Chapter 5
94 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

       "No. Absolutely not." Wen Qing rebutted.

 

  "Wen Qing, please! Please do this for me!" 

 

  "Don't be foolish, Wei Ying! Get up! I will not do this! It's only a theory! It's never been done!" She snapped down at Wei Wuxian's kneeling figure, as bowed low before her. 

 

    Wei Wuxian refused to relent no matter how she refused. He could not give up, it was not in him to do so. If there was even a slight chance of success, it gave him a sliver of hope and he clung to that hope desperately as he begged and pleaded with Wen Qing to do the surgery on him. 

 

  Wei Wuxian continued to kneel and plead to Wen Qing until his voice grew hoarse, cracking with suppressed tears and desperation; hopelessness seeping deeply into his bones.

 

"Alright! Alright, I said! Now stop with all this nonsense!" She grumbled and heaved a sigh as she stared at Wei Wuxian's hopeful face as he stood up.

 

"I will do the surgery, however, you must know and be aware of the risks, understood?"

 

"Thank you. Thank you, Wen Qing." He thanked her, his tone full of relief. He waited for the words she would say next as she had warned.

 

"This has never been done before since it is only a theory. You must know - the estimated chances for success rate are fifty-fifty. I will ask you again, one last time, are you sure you wish to go through with this?" Wen Qing questioned. 

 

Wei Wuxian replied without hesitation, the fire of determination burning in his gaze.

 

   "Yes."

 


   Jiang Cheng's lips trembled and his eyes stung with unshed tears while his hands fisted in his robes on his legs. A weight had settled upon his chest. He heard the muffled voices of shock and awe, voices exclaiming in denial around him at what was supposed to be impossible, a method that no one had even known about until this very moment, and the implication was as astounding as it was horrific.

 

He didn't want to think, he didn't want to feel like this.  It couldn't be! It couldn't be! It wasn't true! This couldn't be true!

 

He told me it was Baoshan Sanren! He told me… he told me... this… 

 

So… he lied to me all along? I never knew?!

 

How could I be so stupid!

 

Jiang Cheng lifted a trembling hand and held it over his abdomen, where his Wei Wuxian's golden core rested warmly within him. 

 

He looked up to meet Chenqing's hostile gaze, proving right after all. The look in Chenqing's eyes spoke volumes. 

 

Jiang Cheng paled, swallowing thickly, anger warring with pain and denial making him feel sick.

 

So… Wei Wuxian… you…

 

Jiang Cheng fought to keep his shoulders from shaking, and fought to keep his tears at bay. He wanted to scream, to shout - to fight!

 

He bowed his head, teeth biting into his bottom lip and drawing blood. 

 

I am such a fucking idiot! Why, Wei Wuxian?!

 

But Jiang Cheng knew why, he saw just now with his own eyes and felt the remnants of Wei Wuxian's emotions.

 

Wei Wuxian had loved him, seen him as his little brother within his heart, and it wasn't just because his mother had made him promise to look after him. 

 

Just what had he done?

~~■~~

    Lan Qiren was aghast along with Lan Xichen. He couldn't fathom such a possibility. And if the implications they were seeing were true, and it was going to be shown… Wei Wuxian had sacrificed his own golden core, giving it away to Jiang Cheng, who had lost his golden core. Lan Qiren had heard the rumors back then as well, they had spread all around from cultivator to cultivator, though who could say where it had come from first?

 

      For Wei Wuxian to do such a thing and then being caught by the Wens and coming back using resentful energy…. How could he not have noticed? How had he not seen the signs? Had he even bothered to look? He always saw Wei Wuxian as a problem child and thought he was no good. But back then… even before the war with the Wens… Lan Qiren had seen the boy and known of his playful personality and wrote him off because of his foolishness and rule-breaking but… was it him who had truly been wrong all this time?

 

  Lan Qiren sighed deeply in his heart. Just when had things become like this?

 

He did not know.

 

 ~~■~~

 

     Lan Xichen was troubled.

 

   He was not sure how to feel or what to think of all this, being just as shocked as his uncle. What he worried about was Wangji and how he would take it, so he had been conspicuously watching his younger brother from the corner of his eye. Wangji was pale and his golden eyes had a bright sheen to them, even more alarming. 

    Lan Xichen saw his brother tightly clench his hands where they rested on his legs, gripping the fabric of his pants. Lan Wangji was gripping them so tightly it seemed that thin lines of red were trickling from beneath his fingers as they dug into his palms. Lan Xichen watched as his little brother was biting down hard on his lips,  staring at the scene that seemed paused before them to give everyone time to gather themselves once more. 

 

    Nie Huaisang hid his face behind his fan, shaking his head and speaking low to himself, " Oh, Wei-xiong . I suspected as much. I'm sorry for not being a better friend, for not being there to help you." He closed his eyes, not even caring his brother's gaze was upon him. 

