CH01: Mysterious Ring 1
62 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Michael Marvin was in his second year of engineering college. He wasn’t good at studying, nor did he have a lot of friends.

He was 185cm tall, with quite a muscular body, yet he did not exercise. He never asserted his pride either.

He would usually sit alone and blankly stare out the window. Then he would suddenly shake his head as if he had some kind of mental disorder, making him look like an idiot.

If someone picked a fight with him, he would put on a sloppy smile and say, “Sorry,” making him the target of college bullies.

Looking at his healthy figure, the bullies were nervous that he would pick a fight, but when they realized he didn’t fight back, they started to harass him as if he owed them all a lot of money.

There were three bullies in Michael’s class.

“Hey, Coward Marvin!”

The crazy bastard, Paul Blanch, whom Michael nicknamed ‘know-it-all bastard,’ was 174cm tall and thin.
This fellow would always greet Michael with a fist whenever he met him.
He claimed that because Michael was big, he liked the feeling of hitting him.

Punch!

“Urgh!”

When Michael lowered his head after getting hit in the guts, Paul put him in a headlock.

“Marvin, my homie. What did you have for breakfast?” he said affectionately while hitting Michael’s head with his fist.

“I couldn’t eat today, hehe.”

Michael went through this every day, and every day he would put on a sloppy smile like today.

“Anyways, I saw that our Michael boy glanced at Asuna when you came in today. Do you want to fuck her or what?”

Asuna Yuuki was 177cm tall, popular because of her slim figure and innocent face. She was the only female student that would talk to Michael. She was first in their batch as well as the class representative, short for CR.

She was also the only student to bring up the topic of the harassment Michael endured.

Of course, she eventually abandoned him as well.

“Haha. No. It’s not like that.”

“It's not like that? Hmm? What is not like that? Huh? Aren’t you very hard right now?”

Paul punched Michael’s lower belly with his fist. Since he didn’t have any friends, his classmates would act like they didn’t see anything. Until first lecture started, Michael stayed in a slightly bent position and was dragged around in a headlock by the much smaller Paul.

After the first lecture ended, the boss, Raven Cross, called Michael over.

“Hey. That.”

Raven Cross was 190cm tall, with thick bones and developed muscles. He was the best fighter in school after Justin Timberlake. He demanded today’s Discrete Math assignment from Michael.

“Yeah. Here.”

Michael awkwardly laughed as he handed him his homework.

“Did you do your work properly this time?”

Last time Raven copied his answers, he was punished by the teacher.
That day, Michael was called over by Raven and was punched three times in the chest.

“Yeah. I answered them properly this time and made sure that both our assignments are completely different.”

“Good job,” Raven said before turning away. There weren’t many cases where he would personally hit Michael.

When the second lecture ended, the students became hungry.

“Danny! Danny! Where are you? Danny. Here you are, you fucking bastard!”

Slam!

As soon as the teacher left, the fellow who made his way from his seat in the back calling out ‘Danny,’ and the one that hit the back of Danny’s head was Mark Evans. He was 175cm tall, liked soccer, and was agile.
He was similarly good at swearing and lost his temper quite easily.

The kid who had been hit in the head, Daniel Hayden, was ranked even lower than Michael, being only 162cm tall, dark-skinned, and thin.

“Motherfucker, buy me a burger,” Mark said, and Paul stuck next to him and added, “Me too.”

Occasionally, they would give Daniel money, but seeing how they said “Buy me,” it looked like he would be buying them lunch today as usual.

During the break after the second lecture, no one would touch Michael, so he would blankly stare out of the window, picturing Paul swinging his fist at him.

Unexpectedly, he wasn’t angry.

‘Why is his punch always like that?’ he wondered.

It was a simple question.

There wasn’t enough power behind Paul Blanch’s jab. It was because his footing was sloppy. When he swung his fist, his shoulder didn’t turn enough. There was nothing to say about his waist, and his uselessly large swings couldn’t hit his target properly, wasting his energy. His wrist would shake as well.

Honestly, even though he was hit in the guts, it didn’t hurt a lot.

Like always, he would only act like it did.

‘At least Raven’s jabs are quite good... well...’

However, Raven’s fists didn’t meet his expectations either. Michael’s mind drew up the most effective punching method. His muscles, which weren’t noticeable even when he took off his clothes, wriggled. Even if he didn’t exercise, his muscles would develop when he imagined it for short periods of time.

‘No... No, I can’t.’

Michael slowly shook his head.

‘Not these thoughts again...’

To clear his mind, Michael blankly stared out of the window again, desperately trying to focus on the blue sky.

However, he would eventually think of those thoughts again.

‘Would it really turn out to be a proper jab like I imagined?’

‘If I fought, would I really win?’

He would then become startled and shake his head again, with a guilty conscience, desperately attempting to clear his mind.

‘Crazy bastard. Are you crazy? You’re a murderer. What do you mean fight? You have to atone your whole life.’

Michael appeared to be foolishly looking out the window; however, there was an intense conflict raging inside him.

‘...Still... I’m curious...’

Michael sat, supporting his chin, and his shoulder muscles wriggled and moved.

‘...Everyone looks so weak.’

Looking out the window, Michael compulsively shook his head again.

The class representative, Asuna Yuuki, looked at Michael with a pitiable look.

‘If he didn’t shake his head so much, maybe, just maybe he might not have become a target...’

Then she sighed softly and looked back at her notes.

‘So fucking annoying...’

4