Chapter 6
61 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wei Wuxian whimpered, agony shooting throughout every nerve in his body, his bones rattled and bruised by his fall. He was crawling slowly on his stomach; fingers dragging into the dark earth of Burial Mounds to pull himself forward little by little, his eyes nailed on the bright light far away from him, the path out of Burial Mounds. A way out of this dark hell hole of death and black jagged mountain peak. 

     It was a fool's hope with his body's condition. The hard impact of his fall had been lessened, having landed on a few ledges to stop any severe broken injuries from occurring. He was unable to stop the momentum to keep from falling further down to the bottom. 

     Wei Wuxian was sure he had broken the bones in his legs and arms, he felt bruised and battered and had no more energy, no more strength to stand. So he could only crawl. He still had that bleeding stab wound on the left side of his chest.

 ‘Come on, dammit, just a little further, Wei Wuxian. Keep moving, just keep moving’, Wei Wuxian thought to himself desperately, the light up ahead was still so distant. He choked up, angry tears stung his eyes. Please, just a little further. Giggles sounded around him.

He turned to look behind him, terror filling his expression. A mass of resentful energy surrounded him, slithering around his body - wrapping tightly around him.

   Wei Wuxian wriggled and tried to shake it off and twist it away but it continued to cling to him. "Ahh!"  he choked, his body suddenly being invaded and pierced by the resentful energy. He screamed. 


   Lan Wangji gazed at the scenes of Wei Wuxian's memory. His heart suffered so much…. And he hadn't been there for him… not even at the end when his beloved thought he was all alone and loathed by everyone when he died, killing himself when he chose to destroy the Stygian Tiger Seal and the corpses he'd been controlling bite and tear into him.

    Lan Wangji had been in seclusion, healing from his punishment. He had to hear the death of his heart from the mouth of his brother and overheard how he died from the mouths of others. The cultivators that had besieged his Wei Ying had gloated and told the gory tale to all who'd listen and agree that Wei Wuxian, the evil Yiling Patriarch had gotten what he deserved. 

    Lan Wangji felt his heart crumble away even more, nothing but tiny unseen shards scattered to the wind like the remains of the man who captured his heart forever lost. Gone… gone….gone. 

  Jiang Cheng clutched at his chest. The pain was near unbearable. He felt he had been carved inside out. He felt his intestines had been slowly scooped out with a spoon and placed upon a platter. How… How! How could he not know of his brother’s suffering?! Why did Wei Wuxian not tell him? He could have confided in him… why didn't he? Did Wei Wuxian think he somehow could not? 

  Brother… I don't understand why... Please… please tell me why... Jiang Cheng begged in his trembling heart, but his brother's voice was silent. He could not answer him, maybe not ever again… unless Jiang Cheng could attempt the impossible as his sect motto said… and somehow bring his brother back to life. He had his brother's whole body, which was being preserved by an ancient spell for however long he wished. 

   However, he needed to see his brother's memories through to the end. He owed him that much and possibly more…

     What's more… he missed him and wanted him back… he regretted leading the siege against him in the first place and it was far too late to take it all back… What would Jiejie think of him now if she were still here? How disappointed would she be in him?

    Jiang Cheng didn't want to know the answer to that question, didn't want to even think about it but in his heart… he already knew. 

   

   Lan Qiren shook his head in dismay, outraged at himself. So this is how that boy had turned to that path. Not out of choice. There was no choice. It was a necessity. How blind could he have been?! How did I let things go so far? Lan Qiren didn't even have a word to say. What could be said at this point? 'I'm sorry?', 

   'I'm sorry', wasn't even enough. It would not change all the things that happened and could not fix them.

    What's done is done and Lan Qiren hates that he has part of the blame to bear, along with regret and sorrow. 

    But maybe… maybe some things could be done when the viewing was over...so that he could atone. 

   Yes, he would do whatever he could to atone for being so foolish and turning a blind eye, for being unjust and prejudiced to one who never deserved it. And Wangji… Oh, Wangji. His nephew… Lan Qiren and their sect did him a great injustice punishing him with a discipline whip

Lan Wangji had attacked the thirty-three elders in Wei Wuxian's defense but even with his impeccable cultivation and strength - he tried to hold back and did his utmost to defend the one he gave his heart to (to who at the time was not in his right mind and grieving as well), the one he believed was good and kind in his heart… and they attacked first, cornering him and leaving him no choice in a desperate attempt to save the beloved of his heart, even if it was all in vain. 