 

    Nie Mingjue sighed watching his younger brother Huaisang and listened to him mutter to himself under his breath. He turned his gaze back to the frozen scene on the smoky mirror of resentful energy. From the looks of things and from the feeling in his gut, and while the memories of the procedure had yet to be shown - Wei Wuxian had given his golden core away to Jiang Cheng - and whatever events befell him led him to the path of Demonic cultivation and thinking of it, without a golden core one could not cultivate. 

 

  Which only meant one thing: Wei Wuxian hadn't had a choice. He was forced to walk the path of Demonic cultivation and he accepted it, even after everyone turned on him, because what else could he do, what could he use?

 

  Nie Mingjue sighed heavily. These memory reveals were troubling and enlightening and it invoked shame within him. Some righteous cultivator I am , Nie Mingjue mocked himself, I am a fool.

 

  The Jin sect were whispering amongst themselves. Jin Guangshan looked bored, waving his fan in his face. Jin Guangyao had a amicable smile, trying to appear as though he wasn't engaging in the whispers of his sect. 

 

 Chenqing watched him, studying that fake smile-the smile of a viper waiting to strike. The cunning fox and his father are up to no good, he thought. Well, they could try whatever but Chenqing would not let them be so easily. For now… he would observe them. He smirked to himself. He had an even bigger surprise for all of them,  one that would be appearing in just a moment.

 

 "Before we continue further with the memory viewing, I have a special new guest for you all." Chenqing grinned widely, showing his teeth. 

 

  The image sent shivers down their spines and had the hairs on their necks standing straight up. 

 

  They heard footsteps before a yawn broke the silence as a new voice entered the room. "Oi! Chenqing, what in the hell did you need me for? I was busy sleeping.” And everyone could just sense the pout in the mystery person’s voice. “You know how I like my beauty sleep. Sending your little black smokey tentacles of darkness to keep poking me while I napped is really damn annoying, y'know that?" 

 

   The special guest glared at Chenqing, who just lifted a brow without blinking or his expression changing. The guests' arms were crossed as he surveyed the room. He blinked, taking in the cultivators spread throughout the room.

   "Ah ... So it's you bastards, eh?" He sneered at the lot of them, just noticing Lan Wangji. "Oh. Except you, HanGuang-Jun. You're the only decent human being in the whole bunch, a truly righteous cultivator compared to them." The guest stated offhandedly, baring his teeth, and glaring at the others with an imposing aura surrounding him, much like the fighting spirit of a tiger. 

 

 He was quite tall, not too broad or lanky, but he had the outstanding perfectly symmetrical body figure in a stature of hidden and coiling wired strength. He wore black clothing that had gold, red, and silver lining it,  embroidered and emboldened in the fabric. The clothing was very fine, like he was some eccentric royalty. His eyes were mismatched, one eye was a dark stormy grey which made it appear black, and the other eye was golden and silver, both eyes had vibrant and visible red flecks of color in them; unique and otherworldly.

 

His hair seemed to match his eyes and clothing, though it was more of a dark and fiery crimson red, with parts that had gold, black, and silver in it. It hung long, luscious - cascading around his shoulders and down his back like a waterfall. A fringe of bangs framed his face, accentuating his facial features, giving an exoctic and wild beauty about his person, like an exotic, majestic being celestial. 

 

  He stood out like a fine, beautiful and well sculpted figure.

 

The cultivators of each sect all looked at each other, silent asking, who is this guest? We have never seen him before. 

 

Little did they know, they had, just not human form. 

 

 The guest snorted, a smile creeping up the side of his face - half playful,  half menacing, "Look at you lot with your idiotic expressions, your all probably thinking you've never seen me before, am I right?"

 

   Yes, they thought, but none of them said it aloud. 

 

  The guest snickered, as if he knew their silent unspoken answer. He stood to his full height and made a grand gesture with his hands and a little mocking bow. 

 

  "It is our first official time meeting in this way, but allow me to clear up the confusion for everyone. It is an honor to officially meet you all," though his tone said and implied the exact opposite, the guest introduced himself-

 

"My name is Suibian," Suibian smirked. 

 

 Jaws dropped and eyes popped wide, Suibian? That Suibian? 

 

The Yiling Patriarch's sword, Suibian?

 

   Suibian kept his smirk and made his way to stand to Chenqing's side. After finding a suitable spot to sit comfortably, he answered again as though he knew what they were thinking.

 

"Yes, really. I am that Suibian. The one and only!" He spoke cheerily, smug. 

 

  From the looks of things, he already knew what Chenqing was up to. It didn't take a lot to figure it out.  Chenqing was forcing them to sit and see their Master's memories. Suibian looked at the brother of Master's heart, he was the only one able to see the tangible golden thread of connection between them since his Master's core resided in the other. 

 

  Suibian's aura darkened, seething with anger, watching the Jiang Sect leader with hostility and resentment in his heart. He did not deserve his Master's golden core, his sacrifice, after what he had done. He would never see him as a Master nor would he ever forgive him. And while Suibian might hate Jiang Cheng a little, and felt angry and hostile towards him, his master had still loved and cherished his brother to the very end. He would never harm Jiang Cheng and sully his master's memory and the feelings of care he had for his brother. 

