Chapter 2 – Child of Fate
77 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Child of Fate.

"Hheuugh! *cough* Haehh! hehh!"

*Ba-Dump!*

Wooden crates scramble from the wagon that collides with me. And of course, I stumbled down on my butt before rolling twice on the dusty ground.

"Stinky brat! Use your eyes for goodness’ sake!"

"I'm sorry!" I tossed a hexagonal Ruse crystal as I get up immediately.

I didn't think of anything much as I just ran non-stop like a thief who stole from a police. Passing through the crowdiest part of the city, I made it to the main street. The main gate of the building I'm heading is visible from here. 

I ran to the point that I was considering maybe being a cultivator, just for times like this. I passed the gigantic gate, capable of fitting even dragons. A person crossing his arms was leaning in the shade was staring at me.

"Took you long enough, I thought you wouldn't make it."

"Hah… *pant* YOU! You're intentionally doing this huh? Why didn't you wake me up!? *pant* Useless damned bastard! " Tasha said.

"How rude, says the guy who can't even wake up early in the morning by himself. Indeed, I thought of changing your oversleeping habit, you should be thankful."

"Cheeky lil reptile bastard starts *pant* being smug now that he's *pant* enlightened, unlocking some power of the Heaven Realm just by hearing my nightly fart noises! JUST YO-"

"Save the compliment, your name is about to be called for the third time," Weiss said, cutting Tasha's non-stop barrage of rants.

"Ohh fuck! Why didn't you tell me earlier? Let's go, what are you waiting for?."

Both of them quickly head to the arena, not even stopping to talk to the receptionist. Tasha showed his badge ran straight without looking back.

"Kids these days *sigh*"

The receptionist facepalmed.

.-.-.-.-.

 

"One last announcement, Magi Tasha. The aforementioned will be eliminated if fail to present himself before the last drop of the Dust."

The announcer states loudly. His voice reaches the whole Coliseum. Then he puts down his arm away from his mouth, on which the Rune Bracelet rest.

"Please let's carry this along! I'm certain that he won't show up!" the gray-haired man said. Standing at the challenger's side. Behind him is a tunnel is so massive, it could be made into a 3-storey building.

"I agree, the Dust is almost running out." The announcer added, as he tidied his robe and tried to look as dignified as possible.

But before the last patches of Dust fell.

'How can this be!? Th-this is impossible!'

The remaining Dust stops falling from the hourglass. It still moves, but very-very slow. The old Judge is visibly restless, but he still tried to act calmly. Yet, nobody was able to tell the difference.

'I have been a Magi for almost four decades, but this is the first time I see it with my own eyes.'

Time Magic.

The most forbidden spell in all of Land of Order.

'He is able to maintain it for so long… A respectable senior, unreachable even if I spend 100 years of my life to Time Magic."

It is known throughout Trebüshka that the Dust from the hourglass contains the pure essence of Space and Time. Enchanted by a sixth level spell of Time Magic, Absolute, the Dust would be able to fall at a constant rate throughout the world in sync.

With two suns in the sky, Trebüshka's time can be challenging to tell. With different solstice (In Trebüshka they use solstice and equinox to tell the season.) different length of day, differently cast shadows. It is very challenging for the Dwarves and Gnomes to make a device to tell time, much less sync it throughout the world.

'If the Court of Seers were to know this… hehe.'

More and more people from the crowds start growing restless as well.

"Hmph! I'm leaving."

Llyan was a noble's son, a being of reasons. He is quite hard-headed when it comes to his ambitions of being the best. He is ready to make a sacrifice and follow the 'right choice' according to his principle. He is unforgiving to others, and even more so to himself.

But even Llyan Capricio can't keep his calm when he sensed the robed person who he challenged walking leisurely to the Arena before the last drop of the Dust, making him wait like a patient little puppy.

He entered the arena. The reflected light shone from the half-mirror jewel on top of the staff, but none of the light was showing the shaded area from half of his face under the hood.

His robe's color is different from the usually saturated bright color of Magi's robe. It is not dark-colored, but is more unsaturated in a way that is complimentary. Coupled with unique patterns and symmetric emblem's in the chest, it is almost out of this world.

"Are you the Child of Fate?" He said with a casual tone, pointing at him.