   But really from the start… it was never really Wei Wuxian who attacked first… no… it was them.

  They antagonized him, instigated quarrels with him just because of the path of cultivation he chose and other 'issues' they had about his character when in truth… it was always them… and Jin Guangshan at the forefront but Lan Qiren and his sect, as well as others... went along with it and didn't even bat an eye. And they accused Wei Wuxian of everything, crimes he didn't commit, and blamed him for fighting back and lashing out when it finally became too much.

  They were all fools. 

Such idiotic fools who had prejudices and other things, calling ourselves righteous while being the exact opposite. 

    Lan Qiren sighed.

How and when… did we all fall this far?

 Nie Huaisang was still snuggled up into his brother's embrace, his tears had subsided. His brother usually wasn't so open or affectionate but a slight change had seemed to overcome him. 

  Whatever it was… Nie Huaisang was grateful. 

     Nie Huaisang pulled back just a little and shifted, fanning himself in the face and eyed Jin Guangshan sharply.

   So, it seems my intel wasn't wrong after all. Jin Guangshan and Jin Guangyao did something to Wei-Xiong… what they did was despicable. 

   Nie Huaisang would not forgive them or let them off easy for what they did to his friend but… well… Suibian and Chenqing shared that sentiment even more so, as Wei-Xiong was their master.

   Nie Huaisang's eyes glinted into a pleased expression as a smirk crept upon his face. 

  Well, he would at least get to sit back and enjoy the show… my, my, won't that be fun?

 Nie Huaisang schooled his expression quickly when he felt his brother's keen eyes on him, letting that old inner natural nervousness and timid energy fill him. He also let his sadness be known, allowing it to show.  

 He peeked at his brother from the corner of his eyes, and relaxed, a quiet giggle escaped him. Ah, good. His brother didn't notice.

  He made sure that his fan veiled his expression and turned back ahead. 

  Nie Mingjue studied his brother closely, after noticing what he had tried so quickly and so hard to hide. How interesting… He arched a brow, still staring at his little brother before turning his attention back to the image of  Wei Wuxian's memory with a heavy heart.

   He could not change what had happened… but Nie Mingjue would uphold himself to atone his mistakes in any way he could. 

  Suibian lay stretched out on his side nonchalantly, his hair vibrantly splayed around his head like a fiery halo. Jin Guangshan wiggled and struggled with a red face above him. Suibian yawned, still drowsy from such a long sleep that Chenqing rudely woke him from.

  Muffled, indignant screams could be heard from above him. Suibian growled in annoyance, glaring up at said annoyance. "Do you ever shut the fuck up? How does your sect put up with you whining and shouting all the time?" Suibian snapped. 

   Chenqing looked at him, pausing the memory of their master being stabbed by resentful energy again and again, and it wasn't over.

   Chenqing realized Suibian's train of thought and allowed it, only using some of his energy to slightly break the sect leaders fell so he wouldn't be injured, well… not much, anyway.

  The other cultivators of all the sects looked over at them too, half curious, half fearful. Nervous and uncertain. They wanted to watch another spectacle but they flinched away at the expression on Suibian's face - like an indulgent exotic predator playing with its food before devouring it whole. 

   The Jin Sect leader had only been like that for a little while and his incessant whining was grating Suibians nerves. 

  He had planned to make the fucker stay stuck up there longer but… 

   Suibian grinned a cheshire grin. What could be more humiliating than that? 

   Suibian looked up at the Jin Sect leader, still grinning widely. "You want down?" Jin Guangshan nodded eagerly, not aware of what was to happen.

   Suibian shrugged. "Alright, then! I'll let you down." The movement was quick and decisive. A bright flash of steel sang high through the air abruptly, cutting through the resentful energy swiftly and cutting away Jin Guangshan's bindings. 