 

   Jin Guangshan on the other hand...

 

  Suibian's gaze moved and locked onto Jin Guangshan, that bastard was the worst of the bunch after all he did. 

 

   Suibian knew his master, knew his master more than anyone else!

 

 He knew his Master's heart and soul best! 

 

He knew his Master's good heart and good intentions! He knew how much he sacrificed in his heart!

 

How dare they trample on my master's heart and his name! They knew nothing! How dare Jin Guangshan plot against his master and harm him! 

 

How dare they?!

 

    Suibian felt his anger rising as he stared at the crowd of cultivators whose eyes were fixed on him. He grinned and watched as they flinched at whatever they saw in his eyes or expression. Good.  

 

  He felt Chenqing place a hand softly on his shoulder, but he waved it away, motioning he was fine. He was glad Chenqing woke him up, glad he wasn't going to miss out on this, watching them squirm. 

 

    He wasn't thrilled about seeing his master hurt in the memories all over again… but watching the hypocritical, pretentious cultivators before him - (save for Lan Wangji of course - he knew how much his master had cared for the other in his heart, even if his master had been oblivious to his own feelings, especially with everything that happened) - he was eager to see them squirm and for them to know the truth, and he'd eagerly pitch in and help Chenqing with that when he needs to. 

 

  Suibian couldn't wait. 


 

    Wei Wuxian was shaking slightly with nervousness, and letting out a nervous breath as Wen Qing prepared for the surgical removal of his golden core. He made up his mind and he wasn't going to change it.

 

  He thought back to when Uncle Jiang brought him home and off the streets. If it weren't for Uncle Jiang, he would have never got to cultivate a golden core. 

 

   He owes Uncle Jiang and Madam you everything, not just that, Jiang Cheng is the heir of Lotus Pier, he will be sect leader, he needs a golden core, and Jiang Cheng was the brother of his heart and he cared dearly for him. 

 

  When you cared for someone, would you not do everything you could for them? He made a promise to Madam Yu and Uncle Jiang, and Jiang Cheng…

 

He must do this. He needs to. He would do anything for Jiang Cheng, for him to live and be happy, and be the sect leader he was born to be. 

 

This… this was the only way.

 

Wei Wuxian calmed and steeled himself, refusing to go back on his word. 

 

Wen Qing stood over him with the scalpel in hand, using the other to check the energy of his golden core with her own energy. She instructed Wen Ning who shifted nervously on the side to hold him down, Wei Wuxian nodded at Wen Ning in agreement.

 

 Wen Qing had a pensive expression after using her energy to check his golden core. 

 

  "Your golden core is certainly a strong one. I'll say this again though, I'm not sure it's wise to use anesthesia, it may disrupt the energy and make the golden core dissipate. I honestly don't know. This practice has never been done. I can't take the risk of using anesthesia if we are to do this surgery with hope that it is successful - out of the fifty-fifty chance it will be." She said with a worried frown. 

 

  "It's fine, Wen Qing. Just do it. I'm ready." Wei Wuxian replied, his voice giving nothing away. 

 

"Very well." She nodded at Wen Ning. Wen Ning held him down as she cut an opening over his abdomen, digging the blade in as she started the procedure.

 

 He tried not to, he really did, biting his lips to keep quiet but Wei Wuxian… he couldn't help it. The pain was excruciating and consuming him.

 

  He screamed. 

 


 

Everyone gasped, pale and flinching. The screams were horrific and the pain he was feeling… my gosh… they felt it too. 

   The pain was unbearable and nauseating. Just how… how could someone bear this pain? Willing give up their golden core? How could Wei Wuxian bear it?

 

 Everyone was sick to their stomach and some fainted from the nauseating pain, some even shed tears. They could not fathom such an ordeal. 

 

  Jiang Cheng felt nauseous, his heart thudded painfully in his chest as he pressed a hand to where his brother's golden core was resting. Tears fell from his eyes, which he closed tightly and bowed over his knees. 

  'What did I do?! Wei Wuxian… brother…. What have I done… Why didn't you tell me?! Please… please answer me… ' Jiang Cheng cried out silently, wanting to scream himself but his throat has tightened, closing up with his held back tears steadily streaming down his face, a whine sounded painfully in the back of his throat like a wounded animal as he choked back his sobs. His brother couldn't answer him anymore...

 

 

  Lan Wangji grit his teeth as scolding hot tears fell from his eyes, leaving warm wet trails staining his cheeks. His shoulders shook, his chest heaved with harsh breaths. He could not stop the tears from falling and he did not wipe them away, letting them fall. His heart ached for the one he gave it to, who was no longer here.

  Oh, Wei Ying… my Wei Ying…

 

  

  Lan Xichen closed his eyes as the screams seemed to echo in his ears, his heart prickled with pain from hearing such screams in Young Master Wei's memory, tears hidden and held back in his own eye's. He opened his eyes and looked worriedly at his uncle and his brother.  

