "Now, I am going to do a little bit of fastforwarding you could say...speeding things up a tad bit."

  The resentful energy at.the center of the room where all all cultivators say around, twisting and swirled, forming images. 

  Lan Wangji sat next to his brother, hands tightly fisted and his gaze focused ahead. 

    

   The crowd of cultivators watched time pass, and watched when Wei Wuxian and the other young cultivators were trapped in the cave with Xuanwu of Slaughter. 

  Many faces among the cultivators flashed with a myriad of emotions. 

Some were shaking their heads and gasping when Wei Wuxian threw himself into the path of the Wen Sects branding iron that was burning hot with the Wen Sect motif. 

It seems like trouble is attracted to the young cultivator, that or he likes to throw himself recklessly into danger for the sake of others….

 Everyone's expressions paled at the feeling of the scorching heat and the pain. Lan Wangji's expression was stoically pinched. Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren winced at the pain as Wei Wuxian was branded. 

  Nie Huaisang trembled, swallowing thickly and fanned himself with his fan, hiding his face. 

  

Nie Mingjue felt a twinge of pity, looked down at his brother, wondering if he should have made the other stay at their sect.

    Everyone watched as Wei Wuxian selflessly tried to stay behind, telling everyone to get out.

  

   They watched with avid attention when Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian were trapped in the cave together after saving each other from harm.

   Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren watched, expressions odd, as Wei Wuxian teased Lan Wangji, forcing the other to spit out the bad blood from being wounded, watched the other flinch away at being scolded.

The cultivators watched everything unfold.

Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen were filled with pride at how Lan Wangji helped finish of the Xuanwu and how he handled the situation, ignoring the awkwardness of the events after and how the other sects kept glancing Lan Wangji, whose face was impassive as ever, save for the burning tips of his ears - he hoped no one noticed - and thankfully no one did, except for Lan Xichen.

  

     Everyone  watched as an unconscious Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji were rescued.

     The memories skipped forward, the cultivators gasped with shock.

Some were disgusted and angered at the actions the Wens took against the Yunmeng Jiang Sect.

_______________________________

  

   Lotus Pier was burning. 

Wei Wuxian seethed on the boat adrift on the water, clenching his fists. He bowed his head in guilt, listening to Jiang Cheng's heart wrenching cries for his parents, for Madam Yu and Jiang Fengmian. 

'I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry…'

It was his fault.

Wei Wuxian watched as the flames reflected in his silver eyes burned his home, Lotus Pier, to the ground.

There was nothing he could do.

He stared at a desolate, sobbing Jiang Cheng.

Their home taken from them.

He would not forgive the Wens. 

   

{>▪<}

  "Why?! Why did you have to step in and save Lan Wangji?! Why did you have to call attention to yourself and play the tank hero?!! Why?! This is all.your fault!"

  Jiang Cheng seethed with heartbreak and rage, straddling Wei Wuxian, blinded by his emotions as he started strangling the other.

"Why?! Why?" Jiang Cheng snarled, his grip on Wek Wuxians throat tightening with every word. He was lost in his devastation.

Wei Wuxian laid on the wet muddy ground from rain, gasping for breath as the hands choking him became tighter and tighter.

"Jiang Cheng!" Wei Wuxian gasped out loud. Jiang Cheng seemed to come to, and broke down into sobs again.

Wei Wuxian saw his shidi in pain and he had never hated anything more than the fanned Wens that had stolen everything from them.

Never had he hated anyone more than he hated himself in this moment, despair raking jagged claws across his heart. Wei Wuxian bit his trembling lips, his body quaking with held back emotion too much to contain. 

As he lay there, listening to Jiang Cheng's cries, Wei Wuxian covered his face with his arm, allowing the tears to fall from his eyes blending in with the falling rain.

Wei Wuxian cried silently.

My fault… my fault… my fault… my fault…

'I'm sorry… I'm so sorry…'

Madam Yu…. Uncle Jiang…

Everyone…..

'I'm sorry…'

  

1