  Jaws dropped as Jin Guangshan fell from the ceiling, flailing and shaking his head no and smacked the ground hard before Suibians relaxed form, a glint in Suibian's eyes as he caught the sword that flew back to him. It was marked Suibian. Suibian was wielding his sword body like it was an extension of himself. 

    All eyes were wide in amazement at the display. And Suibian refuses to offer an explanation to anyone. 

  "Yeah… sorry, not sorry. You wanted down, so… I let you down. Now, don't move and stay right there where you belong." Suibian sneered, snickering, kicking a boot down on the Jin sect leader’s back. 

  Suibian then proceeded to use the Jin Sect leader’s back as a footstool with his legs crossed and he was smirking. "Ahhh... Now, this is much better." He chirped in smug satisfaction, lazily eyeing the tomato faced Jin Guangshan who tried and failed to remove Suibian's legs off him. Jin Guangshan was so angry and ruffled that he started cursing and shouting. "Now, now. That's not nice. And also, there's no way your puny human strength is a match for mine in this human form. And you all are wondering from earlier, I wasn't going to explain but as simply as I can put it, I am Suibian and the sword is also Suibian. It and I are one of the same. I am the spirit of the sword and the sword itself, and if I can have a solid physical human body outside the sword Suibian, then I can also wield it. We are extensions of each other. If it gives you a headache and it's too much to think about then don't. I won't give any of you any other kind of explanation even if there were any. But know that there is only one of me and not two." Suibian finished speaking to the crowd of cultivators and turned his attention back on the one under his feet who was still screeching, Suibian had just been ignoring him. Suibian kept his feet crossed upon his back, watching him squirm. "You should really know when to shut up. If you value that tongue of yours. Maybe I should just  sever it, hm?" He pondered. 

   The Jin sect members were angry at the leader’s treatment by Suibian. Some stood up and moved to rush forward. Suibian looked at them, his eyes cold and hard but his tone sounded playful.

  "Ah, ah," Suibian waggled a finger at them, "I would think very wisely before doing something idiotic and foolish. Clearly, you should already know you are outmatched. I mean, honestly, I would welcome the fight. It's been so long since I had one, so long since my blade has been used. That I have been used. Since master was unable to after giving away his golden core because he was worried about being constantly challenged for stupid reasons you lot could come up with and be unable to use spiritual energy since he did not have it anymore and you all believed him to be arrogant. From where I sit, the astounding arrogance you have when you have nothing to show for it is ridiculous. Repulsive. If you wish to fight, I'm more than happy to oblige you. I promise you though- the fight will be over before you dumbasses even realize it," Subian paused before continuing every clearly, "And the moment you draw your blades is the moment that I will destroy you. I will beat down on that arrogance and shove it down your fucking throats so that you choke on it. Do you understand? And by destroying you, you don't have to worry about me killing you, for death is far too kind for all of you, too easy of a way out. I'm simply going to beat that stupid arrogance, self-righteousness into the ground, and humiliate you until you wish you were dead. That's not a threat either, it's a promise." Suibian snapped his teeth, baring them, eyes blazing fiercely. He stood and stomped a foot down on the Jin sect leader’s face, pressing it into the floor as he stared at the Jin sect clan, the sword in his hand by his side. 

   Suibian's aura was fierce, yet playful somehow and still… domineering. He snarled at the Jin clan and they flinched, immediately taking their seats once more and backing down. Suibian then turned his burning yet icy gaze onto Jin Guangshan, "Now, if I were you, I would stay fucking silent and stop your damn whining and watch the memories of a man whose name you cursed and sullied with your filthy fucking mouth, you disgusting, slimy good for nothing manwhore piece of shit! Foul human scum!" 

    This person, Suibian, is very… chaotic, the other cultivators thought. Well, at least he could be anyway. Under all that… A few could almost see that he was hurt, in pain, and angry - so angry. Even a few of the elderly, the far more seasoned cultivators - could almost envision a wounded beast lashing out, not for his own sake… but because the master he cares for and misses was gone. 

    And this was Suibian's revenge. His personality was versatile, having many parts that made him not just a sword… but also so very human, even if he wasn't truly one. 

   That didn't mean Suibian was wrong and not justified. He was. They were the ones in the wrong, and it was slowly starting to dawn on them all. 