  Wangji was crying steadily but silently, his body shaking and biting his lips hard enough to draw beads of blood. Wangji's eyes were focused straight ahead, riveted on the love of his heart screaming within the memory. 

 

  His uncle was undoubtedly shaken and speechless, having gone extremely pale but his uncle did not turn away from Young Master Wei's memory, watching with a heavy weighted gaze. 

    Lan Qiren… didn't know what he felt. He was speechless. He could not fathom what he was witnessing…what he was feeling from Wei Wuxian's emotions in the memory.

 

His mind was blank and his heart was heavy… a question buried deep in his soul.

 

  What have we done? 

What have I done?

 

 

  Nie Huaisang and Nie Mingjue, both their hearts were in turmoil and their souls were uneasy. 

 

    Oh, Wei-Xiong… I'm so sorry, Nie Huaisang thought, face shielded behind his fan as he cried, his shoulders silently trembling. Nie Mingjue berated himself in his head. You fool, you utter fucking fool! What did you do?! How could you agree to siege such a kindhearted person?

 

 

  Chenqing watched them all with undisguised amusement. He glanced down at Suibian who was sitting next to him and glaring at the crowd of cultivators around them, no doubt secretly hurt by hearing their masters' pain. 

 

    Chenqing was in pain too but this was their revenge against the other cultivators, this was his plan. He had no time to stew in those painful emotions of his master's memories. 

    Chenqing focused all his hostility, all his rage, and energy on the cultivators deserving of his ire. He lightly brushed the tips of his fingers along Suibian's shoulder to comfort the other (a silent 'I'm here' gesture), and himself, watching as Suibian slightly relaxed, and reached back to briefly and softly brush Chenqing's hand with his own, giving him comfort as well and a silent 'thank you'.

 

 He and Suibian had only each other with their master no longer alive. 

 

  Chenqing sighed to himself inwardly, focusing back on the memory and making sure the others were still  watching as well. 

 


   He screamed and screamed. 

 

'It hurts, it hurts, it hurts!' 

 

It hurts, it hurts! IT HURTS! 

 

 Wei Wuxian tried not to thrash around, tried to stop screaming and keep still but it hurt so much! 

 

 Wen Ning continued to firmly hold him down, but had given him cloth to bite down on, per his silent request with his eyes, tears leaking cool wet trails down the sides of his face.

 

'You can do this, Wei Wuxian, for Jiang Cheng, for Uncle Jiang and Madam Yu. You can do this!' He chanted repeatedly inside his mind, trying to block out his own muffled screams and take his mind off the pain and the cool sharp feeling of the blade Wen Qing moved inside his body. 

 

The pain was growing, spreading, and it hurt so much. Black dots started to appear across his vision, he felt himself weakening. It felt hard to breathe with the pain, as it kept stealing his breath away. 

 

   Wei Wuxian felt faint, sensing that he was starting to lose consciousness. How long has it been now? How long would this agony continue?  He felt like he was going to die, he felt like he was dying. 

 

His mind became muddled, his consciousness fading. He heard Wen Qing's voice but it sounded muffled, like it was underwater.

 

"Wei Wuxian! Hey, Wei Wuxian! Don't close your eyes! Don't fall asleep, you have to stay awake! Wei Wuxian! Dammit! Don't close your eyes! You may not wake up ever again! Wei Wuxian!"  She sounded strained and panicked. Wei Wuxian wanted to reassure her he was still awake but he seemed to have lost his voice.

 

 The black spots grew bigger taking over vision as he felt himself slipping further away.

 

Was this it? Was this the end after all? Am I dying? 

 

He thought of Jiang Cheng suddenly, that shidi of his, as long as he is alive and well, and had a golden core that was all that mattered right? He was doing the right thing right?

 

'I'm sorry, Jiang Cheng. Forgive me, dear shidi.  All of this was my fault. I hope that with my golden core you will have your revenge and later be happy though I'm not by your side. No matter where I am in the world, know that my heart, and my core are always with you.', Wei Wuxian thought tiredly with an inward smile, still fighting to stay awake but barely hanging on before everything suddenly faded into nothing and became complete darkness. 

 


    Their hearts all stopped, they anxiously fidgeted and stared at the memory scene. 

    Lan Wangji just felt… shattered, his heart was in pain watching the beloved of his heart suffer, and his tears had not all dried. He couldn't seem to stop crying, but he used his hair as a curtain to hide his face while he silently shed tears for Wei Ying. Wei Ying… Wei Ying… his heart cried out into the silence, chanting and pleading for one whose heart no longer beat. 

 

 Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen were silent, for they had no words. They simply bowed their heads. What had they done ?

 

   Nie Mingjue was consoling his little brother who had broken into a fit of tears, his own heart was hurting. Who could remain unaffected watching those memories and the feelings in them? By Wei Wuxian's feelings…? 