"Hmph! You're just trying to make me lose my calm so I'll lash out at you rashly. I only see it as cowardice" Llyan said as he sneers at him. His gray hair flutter as if it portrays his furiousness.

His splendid light gray robes reached all the way to his knee, it's color matching his hair. With golden lines around the tight fit robe, it emits the noble air that people will expect from the gray-haired young adult. Maidens throughout the Coliseum would secretly wish for his sweat from his warrior-like body to be theirs, for they believed it to be aphrodisiac.

The announcer then went forward to lighten up the mood with enthusiasm.

"Ladies and Gentlemen what we may have here is quite peculiar for today's fight! On the challenger's side, we have the brightest star of the Moonlight Empire, the person deemed as the most prodigious man on his generation by the Supreme Mentor. He is able to Instant Tri-cast Natural Elements up to Tetraspel. Please welcome the Illustrious Magi, Llyan Capricio!"

"My prince! Please look at me!"

"I love you! I'm your biggest fan!"

"Llyan!"

"We love you Llyan!"

...

He ascends slowly as he kept himself calm. The crowd cheered madly, young maiden's beautiful voices of cheers make most male adult in the coliseum green in envy. Almost all people cheered at Llyan, nobody in the seat doesn't recognize the hero.

"On the challenged side, we have a wandering magi who came from a distant land of dreams, who have never lost once in Duel. Infamous for his mysterius series of bizzare spell no one has ever seen before. The Infallible Magi, Tasha!"

"Tasha! Tasha! Tasha!"

"Beat him up Tasha! I know you can do it! My manhood depends on you!"

"Show him what you got!"

"If you lose, I'll change my team and be gay cheering at him goddammit!"

The crowd cheered just as lively as he ascends to the arena. But mostly it's the guys and boys that cheered. They even came up with little chant and cheered in a more orderly manner unisonly.

Both of them face each other at around a 40 meters distance. The judge stood up from beside the king's platform. The reverberating voice resounded once more. Lustrious symbol of different kind appeared out of thin air circling the air around the arena. Circular, square, and triangle, the three most basic forms of geometry filled the air, glowing.

"Magi Llyan, re-state your challenge" the reverberating voices decreed.

"I challenge Magi Tasha, in an all-out All Fields Duel!"

"Very well. You may negotiate" the old voice softly said to them.

"Direct Physical Attack is not allowed. 

Winning condition: Incapacitation. 

Stakes: Ancient heirloom of a distant kingdom, Radiant Dragon Bracer capable of withstanding up to an Octaspel. And a staff, containing the secret in manipulating all aspect of Natural Elements." Tasha stated calmly.

The whole coliseum gasped. Cacophony filled the coliseum with rowdy voices.

"Bastard! Tasha you're despicable!" Weiss stood up and shouted.

"Silence! The holy Rites of Duel shall not be interrupted." The old Judge retorts. Waves of invisible pressure spread like a tsunami for a split second.  Silence filled the whole coliseum again.

Llyan was astounded, even his teacher might only have one Octaspel level Artifact. Not only that but he even had a staff containing the secret of Natural Elements manipulation? When was legend be so common and saint are like dogs? 

Llyan has no choice but to double down, he might just be able to pull all of his riches and savings to barely afford it.

"I accept. I shall pay in due for the Octaspel item. But for the staff..I can trade you one year access to the Moonlight Kingdom's Labyrinth of Lum-"

"But I refuse!" Tasha exclaimed, he seems to be making a weird pose for a second, by spreading his palm to his face and throwing his other arm to the side, but he then stood straight again.

The whole coliseum was stupefied again. 

All of the magi in the Moonlight Kingdom would dream to witness the magical Labyrinth just once, yet he refused so easily?

Llyan was unexpectedly rather calm about this as if he was expecting it.

"So you're already aiming something that I have," he grinned "just state you want." he confidently said.

As if he's been waiting for this moment, Tasha immediately replied with a sinister smile.

"I want your Loyalty. Serve me!"

The coliseum crowds turn rowdy again. Exclamation of surprise filled the entire arena, even the old Judge's voice can't calm them down at once.

Ignoring the clamor, Tasha continues.

"So tell me, are you the Child of Fate?"

2