   Suibian was undoubtedly strong and formidable, fierce and domineering, yet playful and loyal to the core of his being. He was very much like a fierce tiger on the prowl currently, and they were the prey within his sights. Luckily it was more Jin Guangshan and not them in the crosshairs. 

  But… that didn't mean they were absolved of anything, that they were not in the clear and free of their guilt. 

   Whatever Jin Guangshan did to get on Suibian and Chenqing's bad side, well… it must have been quite terrible. 

   What could it be?

   


  Wei Wuxian screamed in torment, in complete anguish as he was jerked around, limbs forcibly twisting horribly in all directions as the resentful energy pierced through him, black veins crawling up his flesh as he was invaded but the terrible feeling of resentful.energy squirming inside his body - all the way to the cavity of where his golden core used to be.

    He wanted to cry, to scream for help, for someone to come save him but all he could do against the torture was scream until he couldn't, losing his voice. 

  It hurt too much… he was tired of fighting it even as they restrained him, making it more impossible with his already weak strength. Resentful energy poured into his mouth, cramping down his throat. He gagged and choked but he couldn't move. He couldn't fight it off. 

  He was -

Scared. 

Cold. 

Alone.

 And so exhausted...

  He shuddered but forced himself to relax at the disgusting invasion, fighting against it did him no good when he had no power, no spiritual energy. 

  He saw a red wave of resentful energy surround him, engulfing everything in his vision. Wei Wuxian squeezed his eyes closed, hatred and resentment filling his heart to the brim.

  The burning and fall of Lotus Pier at the Wens hands.

  Uncle Jiang and Madam Yu's dead bodies, along with his shidis, his friends lying in a heap of piles of corpses of members of his clan discarded like trash.

   His eyes snapped open, a red glint in them as he was completely overcome by the resentful energy and was dragged into the depths of the large blood pool beneath. 


     No! Wei Ying! Lan Wangji's heart cried out painfully, his expression desolate and broken.

  Brother! Jiang Cheng thought, making an unconscious move to reach out and grab Wei Wuxian as if he could save him. But it was too late for that. 

  

  Lan Qiren bowed his head dismay, distraught, and filled with shame and guilt. 

  

  Lan Xichen closed his eyes with a heavy, burdened sigh. I'm sorry, Young Master Wei. 

  I'm sorry…

  Nie Mingjue's heart twinged painfully, immensely saddened and weighed down by his own guilt. Tears stung Nie Huaisang's eyes as he ducked his head behind his fan.

  Forgive me, Wei-Xiong, I'm sorry I wasn't a better friend. If I could do it all over, I would stand beside you as your friend. I'm sorry, Wei-Xiong… 


  A pale hand emerged from the blood pool, fingers digging into the dirt and then a second hand. Two pale hands clawed the earth until a head appeared and then a body, dragging themselves out of the blood pool to lay on the ground and gasp for breath.

  Wei Wuxian lay still, gazing up into a dark clouded sky. He sat up slowly before pulling to his feet. He blinked down at himself, how he was able to stand without pain meaning his broken bones were no longer broken, but he was still wounded - his bruises and stab wound had not healed but he was still alive (or was he?) and then at the blood pool he just pulled himself out of after what felt like an eternity, but who knew how long in truth… The blood pool had somehow healed his body enough that he could move and stand… how peculiar...  His expression stayed blank, analyzing his surroundings again. He heard the voices of the souls trapped here. He could feel the resentful energy twist and curl beneath his skin. 

  'I'm more than likely still stuck in this hellish place as well. And there is only one possible way to get out so that I don’t die in this place.' Wei Wuxian thought. 

  He would have to utilize the resentful energy to break his way out but he'd first have to bend it to his will… 

 

 His stomach grumbled painfully. He was starving. There were no good food sources in this place… but if he didn't do something he would die of starvation if he was trapped here for some time. 

 'First things first.'

 He walked all the way to the path that would lead the way out of this place, standing at the entrance. He reached out with a hand and tried to pass it through, using as much strength as he could. He yelled as he was blown back by force, landing hard on his back.

  'Fuck, that hurt.' He scowled.