  Oh, Gods… He almost died. Wei Wuxian almost died from this procedure. They knew lived after this scene because he was there during the Sunshot campaign after missing for three months and things that followed after that and then… well… because they had led the siege against him and he died being bitten and torn apart by corpses. 

 

   But this… something so monumental, almost dying from this kinda sacrifice….  Were they really the ones in the wrong after all? Did they instigate and attack first? How can someone willing to go so far for someone they held dear… how can you not call them selfless instead of selfish?

 

   Some of the cultivators felt conflicted while some tried to cling to their belief of Wei Wuxian being evil, refusing to budge on the surface… but their hearts were conflicted and wavering as well.

 

  Jin Guangshan on the other hand, was sneering and unmoved by this scene and was just bored watching it all, having felt nothing stir in his rotten, greedy heart - except some nervousness and a bit of fear about the memories to come that may implicate him, revealing the truth and ruining everything. 

   One of Jin Guangshan's advisors leaned in to whisper something in his ear, and a slow smile spread on his face while he nodded, not knowing he was still being watched carefully not just by one but by two beings who hated him, knowing his filthy deeds.

 

  Chenqing sneered. As if he'd let that man whore of a bastard escape so easily, (Suibian wouldn't either and that disgusting creature of a man had actually touched him as a sword!). Chenqing could see the wheels turning in the others mind. Disgusting piece of filth, lowlife human waste of trash that thinks he's above everyone. 

 

   Chenqing would love to play with him for a little while. 

 

   Jin Guangshan and his son would pay their dues. Chenqing would make certain of it, in due time. 

 


 

     The procedure of his golden core removal was a success but a close call. Wen Qing had told him after he woke up a couple days later, exhausted to the bone; weary. 

 

    Now Wen Qing just needed to insert his golden core into Jiang Cheng. And luckily, it was the easy part. Jiang Cheng didn’t need to feel the same pain he went through. He was glad that Jiang Cheng wouldn’t have to suffer anymore. And with that story he fed Jiang Cheng, the other wouldn’t suspect a thing.  

 

  He, Wen Qing, and Wen Ning had it all planned out. 

 

He just had to wait. 

 

 ~~■~~

 

      The day Wei Wuxian had tricked Jiang Cheng, Jiang Cheng had finally woken up, but he was listless and dispirited, eyes staring at nothing and silent.

 

  Wei Wuxian faintly remembered the words he told him as he  placed down the meal he had made for Jiang Cheng and sat down. "Get up and come eat, it's time for dinner and you need to regain your strength."

 

Jiang Cheng was silent and as still as a statue. This had made Wei Wuxian’s decision to give up his core ever firmer.  "We cannot get your golden core back if you do not eat and replenish your strength." 

 

And then Wei Wuxian had fed Jiang Cheng a botched up and quite a ridiculous story of how Baoshan Sanren could restore a golden core. He just had to follow certain directions and avoid some ‘taboos’. 

 

Jiang Cheng had been so excited then. Wei Wuxian reminisced as he kicked a stray stone away from him, his movement limited because of his surgery wound. ‘He had been so…..alive when he learned he’d get a golden core again. And I know it would destroy him to find out that his core is mine.’ 

 

He grimaced. ‘Jiang Cheng would probably break down. He never liked being compared to me and if he finds out that he has my golden core…..he’d be in despair. After all, his achievements and everything he will work towards will be only because of my power flowing through his meridians.’ 

 

 ~~■~~

 

 The mountain was plush with green plants and flowers, the top clouded by mist. It held a sense of pureness, of celestiality, though it was nothing like anyone had assumed it was. 

 

Wei Wuxian smiled as he waited for Jiang Cheng to come back down. ‘Hopefully, after this, we’ll go to battle. I’ll fight and fight and fight and ‘accidentally’ slip up and get stabbed fatally. When I die…….no one will ever know that I didn’t have a core.’  

  Wei Wuxian waited patiently while Jiang Cheng had been in the mountain for seven days. He squatted in a small clearing by the mountain path, surrounded by bushes and trees not far from the town either, using a large rock to sit on near the bushes, using a stick to distractedly draw in the dirt. 

 

There still wasn't any sign of Jiang Cheng. ‘What’s taking so long? It took only two days for the core to be removed from me. It shouldn’t take that long for the core to be put back in. Did it not work? Or…..were they caught by Wen Chao? No. No, no, no. Don’t think negatively!’ 

 

He sighed, and stretched his muscles. The sound of a twig snapping made him jerk to a stand, tensing, eyeing his surroundings warily. 

 

He moved to dodge an attack as Wen Zhuliu came from the woods, gasping in pain as he felt a sword stab him to the hilt from behind him. Blood spurted from the wound made by the sword in the upper left side of his chest, near his shoulder, before the blade was ripped out of him brutally by his assailant. 

 

Wen Chao! 

 

Wei Wuxian coughed and spat blood from his mouth, kicked to the ground by Wen Chao. His hair was gripped in a fist, and his head yanked up to face Wen Chao. Wen Chao's face was twisted with cruelty as he lorded over Wei Wuxian with a smug sneer and countenance, mocking him.