So Wen Chao was right. That bastard. Leaving this place would not be easy after all. 

'Damn it all!'

He needed more.

He needed power. 

Power to free himself from this wretched place, the power to help Jiang Cheng, the power to topple the Wens, and get revenge.

Power to protect those he held dear to his heart. 

Because without his golden core… if he didn't turn to Demonic Cultivation...he had nothing, he was just a normal person with no power. No power at all.

 That was not acceptable!

He would do whatever it takes, no matter the cost to himself.

He had to!

~~●■●~~

  Time passed slowly and Wei Wuxian went through tons of trial and error trying to tame and bend the resentful energy under his will. 

  He was often assaulted by voices raging in his mind and ghouls attacking him. 

 His food source, (being flesh from the dead bodies tossed in this place), it was downright distasteful and a desperate act and not at all what he would prefer eating but it was all he had. When he had to force it down the first time he gagged and threw everything up. But he kept forcing it until he got used to eating it.


  The crowd of cultivators faces were all green, some threw up themselves and some fainted watching Wei Wuxian force himself to eat dead flesh, some had to look away.

That was not something you should get used to. They shuddered. 


   It took lots of time and work and effort but finally, he succeeded. The ghouls, trapped souls and corpses all tried to fight against him but this time he was the one in control. He would not be subdued. 

  He used resentful energy to send out a shock wave, blowing them all black and making them stop under his command. The trapped creatures of Burial Mounds had turned fearful. He released them and they ran the other direction, not wanting to be controlled. He wasn't weak and without power anymore. He was no longer an easy prey. 

  Wei Wuxian grinned. 'That's more like it.' 

 However, he wasn't satisfied with that. He needed something to help better control it.

A conduit. 

Wei Wuxian thought of Lan Wangji's clan and using instruments…

Hmm. 

What would be suitable as a conduit? 

… He needed something…

'Aha!' Wei Wuxian thought with excitement, eyes sparkling. He had the perfect idea!

  ~~■☆■~~

    Wei Wuxian wielded his new instrument, stroking the black flute he'd named Chenqing. He brought it to his lips and played, his eyes sparking and turning blood red as he played and controlled the resentful energy while he stood before the entryway he would be leaving this hellhole through. 

  It resisted him, but he continued, and fought back harder. 

 'Almost there…. C'mon… almost… and…  got it!'

  Wei Wuxian felt the barrier shattered, creating a massive shockwave of black dust from the earth of Burial Mounds. 

  Wei Wuxian laughed, delighted. 

He was free of this place! 

   He remembered Wen Chao and how he had thrown him into this hell and what he had done to his sect. 

A wide, sinister grin crept upon his face, eyes glowing an eerie red.

  'Wen Chao, You and I will be seeing each other real soon.'

  Just you wait, Wen Chao, just you wait.

  'I'm just getting started,' Wei Wuxian thought as he strode forward, leaving Burial Mounds behind him, and striding into the light after so long of being shrouded in darkness. 

  It was time to begin. 


  The crowd of cultivators winced, chills crawling over their bodies from the ominous feeling of the memory and Wei Wuxians bloodlust and hatred for Wen Chao. 

    Everyone shuddered, they almost, almost -  pitied Wen Chao up against Wei Wuxian's determination and retribution. 

   But they didn't pity him, not one bit. Wen Chao had gotten whatever he deserved. 

    

 Suibian snickered and bumped Chenqing with his shoulder. "You can totally tell what they're thinking. Wen Chao deserved our master's ire and his revenge. It seems at this moment they forgot they probably deserve the same fate if not worse, cutting down those innocent Wen remnant's master had under his protection and then slaughtered them without hesitation. People who had been living peacefully, who hadn't harmed a soul nor had they ever handled a weapon, so ruthlessly cut down," He murmured to Chenqing in repulsion.

   Chenqing hummed in agreement, Suibian studied him critically. "Oi, what's up with you?" Suibian nudged him. Chenqing gave him a look, "Now look at who's being annoying." Suibian turned his nose up, sniffing. "Haha. Out with it." He demanded, staring at Chenqing. 

  I can't say it out loud, you dolt.

Suibian rolled his eyes. So say it like this then.

 Chenqing sighed. Have you realized anything since you've been awake? You are aware that our master's body lies in his room, his body preserved from decay and rot?

 Suibian blinked at him. Yes of course I do, you let me know the moment you woke me up since I was in such a deep sleep.

Well, it appears that Sect Leader Jiang feels remorseful and will seek to bring our master back once we have shown them all his memories. Chenqing replied.

 Suibian frowned internally, You may like to call me an idiot but I'm not and I'm not blind. I suspected as much. Isn't that a good thing? What if there is a way for our master to come back?

Really, Suibian? What about what he wanted? After all of that, what makes you think you will want to return to the living, and even so,  master still won't have a golden core and that means that he -

Stop. Stop, Chenqing! I know this already. He still won't be able to wield me as he once did. But that's fine… as long as I can be by his side this time… that's all I want…

 Suibian's reply was a shaky broken thought, tears shimmered in eyes, few escaping for he quickly blinked him away.

 

 Is it wrong to hope, Chenqing? Will you at least allow me that much?

No, I suppose it's not, Suibian, not at all. Chenqing thought, his tone apologetic and he sent a wave of comfort to Suibian, pushing an image of them sitting back to back, heads leaning on each other's shoulders, both their eyes closed in content. 

  Suibians heart softened and he calmed, comforted by the image which had been Chenqing's intent. He knew Chenqing missed him as much as he did. 

  Thanks, Chenqing. 

Of course, idiot.

  Suibian grinned warmly at Chenqing, who hummed in return. It was strange how close they were, the bond that connected them, but honestly? It wasn’t all that bad as he had thought it was in the beginning.

  It was pleasant, comforting. 

  Suibian turned a speculative, sharp gaze onto Jiang Cheng, and he noted the golden thread that connected him to Jiang Cheng. Master's golden core. 

  He didn't feel Jiang Cheng deserved it, honestly, but his master still cherished him and Jiang Cheng at least knew that although he had his masters core, he wouldn't dare claim to be his master and wield him. 

  Besides, he had Zidian and Sandu. 

And he'd never accept that man as his master, his master is and would always be Wei Ying - Wei Wuxian.

 Suibian would assist Jiang Cheng in any way he could if it meant that his master would come back.

  So long as he could stay by his master's side and not be cast away again, everything would be fine. 

  The thought of being cast away and abandoned made fear crawl into his heart, chilling him to the bone.

   

  Suibian blinked, exhaling on a shaky breath, attempting to dissuade the fear from his heart. He knew it wasn't his master's fault, not really. He just had a big heart and was doing what he believed he needed to for someone he cared about. Suibian understood that, truly, he did.

  But that didn't mean it didn’t hurt him too. 

It didn't mean that Suibian could not feel that ache deep within him.

  His heart cried out to be useful to his master, to be by his side, to not be abandoned - to not be left behind like he was before. He needed to be needed, he needed to be by his master's side. He was his blade.   

   Suibian was made for him. His master needed him but had not been able to wield him. Suibian didn't mind if his master did not have his golden core if he came back to life. Suibian just wanted their master back and his master to have the chance to live in peace and be happy and Suibian would be the sword belonging at his side to defend and protect him.

  He missed his master. Both he and Chenqing missed him. 

  They needed him.

 If only he could come back, if he could have a second chance, Suibian and Chenqing would accompany him to protect and shield him. 

  If they could just stay by his side! 

That's all that mattered to Suibian, that's what would make him happy.

  Suibian ignored the pathetic less of a man beneath his boots, only making sure he could not crawl away from the weight and that he'd keep his damn mouth shut.

  Suibian sighed, thinking of Wei Wuxian, thinking of his master, and his chest ached with pain. 

  Oh, master… Suibian closed his eyes and bowed his head.

Please, master, let me accompany you this time, to whatever end. 

 Chenqing and I, we're still here, waiting for you.

  Please.

 Please don't leave me behind.

Not again.

Please….

Please don't abandon me…

I beg you, let me stay by your side.

My dear kind, foolish Master…

Please let me stay with you this time, okay?

 You'll promise me that, won't you? That's all I ask, alright? 

Please… Master…

I'm waiting…

2