 

"Down already, eh, Wei Wuxian? You arrogant brat, daring to think you're better than me? Making a fool of me, and mocking me! You really seek death! Put down with one strike after all that jumping around at the Xuanwu cave of Slaughter, how proud you were! And look at you now! Nothing but dirt under my shoes!" Wen Chao sneered and laughed, now pressing Wei Wuxian's face into the ground with his foot. 

 

 Wang Lingjiao called out in an impatient tone, "Young Master, quickly cut off his hand! He still owes you an arm! Cut it off!" 

 

Wei Wuxian sneered at them, spitting in Wen Chao's face when he was jerked to his feet, held by Wen Chao's minions, the wound on his chest still bleeding. 

 

  Wen Chao, "No, no. We're not in any hurry. We've finally found and gotten our hands on him. I don't want him to die so soon. I want to relish this moment with him in my grasp and completely powerless." 

 

Wei Wuxian barked out a sharp laugh, "Come on then, bring it on, whatever torture techniques you have, go ahead and bring them out! Do your worst!"

 

'If I'm going to die anyway, might as well have a little fun pissing this bastard off,' Wei Wuxian thought.

 

 Wen Chao scorned him, "So close to death, and you still run your mouth, always playing hero!"

 

Wei Wuxian laughed again, his eyes blazing with resentment and hatred, "Exactly. It's because I'm so close to death like you say that I'm happy! I'm only scared that I won't die. If you have the courage, do it then, what are you waiting for, hmm? Go ahead and torture me to death. The crueler, the better, if you dare. Once I die, I swear that I will come back as a ferocious ghost to torment you and watch you squirm! I will haunt the Qishan Wen Sect day and night, cursing all of you! I'll never let you know peace! Mark my words, Wen Chao!"

 

Hearing this, Wen Chao paused, hesitating. 

 

Wei Wuxian was calmer, even knowing he was so close to death, knowing he would die.

 

Wen Chao felt a little bit of fear, and kicked Wei Wuxian out of spite and anger. The Wens beat Wei Wuxian bloody until Wen Chao ordered them to stop. 

 

Wei Wuxian wheezed and coughed, spitting out a mouthful of blood. His heart was set, steeled with determination.

 

Wen Chao spoke again, "Wei Ying, you always think you're not scared of anything, don't you? Thinking that nothing can scare you? You think that you're so brave and courageous, don't you?

 

Wei Wuxian only replied, "Wow! I'm impressed! I didn't think Wen-dogs were capable of understanding human speech! Must have been hard on you to do so!"

 

 Wen Chao smashed a fist into his face and gave a hideous smile, "Keep it up! Keep showing off how amazing you are with words! I'd like to see how long your hero act will last with you trying so hard!"

 

 Wen Chao signaled for his subordinates to hold Wei Wuxian down and Wen Zhuliu hauled him back up in his grasp. They got on their swords and carried him.

 

They took him high in the air, and far away from the town and the mountains. After flying for some time, they all stopped. 

 

They were in the air above a black mountain, the clouds parting to show its jagged edges. It emitted a chilling aura of death. It makes one's blood run cold when looking at it, chilling you down to the bone. 

 

Wen Chao spoke, "Wei Ying, do you know what this place is? Do you know where we are?" He sneered, "This place is called the Burial Mounds."

 

Just hearing the name caused a wave of cold air crawled up Wei Wuxian's spine to the back of his head, which made the hairs on the back of his neck prickle at the ominous feeling and sinking sensation of dread filled the pit of his stomach. 

 

    "Burial Mounds is right in Yiling," Wen Chao continued, "You've probably heard of it, right? This place is a mountain of corpses, an ancient battlefield. No matter where, or what spot you pick - you can use a shovel to dig and find a corpse anywhere. Other nameless corpses are tossed here wrapped in a mat only." 

 

   They descended closer, slowly approaching the black peak of the mountain. "Tsk, tsk. Such sinister aura of air, no? Resentful energy is suffocatingly thick here in this forsaken place, isn't it? You can feel it, can't you? Even my Wen sect is unable to do anything about it.  It's only daytime but anything can be found here at night. When a living person enters this wretched place - both their body and soul cannot return; forever trapped here and unable to leave for all eternity-" Wen Chao snatched up Wei Wuxian by the hair, a distorted grin upon his face as he spoke the last words slowly and carefully to Wei Wuxian - "and  so will you!" Wen Chao finished with a laugh and threw Wei Wuxian down.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

 

Wei Wuxian's eyes went wide as he fell from sky into the darkness below with a long, terrible scream before darkness overtook his vision, until he saw and felt nothing. 

 


 

     Nie Mingjue grimaced. Can the kid not catch a break? Wen Chao must have got what he deserved for sure. Wei Wuxian already went through so much in such a short span of time and basically gets tossed into a hell of a place, making it worse. Wen Chao was a disgusting Wen-dog but he wasn't wrong about Burial Mounds being an absolutely horrid place.

 

   The dots were starting to connect. Wei Wuxian, who gave up his golden core to Jiang Cheng and ended up tossed into that place with no core, no spiritual energy… what else could he do if not turn to Demonic Cultivation? He had no other power, no other way to survive. 

   Wei Wuxian was trapped in that place for three months… Nie Mingjue shook his head. Wei Wuxian had no choice but to walk the path of demonic cultivation. Nie Mingjue really wanted to hit himself for being an utter fool.     

  And Nie Huaisang was right all along... but Nie Mingjue had ignored him, blinded by his own ego and self-righteousness. It seemed he owed that clever, troublesome younger brother of his, who was crying into his chest quietly, shoulders shaking. He wrapped his arms around Nie Huaisang and held him while he cried for the loss of his friend and his suffering. 

 Lan Wangji was distraught. He had exhausted his tears. His heart was in agony watching Wei Ying suffer this way, and there was nothing he could do to stop it, he could not save Wei Ying. 

   Lan Wangji desperately wished he could go back in time to find Wei Ying and hug him and apologize. He wishes he could apologize to him for not being at his side, for not standing with him. But he can’t... And it’s too late. All too late... He will never be able to say the words he’d always wanted to say to him. 

 

 Lan Qiren berated himself in his mind, ' You blind old fool! How could you not have known, how could you not have seen it? You could have helped him! You could have searched for the truth instead of condemning him! But all you did was scorn and condemn him! And without even knowing the truth! Not knowing of Wei Wuxian's sacrifices and suffering! Why? Why?! And you helped end his life! Why?!!'

  Lan Xichen felt terrible shame and guilt. If only that has really looked and tried to find the truth and not immediately condemn Young Master Wei… they could have helped him. But instead, they did nothing and sided with the majority who condemned him. 

    Maybe if they had tried harder and done something different, had bothered to seek the truth, his brother wouldn't be heartbroken and mourning Young Master Wei's death, the loss of his heart…Lan Xichen bowed his head. Oh, Wangji, we have wronged you and Young Master terribly, I'm so sorry, didi…

 

  Jiang Cheng's eyes were bloodshot, he stared at his hands blankly. There was much he wanted to say… but the person he wished to say them to was already dead and gone. Jiang Cheng thought of his brother's body lying cold and motionless in his old room, preserved by a spell where he used to sleep and br so lively when they were younger. Jiang Cheng felt desperate, insides hurting as though they were raw and bleeding. Maybe… possibly…

     Jiang Cheng knew it was a fool's wish but the thought of his brother coming back somehow invigorated him, sparked a small flare of hope in him. Jiang Cheng found a spell to preserve its body in its natural state, not letting it rot and decay. If he could do that much… then surely… maybe there was a way his brother could be brought back? 

   Maybe it was an insane thought, completely absurd, but Jiang Cheng clung to the idea anyway. Maybe… he really could… maybe he would… but he couldn't do anything right now… he had suspicions that Chenqing and Suibian knew already, obviously, but he could not let the others know, except… Jiang Cheng's gaze landed on Lan Wangji who seemed utterly heartbroken. 

     Lan Wangji seemed to care deeply for brother. Lan Wangji could be his ally and help him. He hoped so anyway... but he had to wait, be patient and watch his brother's memories. Jiang Cheng fisted his hands, and tears stung his eyes, he had turned his back on his brother… but he wouldn't make the same mistake, so long as he brought him back, Jiang Cheng would be better, do better, and make it up to him; and hope Jiejie would forgive him for spitting on her sacrifice to save their brother. He had to get another chance. He had to. Just one more chance. 

 

('Please. Please forgive me, brother. Please come back, and give me one last chance… that's all I ask, You can see and meet Jin Ling. You'd be always welcomed home at Lotus Pier, but only if you come back, Wei Wuxian, brother, please. Please let me help you come back. 

 Please!')

  A ruckus sounded throughout the room and garnered everyone's attention.

 

  Suibian had flashed quickly to stand in front of Jin Guangshan, stopping him from attempting to flee.

 

  "Where the hell do you think you're going, eh? You really thought we wouldn't notice you trying to sneak away?  You piece of shit! You no good sack of garbage!" Suibian got in the Jin Sect leader’s face.

  The crowd of cultivators gasped, some made a move to stand and help, but backed down after feeling a chilling aura come from Chenqing who was watching the scene. All eyes were glued to it, watching.

 Members of the Jin clan tried to attack Suibian but were immediately trapped, wrapped up by tendrils of resentful energy and held tightly, unable to escape. 

 

  "You have some nerve! The fucking audacity you have, for a coward like yourself is pretty astounding!" Suibian laughed darkly. "You are the worst kind of human, nothing but a disgusting waste of space - human filth. You're a scourge and a blight, tainting the very air. You don't even deserve to be breathing right now for all you've done." Suibian growled. 

 

   Jin Guangshan shouted and cursed when Suibian raised a fist and punched him in the face. Jin Guangshan squealed from the pain, holding his broken nose. Suibian snatched him up the collar of his gold robes with a vicious snarl, Suibian's killing intent emanating off him in waves. Jin Guangshan shuddered and flailed uselessly.

 

  "How dare you?! Unhand me! I am the Jin Sect leader! You can't treat me this way!" Jin Guangshan snapped, scowling at Suibian, who gave him a chilling grin, arching a brow, letting out a sardonic laugh in Jin Guangshan's face.

 

    "So? Your point? Does it look like I fucking care? You being a sect leader means nothing to me, dumbass. See, Jin Guangshan, I know exactly the kind of person you are, a filthy good for nothing manwhore who thinks he is above everyone, and that the rest of the world is dirt beneath his feet, right? But that is where you are undeniably wrong. You are nothing.Your status as a sect leader is just a meaningless fucking title to me. I don't care. You cultivators think your so fucking righteous! You piss me off just looking at you. It really turns my stomach, making me nauseous! And you are the biggest fucking fraud of them all! I detest a scum of a man like you!" Suibian snarled, his hold tightening, making Jin Guangshan flinch, eyes widening with fear. "Ugh , Chenqing, come wrap this disgusting thing up, I can't believe I'm even touching this filthy, nauseating man." Suibian dropped the man from his grasp in a repulsed manner and Chenqing did just that, immobilizing Jin Guangshan. Suibian shuddered visibly, his expression disgusted, he rubbed his hands on his robes, "Ughh. Why did I touch that loathsome waste of trash? Caught in the moment I suppose." 

 

  Jin Guangshan made an offended noise that no one acknowledged and he was held tight in Chenqing's grasp of resentful energy.

 

   Suibian sighed, becoming much calmer, and turned his hostile gaze back onto Jin Guangshan. "Chenqing and I know what you have done. Did you believe you could get away unscathed if you really provoked us? You and all your clan couldn't stop us. Even your clever little mastermind of a son, Jin Guangyao." Suibian's eyes flicked to said person who was watching him warily but stayed silent and didn't make a move. 

    Suibian smirked. "Even Jin Guangyao won't come to your aid, he knows the precarious position that you both are in. Why don't you follow his example and try not to be or do anything so foolishly stupid again, kay? We're not done here, not yet, so sit back and watch. And, hey! Look! You even get a front row seat this time!" Suibian smiled and spoke lighter, elevating his aura before his expression shifted, changing. Suibian grinned, eyes sparkling. "I have the best idea, Chenqing! We can punish him by letting him hang upside down from the ceiling for a little while for the memory viewing. I think it would be fun! Can we?" 

 

The crowd of cultivators all gave each other a glance before staring at Suibian with odd expressions. "....." What? You want him to hang upside down from the ceiling as punishment???! 

 

 Suibian arched a brow and crossed his arms as he looked over them all, "What are you all staring at? This punishment is much more fun, well… only second to outright killing him just yet." He titled his head to the side, grinning, "It's like you all want me to kill him! Hm, Chenqing, can I, you think? Or is it too soon?" He glanced back at the other, who gave him an exasperated sigh and look. 

 

   "......"

 

   "......"

 

  What?! No! That's not it! Why do you jump to that conclusion?! Everyone thought in their hearts, though some secretly hated Jin Guangshan, so they didn't care, they were all for it but for Suibian to jump to that  conclusion and say all that…Just what kind of monster is he, with that personality?!

 

Suibian shrugged, smirked. "Fine, first option it is then."  

 

   And so Jin Guangshan was forced to hang upside down from the ceiling for some time as punishment. Some cultivators couldn't help snicker at the Jin sect leader who was put in such a humiliating position. 

 

   Suibian seemed to be cool and laid back now, calm as can be while lounging on the ground against a pillar; grinning and enjoying watching Jin Guangshan whose shouts were muffled by a black tendril cover his mouth as he wiggled back and forth, red in the face as he struggled.

  No one was fooled, they had just witnessed a tiger baring his fangs before hiding them away again, but ever watchful of his prey and ready and waiting for an opening, assessing for a weakness to strike and for the kill. They shivered, shook their heads and turned away. 

   It had been some time since they started and everyone was pale and worn,  stunned and emotionally wrung out from the memories they had just witnessed.  

 

     Lan Wangji had stopped crying sometime ago, but his gaze was forlorn and searching, lost in turmoil. Jiang Cheng was quiet and subdued, face hidden and looking down. Lan Qiren just gazed heavily into space, with a weighed down heart, deeply lost in his thoughts. 

   Lan Xichen was no better, shackled down by an invisible wave of guilt. Nie Huaisang was crying quietly into his brother's chest as Nie Mingjue tried to comfort him, his own heart hurting, stabbed by shame and guilt.

 

  And judging by Suibian's reaction just moments ago, they all knew they were missing something, but what was it? What did they not know?

 

     Just what was going on?

3